GM Exempt From All City Codes

GM Exempt From All City Codes

Posted in the Doraville Forum

Fairness

Atlanta, GA

#1 Apr 29, 2012
NOT! If I recall, the site was rezoned by the council to C-1. If you or I (or any other commercial business) had grass that tall we would get a citation under the property maintenance codes. But not GM apparently. Have you seen the GM site lately? Grass is 3 feet tall on the Chamblee side and the place is an unsecured menace. Again, if a home were sitting wide open and the windows broken and doors laid open, you guessed it - CITATION.

What a double standard!

Also, I notice Ellis or some other car dealership is using a portion of the site to store cars along Motors Industrial. Is that legal in C-1 or any other commercial zoning? I wouldn't think so. Is the city getting revenue off that by way of a license? Probably not.

Just another day in the Ville!

When you market items it is best not to let them sit and look like shit. GM obviously is not a good steward of the property. Maybe they would sell it if they had to spend money to maintain it. Get the picture? Stop stroking GM.
Mary

Lawrenceville, GA

#2 Apr 29, 2012
Stroking businesses is the only skill city hall has.
John

Lawrenceville, GA

#3 Apr 29, 2012
It seems no codes are enforced regarding any empty business in Doraville.
Jack

Lawrenceville, GA

#4 Apr 30, 2012
John wrote:
It seems no codes are enforced regarding any empty business in Doraville.
They seem to following Chamblee's example of allowing derelict property issues.
Mary

Lawrenceville, GA

#5 Apr 30, 2012
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
They seem to following Chamblee's example of allowing derelict property issues.
Boy that's the truth! And sadly, Chamblee is trying to annex in more property over on this side that they can fill with even more low class undesirables.
tellin it like it is

Atlanta, GA

#6 May 2, 2012
John wrote:
It seems no codes are enforced regarding any empty business in Doraville.
Training. Code Enforcement Officers need proper training. They need clear ordinances to refer to. They need proper supervision. They also need the court clerk to actually collect the fines that are assessed for code violations they write-up. Failure runs rampant. Where's the leadership? Where's the managerial control? Where's the initiative? Where's the follow-up? Why bother to write-up code violations when you know the fines won't be collected?
Mary

Loganville, GA

#7 May 2, 2012
tellin it like it is wrote:
<quoted text>
Training. Code Enforcement Officers need proper training. They need clear ordinances to refer to. They need proper supervision. They also need the court clerk to actually collect the fines that are assessed for code violations they write-up. Failure runs rampant. Where's the leadership? Where's the managerial control? Where's the initiative? Where's the follow-up? Why bother to write-up code violations when you know the fines won't be collected?
Well said. People just laugh in our faces when they get cited because they know it won't go any further in most cases. As for the GM property, maybe we should call CEO Ellis and tell him to get some county workers over here to clean it up. It appears from today's article in the North Dekalb paper that he's pretty much taken over the development of the 165 acres. That really makes me sick.
Marky Mark

Lawrenceville, GA

#8 May 2, 2012
tellin it like it is wrote:
<quoted text>
Training. Code Enforcement Officers need proper training. They need clear ordinances to refer to. They need proper supervision. They also need the court clerk to actually collect the fines that are assessed for code violations they write-up. Failure runs rampant. Where's the leadership? Where's the managerial control? Where's the initiative? Where's the follow-up? Why bother to write-up code violations when you know the fines won't be collected?
"Clear ordinances", what a concept! Some of the ordinances are written so poorly it's ridiculous. We got rid of Weed but it seems nothing has gotten any better. And the zoning codes, don't get me started. Cooley is doing his best to make every change he can to benefit Halpern and the rest of the motley slumlords. They've got a real serious problem with the difference between "business friendly" and "anything goes". The court clerk should have been fired and escorted out of the building months ago. THREE MILLION DOLLARS? Are you kidding me?
Sue

Huntington Beach, CA

#9 May 3, 2012
Marky Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
"Clear ordinances", what a concept! Some of the ordinances are written so poorly it's ridiculous. We got rid of Weed but it seems nothing has gotten any better. And the zoning codes, don't get me started. Cooley is doing his best to make every change he can to benefit Halpern and the rest of the motley slumlords. They've got a real serious problem with the difference between "business friendly" and "anything goes". The court clerk should have been fired and escorted out of the building months ago. THREE MILLION DOLLARS? Are you kidding me?
Thankfully it will only cost $500.00 maximum to tear down GM because the permit fees were changed because a demolition contractor made a little campaign donation to our favorite trailer park princess. What progress? Millions in lost revenue on this site alone. I bet the demo contractor will charge 2.5 to 3 million dollars to demolish the site yet the city will only get $500.00. Way to go!
tellin it like it is

Atlanta, GA

#10 May 3, 2012
Sue wrote:
<quoted text>
Thankfully it will only cost $500.00 maximum to tear down GM because the permit fees were changed because a demolition contractor made a little campaign donation to our favorite trailer park princess. What progress? Millions in lost revenue on this site alone. I bet the demo contractor will charge 2.5 to 3 million dollars to demolish the site yet the city will only get $500.00. Way to go!
Major loss of $ if this is factual. Tally it up. Millions in uncollected court fines. How many thousands in uncollected sanitation fees? A lot of money wasted on computer programs that don't work. Computer department. What computer department? Money thrown away on mismanagement of the maintenance department. How many millions mismanaged due to the pension plans? Add the overtime pay at city hall over the years. Then there are the consultants that have to be hired because of the incompetency at city hall. Look at all the bad hires. People hired that were not qualified for the job they were hired to do. Then come the legal and settlement expense to get rid of them. It's an awful waste. It's safe to say that Doraville is devoid of leadership and it is costing the public millions of $. Thank the Good Lord that people are taking notice. There's a saying that people are mad as hell and they aren't gonna take it anymore. That saying is true in Doraville right now. The God awful truth.
Marky Mark

Lawrenceville, GA

#11 May 3, 2012
tellin it like it is wrote:
<quoted text>
Major loss of $ if this is factual. Tally it up. Millions in uncollected court fines. How many thousands in uncollected sanitation fees? A lot of money wasted on computer programs that don't work. Computer department. What computer department? Money thrown away on mismanagement of the maintenance department. How many millions mismanaged due to the pension plans? Add the overtime pay at city hall over the years. Then there are the consultants that have to be hired because of the incompetency at city hall. Look at all the bad hires. People hired that were not qualified for the job they were hired to do. Then come the legal and settlement expense to get rid of them. It's an awful waste. It's safe to say that Doraville is devoid of leadership and it is costing the public millions of $. Thank the Good Lord that people are taking notice. There's a saying that people are mad as hell and they aren't gonna take it anymore. That saying is true in Doraville right now. The God awful truth.
I don't remember if the 500.00 permit fee item passed, but I do know for a fact that Cooley attempted to make it so. Business friendly! He claims it's to bring in "good" business. Funny how other cities are loaded with good businesses, not massage, pawn and other undesirables. His idea of "good" business is a 200' cell tower by the city pool. Some on council want to close the pool down due to "budget constraints". They've already cut the library hours and cut back on trash pick up. It seems we are the ones suffering while they spend, spend, spend! It's been said before, "Doraville doesn't have a revenue problem, it has a spending problem". Why are we paying people to do their jobs and also bringing in high dollar "consultants" to actually do the jobs they are paid for? But I will have to add that if Halpern wants to demolish some of their properties, the city should waive their fee altogether, and maybe even help pay for the demo. Maybe then all the people who think Halpern is "saving" us would finally see the light if some of their crap was gone and Doraville actually started looking like a city instead of a slum.
David

United States

#12 May 3, 2012
When the Planning Department is operating in the red, people might rethink that? How is all this revenue loss being covered? It isn't. Local bankers tell me there is precious little time left. It has all dried up. A repo of the Lexus is coming, and soon.
Mark

Atlanta, GA

#13 Jul 17, 2014
Marky Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
"Clear ordinances", what a concept! Some of the ordinances are written so poorly it's ridiculous. We got rid of Weed but it seems nothing has gotten any better. And the zoning codes, don't get me started. Cooley is doing his best to make every change he can to benefit Halpern and the rest of the motley slumlords. They've got a real serious problem with the difference between "business friendly" and "anything goes". The court clerk should have been fired and escorted out of the building months ago. THREE MILLION DOLLARS? Are you kidding me?
What's the state of affairs now that Doraville has a city manager? Derelict businesses getting fined? Derelict houses and slumlords getting fined? re the politicians still giving favors to their friends?
Paige

Atlanta, GA

#14 Jul 19, 2014
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the state of affairs now that Doraville has a city manager? Derelict businesses getting fined? Derelict houses and slumlords getting fined? re the politicians still giving favors to their friends?
Ajc states the poverty rate is 31 percent in Doraville. That number is much higher and residents know it. If Doraville leaders took on the slumlords in the neighborhoods and commercial slumlords and illegal wholesalers on Buford Hwy things would be different for people who live there and people that might consider living there and businesses that might think about opening up there.
GM site under contract

Lawrenceville, GA

#15 Jul 20, 2014
Paige wrote:
<quoted text>
Ajc states the poverty rate is 31 percent in Doraville. That number is much higher and residents know it. If Doraville leaders took on the slumlords in the neighborhoods and commercial slumlords and illegal wholesalers on Buford Hwy things would be different for people who live there and people that might consider living there and businesses that might think about opening up there.
That number is only higher because the middle class is disappearing in nearby Dunwoody and Sandy Springs. No jobs anywhere and even the Blacks are coming by for their weekly drug deals.

Doraville needs $ 75 million in funds for GM redevelopment:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local-govt-polit...
Sarah

Norcross, GA

#16 Jul 20, 2014
GM site under contract wrote:
<quoted text>
That number is only higher because the middle class is disappearing in nearby Dunwoody and Sandy Springs. No jobs anywhere and even the Blacks are coming by for their weekly drug deals.
Doraville needs $ 75 million in funds for GM redevelopment:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local-govt-polit...
Let's start by saving the salaries of the Community Development Director, the Economic Developer, and the City Manager. Eliminate them. That would contribute nicely even if the plant is never redeveloped.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Doraville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: I Love Kickboxing Atlanta - Buckhead (Aug '14) 4 hr Navneel 37
News Artist designs 'border wall' in midtown Atlanta 5 hr Boom 4
wacotesas 7 hr Tolerman 9
Do White Men Get Turned on , Watching Black M... (Jan '12) 9 hr Cuckhubby 303
Drug addicted Doraville contractors 14 hr Max 13
Amtrac yards coming to gm site (Aug '15) 22 hr Mary 11
Mayor is a high school graduate Jul 19 Tom 9

Doraville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Doraville Mortgages