Felon Hunting Rights
what

Chesterfield, MO

#44 Oct 25, 2011
not disputin my actions im just sayin 22 yrs later i am legal law abiden tax payin citzen of usa but i cant take my children huntin w a gun
derek

Calmar, IA

#45 Mar 1, 2012
you sound like a very uneducated person. there is alot of non violent felons in the world. i was convicted of 3rd offence owi 18 years ago, and havent had a drink since then. all i want to do is hunt with my grandsons. think about it.
jcn

Memphis, TN

#46 May 24, 2012
You are incorrect!. A convicted felon CAN possess a fire arm, that includes muzzle loaders and guns made prior to 1899. This is federal law that covers all 50 states.
Steven reddish

United States

#47 Jun 3, 2012
Plain and simple if you payed for a crime that should be it . Taking a gun away from some that wants to do harm is not going to stop them . It's in the hart of that person plain and simple I have no problem with a convicted felon having a gun writes they pay for there sin so all writes should be restored to them , but it's all about moony trying to keep a criminal a criminal the courts make more money that way.
oOo

Harrison, AR

#48 Jun 17, 2012
If a felon lives a good life for a number of years after their crime they should try asking the Govenor for a pardon, that would restore their gun rights. The President can also pardon folks.
You can black powder hunt and hunt with bow and arrows so hunting is not impossible.
Ray

Mountain Home, AR

#49 Jun 17, 2012
jcn wrote:
You are incorrect!. A convicted felon CAN possess a fire arm, that includes muzzle loaders and guns made prior to 1899. This is federal law that covers all 50 states.
hat you are quoting is federal law, however each state has its own gun laws. Missouri does happen to go along with federal law but Arkansas does not. Here a convicted felon cannot own ANY firearm no matter when it was made. Missouri has tried several convicted felons for possession of black powder guns in federal court.
jesse

United States

#50 Oct 14, 2012
guest wrote:
you need to get your sh!t straight a felon can have a muzzle loader i know iam a felon.
is that in all states?
Ray

Bexar, AR

#51 Oct 14, 2012
jesse wrote:
<quoted text> is that in all states?
Federal law does say a felon can own any weapon made before 1899 because its considered a curio and also a black powder. Missouri law goes along with federal on this, however most stated don't follow federal law. Arkansas law denies a felon from owning any gun, so does Ky. and many other states. Also Missouri has tried felons under federal law for possession of a black powder weapon. Its a gamble and probably not worth the risk.
Ray

Bexar, AR

#52 Oct 14, 2012
I just read Missouri House Bill 2034 about Missouri gun laws and it is strange. Reading it maked me think a felon can't even own a pellet gun in Missouri. Check it out for yourself.
hmmmm

Greenbrier, AR

#53 Oct 15, 2012
So..what are you saying?

Greenbrier, AR

#54 Oct 15, 2012
Can you hunt with a felony?
warm winter

Greenbrier, AR

#55 Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for clearing that up for us.
real crime

Vilonia, AR

#56 Oct 16, 2012
Steven reddish wrote:
Plain and simple if you payed for a crime that should be it . Taking a gun away from some that wants to do harm is not going to stop them . It's in the hart of that person plain and simple I have no problem with a convicted felon having a gun writes they pay for there sin so all writes should be restored to them , but it's all about moony trying to keep a criminal a criminal the courts make more money that way.
The real crime here is your spelling!! Maybe you should have stayed in school and learned how to spell before posting on the Internet under your real name and making a fool of yourself! I understand though, your last name says it all!!
warm winter

Greenbrier, AR

#57 Oct 17, 2012
real crime wrote:
<quoted text>
The real crime here is your spelling!! Maybe you should have stayed in school and learned how to spell before posting on the Internet under your real name and making a fool of yourself! I understand though, your last name says it all!!
Thanks for clearing that up for us...but can a felon hunt?
sbigdaddyj

Kernersville, NC

#58 Oct 20, 2012
In nc if ur a felon u can have a muzzelloader and a crossbow . I know bc I had a good friend that's a felon that hunts like theirs no tomorrow and someone called crime stoppers on him and his crime was done 15 or so years ago and he has some of it exsponged all but the removal of the felony. He has had a hunting licenes for the last 15 years big game and they always let him have them so the other day the law wipps up on him at home and tells him somebody called crimestoppers and reported him so when they got their they found a rifel and a crossbow in his truck . They left the bow but took the gun and told him they might be back to aresst him for the rifel. Makes no scence but being ur a felon u need to know the rules and they don't play
warm winter

Greenbrier, AR

#59 Oct 20, 2012
warm winter wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for clearing that up for us...but can a felon hunt?
Again?
FFL

United States

#60 Oct 21, 2012
This old thread has produced many comments, some correct and many totally inaccurate. Some comments were made by persons that obviously had no clue or knowledge of the subject. Many others appeared well informed and included references.

Even among various local law enforcement agencies there's a great deal of confusion as to the interpretation of Missouri & Federal firearms laws.

Regardless, the common thread is that a felon may not possess a firearm unless pardoned by the Governor. But the controversy over what constitutes a firearm is still not understood by many of us.

Also, I feel a few points that have not been addressed comprehensively are areas such as the fact that a "firearm" as defined by federal law and Missouri revised statutes are different.

While it is true that federal definition of firearm does exempt specific muzzle loaders, antique, curios and guns made pre 1898 and some replicas, etc. and federal law does NOT classify those as “firearms”.

Missouri law is different. Essentially if it is capable of propelling a projectile by means of an explosive or even compressed air, Missouri law classifies it as a firearm (excluding bow, slingshots, etc.) Missouri law does delegate regulation of pneumatic gins to local jurisdictions in some instances.

Secondly, although in many situations federal law does take precedence, in this case it does not. The state law is more restrictive. If a person is charged for a violation under state law the state's statute will prevail in every instance.

As to the issue of a felon having the right to hunt using a black powder firearm in Missouri, there's one significant complication. Both under federal and Missouri law classify "black powder" as an "explosive". Under both federal and Missouri state law anyone convicted of a felony (sometimes stated as a violation that potentially carries a penalty of more than a year imprisonment) is prohibited from possessing an explosive. I'm not knowledgeable enough to figure out how anyone can get around that and determine that a felon can hunt with a muzzle loader using black powder as the propellant.
warm winter

Greenbrier, AR

#61 Oct 21, 2012
Thank you..this helps!

“the hammer”

Since: Oct 08

n a

#62 Oct 29, 2012
lemon party dot org,, that site will tell all you need to know,,just put in your state in question,, :) thanks

“the hammer”

Since: Oct 08

n a

#63 Oct 29, 2012
oops ,,, compound word,, lemonparty dot org,,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Doniphan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
can you coach at school without degree? (May '13) 21 min sup 14
banning inboard boats on current river (Jul '09) 19 hr Swimmer 57
Bank Fraud Participants Worried Thu geana 23
Bryan Hart sleeping with Melissa Harris? Thu guest 29
Fireworks Wed Sue 1
Paris Mcfall(maiden)?? (Nov '08) Tue Hadit 18
rickie maples Jun 28 Duck 8

Doniphan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance