Catawba or Catalpa worms & trees

Posted in the Douglas Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
PinkFlamingo

Flowery Branch, GA

#1 May 17, 2011
I have an interest in a Catawba worm tree. My Dad has several trees but there are no worms on them. Do any of you fishermen know how to start a dormant tree to produce worms or where you can just buy the worms. For you folks that don't know what I am talking about they look like black/green caterpillars and catfish LOVE them. Thanks for any info on this subject!
Felix

United States

#2 May 17, 2011
Are the trees being sprayed with pesticides?
stormypetrel

Douglas, GA

#3 May 17, 2011
Contact the Coffee Co. Extension office. Talk with Mr. McGriff. He ought to have the information you need.
PinkFlamingo

AOL

#4 May 17, 2011
stormypetrel wrote:
Contact the Coffee Co. Extension office. Talk with Mr. McGriff. He ought to have the information you need.
Thanks! Will do.
DouglasNative

Moultrie, GA

#5 May 17, 2011
PinkFlamingo wrote:
I have an interest in a Catawba worm tree. My Dad has several trees but there are no worms on them. Do any of you fishermen know how to start a dormant tree to produce worms or where you can just buy the worms. For you folks that don't know what I am talking about they look like black/green caterpillars and catfish LOVE them. Thanks for any info on this subject!
I have some catawba worm trees. They usually have a good many worms on them. None so far this year, but will post when I do have some.
PinkFlamingo

AOL

#6 May 17, 2011
DouglasNative wrote:
<quoted text>I have some catawba worm trees. They usually have a good many worms on them. None so far this year, but will post when I do have some.
OMG! GREAT!!
wormy

Gainesville, GA

#7 May 17, 2011
take some off of another tree and put them on yours. that is what we did and it worked
wormss

Boyertown, PA

#8 May 17, 2011
Do not spray the ground under them, that will kill the ones in the dirt. If you put worms on them they will go down in the ground then come back and lay eggs.
PinkFlamingo

AOL

#9 May 18, 2011
Thanks so much...mystery solved!
PinkFlamingo

AOL

#10 May 20, 2011
wormss wrote:
Do not spray the ground under them, that will kill the ones in thane dirt. If you put worms on them they will go down in the ground then come back and lay eggs.
I asked my Dad (85 yrs. old) this morning if he had sprayed the yard. We started talking about the lack of worms and he said the ants were carrying them away a few years back and that he had indeed sprayed around the Catawba trees.
chris larsen

Saint-félicien, Canada

#11 Mar 23, 2012
i saw somone selling pupa on ebay
Just saying

Perry, GA

#12 Mar 23, 2012
They usually are a male and female tree and the worm are more on the female than male.. Male tress are the ones that produce the seed pods. Or I may have that turned around. I have about 6 trees and they get on some of the trees and the other one they don't mess with.. Weird I know. plus with all the ants they eat alot of the eggs.
pops

Douglas, GA

#13 Mar 23, 2012
I do not beleave God made the fire ant
Glenn

Myrtle Beach, SC

#14 Apr 18, 2012
Does anyone know if these trees cand b rooted or do you growthem from seeds?
toni

United States

#15 Aug 3, 2012
How do i keep the ants from eating the eggs before they hatch
SammieSue

United States

#16 Aug 3, 2012
Glenn wrote:
Does anyone know if these trees cand b rooted or do you growthem from seeds?
I don't know about seeds, but the trees can be rooted.
SammieSue

United States

#17 Aug 3, 2012
toni wrote:
How do i keep the ants from eating the eggs before they hatch
Maybe put ant poison on the ground around the tree. I really don't know, but that makes sense. Call the extension office. Wasps are my problem.
joe

Belzoni, MS

#18 Apr 14, 2013
Catappa trees do produce a seed pod. I had several sround my grandfather country store he sold worms for bait. I usually mow over small trees but now very few remain. I often thought the worms nested in a near by wild cherry tree due to large silk nest full of worms.
Shenika

Fitzgerald, GA

#19 Apr 14, 2013
can I put fire ant powder around my tree? Or will that harm the worms?
caveman

Nashville, GA

#20 Apr 14, 2013
Ug

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hair Salon 16 hr FlossyHairGal 1
Nosey neighbors in Baymeadows Wed youre chicken Bay... 29
Meth head spouse Wed tiredspouse 1
Don't use Chancey Heating and Cooling! (Apr '13) Wed Baymedd 32
Bleached Blonde Bimbo Tue aliceinwonderland 4
Appliance Repairman (Feb '11) Tue Because 11
Bad Weather Dec 6 Lol 2

Douglas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance