Admit it, the CC School System is in a mess!

Posted in the Douglas Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
OhMy

Fitzgerald, GA

#1 Jul 19, 2011
What can be done to revive the system?
No one is perfect! Everyone has made mistakes. If you think you are perfect, look in the mirror and think again!
All this finger-pointing is getting us nowhere.
Retired teacher

Moultrie, GA

#2 Jul 19, 2011
Reminds me of the Republicans and the Democrats!
just wondering

Ashburn, GA

#3 Jul 19, 2011
It is never too late to "fix" anything. Our system is a work in progress but certainly in good enough shape to move forward. The first step is admission. People need to be willing to admit when they've messed up, acknowledge their mistakes, and do whatever is necessary to repair damage. Some good, old-fashioned work ethic and integrity is all that is required. Drop all the personal agendas and keep Coffee County's children first and all will be well. It might take some blood, sweat, and tears but our children are worth it!
Mouth

Oglethorpe, GA

#4 Jul 19, 2011
When the state comes in and takes over, who are these folks that want to run the school system, going to complain to? Will their complaints get any results? I believe a big can of worms has been opened! Congratulations!!!
really

United States

#5 Jul 19, 2011
just wondering wrote:
It is never too late to "fix" anything. Our system is a work in progress but certainly in good enough shape to move forward. The first step is admission. People need to be willing to admit when they've messed up, acknowledge their mistakes, and do whatever is necessary to repair damage. Some good, old-fashioned work ethic and integrity is all that is required. Drop all the personal agendas and keep Coffee County's children first and all will be well. It might take some blood, sweat, and tears but our children are worth it!
well said
Retired teacher

Moultrie, GA

#6 Jul 19, 2011
just wondering wrote:
The children ARE worth it! I retired because old-fashioned ideas about teaching, as well as hard work and integrity, were neither encouraged nor recognized. "They" wanted change, change, change! "They" threw out all that worked and replaced it with new, modern, and different! "They" actually paid thousands of dollars to teach us how to teach in this new-fangled way...everyone teaching the same thing on the same day, in mostly the same way. There is no room for a teacher's own style of teaching. Best practices, my foot! And whoa! All the personal agendas! People who only spent a short while in the classroom, were teaching old-timers how to teach. Use some common sense, people!

Change can be a good thing, if it incorporates the best of the old with the best of the new. Unfortunately, we threw out the baby with the bathwater.

We need to go back to the basics...starting with Pre-K and K, and build up from there. Get rid of testing, testing, testing, for the sake of testing! Use a combination of old and new ideas to get back on track. After all, our world is changing. Using some common sense along with all of those Ph.D.'s would help!
toodles

Fitzgerald, GA

#7 Jul 19, 2011
I hear the BOE has called a meeting tomorrow at 2:00. Perhaps to name a Supt? Also, heard they stated that they believe noone will even show up because the community doesn't care. Well didnt they just get in trouble for having meetings when the community is not able to attend? They don't exactly make it easy for anyone. I agree there are way too many personal agendas not only with the BOE members but at the BOE itself. They hire people without posting jobs or making sure they are qualified. They run hard working teachers off because they do have innovative ideas or they make someone else look bad because eveyone doesn't play nice. Some administrators have their own agendas and some do not even see their teachers on a daly basis and have no idea of what is happening in their own school. It is sad to say common sense does not come with those PH.D's and it does not come at the hand of our board either. Teacher's and kids need to be first and their poinions should matter because they are the ones in the classroom everyday facing real issues.
SouthGADawg

Lawrenceville, GA

#8 Jul 19, 2011
Here is the agenda:

There will be a called meeting of the Coffee County Board of Education at the offices located at
1311 South Peterson Avenue, Douglas, GA, on Wednesday, July 20, 2011, at 2:00 p.m.
Agenda below.
AGENDA
COFFEE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
CALLED MEETING
July 20, 2011
2:00 p.m.
1. Call to Order Chairman Billy Cliett
2. Adoption of Agenda Chairman Billy Cliett
3. Naming of New School Superintendent Chairman Billy Cliett
4. Executive Session
5. Adjournment Chairman Billy Cliett
tour guide

Thomasville, GA

#9 Jul 19, 2011
toodles wrote:
I hear the BOE has called a meeting tomorrow at 2:00. Perhaps to name a Supt? Also, heard they stated that they believe noone will even show up because the community doesn't care. Well didnt they just get in trouble for having meetings when the community is not able to attend? They don't exactly make it easy for anyone. I agree there are way too many personal agendas not only with the BOE members but at the BOE itself. They hire people without posting jobs or making sure they are qualified. They run hard working teachers off because they do have innovative ideas or they make someone else look bad because eveyone doesn't play nice. Some administrators have their own agendas and some do not even see their teachers on a daly basis and have no idea of what is happening in their own school. It is sad to say common sense does not come with those PH.D's and it does not come at the hand of our board either. Teacher's and kids need to be first and their poinions should matter because they are the ones in the classroom everyday facing real issues.
Really, teachers and teachers care but fear repricusions for standing up. It is wrong how things are done here. Both supt candidates have enough skeletons to fill a walkin closet, so odds are no change is in sight.
conservative taxpayer

United States

#10 Jul 19, 2011
Coffee county has the best schools, the best people, and to me the best place to live. I am from here all my life, my kids, my grandchildren,and I invite anybody else to share this county with me. People who think we are in bad shape go to Detroit, NYC, a ninth grader there has a 35 percent chance of making it to the twelth grade much less graduating. No thank you, people want to solve all the problems those places will welcome you with open arms. Believe in the people you vote for, help support the board. Its funny, sacs and state board as big of power houses as they are can not impose taxes....need I say more. That's the whole issue everything else was a draw play while the qb ran to the gov using sacs as the ref. Them are not true coffee countians and need to be run out on a rail.
Teacher

Adel, GA

#11 Jul 19, 2011
Remember people, the problems the Coffee County school system face with SACS has nothing to do with what goes on in the classrooms. The teachers in Coffee County are going above and beyond the minimum requirements to educate our children. Check our scores! The problems we face are directly related to the Board of Education!
justwondering

Ellaville, GA

#12 Jul 19, 2011
So...tour guide, we know Mosely's skeletons but what about ML?
conservative taxpayer

United States

#13 Jul 19, 2011
Would not know...did not know he was in the running until announced. Maybe should be a new thread...If could make a write in: I would suggest Coach Mathis, I received a real education under his watch. There's my kinda man. None barred we will suceed, we coffee countians have a competive spirit that will make us number one in the state, who knows maybe the nation. God bless our teachers.
Coffee Co Born and Bred

Columbus, GA

#14 Jul 19, 2011
conservative taxpayer wrote:
Would not know...did not know he was in the running until announced. Maybe should be a new thread...If could make a write in: I would suggest Coach Mathis, I received a real education under his watch. There's my kinda man. None barred we will suceed, we coffee countians have a competive spirit that will make us number one in the state, who knows maybe the nation. God bless our teachers.
Clayton Mathis was a superior educator.

However, he did not apply for Supt. Of the people who applied, the BOE came up with 2 finalist -- Leis and Mosely. By Law there is a 14 day waiting period prior to the BOE making a final selection so that the community can speak. In this instance, I believe that the community has spoken loudly and clearly that they believe Morris Leis to be the best candidate of the two finalist presented. Tomorrow we will find out our BOE decision.

At that point, regardless of the decision, we have to support the guy selected to lead Coffee County. The sun is going to rise in the East and the Yellow Buses are going to roll and we need to be in a position to take care of our most prized possessions!
MOUTH

Oglethorpe, GA

#15 Jul 19, 2011
Hey Coffee Co Born and Bred! Don't think you have the authority to speak for all the people in this county! I do not agree that ML is the right candidate for the job! He (ML) needs to stay where he is now employed, that is if they will have him! Don't think there will be a rush to hire him from too many counties!
Coffee Co Born and Bred

Columbus, GA

#16 Jul 19, 2011
Mouth... There were two finalist for the position... Leis and Mosely.

The majority of the County chose Leis over Mosely. I think that you see this in the voting tomorrow by the Board.
Breaking News

Gainesville, GA

#17 Jul 19, 2011
Coffee Co Born and Bred wrote:
The majority of the County chose Leis over Mosely. I think that you see this in the voting tomorrow by the Board.
Contrary to what the public wants, the public does NOT get to vote on superintendent - the BOE makes that vote. I might be in the dark here, but I didn't notice any polls being takin on public opinion of superintendent, so I don't know how you can say what majority of the county thinks. What we'll see tomorrow is what the BOE has been persuaded or strong armed into doing.
MOUTH

Oglethorpe, GA

#18 Jul 19, 2011
Coffee Co Born and Bred wrote:
How did you arrive at that information? Oh, forgot the rumor mill at the county office! Don't doubt anything that comes from there! A bunch of sour pusses if ever there was a bunch in one place. All a bunch of battle axes,pushing, biting and stabbing for the next promotion.
Here

Gainesville, GA

#19 Jul 19, 2011
justwondering wrote:
So...tour guide, we know Mosely's skeletons but what about ML?
Dunno if this is a skeleton, but it's interesting. The coach he hired at his last county had a winning reputation, but what was known for runniing an illegal play.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/high-school/grooms-...
http://savannahnow.com/sports/2010-02-17/groo...
Coffee Co Born and Bred

Columbus, GA

#20 Jul 19, 2011
MOUTH wrote:
<quoted text>How did you arrive at that information? Oh, forgot the rumor mill at the county office! Don't doubt anything that comes from there! A bunch of sour pusses if ever there was a bunch in one place. All a bunch of battle axes,pushing, biting and stabbing for the next promotion.
No it is not from the county office (No Battle Axes on this one)... I believe that the first you will see of this is a letter from your State Senator Goggans and it is my understanding that there will a follow-up letter in tomorrow's paper from Rep Sims.

They both represent Coffee County! They have nothing at stake at the BOE!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
teacher at freshman campus 54 min Chile please 44
Cindy Bounds... 1 hr C Bounds 19
nymphos, cheaters, prostitutes (Jul '11) 4 hr stamina 24
Blake Wright 6 hr knows all 4
Interesting article on Susan Latan Weeks from 2001 (Mar '13) 13 hr angeleyes 34
Needing one please (Oct '12) 20 hr Susanco 4
Douglas Sinkhole (Feb '10) 21 hr Raymond 63
More from around the web

Douglas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE