Another Bad wreck on Broxton/ Fitz hwy
sara

Douglas, GA

#184 Nov 13, 2012
Nikitif1 wrote:
Can someone please post a website or newspaper that has this story? I have been searching forever and cannot find anything. Thank you.
Douglas enterprise's website has the story combined with the other wreck. Here it is:

November 12, 2012 3:41 PM EST

Luke Roberts
Enterprise Staff Writer

Tragedy struck Douglas and Coffee County on early Thursday morning, November 8, when a five-year old child was killed in a two-vehicle traffic accident in Douglas. The child was not properly restrained and was partially ejected from the vehicle and later died as a result of injuries at Coffee Regional Medical Center. A separate accident occurred later on Thursday night near Broxton on the Old Fitzgerald Highway, which resulted in a two-year old having to be life-flighted to Savannah. The two-year old child was also not properly restrained at the time of the crash.

According to law enforcement officials, five-year old Tahj Campbell was traveling in a Chevrolet Impala early Thursday morning around 7:00 a.m. when his mother, 26-year old Angela Carter, swerved across three lanes of traffic and struck basically head on with a large Ford pickup truck on Highway 441 just in front of the Elk’s Lodge in Douglas.

Campbell, who was unrestrained, was partially ejected from the vehicle and later passed away as a result of injuries he sustained in the crash.

His mother, Angela Carter, was also taken to the hospital and treated for injuries.

The driver of the pickup truck, 70-year old Bernard Duncan from Florida, was not seriously injured.

Sadly, a child safety car seat was located in the backseat of the vehicle in which Campbell was traveling. An officer at the scene said the child “likely would not have been seriously injured” if he was properly restrained in the seat.

The Georgia State Patrol’s Specialized Collision Reconstruction Team came from Valdosta to investigate the crash later on Thursday.

It is not known if any charges will be filed in the case.

On Thursday evening around 5:00 p.m., another two-vehicle crash occurred outside of Broxton near Deberry Church on the Old Fitzgerald Highway.

Georgia State Patrol officials told The Enterprise on Friday morning that a Mitsubishi Montero SUV driven by 20-year old Rebecca Holcomb of Douglas failed to yield at a stop sign on the Old Fitzgerald Highway and was struck by a Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck driven by 57-year old Jerome Day. The impact caused the Mitsubishi SUV to overturn in a ditch, which resulted in a two-year old passenger being ejected from the vehicle.

State Patrol officials said the child was not properly restrained. State Patrol officials also said that there was a car seat in the vehicle, but it was not strapped in.

The two-year old child, the daughter of 18-year old April Worth, who was also a passenger in the SUV, was life-flighted to Savannah where she remains in stable but critical condition. Worth, Holcomb, and another passenger, 20-year old Nicole Torpea, in the SUV were not seriously injured.

Day also escaped serious injury, as did his 15-year old grandson, who was a passenger in the truck.

Individuals at the scene said immediately after the accident Day assisted those in the SUV and also refused any medical treatment until the two-year old was treated and taken to the hospital.

Charges in the accident are “pending,” according to GSP officials.

The Enterprise sends prayers and condolences to Campbell’s family and friends. The Enterprise also sends prayers to all those involved in the evening accident.
AshamedofU

Adel, GA

#185 Nov 13, 2012
No Help wrote:
The mother of the child murdered her kid by not securing her baby properly and allowing that selfish bride to be drive like an idiot but now they want us to pay for the funeral?
Wow..I have never been ashamed to say I was from Coffee County until now. I am shocked at how insensitive so many of you are. If you will read the prayer page on FB, they are NOT ASKING YOU TO PAY FOR THE FUNERAL! They are asking anyone who WANTED to show respect by sending flowers to instead donate that money to the funeral. They aren't asking anyone to spend money that they weren't already planning on spending.
I hope and pray that the family doesn't read any of this and if they do I hope they know that they are loved and supported by many many people.
karen davis

Fitzgerald, GA

#186 Nov 13, 2012
if any of you have ever been down that hwy you know how hard it is to see around the curve coming from fitzgerald my cousin almost hit a car there last week that didnt see her coming around the curve and pulled out infront of her. andrea yall are in my prayers just pay no attention to all the crap these heartless people are talking. just remember yall know the truth thats all that matters.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#187 Nov 13, 2012
nana wrote:
<quoted text> he driver should be charged for sure it is not the mothers fault and this driver or drivers family has not made a effort to contact the worth family or the brier family the driver needs to be in jail for her stupidity my grandbaby died becasue of her and she needs to be sitting in jail and i want justice
Why is it not the mothers fault? It was her that was to buckle the baby into the seat..and it was her that should of seen the seat was buckled in as well.

Location hidden

#188 Nov 13, 2012
brother wrote:
<quoted text>
addie the baby was buckled into the carseat, the baby was the ONLY one wearing any safety so shut your mouth, the baby was properly inteaded to. i sat there busting the front windshield out gettin to my family and friends. they stopped at the stop sign and the guy in the silverado was speeding going around the corner where a stop sign is and hit them not even slamming on brakes and smashing into a tree after the suv, they did n ot help get them out the suv they was cussing at the neighbor telling them to get there ass inside, the ambulace and the family helped get them out, i watched out for addie the baby until she took off into the helicopter
You Liar..you can not protect either of those women with your lies. I'll not mention names..the suv driver ran the stop sign and was hit by the oncoming pickup..that poor man was also sent to the hospital..the driver was the only one out of 6 people in the suv not hurt. The baby and carseat both went out a window when the suv was broadsided..and that my friend is the truth.

Location hidden

#189 Nov 13, 2012
Alvin curt Holcomb wrote:
bitch are you retarded Rebecca didn't do anything!! she stopped the guy was speeding and didn't stop, it was an accident anyways, but ima let y'all be "mature" adults and talk ish
Rebecca ran the sign..there are witnesses. Don't try to protect someone guilty of this sort of crime.

Location hidden

#190 Nov 13, 2012
Alvin curt Holcomb wrote:
I put my name on here so whoever wants to be a smart ass they can add me on facebook and I'll be glad to tell you what exactly happened since people on here act like they know stuff but they don't, I'm the brother of the girl, really close friends to Nicole torpea and April worth, and my friend stormy saw the hole thing, my sister stopped at the stop sign looked both ways (keep in mind there is a sharp turn on this 2 way) the guy in the Silverado was going well over the speed limit and went around the curve and without slowing down or slamming on brakes he smashed into my sisters car, and then kept going leading him into a tree, he got out screaming and cussing at stormy who was getting out her car to call for help and cussing at the neighbor who stepped outside her yard, he said in his words " get your G.D ass back inside woman" he did not help my sister, Nicole, April, or addie, he walked around, and when the ambulance got there he sat down saying his heart was hurting, me and my family and a couple of friends helped make sure everybody was okay, but if you got anything else to say just contact me so I can tell you the truth of what happened
Your lies will not bring that baby back or save rebecca..man up don't try to do a coverup, it's already under investigation..was from day 1.
okay

Jesup, GA

#191 Nov 13, 2012
abitajoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Your lies will not bring that baby back or save rebecca..man up don't try to do a coverup, it's already under investigation..was from day 1.
From someone who was NOT there, and did not WITNESS it, sure does think they know alot about the 'truth'. Do you always believe everything you hear?

Location hidden

#192 Nov 13, 2012
granny wrote:
where did the newspaper get there facts from? cause we got pictures of were the setbelt broke and none of the people involed as been questioned by the officers either
hmmm must of been a very big girl to have broken a seatbelt..it holds huge people in even suspended from the roof of a car..one I heard was hanging upside down for 3 days before found.

Location hidden

#193 Nov 13, 2012
sam wrote:
<quoted text>
It was in the Douglas Enterprise newspaper. They might put it on their website in a few days. It says according to GSP the lady failed to stop at a stop sign and was hit by the truck and the child was not properly restrained.
That's right I am not at freedom to say more..but so many are going to be shocked when the rest of the story comes out...

Location hidden

#194 Nov 13, 2012
sam wrote:
<quoted text>
It was in the Douglas Enterprise newspaper. They might put it on their website in a few days. It says according to GSP the lady failed to stop at a stop sign and was hit by the truck and the child was not properly restrained.
is correct..and when the rest if the story comes out a LOT of people are going to be shocked!
guesswho

Douglas, GA

#195 Nov 13, 2012
does the word party fit into this little story?
Info

United States

#196 Nov 13, 2012
And I know the driver of the silverado and is MY FAMILY, I know this is a lie because he called his wife right after the accident because she is a nurse to come help, the ambulance didn't even know a child was in the wreck until his wife saw her in the ground and started assessing her and even rode in the ambulance assessing her until they reached the hospital!!!!! As for the speeding i wouldnt know i was not in the vechicle but i so know he has never been much for driving fast, but like i said i was not in the vechicle. As for the cussing I've known this man ALL MY LIFE and he would never use the lords name in vein as a matter of fact I believe I've only ever heard him cuss one my entire life and it surely was not that word!!!!! He wasn't texting because he doesn't even know how to text! Your talking about a good man who has served his country and done tours over seas just so you have your right to spread lies about him on here. I work at the hospital and was there Thursday night (he night of the wreck) and know the state patrol man that worked that wreck and he CLEARLY STATED THERE WAS NO WAY THE WRECK WAS HIS FAULT. Now I'm not blaming the driver of the car because accidents do happen and unlike your ignorant self im just thankful no body else was seriously hurt, with that being said and straight I do continue to pray for your family and mine and all that was involved
abitajoy

Saint Maries, ID

#197 Nov 14, 2012
guesswho wrote:
does the word party fit into this little story?
That I don't know, sorry..you might ask some of those that were taken for the wild ride.
abitajoy

Saint Maries, ID

#198 Nov 14, 2012
granny ANDREA MOORE wrote:
<quoted text>
YOUR A HEARTLESS BITCH LEAVE US ALL ALONE THANK GOD U WASNT THERE TO WITTNESS ANYTHING. I DID I KNOW FACTS BE CONCIDERATE OF ALL THE FAMILYS!!!!!THIS IS A HARD THING TO GO THREW AND YALL ARENT HELPING
You were not there, you was not one of those in that car running the stop sign and.....You probably do know the rest of the story but chose to create a lie and not live with truth.
Oh yes btw your lack of vocabulary and language is quite impressive, great influence for a young person if there is one exposed to it.
chelsey

Moultrie, GA

#199 Nov 14, 2012
abitajoy wrote:
<quoted text>
You Liar..you can not protect either of those women with your lies. I'll not mention names..the suv driver ran the stop sign and was hit by the oncoming pickup..that poor man was also sent to the hospital..the driver was the only one out of 6 people in the suv not hurt. The baby and carseat both went out a window when the suv was broadsided..and that my friend is the truth.
was you there...hell no. stormy was actually the only witness. unless you were the driver in the truck..you dont know what the hell happened. get off here you dummy....and i thought the enterprise was suppsed to interview the witnesses???
George

Cairo, GA

#200 Nov 14, 2012
Reality wrote:
Needs to be a 4 way stop on east and west hyways sun is awfully in your eyes here at this stop where the wreck occurred
There DOES NOT need to be a 4 way stop there! and NO the sun can not be in your eyes at this Stop sign if you are headed north.
George

Cairo, GA

#201 Nov 14, 2012
karen davis wrote:
if any of you have ever been down that hwy you know how hard it is to see around the curve coming from fitzgerald my cousin almost hit a car there last week that didnt see her coming around the curve and pulled out infront of her. andrea yall are in my prayers just pay no attention to all the crap these heartless people are talking. just remember yall know the truth thats all that matters.
You can see around the curve looking toward Fitzgerald for almost 1/2 mile. and you can see around the curve looking toward Broxton for over 1/4 mile.
shame

Moultrie, GA

#202 Nov 14, 2012
abitajoy wrote:
<quoted text>
That I don't know, sorry..you might ask some of those that were taken for the wild ride.
ha! just busted you out on another forum...you are so hypocritical. so... a wreck where there IS proof that it was the young girls fault you take up for the girls??? but when you dont know the whole story of this wreck...you bash on it??? tell me how that makes ANY since...your such a reject. sayin" lets hope something like this never happens to you" lol you so dumb
George

Cairo, GA

#203 Nov 14, 2012
The buzzards are already circling anyway. In the past couple of days there has almost been a need for someone to direct traffic at the intersection. There have been several attorneys and various people with them there taking pictures and pointing fingers. Maybe they will call some of you "eye witnesses" to testify as to what exactly you saw, and back up what you have been saying on here.
This was a terrible and tragic event that those involved will have haunting them for the rest of there lives.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dairy Queen 4 hr Lydia 49
Fireworks 4 hr Lydia 1
White Power! 7 hr stamina 11
What ARE you doing? Right now. (Dec '09) 7 hr drool bandit 7
new churchs chicken (Apr '14) 14 hr drool bandit 56
Pot or Meth? (Jul '08) 14 hr drool bandit 55
whatch out for your topix name to be used by th... 18 hr really 40
More from around the web

Douglas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE