Albemarle Man Pleads Guilty to Racing...

Albemarle Man Pleads Guilty to Racing Resulting in Death

There are 16 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jul 14, 2013, titled Albemarle Man Pleads Guilty to Racing Resulting in Death. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

An Albemarle County man accepted a plea agreement in Albemarle County Circuit Court Tuesday morning for charges from a deadly 2012 crash.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Who Knows

Faber, VA

#1 Jul 16, 2013
This is why drivers are not afraid to leave the scene--the felony hit-and-run charges were dropped. Again! This coward needs to do time for leaving the scene of a horrific accident that ended one young life, and seriously injured another person. Late for work is a sorry excuse.
Alice J

Hardy, VA

#2 Jul 16, 2013
Who Knows wrote:
This is why drivers are not afraid to leave the scene--the felony hit-and-run charges were dropped. Again! This coward needs to do time for leaving the scene of a horrific accident that ended one young life, and seriously injured another person. Late for work is a sorry excuse.
Does anyone stop and think the fault of the other person?? Yes, he's not with us anymore but does he play no part in this? Appleton wasn't racing himself. In fact, the other boy had been in quite a bit of trouble which should show the kind of person he was. Everyone is just looking for someone to blame when, in reality, it was both of their faults. Had the other boy not clipped the front of Appleton's car, he'd still be here.
G Luv

Marietta, GA

#3 Jul 16, 2013
Who Knows wrote:
Agreed.
Who Knows

Faber, VA

#4 Jul 16, 2013
Alice J wrote:
<quoted text>
Does anyone stop and think the fault of the other person?? Yes, he's not with us anymore but does he play no part in this? Appleton wasn't racing himself. In fact, the other boy had been in quite a bit of trouble which should show the kind of person he was. Everyone is just looking for someone to blame when, in reality, it was both of their faults. Had the other boy not clipped the front of Appleton's car, he'd still be here.
Yes, both are at fault for racing, but that still does not excuse Appleton from driving away without at least checking to see if there was something he could do. He didn't even call 911. That was a horrific crash and he knew that someone was badly hurt, if not dead. If there had been no witnesses, both could have died before help arrived.

Or, do you believe that the dead boy being in a lot of trouble meant he deserved to be left dead on the side of the road???? Nice.
The Closer

Warrenton, VA

#5 Jul 17, 2013
Just calm down. That is not what Alice J meant at all. This was a tragedy no doubt. How many times have you made a mistake? Albeit, hopefully not with this tragic result but I'm sure you, as we all have, have made a mistake at least once in your life. Ask yourself how many times have you passed a car (or tried to pass a car) when they sped up? It happens all the time, they probably both got carried away with trying to outrun the other that it ended in this awful way. I do not excuse Appleton from leaving the scene and he should and will pay for the result of his actions, aside from the guilt I am sure he is feeling about being involved in the death of another person. Is there anything else to say about this? I don't think so...
Who Knows wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, both are at fault for racing, but that still does not excuse Appleton from driving away without at least checking to see if there was something he could do. He didn't even call 911. That was a horrific crash and he knew that someone was badly hurt, if not dead. If there had been no witnesses, both could have died before help arrived.
Or, do you believe that the dead boy being in a lot of trouble meant he deserved to be left dead on the side of the road???? Nice.
Who Knows

Faber, VA

#6 Jul 17, 2013
The Closer wrote:
Just calm down. That is not what Alice J meant at all. This was a tragedy no doubt. How many times have you made a mistake? Albeit, hopefully not with this tragic result but I'm sure you, as we all have, have made a mistake at least once in your life. Ask yourself how many times have you passed a car (or tried to pass a car) when they sped up? It happens all the time, they probably both got carried away with trying to outrun the other that it ended in this awful way. I do not excuse Appleton from leaving the scene and he should and will pay for the result of his actions, aside from the guilt I am sure he is feeling about being involved in the death of another person. Is there anything else to say about this? I don't think so...
<quoted text>
Do you know Alice J??? If not, how can you speak for her???? Oh, I see--you have the last word--so we should all just shut up now. Know-it-all much????

It's not a mistake to hit-and-run from an accident--it's a crime. That's why there are laws against it, but they are seldom prosecuted, so cowards continue to run.
Alice J

Hardy, VA

#7 Jul 17, 2013
Who Knows wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know Alice J??? If not, how can you speak for her???? Oh, I see--you have the last word--so we should all just shut up now. Know-it-all much????
It's not a mistake to hit-and-run from an accident--it's a crime. That's why there are laws against it, but they are seldom prosecuted, so cowards continue to run.
I never said he deserved to die because he had been in trouble. Don't make assumptions. We're all human, and Appleton made a mistake...I can't even imagine how panicked he must've been..as I'm sure I would've been in a situation like that. They both shouldn't have been so bull-headed.. They BOTH were at fault. Everyone should stop judging Appleton like he's the devil. What would you do if that were you? Or your son? Or your best friend? If you knew him personally? Mistakes can happen to ANYONE. And Appleton turned himself in...he can't be but so much of a coward, now can he?
G Luv

Marietta, GA

#8 Jul 17, 2013
Alice J wrote:
<quoted text>
Mistakes can happen to ANYONE. And Appleton turned himself in...he can't be but so much of a coward, now can he?
But Who Knows's original point still stands. He left a man to die and another to nearly do so. That's a failure not only of driver's ed, but Humanity 101. "I panicked" (and likely turned himself in once he realized it was inevitable he'd get caught) is no excuse and he should face the consequences of his actions.

Racing was the mistake. Leaving the scene was unconscionable.
Alice J

Hardy, VA

#9 Jul 17, 2013
G Luv wrote:
<quoted text>
But Who Knows's original point still stands. He left a man to die and another to nearly do so. That's a failure not only of driver's ed, but Humanity 101. "I panicked" (and likely turned himself in once he realized it was inevitable he'd get caught) is no excuse and he should face the consequences of his actions.
Racing was the mistake. Leaving the scene was unconscionable.
Maybe I could agree with it being unconscionable if we knew exactly what state of mind Appleton was in. There was anger, panic, fear and rage all rolled into one. People don't see clearly in those moments. It's possible that he just didn't realize that the boy had gone off the road like he did. Point being, no one knows exactly what happened and it isn't fair to make him out to be some horrible person. Appleton will be serving time. It doesn't matter if it's under the charge of leaving the scene or hit and run, etc. Time will be served. Consequences will be faced.
Rusty

Edinburg, VA

#10 Jul 18, 2013
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

A loss for all sides in this one.
The Closer

Berryville, VA

#11 Jul 19, 2013
Who Knows wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know Alice J??? If not, how can you speak for her???? Oh, I see--you have the last word--so we should all just shut up now. Know-it-all much????
Let's just say everyone has their opinion and I have mine. I don't have to know someone on a personal level to agree or disagree with what they say. Apparently you don't keep up with the news because people that flee hit and run scenes DO get prosecuted. And for the coward comment, well you have your opinion and I have mine. And in response to your comment about shutting up...well, what do you think I'm thinking right now?
Who Knows

Faber, VA

#12 Jul 19, 2013
The Closer wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's just say everyone has their opinion and I have mine. I don't have to know someone on a personal level to agree or disagree with what they say. Apparently you don't keep up with the news because people that flee hit and run scenes DO get prosecuted. And for the coward comment, well you have your opinion and I have mine. And in response to your comment about shutting up...well, what do you think I'm thinking right now?
I'm thinking that you usually troll as The Dude.
Babys Daddy

Ruckersville, VA

#13 Jul 19, 2013
Hey isn't that felony hit and run
Who Knows

Faber, VA

#14 Jul 19, 2013
Babys Daddy wrote:
Hey isn't that felony hit and run
He was charged with felony hit and run, but the dropped the charges.
G Luv

Marietta, GA

#15 Jul 19, 2013
Alice J wrote:
<quoted text>
Point being, no one knows exactly what happened...
I find this sentiment very frustrating. By extrapolation, we can't hold anyone reponsible for anything if we can't get in their heads and get a clear account of what they were thinking.

But that is why people are (supposed to be) held responsible for their actions.
The Closer

Berryville, VA

#16 Jul 19, 2013
Who Knows wrote:
<quoted text>I'm thinking that you usually troll as The Dude.
I am not a troll, regardless of my hair!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dooms Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thinking of moving to Waynesboro, getting away ... (Dec '14) Mar '17 Hannah Goodman 5
News Augusta Sheriff Investigating Late Night Shooting (Sep '10) Mar '17 reflections 87
panhandlers by hospital (Feb '14) Feb '17 Morg 10
New? Feb '17 Aaaabbc 1
have you seen this man? (Jan '12) Feb '17 Dabs 3
George Zimmerman Scandal (Sep '13) Sep '13 Merrilee Paysinger 1
News Flooding Closes Roads Across Central Virginia (Jun '13) Jun '13 Gru 5

Dooms Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dooms Mortgages