School septic system problem symptom of bigger issue?

There are no children on the playground at Dorr Elementary School this week. Instead, an orange snow fence blocks off the area above the school's tile field, part of the precautions taken after sewage seeped to ... Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
strong woman

Hudsonville, MI

#41 Mar 24, 2008
Sharon wrote:
Its time for the taxpayers to get some relief from all of the liberal thinking that has attached itself to our government. Strong Woman believes we should just keep pissing it away for the schools, while the kids get dumber. I agree with ShortSitedOne. They feed you a line of crap, and its all for the kids. what a bunch of Bull. The schools have not tried to cut back or control their spending, and they still want more. Way to go Dorr citizens for voting down one more load of crap!!!
Who is it for if not the kids? A school absolutely cannot run a bond prop. for salaries...

And why would you say kids are getting dumber? Kids aren't held to high expectations by adults (especially parents), that is a major problem. Society thinks they are a bunch of screw-offs (just like society did in the 50's) so why would they disappoint us? Parents who EXPECT great things from their children are usually not disappointed. The same with teachers with high expectations...

Hopefully we all remember a time in our youth when someone pushed us. And we proved to them, and ourselves that we were not "dumb". Think about your words, and think about how many adolescents read them here.

This is not about liberal vs. conservative. But if that is what you want to make it, fine. My conscience is clear. I think a defining difference between the two sides is that liberals are grateful for what they have, and want to see others succeed. Conservatives feel they don't have enough, and want as much as they can amass. I can see the perks to both, for sure. In this competitive society, we need both types of people. Thanks for being the yin to my yang.

I want to make my world better. I always will feel that way. And your harsh words and (common) expletives won't change that.
ShortSitedOne

Whitehall, MI

#42 Mar 24, 2008
Federal grant? 1/3 of Michigans budget comes from Federal dollars that we need to allocate for priorities in Michigan and turtle fences are NOT one of those! Whether its Federal, State, County or local, they are all tax dollars, the peoples money, and we are sick of them spending it on crap like turtle fences, when we have schools in disarray with sewage problems, that is exactly why we are saying this is ENOUGH. When public servants cant priortize and use public money wisely, then the people's only recourse is to say NO! Then maybe they will finally listen.
See here for more info (facts) on turtle fence.
http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_article.aspx...
jerry

Benton Harbor, MI

#43 Mar 24, 2008
Yea!!It's a PLUMBING Problem. Not a septic system failure. Thank you channel 8 for the update. Such a pity it took so long to detect--they had this problem last year? We would love to talk to school officials, both times I have called they are 'out of the building' and never return the call.
ShortSitedOne

Whitehall, MI

#44 Mar 24, 2008
I called the Superintendant today at 11:00 am this Monday morning and asked that she return my phone call and she never did? Whats up with the Superintendant of Wayland Union School?
strong woman

Hudsonville, MI

#45 Mar 24, 2008
ShortSitedOne wrote:
Federal grant? 1/3 of Michigans budget comes from Federal dollars that we need to allocate for priorities in Michigan and turtle fences are NOT one of those! Whether its Federal, State, County or local, they are all tax dollars, the peoples money, and we are sick of them spending it on crap like turtle fences, when we have schools in disarray with sewage problems, that is exactly why we are saying this is ENOUGH. When public servants cant priortize and use public money wisely, then the people's only recourse is to say NO! Then maybe they will finally listen.
See here for more info (facts) on turtle fence.
http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_article.aspx...
Ok---I totally apologize for bringing up the turtle fence. It was an example...I didn't mean for it to monopolize this thread....
ShortSitedOne

Whitehall, MI

#46 Mar 25, 2008
Byron Center Residen wrote:
We recently purchased a new home in Byron Center and the first question we asked was whether it had city sewer and water.
I would never invest in a home with a septic system or well water.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080324/ap_on_he_...

I sure hope you dont get salmonella from your city water! I will just drink my well water, the way God intended water to be natural!
Concerned Parent in Dorr

Caledonia, MI

#47 Mar 25, 2008
I too am thankful for the update on the issue. We also received a letter home from the principal yesterday filling us in on the details. Thank heavens for a responsible and caring principal in charge. The children were kept inside to keep them safe from an unknown at the time. They are now allowed to go out again.

I also want to clarify that the school did not tell the students to hold it. It's the nature of a child to do this under the circumstances.

However, this may have been a canned problem this time. Still a symptom of a bigger issue that I hope the Wayland District takes care of before the end of this school year.

The toilets will still back up and our children will remember the gross incident and refrain from going to the bathroom as much as possible.

The only thing we can do is continue to ask questions. And ask questions again. Then again for good measure! And watch the playground! I will.
ShortSitedOne

Whitehall, MI

#48 Mar 25, 2008
There is a baseball softball field that is fenced in so children can go outside to play, that was not affected with water.
ShortSitedOne

Whitehall, MI

#49 Mar 25, 2008
ShortSitedOne wrote:
I called the Superintendant today at 11:00 am this Monday morning and asked that she return my phone call and she never did? Whats up with the Superintendant of Wayland Union School?
Eivor Swan, the Superintendant of WUS just called me and let me know that the problem at Dorr School had nothing to do with the drain field, but a broken pipe that was letting water into the system. Thank you so much Eivor for your return phone call, you sound like a very reasonable intelligent minded individual, now we can all rest knowing she has a handle on things. Sounds like she is the one we need to communicate with instead of the assistant's, which I will.
irritated parent

Caledonia, MI

#50 Mar 27, 2008
Please don't give our Superintendant any credit. She is not running our school well. This whole septic issue has not been handled correctly. Trying to fool the public (or lying) is never a good way to get your self out of anything.

Her M.O. is not giving parents too much information...she thinks keeping us in the dark makes her job easier.

But this is a septic problem.We have had a known septic problem for YEARS at Dorr Elementary. The staff is aware as well as the parents. It is no secret.

We did have raw sewage on the playground. It stunk very badly outside as well as the bathrooms. It was as if someone had turned over a porta potty.

She is blaming it on a broken pipe...or snow run-off I saw in the GR Press. What a joke. We have 500 kids in a cramped school with not adequate facilities. This should have been fixed years ago. It is maintenace that the school is responsible for...not the township.

The Superintendant has a no confindence rating from most staffers as well as parents. But, how can we get her to leave before she does more damage.

ShortSitedOne

Whitehall, MI

#51 Mar 27, 2008
Its called voting for a school board who listens to the majority of people. If you are not in the majority, forget it. Thats democracy.

When people dont vote, we get what we deserve! Not saying you dont vote, but many dont, and they have nothing to complain about.

Just my 2 cents.

The health department came out and checked the drain field and said it was the pipes, not the drain field. I listen the professionals who know what they're doing. They checked the system and tested the water, they said its good, she relayed the finders, so I will go with that. Everyone has their own opinions, I make mine with facts and evidence made by professionals who have expertise in drain fields.
irritated parent

Caledonia, MI

#52 Mar 28, 2008
Thanks for your two cents on democracy and voting.

I am a parent who is in the schools a lot. I grew up in this area and went to this school district. I tried to give this woman the benefit of the doubt over and over. She continues to fail.

She will put a spin on everything and she has mastered the skill of circular logic.

It is easy to talk to her and feel she "knows" what she is talking about. But, she is not running our school well and that is the bottom line.

There have been no improvments on any levels since she has arrived. I love this school and hate to say that.

This whole septic issue...she will act like it is a new problem and just a fluke thing with the pipes. Not the case. She has been putting of fixing things for years due to money that she would rather get from the township or bond.

She took all keys away from Dorr employees on Friday and changed locks to the school. She told them they may "only" come in during school hours. She claimed it was due to the sewer issue? That know she claims we don't have.

She is almost impossible to trust. So I commend you for continuing to trust her and make your own opinions. That is great. So many people are doing that and in the meantime she continues to tear away at the fabric of what makes Wayland Union Schools so great...the people.

She is tearing them down and wearing them out. It is very sad to see.
Dorr Homeowner

Caledonia, MI

#53 Mar 28, 2008
I agree wholeheartedly with "irrated parent". As far as the professionals go that Shortsited One is talking about, they are professionals who help each other when needed. Dorr has an absolutely TERRIBLE problem with their septic systems. Many of the NEWER homes in the NEWER developments are already on their 2nd or 3rd drainfield. Many of these homeowners claim that their lots were not perked properly (although there is paperwork showing it passed). Remember, politics are EVERYWHERE. It is all in WHO you know, not necessarily what is RIGHT. Take a look at when many of the newer homes were built. Isn't it nice for the builders and the developers to have their spouses on the Dorr Township Planning Committee to help pass these for them? Many homeowners who are on their 2nd or 3rd drainfield have stated that they would be a part of a class action lawsuit against if someone else initiated it. Face it, nobody wants to shell out thousands of dollars for a new sewer system, but the need for them is definately there.
Redd

Palatine, IL

#54 Apr 2, 2008
Interesting reading. I am against the project for several reasons,,but not necessarily because I dont see the value in it. However, some of the remarks like 'poop on shoes', etc,,well its kind of funny..wasnt that long ago, when we all didnt have indoor plumbing:)I like 'voting' for schools, also, but I want more of a voice in what needs are as opposed to 'wants'. Schools are ridiculous these days. Our standards are ridiculous. I am not just going to blindly support education, when the answer means dipping into my pockets, again. Show me the data that supports the spending of that money, and its benefits to education..higher reading scores, etc..? Bottom line is, schools, government,,etc, should at least do what the average constitutent does when things get tight..batten down the hatches. New school signs a few years back, had they been passed by, and perhaps let one of our local artists design something that really stood out, for a lot less,,would have given money for new drain fields? I dont know..maybe not. I just know when the money is low here at home, and gas prices go up,,etc..I have to tighten the ole belt. I wont even go into the fact that I know some of the wages of school personnel. I think ppl would be shocked. Im all about making a good wage, etc..but for this kind of a project,,if it goes through, it should come out of every persons pocket that lives in the community, not just a choice few. Definitely not thought out. Anyways..just some ramblin thoughts:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dorr Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Farmers Disposal in Dorr MI legitimate company? (Nov '11) Dec 18 Ron 41
jason lueer (Nov '07) Oct '14 the kids 9
Hearing aids (Jun '12) Sep '14 Peter Simmons 2
Debate: Obama-Marriage - Caledonia, MI (May '12) Aug '14 Sharon 6
Lamar Construction Co. files for bankruptcy aft... Jul '14 Robbed 1
14-f-m Jul '14 Jessika 1
Wayland bring an unsavory bite of Michigan to T... Jul '14 WaylandFan 1
Dorr Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web