Mike_Christy

Horn Lake, MS

#101 Jul 24, 2008
It has been another eventful day! Michael had to run home for a little while today, so he left early. I did the 9:00 visit by myself, and Logan is still responding to questions and doing great. My dad, sister, and Brittany came down to keep me company and visit Logan today. We had a good visit at 1:00, too, about the same. He is certainly using problem solving skills to try to get those doggone mittens off. Now they have him wrapped so you can't see his fingers at all and he really doesn't like it. Michael was back for the 5:00 visit and it was an exciting one. When we walked in his nurse told us that the PT and nurse got Logan up and he walked about 4 feet (with support). He is very weak, but he knew how to walk. He seemed pretty exhausted, but remember, he has been asleep and hasn't been on his feet or used anything for 2 1/2 weeks. He also has had no pain medication today. Pray that he gets a good nights sleep so he'll be ready to go again tomorrow.

All his numbers are improving, white count, hemoglobin, blood sugar, CO2. He is doing just fine without the ventilator. Michael toured a Rehab facility in Jonesboro today. They tell us we aren't too far off from moving on up!
WeLiveHereToo

AOL

#102 Jul 24, 2008
Praise the Lord!

Thank you so much, Christy, for keeping us posted. It is wonderful of you to do these updates when you have so much on your mind already.

What wonderful news.
TLJ

Trinity, TX

#103 Jul 24, 2008
I will continue to pray for him.
I am so happy to hear

Faridabad, India

#104 Jul 24, 2008
I am so happy to hear that he is doing so good. God is doing just wonders in you alls life. Thank you for coimng on here and keeping us up dated.

Since: Jul 08

Doniphan, MO

#105 Jul 24, 2008
Mike & Christy,
That is absolutely wonderful news for him to be off of the ventilator, walking, no pain meds...all in the last couple of days. Only a matter of time and he will be playing ball again. Isn't it wonderful what God can do. e are still praying for everyone's strength.

Greg, Erica, Spencer and Gracie
Happy

United States

#106 Jul 24, 2008
Glad to hear he is doing so much better. You are in our prayers
Darin

Faridabad, India

#107 Jul 24, 2008
Amazing! What a testament to the power of prayer!
X O X O X O

Conway, AR

#108 Jul 24, 2008
Hugs and Kisses to Logan
Concerned

Vilonia, AR

#109 Jul 24, 2008
Mike, Christy and Logan,

I hadn't checked the site in a few days and am glad I did tonight. So much good news.

Gentle Hugs, and many thoughts and prayers.
3 PIGGS

Conway, AR

#110 Jul 25, 2008
We are so thankful for Logan's progress and look forward to him getting closer to home. God just allowed Logan to rest for the awesome work in our community that he has planned for him.
lex

Lombard, IL

#111 Jul 25, 2008
you wanna see a miracle, here one is. I have seen lots of people on my CAT scan table not recover this fast or at all.. The big guy must have some plans for him.
Mike_Christy

Horn Lake, MS

#112 Jul 25, 2008
Hello!

Sorry I'm a little later today. I was waiting to see if they would get his trach changed by 5:00 so I could report he is talking. Unfortunately, they run on Jamaica time here at the hospital! We were there when the docs did rounds this morning and we were told they would probably do another bronchoscopy today. To do this, they would have to put him back on the ventilator and sedate him. She said she would wait and look at the chest Xray first and see if it had improved from yesterday. Michael and I prayed hard as we left, because we really don't want him to go through this test again. It is very hard on him. As we all know God answers prayer. When we came back at 1:00 his nurse said he would be getting a new trach today and no bronchoscopy! Praise the Lord!

Logan has had a good day today. He really seems to like his nurse of the day. He smiles at her every time she looks at him. He always has been a flirt! The trauma docs came around today and are ready to switch him to a smaller trach tube. When they do, he will be able to put acap on it to talk! He will be really hoarse for a while, but I know he will feel better when he can tell us what he wants. In a day or two they will do a swallow study, and if he swallows ok, which he will, they will start him on clear liquids and hopefully get that PEG out of his stomach in a few days.

He had visitors today, Brittany, Katelynn, Derek, & Caleb came to see him and I know it was a shock for them. I have to explain that while he is doing great and making improvements each day he is still very weak and not always willing to respond to everyone all the time. This is only temporary though. It is just part of the healing process. Remember, he was asleep (Deep sleep) for two weeks. Just think about if you have ever had surgery and been put under even for a couple of hours. You are tired and weak for a day or two afterwards. We just have to give him time. Once he starts eating and walking and getting PT regularly he will improve by leaps and bounds. Love you all and hope to be home soon. God bless!

Michael & Christy Smith
Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD,
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future.
amazed

United States

#113 Jul 26, 2008
Mike & Christy,
I have known your family for about 15 years. I have always known all of you to be kind, pleasant christian people. When I heard of Logan's accident I was saddened for you all. As I prayed for God's intervention and for Him to send strength to Logan and his family I was reminded of how strong I remembered your family to be. Over the last hour, as I have read each and every post, I have wept, prayed and rejoiced for you. Your faith is amazing and a true testimony to all of us. For such loving parents that are facing possibly their toughest battle yet to begin every update with "today was a good day", this shows true faith and praise to our Lord. I have true admiration for the two of you and pray you will never lose your devotion to your faith. I will continually to pray for all of you and wish all good things from here on out. Thank you for being a living testimony to our Lord and Savior and His miraculous works.
Amen

Quitman, AR

#114 Jul 26, 2008
Your faith is a testimonial to all of us. Your positive attitude and optimism is incredible. As a nurse, I know how important these things are. I will continue to keep Logan and your family in my prayers. Keep up the great work!!
grade school buddies

Clyde, TX

#115 Jul 26, 2008
Ive went to school with Logan all 13 yrs!
I know Chrisy... and thats about it with the family!
Ive been praying for Logan since I heard adn will continue to do so! I am relieved that he is doing better!
Please keep posting updates... it really does help me keep praying... seeing that it is working!

May GOD bless Logan, his family & all the hospital staff. I know everyone is doing what they can to bring him home!

* I know its late.. but Miach.. if you check this.. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!* I know it must suck not to spend it with your family... but they will be home shortly! we all hope & pray!
praying

Saint Marys, PA

#116 Jul 26, 2008
you and your family will always be in our prayers.
Mike_Christy

Horn Lake, MS

#117 Jul 26, 2008
We got to visit with some of Logan' docs today. He is now down to just a single regular IV. They took his main artery line out because the only thing he is getting now is antibiotics. His pneumonia is finally clearing up and his temp is staying around 99-100. Dr. Van Poppel, one of the brain docs, told us he was doing good. He said he will recover, he just needs time. Our 9:00 visit was spent watching him sleep. He was in the chair and completely still and sound asleep. He seems to have days and nights mixed up. The nurse said he had been awake all night, with only a catnap once or twice.

Around noon his nurse called and said he would be gone to MRI at 1:00 so we needed to wait til after 2:00 to come visit. The MRI is just to make sure he doesn't have any ligament damage in his neck. He moves his neck and doesn't have any pain, but they want to make sure before they take the C-collar off. Since we couldn't see him until later we went to eat lunch with Todd, Brenda and the girls. We had a good time catching up and visiting with our friends. When we called to check on Logan they told us they weren't able to do the MRI because Logan wouldn't be still. He is a real fidgeter! They did ask us to wait until 3:00 though because they were putting the smaller trach in. When we got there at 3:00 we had a note from the Andrews family. They got to visit Logan at 1:00. We hate that we missed them, but glad Logan was back in the room. Logan was asleep at 3:00 and again at 5:00. They had given him Percoset, Morphine, and Adavan to try to keep him still for the MRI. He should be able to talk now with his trach capped, but he was out for the count. We will try again at 9:00.

They should do a swallow study on Monday morning. If all goes well, they will start giving him clear liquids. I can't wait to get that feeding tube out of him! It really seems to bother him. He scratches at it alot. We don't believe it will be too much longer before he goes to rehab. We are so ready to get a little closer to home and to be able to stay with him all the time. Thanks for your concern and encouragement. God bless you all!

Michael & Christy Smith
Mike_Christy

Horn Lake, MS

#118 Jul 27, 2008
Logan has been awake all three times we have seen him today! It's good to see his eyes and see him respond. He still won't talk, but he is getting closer. He is really mouthing words now, he just won't say them out loud. Every time we tell him he can talk he shakes his head no and points to his trach. We have explained that he can talk with that in but he just won't try. I'm sure he can feel that in his neck and doesn't feel comfortable talking. Maybe he will get it out in a couple of days. He has responded much better today, smiling and nodding and waving.

Cody, Rhonda and Drew were here for the 1:00 visit and Logan smiled bigger than we have seen in a while. He smiled as soon as he heard Cody's voice! My mom and dad came down today too. This is Mom's first time to see him (and me) since the accident. Boy, have I missed her! I'm glad he was awake for the visit. He gave Dad a high five and knucks, first time for that. His reactions are becoming more than just nods. Brittany and her mom were here today too, and he had smiles for them as well. Ron and Sue are here now and will see him with us later tonight. They brought us the sign Debbie Cox had made for him with all the good wishes from his church family. What a great idea! We will put it in his room and leave it for him to look at.

We look forward to tomorrow, because we know he can swallow fine and we are anxious for him to get to drink something. He hasn't had anything in his mouth for 3 weeks! I can't imagine how that must feel. Keep up the prayers and pass on the good news!

Michael & Christy Smith
Mike_Christy

Horn Lake, MS

#119 Jul 28, 2008
It has been an eventful Monday! Last night around midnight, Logan was moved upstairs to StepDown ICU, so we got to a new room to visit. He has a private room now and nursing is still 2 patients to 1 nurse. I must say, though, today's nurse can't compare to those we had in TICU, but they had high standard to meet. Ron and Sue were here this morning and Ron got Logan to smile a lot. He stayed awake our whole visit and he mouthed to Sue, "Love you too." Melissa Stewart and Eric came down and visited today and got more than they bargained for! The physical therapist came in and worked with Logan and then asked Michael to help him get Logan up. With a walker and their support, Logan stood up and walked in place. I was behind him, keeping all the wires straight and Melissa was in front of him coaxing Logan to move toward her! He did great, but when he was finished he turned white as a sheet and passed out. His vitals were fine, it just took a lot of exertion for him to do that. When we saw him at 5:00 he was fine. He was awake and smiling. Tina, Micah and Brittany were there and he was enjoying all the attention.

This morning, our case manager came in and talked to us about a rehab facility in Atlanta, Ga. It is called Shepherd Center and they have a unit specifically for brain injuries. She told us it was the best and recommended it highly. They have low level therapy there, meaning they will start working with him in his present state and build up to three hours +. The others around here that specialize in brain trauma require him to be ready to do 3 hours of therapy a day at time of admission. We have had many nurses & doctors tell us we should take him to Shepherd. It is a hard decision to make, but we don't want to make a decision based on convenience for us, because it is only a month or our time, but we believe it is a decision that will affect Logan the rest of his life. We want him not to just get good care, but the best, so please be in prayer about this decision with us. We will be meeting with the Shepherd rep this week. Keep us in your prayers.

Michael & Christy Smith
great

United States

#120 Jul 28, 2008
Pray to GOD and let HIM guide you!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Doniphan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Parallel parking 1 hr Concerned parent 1
Creepy man looking for dead girl calls himself ... 23 hr your brain on drugs 7
Stolen wheels and tires Wed Might b ur guy 3
Windjammers Wed big boss 32
city of Neelyville Aug 14 justme 3
Big Al and Sharon at club 67 Aug 13 Jerry 3
River Aug 13 NothingNew 66

Doniphan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance