Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...

“So it's not you, It's them?”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#54468 Jun 2, 2012
cometland wrote:
<quoted text>
Weird. Page just must not have been refreshed. You have assessed my opinion as misguided, but do not say why. Your tone implies that you have a much more enlightened view that I have not yet been privy to. Also, what's a Non-CON? I'm new here and am not up on the lingo.
I didn't label it as misguided. My opinion is that you might have spent those 17 years in a small, sheltered pond and therefore might not have a clear, firm grasp on what its actually like out here in corporate America.

I'm a capitalist and I've served on 40+ Boards of mostly mid-sized companies. So I've seen how it was then and how it is now and can compare. I remenber when $s and cents weren't the sole criteria for decisions made.

However, today $s and cents is all they care about. Corporations aren't evil, but some of the d**n sociopaths that run them could be. Nobody owes me my job and I'm only as good as my last couple of successeses or failures.

Sorry if my "tone" offended you. I'll try to take it a bit easier on you.:)

Since: Feb 11

United States

#54469 Jun 2, 2012
Why have 3 of Rmoney's boys claim to use surrogates.

According to Romney biographer Ronald B. Scott, three of Mitt Romney’s sons have resorted to IVF to create their families. The Republican presidential candidate is opposed to abortion, Plan B contraception and embryonic stem cell research, but has never clarified his views on IVF.~ NY Times, May 4

surrogates or sister wives?

“KC's Son got a Meal Ticket!”

Since: Sep 09

Now the basement is clean!

#54470 Jun 2, 2012
cometland wrote:
<quoted text> ...
4) Quite a leap you made there. My awareness that myself and my employer are motivated by an element of greed leads you to believe that I would sell my soul and company secrets? Sorry, but I want greedy employees. I'll fill my ranks with those who are always in search of more. I will gladly give them their "more" in exchange for more from them. I will let someone else satisfy those that are in search of a place to safely hang their hat.
At least you are honest enough to admit that in your world the dollar trumps morality every day.

Making money does not require an element of greed. It is clear that you think it does. I hope that you get all the like-minded greedy employees that you desire. Let me know how that turns out. Keep your eye on the cash register. You have created a company in your own image, and you better keep in mind that they will cheat you at every opportunity. Of course, it is only fair, since you will cheat them at every opportunity.

#54471 Jun 2, 2012
cometland wrote:
<quoted text>
Cont.
5) You went 6 years the wrong direction. I have been married 17 years, have a 16 yr old daughter, and have worked my way up through my company for 15 yrs. You confuse my opinions to mean that I live a carefree life without fear or want.
6) Doesn't make sense. No response needed.
7) You fail at reading comprehension. What I stated means the opposite of what you inferred. I seek freedom. You are fine with a just master. How did you mix this up?
This is not a democracy. You know better than that.
Okay. Republic. Feel better now?

#54472 Jun 2, 2012
yellowloser wrote:
... democrats ... obama ...{edited to remove vulgarity and insults}
"austin," I admire your persistence in bloviation.

#54473 Jun 2, 2012
cometland wrote:
<quoted text>
Dang. I failed at the Internet. Don't know where the top half of my post went, but I'm not typing it again. Suffice to say, it kicked ass with airtight logic and impenetrable construction of thought. Too bad you missed it.
In all fairness, I must say that the portion of your comment which you did not post makes far more sense than the portion which you were able to post.

Since: Feb 11

United States

#54474 Jun 2, 2012
a solar panel developer “that landed a state loan from Mitt Romney when he was Massachusetts governor” went belly up, the Boston Herald reports, creating an inconvenient storyline for the GOP presidential nominee.

The company, Konarka Technologies,“filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection and will cease operations, lay off its 85 workers and liquidate”:
cometland

Chicago, IL

#54475 Jun 2, 2012
Yellow Dawg Democrat wrote:
<quoted text>In all fairness, I must say that the portion of your comment which you did not post makes far more sense than the portion which you were able to post.
There is no unposted portion. This was fleshed out a couple of hours ago. I appreciate your attempted witticism, though.
cometland

Chicago, IL

#54476 Jun 2, 2012
Chilli J wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't label it as misguided. My opinion is that you might have spent those 17 years in a small, sheltered pond and therefore might not have a clear, firm grasp on what its actually like out here in corporate America.

I'm a capitalist and I've served on 40+ Boards of mostly mid-sized companies. So I've seen how it was then and how it is now and can compare. I remenber when $s and cents weren't the sole criteria for decisions made.

However, today $s and cents is all they care about. Corporations aren't evil, but some of the d**n sociopaths that run them could be. Nobody owes me my job and I'm only as good as my last couple of successeses or failures.

Sorry if my "tone" offended you. I'll try to take it a bit easier on you.:)
Who said I was offended? You say I'm quite possibly sheltered, then go on to take almost the same opinion as I have. Read my previous posts on this and tell me how I differ from you. You say corporations aren't evil, and that it's the people that sometimes do the wrong thing. I agree and have stated as such. You say no one owes you the job and you are to be judged on your merits. I've repeatedly stated that. Lastly, you imply that companies did not always put profit ahead of employees. This may be true, and it sounds like you have a few years on me to base that on. I stated earlier that treating people like garbage will have ramifications in the marketplace. Yellow, and possibly you, are mistaking my belief that a company CAN do as it pleases (within the law) with a belief that they SHOULD do so. I have been loyal to my company precisely because they have held up their end of our bargain. The more they get of me, the more I get of them.

I just tire of people that think things in this world are owed to them.
dan

Saint Louis, MO

#54477 Jun 2, 2012
lets change to 2012

“Nobama care”

Since: Mar 11

just a tax hike

#54478 Jun 2, 2012
NOT The real USA First wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Norton... a Christian is the opposite of you!!!
Bada-BAIN!
The TAIL that WAGS the DAWG !

“Nobama care”

Since: Mar 11

just a tax hike

#54479 Jun 2, 2012
<quoted text>
I am going to guess 87 times. However, when you tell me how many women went to the tomb of Jesus on the morning of the Resurrection, I will begin to take you more seriously.
The DAWG that WAGS the TAIL !
Norton

Leawood, KS

#54480 Jun 2, 2012
Ruth Chambers holt wrote:
<quoted text>********MORE********LI ES********!
#1 SHOW us where GOD asks us to believe in him? I am not talking about your version of what Christs is/(your belief of Jesus THE ONE son of god/therefore Jesus is ALSO god)...Show us the written word of GOD, you cannot show us that because god(s) have only been written up by MANKIND...
#2 You lie when you state that this country was founded on christian principles! We've been through this,(and been through this more than once):
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/kennett-mo/TC...
This country was founded on "Deists/Rosicrucian Principles" and NOT "Christian Principles".
#3 AGAIN, HOW do YOU know what God does like or does NOT like? It is certain that YOU have neither 'talked with' nor 'listened TO' God in your lifetime, else you would NOT be here presenting yourself as evil incarnate!
#4 It is PRECISLEY your type of "people praying for this country" that has managed to get us into this mess to begin with/start with..., THIS country does NOT need your 'kind' of 'praying'. Can you grasp that idea/hold onto that thought?
"CHEERS" to you too, "Cliff",(from Portland, OR)!...
Ruth....it is so simple. It is in the Bible that God says to believe in Him. John 3:16 says it all. Read it! Believe it! If it were not for christian principles the USA would be in a lot worse shape that it is today. You had better hope that God fearing christian people keep praying for this country. I believe that is one thing holding us together. The Bible was written by man with the inspiration of God. Man could not have written this book on his own. It would have been impossible for the prophecies in the Bible to have just happened. Man could not have predicted all of the things that have come true. If you don't study these things, you will never understand them. I always wondered how everyone would be able to see Jesus when he returns. Now I know.....thru all the new technology it will be possible. That is one reason that I think the Rapture is near. How near I do not know but I do know it is going to happen.

CHEERS!
Norton

Leawood, KS

#54481 Jun 2, 2012
<quoted text>
1. I do not really know what Romney thinks, but apparently the following is what this member of the LDS church thinks. Sounds good to me! Most everybody gets to go to Heaven! How lucky for you!
http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/response/q...
2. My guess is that you are a Southern Baptist.
3. I have already told you the percentage of Christians in Israel. So I will reiterate. According to Wikipedia:
{QUOTE} The religious affiliation of the Israeli population as of 2011 was 75.4% Jewish, 16.9% Muslim, 2.1% Christian, and 1.7% Druze, with the remaining 4.0% not classified by religion.{END QUOTE}
Wiki also states that Israeli law only recognizes 10 separate sects of Christianity: the Roman, Armenian, Maronite, Syriac, and Chaldean Catholic Churches; the Eastern Orthodox Greek Orthodox Church; the Oriental Orthodox Syriac Orthodox Church; the Armenian Apostolic Church; and the Anglican Evangelical Episcopal Church.
If your particular sect is not recognized by Israeli law, too bad for you.(Do not feel too bad. God didn't choose you, either.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Isra...
My Bible says that everybody does not get to go to Heaven and I believe it. I don't agree with the Mormons! They ,too, have on rose-colored glasses. It doesn't matter how many christians are in Israel because when the Lord returns they will realize that He is for real but it will be too late for non-believers. It is in the Bible how this will all play out but people won't study it. It is strange how many people that are not christians think they know more about the Bible than the believers. You know.....the SCOFFERS! That's in the Bible, too. Geeeeeeeeeeeeez!

P.S. I will not answer your question about how many women were at the tomb because you are trying to trick me. Not fallin' for it!

CHEERS
Norton

Leawood, KS

#54482 Jun 2, 2012
<quoted text>
I am going to guess 87 times. However, when you tell me how many women went to the tomb of Jesus on the morning of the Resurrection, I will begin to take you more seriously.
You can read it for yourself in the Gospels. You spend too much time with other stuff that is not important. You wouldn't believe me anyway.

CHEERS!
GOP

Wentzville, MO

#54483 Jun 2, 2012
Prohibiting Sex Selection Abortion

Throughout my time in Congress, I have opposed abortion in all of its forms, but one side of this issue that is particularly shocking is abortion based on the unborn child's gender or race. Although it is hard to believe that this is happening in the United States, four major university studies over the last few years have found strong evidence for sex-selection abortion in American communities. Abortion based on gender overwhelmingly targets baby girls—discriminating against them before they are even born.

This week the House of Representatives considered the Prenatal Nondiscrimination Act (PRENDA), H.R. 3541. I am an original cosponsor of this bill, which would prohibit abortion based on the sex of the baby. Although prohibiting sex selection abortion should be something we can all agree on, House Democrats unfortunately decided to block the bill. I am hopeful that we will find a way to move this bill forward in the near future.

It is an honor to represent you in Congress. Please do not hesitate to contact me or my staff if we can be of any assistance or if you have any concerns. You can email me or find me on Facebook or Twitter.

Sincerely,

W. Todd Akin

This is a recent update of Todd Akin's website. Now we know how democrats feel about the unborn children and in particular, females.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#54484 Jun 2, 2012
cometland wrote:
<quoted text>
1) The workplace is not the place that I seek morality. A company's foremost responsibility is to make a profit for its owners. They did not invest in or start a business for the purpose of supplying you a job, a retirement, or feelings of security. They did it to make money.
2) I don't recall admitting such a thing. I would admit that money trumps fairness within the confines of the workplace. I've never heard an employee say "I love my job. The pay is shitty but they sure are fair". Why is it so hard for you to accept that far and away the primary reason people work is to get money, and the sole reason for the company's existence is to make money.
3) Not sure what you're referring to, but I find it curious that Reagan is the only one responsible for this travesty.
4) Quite a leap you made there. My awareness that myself and my employer are motivated by an element of greed leads you to believe that I would sell my soul and company secrets? Sorry, but I want greedy employees. I'll fill my ranks with those who are always in search of more. I will gladly give them their "more" in exchange for more from them. I will let someone else satisfy those that are in search of a place to safely hang their hat.
1. No one said anything about seeking moral guidance from you workplace. But companies do have a legal and moral responsiblity to maintain a safe and respectful place for their employees. That has nothing to do with "warm fuzzy feelings". My guess is that you haven't worked for a large business before or you work on Wall Street. Profit may be the life blood of a company, but it is not the only thing that sustains a business. Was your economics professor Gordon Gekko?

2. I know people that are very skilled and happy with the career they have chosen without some of the perks of being close to the money. I am not talking working poor who have to take any position they can find in order to survive. I have known people who have said "I love my job even though it doesn't pay six figures or even high five figures. There are a lot of people that work for more than just the money. If that was all somebody that applying for a position I had were to want, I would pass on them. They ultimately wouldn't perform to expectations.

3. Reagan was the "Great Communicator." He would be a very good example of a politicians doublespeak. I actually liked Reagan a lot and voted for him. But he was no saint. I don't remember Dawg saying he was the only one responsible for using that form of communcation.

4. I will have to go with Dawg on this one. I have interviewed and hired a lot of people. If I had a hint that their attitude was like yours, they wouldn't make the cut. There is a huge difference between ambition and greed. Greed is lazy, mean, selfish, and counter productive. Give me ambition anytime. Ambition is leadership, will, direction and productivity. An employee that is all greed is just a tool with a very limited range of use an ultimately of little real value.

You raise some interesting points, but it seems like a strawman argument. I don't see anything wrong with regulation on business with regards to safe and comfortable workplace. Regulations have proven to be necessary to for the both business and employees. Even Adam Smith understood the need for regulation. If anyone on here has argued that businesses should operate a social welfare system for their employees to get paid regardless of performance, I haven't seen it and I wouldn't support it. But some form of regulation is necessary so that the less powerful employee is not exploited beyond the capacity to defend themselves. Do you think that one employee's sexual harrasment of another should be overlooked because he is greedy and sells a lot of products for big bonuses. Does the business not have a responsibility to address the issue?
GOP

Wentzville, MO

#54485 Jun 2, 2012
I'm sorry but I am not clueless...apparently you are if you are not aware of how our government has been operating. As far as the "nuts" comment, Mr. Akin is trying to warn uninformed people who have no clue about what is going on. You should be very concerned for this country going in the wrong direction.

#54486 Jun 2, 2012
Chilli J wrote:
<quoted text>'
I saw it and I'd guess the other Non-CONs did too (it's posted back there). I did "miss" where you kicked anyone's azz but your own and that logic that you swear that you included. Welcome! Keep posting! I hope to see your "A" game here sometime soon.
I hope you didn't miss those retread posts from Dan Mortinsan. He was blubbering all over the place and threatening to run away. You can ask her about it when she posts again. Dan's lies were so thick you could hardly see the truth.

Poor thing. I hate to see him stomp around the brickyard and pouting. Hate it so much I only laughed for half an hour.

#54487 Jun 2, 2012
GOP wrote:
I'm sorry but I am not clueless...apparently you are if you are not aware of how our government has been operating. As far as the "nuts" comment, Mr. Akin is trying to warn uninformed people who have no clue about what is going on. You should be very concerned for this country going in the wrong direction.
I am always concerned when this country is going the wrong direction.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Doniphan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rock House (Jan '11) 4 hr Business as usual 38
teachers 11 hr Same ole 6
Shirley 13 hr Angrymom 1
Nurse Practioners in Doniphan 16 hr Same ole 20
Crazy Mary Yount and the cops (May '15) 18 hr Local 14
Mary Burk Yount (Oct '08) 18 hr Local 80
Is it true that an idiot drove on a closed street? (Jul '13) Nov 20 old news 91

Doniphan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance