School

Nahunta, GA

#1 Jun 3, 2012
Anyone have any info to offer to a new student that wil be attending SGC in the fall and will be playing ball? Housing,activities,professors, classes and any other info that will help out!

“Play it again, Sam.”

Since: Oct 11

Casablanca

#2 Jun 4, 2012
Stay away from "the block". That's the most important piece of information I can give you.

The roles in the dining hall get stale after sitting under a lamp for an hour so eat lunch before one whenever possible.

Don't forget your academics. Sports are great but academic probation sucks.

Frank Pridemore is a well of political knowledge and he makes learning fun... but if you don't keep up with your reading - you will fail his class.

Yuna Chen is the best mathematics teacher on the planet - hands down.(she teaches macro/micro econ and statistics) if you get stuck or bogged down - let her know and she will work with you. Don't wait until it's too late.

Use the Academic Support Center. It's there for a reason - an hour of your day spent with a free tutor can make a world of difference in a class you're struggling in.

Have a great fall semester.:)
im curious too

Douglas, GA

#3 Jun 4, 2012
i have psych with holiwski right now and he is hands down funnest teacher ever, i have english with dinicola and his class seems like its goin to be so hard but hes very nice and passionate about teaching. Im just starting too and would like to know mainly what teachers to avoid.

“Play it again, Sam.”

Casablanca

#4 Jun 4, 2012
im curious too wrote:
i have psych with holiwski right now and he is hands down funnest teacher ever, i have english with dinicola and his class seems like its goin to be so hard but hes very nice and passionate about teaching. Im just starting too and would like to know mainly what teachers to avoid.
Andrew DiNicola isn't a hard teacher. He's a stubborn, pig-headed, passionate teacher. He's very talented and outspoken and he is an asset to South Georgia College as an English instructor as well as a theater coach. He's very much in your face in the class room but not in a bad way. He pushes his students to view the world around them from a perspective other than their own.

He's very strict when it comes to his MLA formats and proper writing etiquette but he will never fail to inform you (and the rest of the class)when he believes your work has passion, deeper meaning or exhibits scholarly learning. If you take his 1102 class, you will at some point, have a deep desire to bludgeon him with his MLA format and his own LENS but you will walk away from his class with a deeper understanding of yourself. And, you will thank him for it.

Holiwski is the arch-nemesis (and best friend)of Dr. Steverson and if you take either of their classes you will always be entertained by their fake hatred of each others professions. One teachers Psychology and the other teaches Sociology.(and never the twain shall meet!)

As for whom to avoid.... I must confess that there is only one instructor at SGC that I have avoided taking classes with simply because their teaching style and personality traits are fairly legendary around campus. I go to school to learn and getting A's handed to me when I don't have to work for them goes against my grain - therefore I don't take their classes. I won't post the instructors name on this forum though because I also do not believe in idle gossip or mudding up people's reputation or name (especially when I do not have first hand facts) based on the word of others.

Welcome to SGC!:)

“Play it again, Sam.”

Casablanca

#5 Jun 4, 2012
Oh. Rolls, not roles. Haha, I'm awesome.
Avoid

Kersey, PA

#6 Jun 4, 2012
Avoid L E Terrell and her husband at all costs...unless you want to have your head talked off with opinion after opinion. Oh, and have a blessed day and a lovely afternoon.
4channer

Pearson, GA

#7 Jun 4, 2012
Dr. Choo's science classes are hard as nails. Try to get someone like Dr. Luke if you're taking Biology and don't want to struggle through it.

Kevin Mason's history classes are really easy; he teaches straight off the powerpoints. You don't even need the textbook for his class.

LE's right about Holiwski and Steverson. They're both amazing and their classes are fun.
uraidiot

Douglas, GA

#8 Jun 4, 2012
Avoid wrote:
Avoid L E Terrell and her husband at all costs...unless you want to have your head talked off with opinion after opinion. Oh, and have a blessed day and a lovely afternoon.
you dont even know her or her husband and all you know about her is what she posts on here
I have actually took classes with her an I can tell you shes smart as hell and shes somebody you want on your side in a fight thats for damn sure
idiots like you are the reasons this sight sucks so bad.Just because she dont take your crap is the only reason you dont like her
HAVE A BLESSED DAY
really

Nashville, GA

#9 Jun 4, 2012
I'm an idiot? It is a site, not sight. It is "she doesn't", not "she don't".

I know all about obnoxious, non-traditional students.

You took classes with her because she has taken every class known to man at SGC.

However, please forgive me for not caring for opinionated know-it-alls. My bad.
Classes

Nahunta, GA

#10 Jun 12, 2012
Registered for classes and have Wisefor English and Mason for History. The rest just have Staff by them so I don't know who will be teaching.
lalala

Douglas, GA

#11 Jun 12, 2012
what are the other classes you registered for? Sometimes they say staff but you have a 50/50 chance of getting the same teacher that taught it the semester before.
Classes

Nahunta, GA

#12 Jun 12, 2012
Pre-Calculus & Chemistry 1211 have staff by them right now. ANy advice on who I do not want for any of these classes or who is the best is greatly appreciated.

“Play it again, Sam.”

Casablanca

#13 Jun 12, 2012
Classes wrote:
Pre-Calculus & Chemistry 1211 have staff by them right now. ANy advice on who I do not want for any of these classes or who is the best is greatly appreciated.
STAFF beside a class usually signifies that either no one has been assigned to teach that class yet or that no one is available to teach it.

You might want to have other classes on the back burner that you'd be willing to take in their place because if there is no instructor available to teach it - it will be dropped from the schedule.
lalala

Fitzgerald, GA

#14 Jun 12, 2012
I cant really tell you who would be a good teacher for those classes. I believe SGC is still trying to hire someone for those classes. I think Westwood teaches Pre-Calc. He is a very nice man and always open to help when you have questions. My fav teachers were Mason, Kelley, Johnson, Futch, and Steverson. I never had Howiski and I regret I never took one of his classes. I've always heard he was a wonderful teacher. I liked SGC, the teachers were always nice and willing to teach....if your willing to learn.
English

Nahunta, GA

#15 Jun 18, 2012
So would I rather have KElley or Wise for English?
Anon

Pearson, GA

#16 Jun 18, 2012
Wise is awful twitchy. Like a squirrel on something. He's also really nice. Class is a bit boring though. Everyone was falling asleep at the end of class when I had him for Brit Lit.
lalala

Perry, GA

#17 Jun 18, 2012
Id pick kelley. I loved her classes

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Baymeadows Fireworks? 8 hr Mr Jerry 2
Cracker Barrel (Oct '15) 9 hr Bobo 17
Lawn care 11 hr Unknown 1
Bedgood Girls (Jul '12) 13 hr Ccs 13
Wal Mart Shop Lifters 17 hr wertytyu 3
Tina kirkland 18 hr Your confused 24
441 trailer park Tue egg man 1

Douglas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance