FCA ( Faith Christian Academy)

Posted in the Douglas Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Misty

Perry, GA

#1 Dec 14, 2012
My son goes to FCA and we were told today that the school year would not continue after the holidays. FCA has to be out of the building by Monday Afternoon for the new owners. There were many hearts broken today with our close knit family. I hope the new owners can rest easy tonight because I will be up all night wiping the tears from my son's face.
Bammy

Decatur, GA

#2 Dec 14, 2012
Can they do that?
Will they still have class?

Please further explain.
FCA Parent

Sycamore, GA

#5 Dec 15, 2012
This should not have been put on this forum. Misty, who ever you are, you should not have put this forum.

No one lied. The school didn't own the building. The church did and the church went bankrupt. So the building was sold to another church. They got a good deal for their church. End of story.

Thanks a lot Misty. The parents are trying to get another building and I really appreciate you informing Douglas and Coffee County of all are needs.

Will you be the first to donate money to make sure our children receive a Christian education?

FCA still exists. They just need a building to hold classes.

Please make all tax deductible contributions to FCA.

Thank you very much.
tuition

United States

#6 Dec 15, 2012
Well, you pay tuition. Does none of that cover rent? How much rent are you willing to pay? And what are the needs of the building? How large, how many rooms, etc. Looks like ya'll need to look really fast into becoming a charter school and petition for it thru the board of ed.
FYI

Warner Robins, GA

#7 Dec 15, 2012
FCA as a charter school would be a good idea for this community, but I'm afraid they would need a much larger building to accommodate all the flood of those coming from the public school system. The BOE would never approve that, less money in their pockets!

Are there any empty church buildings that could accommodate the school? What about the old Lumber 84 building? Is there a church that would be willing to rent facilities to the school during the school week? These are options. They would have to adjust until they are able to find a more permanent location.
parent

Jacksonville, GA

#8 Dec 15, 2012
What about the old Catholic church social hall it already has classrooms set up in it
FYI

Warner Robins, GA

#9 Dec 15, 2012
That building is for sale. I do know that it is being sold according to the Catholic Church price, so negotiating can be difficult. The building also has some structural problems due to the bomb shelter underneath. It may do for the time being, but need correcting during summer break. It is an option but depends upon the price. Renting it to the school would be better than it standing vacant and the Church loosing money each day it doesn't sale. They could do a trial rent to determine if it meets their needs and then purchase if found to do so.
buncha molesters

Douglas, GA

#10 Dec 15, 2012
these fly by night schools are notorious for being a haven for child molesters. If I recall correctly this school had a molestation scandal just a few years ago. Shameful and disgusting people.
welllll

United States

#11 Dec 15, 2012
what are the students supposed to do? everyone there is so behind they cant go to public schools.
FYI

Warner Robins, GA

#12 Dec 15, 2012
You do have a point. This school was based much like a home schooling plan with teachers that were not certified in specific content or any content, but people willing to help for free or little pay. Good idea, but the education needs rigor to be successful. This is an opportunity for them to restructure and start fresh and rigorous.
ammendment

United States

#13 Dec 15, 2012
The local board might vote it down, but the amendment passed in November and they do not get the last say. If they vote it down, take it to the next level. That is why the amendment passed. Local boards would only do what was best for them, not the children. What about the building by Ranchero's that the old Alt. school was in?
FCA Parent

Douglas, GA

#14 Dec 15, 2012
We parents are working on a solution.

If anyone has any solid leads or can offer a building, with restrooms and a kitchen, please call the school and speak with the headmaster.

Thanks.
Durr

Douglas, GA

#15 Dec 15, 2012
A Georgia charter school is a public school. The charter organization enters into a contract with the state dept of education. While freed from many of the requirements in Title 20 of Ga code governing school operations, the charter contract must guarantee student achievement meeting or exceeding the contract or the charter is revoked. Charters may not exclude anyone based on race or religious affiliation, etc.
FCA Parent

Douglas, GA

#16 Dec 15, 2012
FYI...the curriculum is rigorous. Especially the honor's program. Plus, the students have to maintain and earn an A in the honors program, which for this school is 100-95. No added 5 points to the grade like at CHS.

Great, Christian based curriculum. Thanks for asking.
FYI

Warner Robins, GA

#17 Dec 15, 2012
ammendment wrote:
The local board might vote it down, but the amendment passed in November and they do not get the last say. If they vote it down, take it to the next level. That is why the amendment passed. Local boards would only do what was best for them, not the children. What about the building by Ranchero's that the old Alt. school was in?
The old Ombudsman Building might be too small, but the old CC Alternative School/Vacant old BOE might do for size, bathrooms, and kitchen. The old Ombudsman might have all the needed materials too but location might be costly.
parent

Jacksonville, GA

#18 Dec 15, 2012
FYI wrote:
That building is for sale. I do know that it is being sold according to the Catholic Church price, so negotiating can be difficult. The building also has some structural problems due to the bomb shelter underneath. It may do for the time being, but need correcting during summer break. It is an option but depends upon the price. Renting it to the school would be better than it standing vacant and the Church loosing money each day it doesn't sale. They could do a trial rent to determine if it meets their needs and then purchase if found to do so.
Isnt the old bomb shelter underneath the Baptist church next door?
The man

Baxley, GA

#19 Dec 15, 2012
are these kids to special to go to public school?
FYI

Warner Robins, GA

#20 Dec 15, 2012
FCA Parent wrote:
FYI...the curriculum is rigorous. Especially the honor's program. Plus, the students have to maintain and earn an A in the honors program, which for this school is 100-95. No added 5 points to the grade like at CHS.
Great, Christian based curriculum. Thanks for asking.
Anyone can "earn" an A if the teacher has a lax exam, open book tests, or grading process. The student achievement on norm referenced testing will prove the rigor of the instruction.
Blueberry muffin

Kittanning, PA

#21 Dec 15, 2012
i was told all the students did was get infront of a computer! real way to learn!
welllll

United States

#22 Dec 15, 2012
the ciriculum is a great way to learn, but its a work at your own pace and some of the students are not right on track, or are in the middle of a course. noone said they are to special for public school. they are more than capable but if the parents wanted their children in public school they would have been there in the firt place

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Valerie Batten 7 hr Melissa 91
Ashlee E 7 hr HoneyBooBoo 2
Joe lott 9 hr really 2
matt is back in dixie (Aug '15) 13 hr curious 8
Dewey Hayes arrested? (Jun '17) 17 hr Henry123 49
Kiss and Tail 19 hr smack down 3
fetish (Feb '17) Fri Juju2 49

Douglas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance