24 Hour News 8 examines bridge safety...

24 Hour News 8 examines bridge safety in W. MI

There are 19 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Jul 30, 2008, titled 24 Hour News 8 examines bridge safety in W. MI. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

A deadly Minneapolis bridge collapse last year shed light on the nation's transportation infrastructure.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

bridge card holder

Salt Lake City, UT

#1 Jul 30, 2008
I know that bridge on College a block north of 96 was structurally deficient .
Fred F

Austin, TX

#2 Jul 30, 2008
You should check out the technology offered by this company. It seems like a better way to test bridges rather then a visual inspection.

http://www.matechcorp.com/
MrMunkey

Littleton, CO

#3 Jul 30, 2008
Well if Granholm (Gov.Greedy)had been watching the daycare scandal/situation closer,we'd have PLENTY OF $$ to fix the bridges..But as per usual they've suddenly found out or discovered that DEAD PEOPLE & CRIMINALS were given this money! SHAME ON GRANHOLM and her whole administration!!They make is shameful and careless for their citizens! Heaven help us ALL if even one of those bridges collapses and kills or injures innocent people!!!

Since: Nov 07

Denver, CO

#4 Jul 30, 2008
Is this some more propaganda to try and get more money out of the Taxpayers of this State ? It seems like you can always find something that needs more Tax Dollars ! Times are TUFF ! Maybe if the State did'nt waste OUR TAX DOLLARS (Child Care Worker Scam ) We would have money for things that we ALL NEED.
4 Justice

Grand Rapids, MI

#5 Jul 30, 2008
WOODTV REPORTS: We discovered about 10 percent of those are rated "structurally deficient" by the state. It doesn't mean the bridge is unsafe, only that the bridge could become unsafe if it isn't fixed.

Ok, so does the bridge have to collapse and someone die before they shut it down? That seems to be the logic for local and state levels.
Rocket Science

Lawrence, MI

#6 Jul 31, 2008
We can't fix a pot hole or oversee a day care budget.

How in the h.ell are we going to manage major infrastructure?

It's frightening what becomes of a civilization when you put it in the hands of uncivilized government.

Since: Jul 08

Chicago, IL

#7 Jul 31, 2008
Well even when they try to do repairs they screw up, take for example the Zilwaukee Bridge on I75, they are working on it and what do they end up doing cutting some main supports as they say by mistake, a job that was suppose to be done by the 1st of June is now going to take another 2 months, although I for one have never trusted that bridge and have always take business 75...

“Part of the uninformed masses.”

Since: Jun 08

Grand Rapids

#8 Jul 31, 2008
yeah, i have been in GR since 1994 and noticed back then there were boards under the over passes of the bridges on us131 between downtown and county line and wondered why... a couple years later i saw first hand when a chunk the size of a large boulder fell on the car in front of me. Scary cause only 68th street has been replaced in the last decade.
Buck

Lakeland, FL

#9 Jul 31, 2008
ohbrutus wrote:
Well even when they try to do repairs they screw up, take for example the Zilwaukee Bridge on I75, they are working on it and what do they end up doing cutting some main supports as they say by mistake, a job that was suppose to be done by the 1st of June is now going to take another 2 months, although I for one have never trusted that bridge and have always take business 75...
It’s the same old story; you get what you pay for.“Delays, poor workmanship, shortcuts…” all in the name of getting the lowest bidder. Here in Fla. A section of I75 Bridge had to be replaced. Two sections of the bridge had to be demolished removed and replaced due to a tanker truck accident. The work was completed in three weeks. How can we do it here and not in Michigan?
Ken

United States

#10 Jul 31, 2008
You go Buck. Agree 100%. This story is just typical of the media and government working together. "Leak" out that bridges are falling apart and we will raise taxes for the safety of the people. Then hire the lowest bidder and then fix it again in 3 years.
GR Mich

Tulsa, OK

#11 Jul 31, 2008
uninformed citizen wrote:
yeah, i have been in GR since 1994 and noticed back then there were boards under the over passes of the bridges on us131 between downtown and county line and wondered why... a couple years later i saw first hand when a chunk the size of a large boulder fell on the car in front of me. Scary cause only 68th street has been replaced in the last decade.
I thought it was 72nd that was replaced, but that doesn't really matter. The only reason that bridge was replaced was because a semi hauling a boom lift hit the bridge beams because the boom wasn't all of the way down for transport.
Earl Deetz

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Jul 31, 2008
Yes, right. All of you here are correct. You should all be president.

Keep refusing to pay taxes and watch the country crumble around you.

And keep voting for the same old windbag politicos who have no ideas other than sending our tax dollars overseas to build foreign bridges so we can keep the foreign oil coming.

This country is doomed.
cooper

United States

#13 Jul 31, 2008
You should see the bridge decking over US131 on 36th Street. The eastbound lane has had a recurring pothole that goes down to the metal meshing. They keep refilling as a temp fix. The other bridge that's a bit frightening is the longer bridge over the railroad tracks on Burton just east of 131. You can feel the road vibrate with any trucks that go over it.
iagree

Deerfield, IL

#14 Jul 31, 2008
MrMunkey wrote:
Well if Granholm (Gov.Greedy)had been watching the daycare scandal/situation closer,we'd have PLENTY OF $$ to fix the bridges..But as per usual they've suddenly found out or discovered that DEAD PEOPLE & CRIMINALS were given this money! SHAME ON GRANHOLM and her whole administration!!They make is shameful and careless for their citizens! Heaven help us ALL if even one of those bridges collapses and kills or injures innocent people!!!
Wow are you off base and off topic!! These bridges were standing when your "lovely and talented" John Engler was in office. Care to expound on this?

What does the 'daycare scandal' have to do with bridges?

Somebody's off their meds, me thinks.
ron mexico

Westphalia, MI

#15 Jul 31, 2008
i heard that instead of fixing the bridges, they plan to take them out completely and just have a couple jumps on either side to save money.
Cheex

Cambridge, MA

#16 Jul 31, 2008
bridge card holder wrote:
I know that bridge on College a block north of 96 was structurally deficient .
You mean 196 - not 96. I-96 and College Ave. don't meet. It's I-196.
Capn Weasel

Grand Rapids, MI

#17 Jul 31, 2008
ron mexico wrote:
i heard that instead of fixing the bridges, they plan to take them out completely and just have a couple jumps on either side to save money.
Oh like Excitebike... that game is awesome!
MrMunkey

Littleton, CO

#18 Jul 31, 2008
iagree wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow are you off base and off topic!! These bridges were standing when your "lovely and talented" John Engler was in office. Care to expound on this?
What does the 'daycare scandal' have to do with bridges?
Somebody's off their meds, me thinks.
Well Iagree your offbase here not me! I never supported John Engler ( I can thankfully,honestly say)and what I said is true So DEAL WITH IT & GET A LIFE TOO WHILE YOUR AT IT!!!!!!!!!!
iagree

Deerfield, IL

#19 Aug 1, 2008
MrMunkey wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Iagree your offbase here not me! I never supported John Engler ( I can thankfully,honestly say)and what I said is true So DEAL WITH IT & GET A LIFE TOO WHILE YOUR AT IT!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, you smart little vicious man/whatever. You really showed me, didn't you? Sheeeesh......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dorr Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wedding venue tells gay couple to look elsewhere Nov '17 Baptist ism by Proxy 21
Farmers Disposal in Dorr MI legitimate company? (Nov '11) Oct '17 andy 49
Justin M Clark - Steelcase - Cheater Exposed in... Sep '17 JustinMClarkRUSer... 1
News Gov. Rick Snyder makes appointment, reappointme... Jul '17 MOMBACH lucifer 2
News Heavy Snow Leads to Power Outages HOLLAND, MI (... (Dec '16) Dec '16 District 1 1
News Trump to end campaign in Michigan Monday with G... (Nov '16) Nov '16 Go Blue Forever 22
ryder (Oct '16) Oct '16 Ryder 1

Dorr Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dorr Mortgages