replacing the current school board and superintendent

Posted in the Douglas Forum

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
mad_mom

Cairo, GA

#1 Apr 16, 2012
ok, lets get this rolling.. who do we have we can run to replace the entire school board that will also get us a superintendent that understands our county not one he came from..??

lets throw out some names and get behind these guys to get them to run. any thing has to be better than a used car salesman..

billy cliett has always been a yes man his whole career

bryan preston, wtf.. how did he even get on the ballot..??

mona moore, who the hell is she ??

donny chaney, in it for the insurance and would like to sale you a pos used car.

ronnie johnson, wears tacky suits and we all know why he's in it..

super intendent, morris leis .. thinks he's a doctor lmao and wants to model coffee county school system after atlanta's and also is putting our kids lives at danger so we can have a over paid foot ball coach that will fail as the rest have..

ok, so how do we fix this..??
honestly

Helena, GA

#2 Apr 16, 2012
Honestly it is going to take a couple of years. I know you don't want to hear that. You start by not re-electing any of the current board members. Replace them with people who will stand up to the super and he will get mad and leave.
dumbazz

Douglas, GA

#3 Apr 16, 2012
mad_mom wrote:
ok, lets get this rolling.. who do we have we can run to replace the entire school board that will also get us a superintendent that understands our county not one he came from..??
lets throw out some names and get behind these guys to get them to run. any thing has to be better than a used car salesman..
billy cliett has always been a yes man his whole career
bryan preston, wtf.. how did he even get on the ballot..??
mona moore, who the hell is she ??
donny chaney, in it for the insurance and would like to sale you a pos used car.
ronnie johnson, wears tacky suits and we all know why he's in it..
super intendent, morris leis .. thinks he's a doctor lmao and wants to model coffee county school system after atlanta's and also is putting our kids lives at danger so we can have a over paid foot ball coach that will fail as the rest have..
ok, so how do we fix this..??
I would like to say the first step in this process is for you to qualify to run for your BOE seat. Lets see how far your message goes. All you people want to do is run down the current admin while you don't even have the balls to post your real name......you're just plain pathetic!!
honestly

Helena, GA

#4 Apr 16, 2012
Where is your name, sugar?
dumbazz

Douglas, GA

#5 Apr 16, 2012
I am not complaining sugar! I am very happy with the way our school system is progressing.
yup

Enfield, IL

#6 Apr 16, 2012
How about you volunteer your time and go read to a kid or something. Make a difference. Running your mouth and cursing does no good at all.
wherE

Douglas, GA

#7 Apr 16, 2012
dumbazz wrote:
<quoted text>
I would like to say the first step in this process is for you to qualify to run for your BOE seat. Lets see how far your message goes. All you people want to do is run down the current admin while you don't even have the balls to post your real name......you're just plain pathetic!!
What's YOUR real name? Is it really, Dumbazz????? Just saying!!
Happyforus

Kathleen, GA

#8 Apr 16, 2012
Mad Mom let's see we have had many Super's in the last 12 years.We had a few board members replaced recently such as BRH,DT,RS,JJ and on and on.So some people are never satisfied.Give the current board some darn credit. No they are not perfect and me included. But for the pay they get and the crap they put up with. I say "Thanks to each of them for what they have been through during times we all could not see coming".Easy to blame people. Hard to step forward and take a role yourself unless you are running and trying to make others look bad.We must believe our best days are ahead for our kids.If we think Bad it wil be worse. God Bless us All !
mad_mom

Cairo, GA

#9 Apr 16, 2012
wherE wrote:
<quoted text>
What's YOUR real name? Is it really, Dumbazz????? Just saying!!
if i was betting, i'd say it was Chaney. they don't seem to like the idea of them getting booted out of office.

Get a back bone mr.chaney if you want to represent "us" the citizens. other wise, get ready to have a short stay with the rest of the board and superintendent. we have to many "yes" man in the BOE already. they will be replaced also, times of putting up with this corrupt form of politics is over in coffee county. citizens will take back control of our schools with a board "we" can trust. we don't give a crap about your "doctrine" degree. take it somewhere else.
mad_mom

Cairo, GA

#10 Apr 16, 2012
Happyforus wrote:
Mad Mom let's see we have had many Super's in the last 12 years.We had a few board members replaced recently such as BRH,DT,RS,JJ and on and on.So some people are never satisfied.Give the current board some darn credit. No they are not perfect and me included. But for the pay they get and the crap they put up with. I say "Thanks to each of them for what they have been through during times we all could not see coming".Easy to blame people. Hard to step forward and take a role yourself unless you are running and trying to make others look bad.We must believe our best days are ahead for our kids.If we think Bad it wil be worse. God Bless us All !
they have made some terrible mistakes already, lets see them work on correcting those first. our school system is bigger than a high school football coach, and for a coach to control a superintendent to the point of hurting the kids, i have no patience for such. we are not atlanta, macon, or even valdosta. our football program is sub par at best. at the end of next year when we have a losing football season again and current coach is shown the door, our kids are going to be the ones hurting. then it's going to be "why did we allow this to happen" ... but not me, i'm standing up now and saying enough..
OhMy

United States

#11 Apr 16, 2012
mad_mom wrote:
<quoted text>
they have made some terrible mistakes already, lets see them work on correcting those first. our school system is bigger than a high school football coach, and for a coach to control a superintendent to the point of hurting the kids, i have no patience for such. we are not atlanta, macon, or even valdosta. our football program is sub par at best. at the end of next year when we have a losing football season again and current coach is shown the door, our kids are going to be the ones hurting. then it's going to be "why did we allow this to happen" ... but not me, i'm standing up now and saying enough..
Mad Mama: Who peed in your cornflakes?
mad_mom

Cairo, GA

#12 Apr 16, 2012
OhMy wrote:
<quoted text>Mad Mama: Who peed in your cornflakes?
you can pee in my corn flakes all you want, but don't fu_ck with my kids.
Clean All

Ford City, PA

#15 Apr 17, 2012
My gosh...the girls as the office need to be picked thru also..some are snakes in the grass..
just here

Alma, GA

#17 Apr 17, 2012
wow give the folks a chance
wowsa

Helena, GA

#18 Apr 17, 2012
Crack is low class. I'm pretty sure he doesn't smoke crack. Start a more believable rumor than that.
mmm bop

Cairo, GA

#19 Apr 17, 2012
mmm bop

Cairo, GA

#20 Apr 17, 2012
looks like our superintendent has tried his program at other schools and it failed.. now he wants to bring it here so it can fail again and he'll pack up and leave..

funny how your past follows you Dr Morris

Daniel, a former Thomson football assistant, thought he would take over as head coach when Luther Welsh hung it up. But Welsh, who had been having medical problems, turned a corner and renewed his commitment to the program. He gave Daniel his blessing to look for other head coaching jobs.

Daniel had the experience. He coached Screven County to a perfect 15-0 record and the 2002 Class AAA football title. It didn't take long for him to garner an offer at Wayne County High.

The Yellow Jackets brought Daniel on as head football coach and athletic director. Daniel said he connected with the superintendent, a man Daniel said understood Wayne County's resurrection would be a process.

Problem: That man retired, and incoming Superintendent Morris Leis decided the program needed a new direction. Exit Daniel, to a full-time teaching gig -- at an elementary school. Enter former Lakeside football coach Jody Grooms, who was confirmed Feb. 9 as the Yellow Jackets' next coach.

The demoted coach recently said that he would like to continue his career as a head football coach. He said he would apply for Lakeside's vacancy, that he liked the Augusta-area schools, and that it "would be fun to swap with Grooms."

Daniel has his administrative certificate. He said he could fade away into a principal's role, but that he didn't feel ready to quit football.

The odds of a switcheroo with Grooms likely are not in Daniel's favor. First, the move would require a significant pay cut from the almost $105,000 salary he earned his last year as Wayne County's football coach. Second, there seems to be significant support among Lakeside football parents to continue what Grooms wrought during his three-season tenure.

Following that thinking, the most logical choice would be Jarrett Troxler, a Grooms assistant with a similar up-beat style and someone who knows the playbook (except, maybe, for the play that has been mentioned a time or two the past week. That page has been torn out).

But Lakeside principal Jeff Carney has shown he isn't afraid to go after a big name. Carney targeted Westside legend Gerald Barnes during the 2008 search for a Panthers baseball coach before hiring from within. Things could play out similarly this time.

Carney said following Grooms' approval in Wayne County he had already received numerous phone calls. Some of those expressing interest are bound to have solid resumes in Daniel's mold.

The pay and parents' feelings both will play parts in determining Lakeside's next coach. The search committee will conduct interviews the first week of March.

Until that second week, like Daniel, we will play the waiting game. In the end, someone's path will change.
mmm bop

Cairo, GA

#21 Apr 17, 2012
looks like he's also made some terrible descisions that have come back to bite him and even got ran off from wayne county lol.
Wayne County school system administrators say they want to take the award-winning Wayne County High School band in a new direction. Band members and their parents, however, say the program's already on the right path.
A packed crowd of 100 people - past and present band members, from flutists and clarinet players to drummers - packed the school board meeting Tuesday night to support longtime band director "Beth" Taylor.
Taylor, who taught music and led the band for 16 years and became like a "second mother" to many of its members, was abruptly fired and an interim band director appointed to replace her.
No reason has been given publicly for Taylor's dismissal."It is an absolute disgrace and a travesty to pull Mrs. Taylor out of Wayne County High School," Dana Kopecinski, the mother of a former band student and spokeswoman for the grass-roots group rallying support for Taylor's reinstatement.
"I'm asking you to look into your hearts. If you truly want to do what is best for our children, leave Mrs. Taylor at Wayne County High School," said Kopecinski, one of 15 people who spoke on Taylor's behalf at the board meeting.
Taylor nor her lawyer could be reached for comment before or after the meeting. Taylor did not attend the meeting or an earlier rally by her supporters who have launched a growing Facebook campaign on her behalf.
State law enforcement authorities told the Times-Union they were not involved in and did not know of any criminal investigations of Taylor.
Citing personnel privacy laws and potential litigation, Superintendent Morris Leis declined comment about the circumstances of Taylor's departure.
Leis, however, confirmed Taylor is no longer band director. "At this point, we're moving forward with our protocols," Leis said. Gathering support
The Facebook page "Support Mrs. Elizabeth Taylor" boasted more than 400 members Wednesday evening, including several who are collecting letters of support including anecdotes about her integrity and dedication as a teacher, which will be submitted to her lawyer.
The online effort includes a letter from Valdosta State University's band director Joe Brashier, asking colleagues to write letters on Taylor's behalf that he intends to give to her lawyer.
The school board listened attentively without comment to Taylor's supporters but took no action in the matter.
"We understand people are concerned and we appreciate their passion for the band program, but we can't talk about it," Leis said after the meeting.
Parents and band members said school system administrators and school board members owe them the truth and proof.
"I believe the board owes us an explanation. It's our right to know as taxpayers," said Kopecinski, who like many, left the board meeting frustrated.
Meanwhile the band program, which has been recognized statewide and nationally for excellence, is moving forward, Leis said.
"We've appointed an interim band director and will be going through the process of hiring a new band director in the next month or two," Leis said.
But there's only one true leader of the band, students - many with tears in their eyes - told school board members, and that is Taylor.
mmm bop

Cairo, GA

#22 Apr 17, 2012
continued...

"She is a second mother to me, my role model and my mentor ... She is my heart and my soul," said Meghan Wagoner, a 2009 graduate who played the clarinet in the high school band.
Wagoner was among several past and present students who recounted examples of Taylor's integrity, honesty and "tough love" discipline which has guided them in academics and in life.
Taylor routinely went into own pocket to buy food or pay band-related expenses for students who could not afford it on their own, several supporters told the board.
Some parents told the Times-Union that Taylor has used as much as $8,000 of her own money for the band.
"She was everything to me. She taught us how to be loyal and to have discipline and to never give up. She is that one teacher who you never forget about," said Brenda Lewis, a 2009 graduate who played the clarinet, trumpet and baritone.
As she left the meeting, Kopecinski said she was hopeful.
"I think we might have changed a few minds tonight. I hope so," Kopecinski said
mmm bop

Cairo, GA

#23 Apr 17, 2012
JESUP, Ga.- Wayne County school system administrators say they want to take the award-winning Wayne County High School band in a new direction. Band members and their parents, however, say the program's already on the right path

packed crowd of about 100 people - including past and present band members, from flutists and clarinet players to drummers - packed the school board meeting Tuesday night to support longtime band director Elizabeth "Beth" Taylor.

Taylor, who taught music and led the band for 16 years and became like a "second mother" to many of its members, was abruptly fired and an interim band director appointed to replace her last Thursday.

No reason has been given publicly for Taylor's dismissal, which has triggered vague innuendos of misused funds and rumors of wrongdoing throughout the county and the close-knit community of band directors statewide.

"It is an absolute disgrace and a travesty to pull Mrs. Taylor out of Wayne County High School," Dana Kopecinski, the mother of a former band student and spokeswoman for the grass-roots group rallying support for Taylor's reinstatement.

"I'm asking you to look into your hearts. If you truly want to do what is best for our children, leave Mrs. Taylor at Wayne County High School," said Kopecinski, one of 15 people who spoke on Taylor's behalf at the board meeting.

Neither Taylor nor her lawyer could be reached for comment before or after the meeting. Taylor did not attend the meeting or an earlier rally by her supporters who have launched a growing Facebook campaign on her behalf.

Local and state law enforcement authorities told the Times-Union they were not involved in and did not know of any criminal investigations of Taylor.

Citing personnel privacy laws and potential litigation, Superintendent Morris Leis and school board leaders declined comment about the circumstances of Taylor's departure.

Leis, however, confirmed Taylor is no longer band director. If a dismissal hearing is held, it would be open to the public, he said, but none had been scheduled as of Wednesday, indicating at this time she has not asked for one.

"At this point, we're moving forward with our protocols for handing personnel issues of this nature," Leis said. "There is due process and we will make sure the law is followed."

Gathering support

The Facebook page "Support Mrs. Elizabeth Taylor" boasted more than 400 members Wednesday evening, including several who are collecting letters of support including anecdotes about her integrity and dedication as a teacher, which will be submitted to her lawyer.

The online effort includes a letter from Valdosta State University's band director Joe Brashier, asking colleagues to write letters on Taylor's behalf that he intends to give to her lawyer.

On Tuesday night, the school board listened attentively without comment to Taylor's supporters but took no action in the matter.

"We understand people are concerned and we appreciate their passion for the band program, but it is a personnel matter and we can't talk about it," Leis said after the meeting.

Parents and band members said school system administrators and school board members owe them the truth and proof.

"I believe the board owes us an explanation. It's our right to know as taxpayers," said Kopecinski, who like many, left the board meeting frustrated.

Trying to change minds

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Welcome Douglas Signs are Junk 1 hr city skeptic 5
southern slang expressions (Jul '12) 1 hr amen 55
Tutoring Services 2 hr Tchr 1
Christmas Lights 2014 8 hr no name 4
Douglas sub-contracts out Water Department 8 hr On Scene 9
Lady Causing issues about Price Matching at Wal... 9 hr Shopoholic 1
Walmart Customer NO Service 9 hr Shopoholic 45
Douglas Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web