Man dies after snowmobile hits tractor

A Dorr Township man died Saturday night after the snowmobile he was riding hit a tractor. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Dan

United States

#143 Jan 15, 2009
Did the tractor have a flashing light on it? It's supposed to if plowing, just like trucks that plow. Was the sled driver going too fast? Was alcohol involved? I think it comes down to the guy on the sled driving too fast. If he was diving the speed limit he should have been able to stop or at least swerve around the tractor. It takes a ton of force to pop a tractor tire off. The guy on the sled must have been hauling a$$. I plow with a big JD tractor and also drive snowmobiles so I can see it from both sides here. Too bad it had to happen.
Thundercat

United States

#144 Jan 15, 2009
tom wrote:
<quoted text> the only inherently dangerous issues involved are riders like you and him. aside from macho bravado, nobody needs a 170hp, heavy sled either for that matter.
you've probably got unnecessary studs right?
speeding riders, and those drunk, with no regard for property or people, have given a negative stigma and forced many property owners not to allow the trails through, and you know it.
I had a nice long response all typed up for you,Tom,but I realize that you have some sort of issue with snowmobilers,so I won't waste my breath.People like you need to mind your business.
micky

Northbrook, IL

#145 Jan 15, 2009
Thundercat wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a nice long response all typed up for you,Tom,but I realize that you have some sort of issue with snowmobilers,so I won't waste my breath.People like you need to mind your business.
Tom is RIGHT..sno-mobile all you want ThunderCat..but don't ruin anothers life because riders want to drive drunk..and at excessive speeds..and not be in control..not drunk and going the speed safe for conditions..it probably could have been avoided..and a kind old man's final days on this earth not ruined by the irrresponsible..if that discribes you..than left the sno-boot fit!!!!!
Thundercat

United States

#146 Jan 15, 2009
micky wrote:
<quoted text>Tom is RIGHT..sno-mobile all you want ThunderCat..but don't ruin anothers life because riders want to drive drunk..and at excessive speeds..and not be in control..not drunk and going the speed safe for conditions..it probably could have been avoided..and a kind old man's final days on this earth not ruined by the irrresponsible..if that discribes you..than left the sno-boot fit!!!!!
Interesting....It's apparent that neither you nor Tom read what I had posted slow enough to let it sink into your craniums.I challenge you,Micky,to re-read my post and,using the "copy and paste" function of your mouse,to make me aware of where I condoned drunk riding,excessive speed,or trespass.

Shall we ban snowmobiling in Michigan?Well,I'd suggest contacting your elected officials and get that done!I do wish you good luck because we are very well represented in Lansing,not to mention towns like Irons,Wellston,Cadillac,Gaylor d and Grayling.What would those communities do in the winter without the income generated by snowmobilers?

But let's not stop there!Let's ban Harleys with their loud exhausts.Let's ban jet skis and other fast watercraft.Heck,let's ban NASCAR!And drag racing!Shoot,let's ban walking out to your mailbox because you may get hit by a car!You see, some of us choose to LIVE life-not just be a spectator,sitting in our homes afraid to do anything fun and exciting.Maybe Bill would still be alive if he had chosen to be a spectator...or maybe he would have been hit by a car while checking his mail....

Just because I have 170 hp doesn't mean it gets used.Trail speeds are at a whopping 30-40 mph.Across an open field maybe 60 or 70.The 170 ponies get used once or twice a year,on a frozen lake on a plowed track-but only after a slow speed run to check for hazards.

I await your rebuttal...
tom

Greenville, MI

#147 Jan 16, 2009
I've had sleds for 10 years, and I stand by
what I posted. It's the truth and the reality today, and most would agree. Your attempt to distort the intent and content of my most is very transparent. have a nice day.
micky

Northbrook, IL

#148 Jan 16, 2009
tom wrote:
I've had sleds for 10 years, and I stand by
what I posted. It's the truth and the reality today, and most would agree. Your attempt to distort the intent and content of my most is very transparent. have a nice day.
And I stand by what I said..being drunk and excessive speed without a doubt was a major factor in this crash..etc..and lucky the other 2 riders with him are still alive although injured badly..also drunk and speeding..if you a a prudent rider..my hat is off to you..if you are a similar type rider as these guys..than the sno-boot fits..and it will not be a case of if it happens to you..but when..
tom

Greenville, MI

#149 Jan 16, 2009
micky wrote:
<quoted text>And I stand by what I said..being drunk and excessive speed without a doubt was a major factor in this crash..etc..and lucky the other 2 riders with him are still alive although injured badly..also drunk and speeding..if you a a prudent rider..my hat is off to you..if you are a similar type rider as these guys..than the sno-boot fits..and it will not be a case of if it happens to you..but when..
thank you, and I trust thundertank would agree.
micky

Northbrook, IL

#150 Jan 16, 2009
tom wrote:
<quoted text> thank you, and I trust thundertank would agree.
He must be agreeing since he did not respond..but its true with a sno-mobile..a Harley..jetski etc..even being a drunken fan at NASCAR..not in control of your facilities while being drunk and reckless is going to cause you a high increase in the probability of something bad happening..and thats not rocket science. Make that choice for yourself..but in this case..a kind old man is suffering as well because of their decisions. That is not right in my mind. Pray for the living..not the dead. That is the consequence of being " stuck on stupid"
micky

Northbrook, IL

#151 Jan 16, 2009
tom wrote:
<quoted text> thank you, and I trust thundertank would agree.
As long as we are posting about drunk sno-mobilers..go to the article about the drunken sno-mobiler skipping over open water and killing ducks!!! It in the WOOD news section under "strange" news
Thundercat

United States

#152 Jan 16, 2009
micky wrote:
<quoted text> He must be agreeing since he did not respond..but its true with a sno-mobile..a Harley..jetski etc..even being a drunken fan at NASCAR..not in control of your facilities while being drunk and reckless is going to cause you a high increase in the probability of something bad happening..and thats not rocket science. Make that choice for yourself..but in this case..a kind old man is suffering as well because of their decisions. That is not right in my mind. Pray for the living..not the dead. That is the consequence of being " stuck on stupid"
Sorry,Micky-I have a job and was working all day...It looks like maybe we're all in agreement;Speed and booze kills,regardless of the mode of transportation.I apologize if I came off as an a$$.I am very passionate about snowmobiling and try to be a good steward of the sport and it irks me as much as you when I see someone doing things to give the sport a bad reputation.And I'm sorry,but I can't feel for one party and not the other.I stick to my guns when I say that,from the info I have seen,both parties involved were at fault.Yes,more blame should lay with Bill,but at the same time,the tractor driver shouldn't have just backed out into the road with no lights.That's all I have to say in this matter-it doesn't undo the accident to bicker back and forth.
Thundercat

United States

#153 Jan 16, 2009
tom wrote:
<quoted text> thank you, and I trust thundertank would agree.
Yes,Tom,I do.And yes,my Thundercat is a tank!LOL.But it was designed to be a lake racer,not really a trail sled.One of these days I'll find a little 600 or something for the trails and keep the T-Kitty for Gun Lake...

Since: Jul 08

Kentwood MI

#154 Jan 16, 2009
Thundercat wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes,Tom,I do.And yes,my Thundercat is a tank!LOL.But it was designed to be a lake racer,not really a trail sled.One of these days I'll find a little 600 or something for the trails and keep the T-Kitty for Gun Lake...
Interesting. It would seem that you could get that 600 up to 55 mph with relative ease. 55 is the speed limit on Gun Lake ya know. Or don't you care?
LC
snowmobile guy

Annandale, MN

#155 Jan 25, 2009
I am sorry you had a plow truck pull out infront of you but i will bet you where doing atleast close to a normal speed. looking at the damage to the tractor and sled I would have to say the snowmobile was no where in sight when the tractor started backing out. I would have to say that the snowmobiler was traveling a little FAST!!! So you cannot hold it agaainst the tractor operator. So maybe you need to look at all the circumstances of the unfortunate accident.
Local chick

Plainwell, MI

#156 Feb 4, 2009
Hearing this reminded me of the many, many times tractors have pulled out in front of me. Why was this tractor out so late? I believe this happened after 10 pm right? Was there any alcohol involved?
tom

Greenville, MI

#157 Feb 5, 2009
Local chick wrote:
Hearing this reminded me of the many, many times tractors have pulled out in front of me. Why was this tractor out so late? I believe this happened after 10 pm right? Was there any alcohol involved?
someone told me there are three lawyers involved.....big surprise.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dorr Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Farmers Disposal in Dorr MI legitimate company? (Nov '11) Dec '14 Ron 41
jason lueer (Nov '07) Oct '14 the kids 9
Hearing aids (Jun '12) Sep '14 Peter Simmons 2
Debate: Obama-Marriage - Caledonia, MI (May '12) Aug '14 Sharon 6
Lamar Construction Co. files for bankruptcy aft... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Robbed 1
14-f-m (Jul '14) Jul '14 Jessika 1
Wayland bring an unsavory bite of Michigan to T... (Jul '14) Jul '14 WaylandFan 1
Dorr Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Dorr People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:35 pm PST

Bleacher Report12:35PM
Who Benefits Most from Hiring of Gase?
Bleacher Report 5:14 PM
How Bears Can Make Most of Each Draft Pick
Bleacher Report 6:04 PM
Why Lions Must Draft CB Trae Waynes
Bleacher Report12:00 AM
3 Mistakes the Chicago Bears Can't Afford to Make This Offseason
Bleacher Report 9:15 AM
Tillman Hints at Return to Bears with Tweet