First Prev
of 2
Next Last
mom365

Douglas, GA

#1 Jun 9, 2012
I have young children starting school this year. I know other school systems do but does CC have pre-k or kindergarten graduation for the kids? Sorry I am new to the school system and don't know what they do here? I know where I am from they do both and I think my niece had a kindergarten graduation at Pearson elem in atkinson co. Does anyone know?
really

Kittanning, PA

#2 Jun 9, 2012
Most of them do not. I would suggest getting a cap and gown and taking some pics if that is your main concern.
mom365

Douglas, GA

#3 Jun 9, 2012
It isn't my main concern. My main concern is my child going to a school system that is so messed up.
Makes Sense to Me

Hahira, GA

#4 Jun 9, 2012
Unfortunately, many schools systems in Georgia are in that same shape and worsening due to the economy and politics. You can consider Citizens Christian Academy, private, and a few other private schools run my churches, all of which you pay for including property/school tax. Best to worry about your child and the immediate school they have to attend and get to know your teachers. Not all decisions affect all of the children, within reason, but worrying about the whole picture will continue to make you sick! Just take it one year at a time. Know your kids' teachers and the school admin. One day at a time is a good thing in many cases.
huh

Douglas, GA

#5 Jun 9, 2012
Why have a dumb graduation from Pre-K? Graduation is when you get a diploma from high school or another institution. NOT PRE K.

What a waste of time.
duh

Kittanning, PA

#6 Jun 9, 2012
Because it might be the only graduation they get to attend. Duh.
mom365

Douglas, GA

#7 Jun 9, 2012
Yes it may be dumb to you but I am sure there are some pre-k kids smarter than some who graduate high school with diploma. Come on just look at the way people spell. I know I am not a perfect speller but compared to some people I see I am a genius.

I was asking a simple question about if CC had it. Do I really care if they do have it No, not really. I was curious.

There are some serious A$$holes on here.

Oh yeah huh to me makes people sound dumb. Not the person above, people saying it.
fact checker

United States

#8 Jun 9, 2012
Broxton Elem. Has a graduation...cap gown everything
Seamstress

Fitzgerald, GA

#9 Jun 9, 2012
mom365 wrote:
I have young children starting school this year. I know other school systems do but does CC have pre-k or kindergarten graduation for the kids? Sorry I am new to the school system and don't know what they do here? I know where I am from they do both and I think my niece had a kindergarten graduation at Pearson elem in atkinson co. Does anyone know?
I believe all of the elementary schools have a small graduation ceremony for their kindergarteners as well as their fifth graders. The middle school also has a type of graduation for their 9th graders.
Seamstress

Fitzgerald, GA

#10 Jun 9, 2012
Sorry, that should have been 8th graders, not 9th graders.
there you go

Kittanning, PA

#11 Jun 9, 2012
Well there you go. It must be a good school then. Because it is cute to put little kids in grown-up garb. Maybe they could have a prom too? The pre-K class could host the prom for the kindergarteners. Wouldn't that just be presh?(I'm throwing up in my mouth...just a little.)
there you go

Kittanning, PA

#12 Jun 9, 2012
I'm also sure that those who graduate from kindergarten are certain to graduate from high school. Right? Get me a grant and a literacy coach pronto so we can redeliver these findings.
up to par

United States

#13 Jun 9, 2012
mom365 wrote:
yes, they do. My daughter was in kindergarten this year at Indian Creek and they had graduation with cap and gown. I also work with school system and have to travel to several elem and saw the others having similar ceremonies.
I think

Douglas, GA

#14 Jun 10, 2012
Seamstress wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe all of the elementary schools have a small graduation ceremony for their kindergarteners as well as their fifth graders. The middle school also has a type of graduation for their 9th graders.
The middle school has a crossover, no cap and gown. It is also part of their honor's day program. It is nice. I don't like the idea of a kindergarten graduation. I don't believe there should be a cap and gown until twelfth grade. Perhaps kindergarten should just have a crossover, but the children would probably enjoy an extra field day even better.

My question is, who buys those caps and gowns for kindergarten children? I had a child graduate high school, and I know those items are expensive.
Not Really

Kittanning, PA

#15 Jun 10, 2012
The cost was only 50.00 dollars for everything involved in the kindergarten graduation. The smiles on the faces of the kids and their parents was worth much more. I think it is a great thing to do, and I believe it really instills a sense of accomplishment in the minds of these young children. School should be fun , tough and rewarding. I dont see where rewarding kids for accomplishing their goals does anything but help them and their futures!
Attention

Austell, GA

#16 Jun 10, 2012
yes they do
up to par

Atlanta, GA

#17 Jun 10, 2012
I think wrote:
<quoted text>The middle school has a crossover, no cap and gown. It is also part of their honor's day program. It is nice. I don't like the idea of a kindergarten graduation. I don't believe there should be a cap and gown until twelfth grade. Perhaps kindergarten should just have a crossover, but the children would probably enjoy an extra field day even better.

My question is, who buys those caps and gowns for kindergarten children? I had a child graduate high school, and I know those items are expensive.
they are bought once and then washed and re-used each year.
I think

Douglas, GA

#18 Jun 10, 2012
Not Really wrote:
The cost was only 50.00 dollars for everything involved in the kindergarten graduation. The smiles on the faces of the kids and their parents was worth much more. I think it is a great thing to do, and I believe it really instills a sense of accomplishment in the minds of these young children. School should be fun , tough and rewarding. I dont see where rewarding kids for accomplishing their goals does anything but help them and their futures!
I definitely believe in rewarding students, but I think kindergarten graduation is done because it is cute, not because of some great accomplishment. Every child is going to finish kindergarten. At least, I've never heard of a sixteen-year-old dropping out of kindergarten.

I think that money would be better spent on handing out certificates or gifts to the children who best learned to share, got the least discipline marks, did the most community service (nursing home patients love visits from small children), learned to read the most words, ran the fastest, etc. Handing out rewards because it is cute dilutes the award and recognition system. At least, that is what I think. However, I do respect other people's opinion even when I disagree.

I also think every child does something worth recognition, even if it is that they only got in trouble once this week instead of five times. I say, make the awards and recognition real, not just cute. Recognize throughout the year, not just some cute cap and gown session at the end of the year that does not indicate real accomplishment. Again, just my opinion.
Makes Sense to Me

Hahira, GA

#19 Jun 10, 2012
I'm not highlighting the removal of "Proud to Be an American" song from the service, but that the service is called a "moving up ceremony" versus a graduation for kindergartners. A wonderful idea.

NEW YORK A New York City principal has pulled the plug on patriotism by preventing students from singing "God Bless the USA" at their graduation.
The decision has sparked fireworks at a school filled with proud immigrants.
Greta Hawkins, principal of PS 90, the Edna Cohen School, will not allow kindergarten students to belt out the beloved Lee Greenwood ballad, also known as "Proud to be an American," at their moving-up ceremony.
Five classes spent months learning the patriotic song, which skyrocketed in popularity after the 9/11 attacks and the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
It was to be the rousing finale of their musical show at the June 20 commencement. The kids, dressed up for their big day, would wave tiny American flags -- which, as the lyrics proclaim, "still stand for freedom."
But Hawkins marched in on a recent rehearsal and ordered a CD playing the anthem to be shut off, staffers said. She told the teachers to drop the song from the program.
"We don't want to offend other cultures," they quoted her as explaining.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/10/nyc-prin...
revlon

Montezuma, GA

#20 Jun 10, 2012
up to par wrote:
<quoted text>
yes, they do. My daughter was in kindergarten this year at Indian Creek and they had graduation with cap and gown. I also work with school system and have to travel to several elem and saw the others having similar ceremonies.
WEST GREEN DONT DO CAP AND GOWN JUST A NICE PROGRAM

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fake a** people in Douglas. 1 hr just saying 8
ISO: Douglas tanning salon with a stand up tann... 9 hr Tanner123 1
shooting/sucidie??? Mon blahhhhhhhhhh 1
why did they divorce? Aug 21 just saying 76
Looking for Pediatrician or Family Doctor in Do... Aug 20 Lilly 1
education in pearson (Oct '16) Aug 19 Lakeside 5
HS board says .... we can all do whatever. No ... (Oct '16) Aug 19 Sdybdy 21

Douglas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance