First Prev
of 2
Next Last
we are screwed

Ford City, PA

#1 May 9, 2012
Has anyone attended the so called discussion about going to a Charter School System? Being screwed again by the Super. Not the rosie picture he is painting it to be. Already caught him in lies.
Been there

Fitzgerald, GA

#2 May 9, 2012
we are screwed wrote:
Has anyone attended the so called discussion about going to a Charter School System? Being screwed again by the Super. Not the rosie picture he is painting it to be. Already caught him in lies.
Be specific about what lies you are talking about. Also,lets have a good discussion about why you think a Charter System would "screw" us? Dont want to get into a pissing match, I want to understand what others think so I can form a better opinion for myself. I dont know enough about the make up of a charter system and what we are hoping to accomplish with its implimentation to argue either way, but I am doing my homework so I will be better informed.
If you have some facts to share, I would love to hear them.

Thanks!
wondering

Fitzgerald, GA

#3 May 9, 2012
My main concern with the charter system is the lack of accountability. If we were good with our money, we would not be in the mess we are in. Funny how nobody talks about the financial crisis anymore. Kind of makes you wonder what they have up their sleeve?
Wow

Meansville, GA

#4 May 10, 2012
And he said we would get an extra $700,000 ($100) per child, which is not true. Students must meet a certain criteria to qualify and most in our county do not qualify. I hear it will only be a $80,000 -$90,000 come up, but will give them the freedom to do whatever they want! They have less accountability in many areas including the hiring process and the speeding of funds! We do not need a charter system as we have proven that we do not spend money well already! Charter systems allow admin to hire people in classrooms without educational backgrounds... Meaning you get teachers that might be good in math, but have not been properly trained to teach it to our children!!! Just because you are good at doing something doesn't mean you can adequately teach others to do the same. Who's willing to sacrifice their children's education for an experiment??? I know I'm not!!!
sisterinlaw

Fitzgerald, GA

#5 May 10, 2012
Too bad there isn't some actual research of schools in Georgia who have a charter school system. It would be good to hear from both employees and parents about their thoughts on this. Maybe the DE will rise up and do a real news report on this subject. I too would like to be better informed by hearing both INFORMED sides of the subject.
Been there

Ford City, PA

#6 May 10, 2012
A Charter System is not the same as a Charter School. From what research I have done so far, there are many more checks and balances than are in a school put into the system. I have talked to some teachers and I have not heard the negative comments one would expect if they were worried about non certified teachers being brought in to do their jobs.I do think that having successful people in their feild involved in teaching our kids is a great idea. I find that most of those people are great teachers by nature and are more than willing to teach others what made them great at what they do. The problem that I find more often than not is that they are very staight forward in the way they teach and dont accept mediocrity or excuses, which is not what alot of our kids and parenets want to hear. I will def. look into that possibility in more detail though. What I am hearing is that there will be more accoutability to parents, and the local business community along with consulting local colleges and tech schools on preparing our kids for life. Finally, I dont want to call this an experiment, as this modle has been around for some time and has been very successful in raising the graduation rates in many communities. I think that we need to do the hard work of customizing our schools into what our community needs are and the the doubly hard work of implimenting that system and monitoring is opeation. I do know that we can not continue down our current path. Still looking for more info so keep the concerns and conversation coming in.
Been there

Ford City, PA

#7 May 10, 2012
oops sorry about the spelling this morning.
parent

Ford City, PA

#8 May 10, 2012
I went to a meeting and of course it was 95 percent of people with the school system. They split into group to come up with ideas, all the groups wanted accountability from parents ( no one else just parents). Not a one of Educaters (adminstration) thought that the school should be accoutable. The super not tell the truth just what he want you to know. We the people are not going to have a vote, as far as adminstration is concern we are already in phase 2 of this. These meeting are not question and answer meeting (it already done)They don't care if were agree or disagree. Its business as usual. Disgusted with the way the BOE is handling this
Resourceful

Douglas, GA

#9 May 10, 2012
Putnam County. Eatonton Ga. A good example of a well executed charter system in a rural community.
parent

Ford City, PA

#10 May 10, 2012
Has any of the questions (concerning busing and the coverup of undocumented punishment and others) been answer from the last board meeting that was back in April? That all the board did is took questions NO answers.
Gun Runner

Harrison, OH

#11 May 10, 2012
Anything would be better than what we currently have. The Coffee County School System, once upon a time ago, a long time, produced large percentages of young men and woman that were well prepared to face their future, be it college, tech/trade school, the military, or the work force. That has changed and we must now adjust.

How many of the kids that are now in the 8th grade will graduate? How many will be on government subsistence 10 years after their senior class graduate? How many will be drug dependent? How many will be either in prison or worse yet dead?

Schools must also overcome bad parenting, or unfortunately, no parenting.

How do we achieve our requirement to educate our children?
Been there

Fitzgerald, GA

#12 May 10, 2012
To parent...Of course you have a say. It is not the easiest thing in the world to do but organize youself and others to have an agenda. Bring your ideas and concerns to the BOE meetings and have those ideas and concerns voiced and put on record. If you and your organization of like minded folks don't like the results you get from those ELECTED officals, find a canidate to run against them and vote the people responsible off the BOE.
Gun Runner...Amen!!
Wow

Newnan, GA

#13 May 12, 2012
Don't think we have a choice. The way the super presented it at te meeting this IS the direction our county is taking. And I think it is a greave mistake!
GeorgiaNative

Douglas, GA

#14 May 12, 2012
To switch to a charter school system has to be voted on by the voters.
GeorgiaNative

Douglas, GA

#15 May 12, 2012
Senate passes charter schools amendment resolution
By Wayne Washington
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
6:31 p.m. Monday, March 19, 2012
The full-court press legislators endured during the charter schools battle in the General Assembly now moves to voters, who this fall will get their chance to determine how much authority the state should have to approve and fund charter schools.

To read the rest of the article do a google search.
Teacher51

Kittanning, PA

#16 May 12, 2012
GeorgiaNative wrote:
Senate passes charter schools amendment resolution
By Wayne Washington
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
6:31 p.m. Monday, March 19, 2012
The full-court press legislators endured during the charter schools battle in the General Assembly now moves to voters, who this fall will get their chance to determine how much authority the state should have to approve and fund charter schools.
To read the rest of the article do a google search.
This article references charter schools, which will be voted on by Georgians in November. Coffee County Schools, like many others in the state, are seeking charter system status. These two things have nothing in common and are in no way related. I know the terminology is confusing, but trust me on this one. Charter systems are fine, but charter schools will pull tax dollars away from other public schools for the benefit of a few "elite" students. I support the system's efforts to get charter status, but will vote NO in November to the charter schools amendment.
GeorgiaNative

Douglas, GA

#17 May 12, 2012
Teacher51 wrote:
<quoted text>
This article references charter schools, which will be voted on by Georgians in November. Coffee County Schools, like many others in the state, are seeking charter system status. These two things have nothing in common and are in no way related. I know the terminology is confusing, but trust me on this one. Charter systems are fine, but charter schools will pull tax dollars away from other public schools for the benefit of a few "elite" students. I support the system's efforts to get charter status, but will vote NO in November to the charter schools amendment.
Very confusing. Thanks for the info.
Putnam

Douglas, GA

#18 May 18, 2012
Resourceful wrote:
Putnam County. Eatonton Ga. A good example of a well executed charter system in a rural community.
http://www.putnam.k12.ga.us/Portals/Putnam/Di...
Link to Putnam County charter petition.
mad

Douglas, GA

#19 May 18, 2012
I'm mad that "they" decide what is best for our kids. We elected the board to act on our behalf, not to act on the supers behalf. This is a bunch of mess.
Voter

Douglas, GA

#20 May 18, 2012
mad wrote:
I'm mad that "they" decide what is best for our kids. We elected the board to act on our behalf, not to act on the supers behalf. This is a bunch of mess.
That's funny, I voted for my bd member to act on my children's behalf.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
teacher at freshman campus 8 hr Chile please 44
Cindy Bounds... 9 hr C Bounds 19
nymphos, cheaters, prostitutes (Jul '11) 12 hr stamina 24
Blake Wright 14 hr knows all 4
Interesting article on Susan Latan Weeks from 2001 (Mar '13) 21 hr angeleyes 34
Needing one please (Oct '12) Mon Susanco 4
Douglas Sinkhole (Feb '10) Mon Raymond 63
More from around the web

Douglas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE