current river nursing center

Posted in the Doniphan Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
old someday too

AOL

#1 Jul 16, 2008
Can anyone tell me where to call or what website to visit to complain about the nursing home? Or has anyone else been able to talk to any one who can give them a straight answer about the place? If so, who. Thanks so much.
Crystal

Quitman, AR

#2 Jul 16, 2008
In order to file a report, just call the Division of Senior Services. In Doniphan, the number is nine nine six two one seven five.
old someday too

AOL

#3 Jul 16, 2008
My problem with calling DSS, is that according to the state, there isn't anything wrong with the treatment those people recieve. The nursing home is following the guidelines set for them. Or some such reason like that. The main problem is with the understaffing of the nursing home. The residents have to pay the price because the home can't afford to have enough aides on each wing. They usually have a bare minimum number of aides at work and the ones they have are always working double shifts and very long hours. So what can be done about that? Probably nothing, but I was only trying to keep a loved one from being ignored and getting hurt again.

Rose Bud, AR

#4 Jul 23, 2008
that place(current river nursing center)is NOT a good place!i also used to just think it's because they are short staffed but it doesn't stop there.i have seen employees that really treat people very rude and it's very hurtful to watch.These elderly people are the people that love and cared for us our entire young lives and now when they need to be taken care of they are treated horribly!I'm not saying any of this to be bad mouthing but to try to get thru to these employees,if you aren't up to the job don't be there taking that out on the patients.It is not their fault they have to be there and for most of you to humiliate them as you do is the most depressing,disgusting,degradin g and saddest thing i've ever witnessed in my entire life!Please,these are our mothers and fathers or siblings that spent their whole lives caring for others they deserve it to be their turn if they need the help, it should be with dignity and love!If you have to,prtend it's your loved one,I'd hope you'd love and respect them enough to make them feel as cared for as possible PLEASE!Any of you that don't believe what i'm trying to tell you should really spend some time down there checking the place out.I promise it'll be quite a disturbing eye opener!It smells awful,the food is really bad(one patient even told me that's been there several years it makes her sick and in the bathroom alot,they will lay in their bowel movements at least 45 minutes nearly everytime,when they are sick they wait 2 or 3 weeks till it's time for the doctor to come there at 1st of the month,the heat and ac units don't work most of the time and if they can't get out of bed it's too bad they have to burn up or freeze for hours at a time.The number of good employees can be counted on 1 hand easily and don'tthey obviously care about being able to sleep or look at themselves in the mirror because nobody could treat their loved ones like they do down there if they know how to love and respect their elders.The place should honestly be shut down if that's the best they can do,it's heartbreaking and i think the people in their right minds would rather die sooner then live outyears in that horrible place!And yea if someone squeals on the place wonder how they'd make the patient pay for that?I didn't mean to keep going on but it's a very touchy subject for me that i really just want people to open their eyes and if you have a chance to do something about for someone you love, PLEASE DO!God bless everyone residing down there,my heart really goes out to every single one of them!!
cna

Quitman, AR

#5 Jul 24, 2008
guest wrote:
that place(current river nursing center)is NOT a good place!i also used to just think it's because they are short staffed but it doesn't stop there.i have seen employees that really treat people very rude and it's very hurtful to watch.These elderly people are the people that love and cared for us our entire young lives and now when they need to be taken care of they are treated horribly!I'm not saying any of this to be bad mouthing but to try to get thru to these employees,if you aren't up to the job don't be there taking that out on the patients.It is not their fault they have to be there and for most of you to humiliate them as you do is the most depressing,disgusting,degradin g and saddest thing i've ever witnessed in my entire life!Please,these are our mothers and fathers or siblings that spent their whole lives caring for others they deserve it to be their turn if they need the help, it should be with dignity and love!If you have to,prtend it's your loved one,I'd hope you'd love and respect them enough to make them feel as cared for as possible PLEASE!Any of you that don't believe what i'm trying to tell you should really spend some time down there checking the place out.I promise it'll be quite a disturbing eye opener!It smells awful,the food is really bad(one patient even told me that's been there several years it makes her sick and in the bathroom alot,they will lay in their bowel movements at least 45 minutes nearly everytime,when they are sick they wait 2 or 3 weeks till it's time for the doctor to come there at 1st of the month,the heat and ac units don't work most of the time and if they can't get out of bed it's too bad they have to burn up or freeze for hours at a time.The number of good employees can be counted on 1 hand easily and don'tthey obviously care about being able to sleep or look at themselves in the mirror because nobody could treat their loved ones like they do down there if they know how to love and respect their elders.The place should honestly be shut down if that's the best they can do,it's heartbreaking and i think the people in their right minds would rather die sooner then live outyears in that horrible place!And yea if someone squeals on the place wonder how they'd make the patient pay for that?I didn't mean to keep going on but it's a very touchy subject for me that i really just want people to open their eyes and if you have a chance to do something about for someone you love, PLEASE DO!God bless everyone residing down there,my heart really goes out to every single one of them!!
ok first of all let me say i work at crnh,and one must understand how the system works to be able to really understand why the elderly have so little care.it is simple really more patients more money for staff less patients less money.therefor the cut back are a fact of life.i agree that they sometimes do not get the care they need but when you have one cna per hall taking care of five or six ppl then yes it is hard and nearly impossible to do.ex.when doing showers,and a patient messes yes one must wait to be changed you cant just walk out on one in the shower to attend another it is not fair to any of them but that is just the way it is..there is no differance then haveing childern at one one person can not change two diapers at the same time...no i should say that it is not the staff most the time it is not haveing enough staff.but when they only have say twenty patients how can they pay thirty employees..it is not hard to figure out.

Greenbrier, AR

#6 Jul 24, 2008
well if you do have a family member in crnh you really do owe it to them to spend time down there checking things out start with going down there for a meal with them and see if you have the stomache to eat that food,spend time there daily for awhile and see it all for yourself.Maybe the state should take it over,I don't know what the answer is but surely for those people's sake there is a solution because i really don't find that acceptable for anyone I love and if everyone would take the time to see it for yourself I can't believe you could stand it either.Like i said,I don't mean to be badmouthing it is just that upseting ever since my eyes were opened to it and I truly believe everybody's eyes should be open to it also.I'm pretty sure not one person working there would EVER want their loved ones to ever have to be put in there.So very sad!!!
old someday too

AOL

#7 Jul 24, 2008
Recently, my grandmother passed away in the nursing home. She was treated well, there at the end. She was in the 500 wing, or alzheimers wing, and she did get pretty good care in there. But just a few weeks earlier after a hospital stay we had her moved to a different wing, where the director said she would recieve better care.
After a few days of our family going in and finding her nearly undressed, and in bad shape, we were not happy. So a family member went in early before breakfast. She went in Grandma's room and found her dressed in only a small tshirt that was split down the back, no heel pads and if I remember correctly no depends or adult diaper. No covers or sheets over her either. So the family member covered her up and went into the restroom to wait. The young nurse aide came in with breakfast. Fed Grandma her juice, tried to get her to drink milk ( which she never liked any but buttermilk) and she said to my poor old bed ridden helpless grandma that she wasn't going to even try to feed her the nasty crap that they sent for her to eat. Then she walked out and went to another room. Our hiding family member then went to the other residents room and asked the nurse aide for the tray. I would have liked to see the look on the girls face. So, she brought the tray back and Grandma ate almost all her food and drank her water. Oh, the aide had also fed her icecream, sorry I forgot that.
So our family all had a discussion with the director and of course they all swore that this kind of stuff only happened because of understaffing, blah, blah, blah. But what would have kept on happening and what happens everyday to the residents who don't have people to visit them?
They were reported to Mike Dethrow ,and he had his assistant call, which did no good. These people deserve so much better than the excuse that crnc is understaffed. I feel like the majority of the aides are just lazy and slow. I know that even if I go bankrupt hiring someone myself to help take care of any other family member that gets old and sick, it would be better than letting them be abused and ignored at CRNC.
Oh, also we would bring in night gowns and nice house dresses and they would disappear. Why did those aides thok to steal from these old folks!
old someday too

AOL

#8 Jul 24, 2008
Sorry, I made a typo on that last sentence. I meant to write want in place of thok. Sorry.
Thinking It Over

Penrose, CO

#9 Jul 24, 2008
cna wrote:
<quoted text>ok first of all let me say i work at crnh,and one must understand how the system works to be able to really understand why the elderly have so little care.it is simple really more patients more money for staff less patients less money.therefor the cut back are a fact of life.i agree that they sometimes do not get the care they need but when you have one cna per hall taking care of five or six ppl then yes it is hard and nearly impossible to do.ex.when doing showers,and a patient messes yes one must wait to be changed you cant just walk out on one in the shower to attend another it is not fair to any of them but that is just the way it is..there is no differance then haveing childern at one one person can not change two diapers at the same time...no i should say that it is not the staff most the time it is not haveing enough staff.but when they only have say twenty patients how can they pay thirty employees..it is not hard to figure out.
OMG are you out of your mind. These people are in a facility to be taken care of. To have 24 hour a day attention. It's a shame most have those people have worked their whole life. And they spend their last years being neglected.
CNA you are in the wrong profession. Because if you cared at all about these people. You wouldn't just be worried about money.
Older people should be treasured!
Thinking It Over

Penrose, CO

#10 Jul 24, 2008
Here is a link to report abuse and neglect. Maybe if the state keeps checking up on CRNH they will get a full staff. http://www.dhss.mo.gov/FrequentlyAskedQuestio...

Greenbrier, AR

#11 Jul 24, 2008
I am really impressed tonight on 3 or 4 comments about crnc i just read!It's such a relief that even a couple more people are taking the time to check things out down there!The heartbreak i got from watching and learning how things go down there wasn't just for someone i love but for all those people that have to be there and be neglected and treated that way.I know I'll never get over all i witnessed myself and i'm so glad to hear someone else took the time to hide and watch for the sake of their family member.I honestly hope this will encourage anyone to open up your eyes and heart to this very sad problem!Don't keep letting this go on with the people that raised us and took care of us no matter what it took it was always with love and true caring and they definitely deserve at least that when they need it most.
Mothers daughter

United States

#12 Jul 24, 2008
We have all heard horror stories about the care some recieve in nursing homes. So, unless an elderly person is a harm to themself or family members, why are your loved ones in a nursing home to begin with? It is very hard to care for a loved one 24/7 and in a nursing home one person takes care of several at a time. Everyone knows that. Abuse should definately be reported, but our version of neglect is sometimes just not being able to be in 10 or 12 places at the same. time.

Greenbrier, AR

#13 Jul 24, 2008
Well a business like that should not be allowed to operate unless they're fully capable of taking care of those people like they should be taken care of.They sure like to collect their insurance and other money to see to they're paid so the least they can do is give the quality of care people pay for.And that doesn't even begin to address the problem of how most of the hired help treat the patients.That has nothing to do with money,that has more to do with common sense and treating people with kindness and understanding.There is so very little of that at crnc
old someday too

AOL

#14 Jul 24, 2008
Mothers daughter wrote:
We have all heard horror stories about the care some recieve in nursing homes. So, unless an elderly person is a harm to themself or family members, why are your loved ones in a nursing home to begin with?
I guess you have never had a loved one with dementia or alzheimers disease. It's easy to say that you would never put your loved one in a home, but just wait until you go through that. We all said the same, until Grandma became impossible to watch 24/7. Try taking care of someone all day everyday with no break from it. You would become exhausted and worn out. You don't know where else to turn or what else to do. Now, since we've all seen what it's truly like there, none of us will ever put another loved one in a home like this one. I don't care what excuses the director, and workers use, there is no reason for some of the things that go on there.
its just me

Quitman, AR

#15 Jul 25, 2008
guest wrote:
well if you do have a family member in crnh you really do owe it to them to spend time down there checking things out start with going down there for a meal with them and see if you have the stomache to eat that food,spend time there daily for awhile and see it all for yourself.Maybe the state should take it over,I don't know what the answer is but surely for those people's sake there is a solution because i really don't find that acceptable for anyone I love and if everyone would take the time to see it for yourself I can't believe you could stand it either.Like i said,I don't mean to be badmouthing it is just that upseting ever since my eyes were opened to it and I truly believe everybody's eyes should be open to it also.I'm pretty sure not one person working there would EVER want their loved ones to ever have to be put in there.So very sad!!!
i do eat there and the food is wonderfull if not ordered by the dr's
old some day too

AOL

#16 Jul 26, 2008
My concern isn't the quality of the food, but the quality of care. I STRONGLY urge any one who has family in that place to get down there very often and make sure your loved one is being taken care of.
The excuse you'll hear most often for the residents poor treatment is understaffing due to budget, but I find that hard to believe. You see too many girls taking smoke breaks and talking to their visiting boyfriends to be overworked.
That's just my opinion.

Clyde, TX

#17 Jul 26, 2008
well the quality of the food might not be the most urgent but is very important to most people.We all need food for nutrition and that place isn't just a matter of not being "wonderful" but I'm telling you it is disgusting!I'm sorry I don't mean that to be mean or nasty it's just the truth.Our family eats everyday common simple food and it's not too much to expect that for people that's ate that way their entire lives.And as far as understaffing or the budget it's even worse to try to excuse the treatment of those people over money!When they were raising us do you think they treated us awful because money was scarce?I know how i was taken care of and treated did not depend on money.If they are that bad off at crnc I suggest maybe it's time the state took over or whatever needs to be done to take proper care of those people.I hope this just opens eyes to the place and anyone who has someone in current river nursing center please just make yourself spend some time down there finding out for yourself!That is the only reason I'm speaking out on here at all.Even if it only gets 1 or 2 of you to go see it for yourself,that's better than just keeping my mouth shut because I can promise you,it's been very hard to know all this and wish everyone that's a patient down there had someone to care enough about them to speak up for them.
WHATEVER

Dahlonega, GA

#18 Jul 27, 2008
To the person who eats at Current River Nursing Center....that is crap....My mother was in there and everytime I had to go through that door the smell alone would make me want to puke...and the care for the patients...understaffing explanation....well only take on the amount of patients you have employees to give good care for...wow...now that's a thought....oh wait...is this about the quality of care for the eldery or sick or about the money....you tell me....and no....our Mom would not have been in there is there were ANY possible way to bypass it...unfortunately..our medical system require skilled nursing facility or they will stop with funding...for people that are running their mouth and have never had to do this...please keep it shut until you have wiped your loved ones butt because they are "understaffed"....or until you have seen the degrading look on your loved ones face because they have laid in shit for 45 minutes...and little cna....don't tell me about being in the shower with one paitent and not being able to wipe anothers butt....SHOWERS are very RARE at the Current River Nursing Center...very rare.....have someone in there two months with one shower...wish my mother would have been the one in the shower while someone elses butt needed wiped....Hell...I wish my mother would have just been given a cool wash rag to wipe her face in the morning and I really wish all these "good" cna's would learn to wear gloves entering and exiting patients rooms!
try

Idalou, TX

#19 Jul 27, 2008
old someday too wrote:
Can anyone tell me where to call or what website to visit to complain about the nursing home? Or has anyone else been able to talk to any one who can give them a straight answer about the place? If so, who. Thanks so much.
try the state board for elderly abuse hotline. i used to work nights there and i worked with some lazy people. one girl was suppose to fill water pitchers and only did one or two on her hall. and this same girl did her night bed check and only changed one pad that was wet after 3-4 hours from the first bed check. and this girl got her cna license through this same nursing home. i don't think it is the facility itself it is the ones that work there. and i am talking about just a few of the cnas not all of them. there are some that are really good but the lazy ones make them all look bad. good luck.

Rose Bud, AR

#20 Jul 27, 2008
Wow "WHATEVER" you do sum it up well!You told it just like it goes and that is the truth!So come on people everybody open your eyes and just maybe all our loved ones can get some of that better treatment that every single one of them deserve!Even if just one gets treated better thats worth speaking up for.Like i said,these are the people that took good care of us and the least we owe them is to try to help them as much as possible through very sad and difficult times towards the end of their lives.Don't you believe thats what each of them deserve?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Doniphan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for hay 12 hr Billy 2
West Point UPC (Feb '09) Tue Kim 448
Sara Becker Tue Clearrock 1
Paul Hubbard (Jun '10) Mon Information 5
Alaskan Malamutes (Nov '09) Sun Kevin 9
Jeff Duncan or Jeffery Duncan Jan 14 ex buddy 2
Nice looking men (Mar '14) Jan 11 dead 18

Doniphan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance