Why isn't Donalsonville Georgia Growing?
simpleminded

Broxton, GA

#61 Jul 25, 2008
seminole facts wrote:
The problem goes back to phillip hornsby, bert thomas, donald moore, raymond miller, and all the other people in the town that has BIG farms and of course lewis manufacturing..."Quote don't let any big businesses move in here because then we will have to increase our wages to keep our employees"" Simple minded well the name fits so very well, Since you know so much LOL why don't you go to the TAX APPRAISER office and pull the bill of sale from the dealership and you will find that it was sold.. NOT AUCTION OFF.. IF you are so unhappy living there go do something about it... why don't all of you that is against the city and county elected officals go picket in front of the court house and the city.. oh I forget that would require WORK something evidently yall are not use to because of all the time wasted typing on the computer NOT knowing the TRUTH... SO GET UP AND GO PICKET...I CHALLENGE EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU... I VERY SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT WILL EVER HAPPEN.. Just like yall never attend the city council meetings or the county commisioners meeting...SOUNDS LIKE A BUNCH OF WOMEN SIT AROUND AND BITCH AND WHINE. AND WILL NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT..
I didn't write what I think...but what I know..and about being too busy sitting at a computer to attend school board meetings, city council meeting, and county commission meetings, how do you know I don't?? I definitely didn't attend the last two school board meetings because the meetings weren't posted early enough for ME to get the news. Yes, there were many people at the first called meeting, how did they know? I don't know. Maybe someone called them or maybe they live close enough to the courthouse (if it was posted) to check everyday. Maybe their health is good enough they are able to get around and go where they want anytime they want. Maybe they aren't retired, on a fixed income and don't have to worry about gas or groceries......WHATEVER....... .
Howdy

Broxton, GA

#62 Jul 25, 2008
If we can't say something good, we shouldn't say anything at all.
Steel Magnolia

Enterprise, AL

#63 Jul 25, 2008
Howdy wrote:
If we can't say something good, we shouldn't say anything at all.
I guess that winds up the posts on this topic.
dville2tally

Tallahassee, FL

#64 Jul 25, 2008
What an amazing site! I get to see how Donalsonville hasn't really changed much since I left! I hear there is a mess there. I can't really complain and I know this happens everywhere, but at least where I am its growing. I moved away from Donalsonville because itj wasn't going anywhere !!!!!!! I love it here in Tallahassee! Anyways... Ok lets see Its coming time for me to think about retiring and Im not sure I want to move back to Donalsonville with all the community at each others throats! OH MY!!!! GOOD LUCK DONALSONVILLE!!!!!!!! I'll KEEP YOU IN MY PRAYERS!
public information

United States

#65 Jul 25, 2008
see if good ole donalsonville can get one of those public information channels like bainbridge has and then they can broadcast all public meetings for convenience of their peoples. i think mediacom might give them one if they ask and then they could replay on the channel. but that might be invasive for those last minute "called" meetings
StrawHat

Adel, GA

#66 Jul 25, 2008
simpleminded wrote:
Marty Shingler lost the auto dealership that he inherited free and clear. When problems arise in the city government, he walks/sits around like his head is off in a cloud somewhere and if he ever catches on about what the problems may be, he has no clue what to do. He is being paid two salaries from taxpayers money. Don't count on him if problems arise. It's a joke and everyone who lives here knows it. As far as Donalsonville Hospital and the doctors here goes, here is a story. One of the doctors quit practicing. She did not notify her patients in advance...maybe some of her favorites...the remaining doctors agreed to take "see" some of her patients as their patients but refused to accept many. These people were left without doctors. Want to use a doctor in Donalsonville, Seminole County. You can't. You have to be special chosen...If you want a doctor, you're forced to go to Colquitt, Bainbridge, Dothan, Thomasville or Tallahassee, Fl. Aint' that a hoot?. Ask me, I know. Not hearsay, but cold hard facts. I could write a book....Hmmm.....maybe I should.
Donalsonville is a town with new sidewalks, street lamps, a bench every so many feet, and rotten run down store buildings that no one occupies. Any business that tries to come to Donalsonville or Seminole County changes their mind, much to the delight of our city and county council and officers. THEY DON'T WANT NEW BUSINESS......The Chamber of Commerce is sickening. What have they done? In a word, nothing.......Give us some shopping centers, give us some stores and we'll spend our money here, maybe. The reason everybody in Donalsonville and Seminole County don't shop and spend their money here is because there are no places to shop here.
Name. You don't know a damn thing about what you are blabbing about. Marty sold the dealership and made a profit(Smart). He handles both jobs very well. Follow him around and you will see. The Hospital is in top 100 in the nation. Never had a problem seeing a doctor here when I need one. Only thing I can't find in Donalsonville that I have to out of town for is clothes. There is only 2000 people in Donalsonville and you think it can support shopping centers? Give me a break.
youreallycangoho meagain

United States

#67 Jul 25, 2008
simpleminded wrote:
Marty Shingler lost the auto dealership that he inherited free and clear. When problems arise in the city government, he walks/sits around like his head is off in a cloud somewhere and if he ever catches on about what the problems may be, he has no clue what to do. He is being paid two salaries from taxpayers money. Don't count on him if problems arise. It's a joke and everyone who lives here knows it. As far as Donalsonville Hospital and the doctors here goes, here is a story. One of the doctors quit practicing. She did not notify her patients in advance...maybe some of her favorites...the remaining doctors agreed to take "see" some of her patients as their patients but refused to accept many. These people were left without doctors. Want to use a doctor in Donalsonville, Seminole County. You can't. You have to be special chosen...If you want a doctor, you're forced to go to Colquitt, Bainbridge, Dothan, Thomasville or Tallahassee, Fl. Aint' that a hoot?. Ask me, I know. Not hearsay, but cold hard facts. I could write a book....Hmmm.....maybe I should.
Donalsonville is a town with new sidewalks, street lamps, a bench every so many feet, and rotten run down store buildings that no one occupies. Any business that tries to come to Donalsonville or Seminole County changes their mind, much to the delight of our city and county council and officers. THEY DON'T WANT NEW BUSINESS......The Chamber of Commerce is sickening. What have they done? In a word, nothing.......Give us some shopping centers, give us some stores and we'll spend our money here, maybe. The reason everybody in Donalsonville and Seminole County don't shop and spend their money here is because there are no places to shop here.
I believe someone told me that she was pregnant at the time and having complications....don't think anybody could critize her for taking care of herself and her unborn children
Ms_Hopson

Apollo Beach, FL

#68 Jul 26, 2008
Hello to everyone I was born in that small town 35yrs years ago and I must say the change they made was a pizza hut, rite-aid,and a new hotel.The way the economy is going today that place needs more jobs. But if you do contiune to have the same people on the seats there of course there will never be change,I was looking forward to moving back home and raising my kids there and taking them away from this city. But in that town no one has a voice and like someone said it is a generational curse on that place. People seems like they are afraid of change why, when you can contiune to have that good ole boy style there just the same. My family was there for a family reunion this past weekend and its a shame when we come we really don't have nothing to do for the younger kids.I Love my hometown but YES it is time for change but the PEOPLE MUST SPEAK UP!!!!! God Bless and may the Lord pour down his blessing on that town. Sincerely, Miss.L Hopson Tampa,Florida
Jester

United States

#69 Jul 26, 2008
stay in tampa.
Ms_Hopson

Apollo Beach, FL

#70 Jul 27, 2008
You stay in Climax because apparently you don't live there either. That's my birthplace and if I want to I will move where ever my heart desire and I'm required to speak my mind,so please don't push my buttons because you don't know me and know who you are dealing with. AND AGAIN YES THERE NEEDS TO BE CHANGES PEOPLE SPEAKING YOUR [email protected]@@ING MIND!!!!!!!!!! D>MN WHAT THE F>CK EVERYONE ELSE SAYS THAT'S YOUR HOME AND THE OUTSIDE TOWNS, CITYS FORGET WHAT THE H>LL THEY HAVE TO SAY.NOW IM PISSED OFF!!!!!!!!!!
hometown honkey

Gray, GA

#71 Jul 27, 2008
Ms_Hopson wrote:
You stay in Climax because apparently you don't live there either. That's my birthplace and if I want to I will move where ever my heart desire and I'm required to speak my mind,so please don't push my buttons because you don't know me and know who you are dealing with. AND AGAIN YES THERE NEEDS TO BE CHANGES PEOPLE SPEAKING YOUR [email protected]@@ING MIND!!!!!!!!!! D>MN WHAT THE F>CK EVERYONE ELSE SAYS THAT'S YOUR HOME AND THE OUTSIDE TOWNS, CITYS FORGET WHAT THE H>LL THEY HAVE TO SAY.NOW IM PISSED OFF!!!!!!!!!!
You just showed your ignorance, now didn't you..........
VOR1053

Duluth, GA

#72 Jul 27, 2008
GA girl wrote:
<quoted text> POINT PROVEN ABOUT BEING A DUMB ASS ALL COUNTY AND CITY EMPLOYEES PAY THE SAME INSURANCE PREMIUM.... TYPICALLY DUMB ASS REPUBILCAN..........
GA Girl, I agreee however Repubublicans and Democrats are both Dumb asses in my opinion.
VOR1053

Duluth, GA

#73 Jul 27, 2008
Ms_Hopson wrote:
Wow..LOL.. Ms. Hopson, dont let "laptop gangsters" get you upset, i.e. people behind computers that talk crap, kinda like what you did....LOL..okay that was funny though!!!

However in reference to your quote, I agree that not much has changed since I left Donalsonville several years ago notwithstanding the addition of pizza hut, rite-aid and a few more stores, LOL.

If you feel you want to raise your kids there by all means move there. You can start to bring about change yourself, you dont have to wait for the "old guard" to change, if indeed it has to change. Despite all of the negative things I see on this board I still think D'ville is a safe and nice place to raise kids. They wont have much to do as far as popular entertainment but that is just a short drive away. I do think that getting them away from there to see other places would be important..That's how I kept my sanity growing up there.. Okay thats my $0.02.
take care,
Jester

United States

#74 Jul 27, 2008
HA...damn. Hopson's up there yacking about not being able to speak her mind, and yet, when i do, she goes off on me.
another thing, i think we've already had the location discussion. it may have been on another blog. anyhow, i'll refresh you.
everytime you click submit on this thing, it may throw a different location of where you are posting from. so mine said climax last time, sometimes it says valdosta. go figure? i don't know...
but being that you ASSUme that i don't live here in donalsonville, you totally missed the boat on that one! maybe the entire lake. i have lived here all my life.
i like your vocabulary though hopson...very extensive and educated.
The Dark Knight

Clearwater, FL

#75 Jul 28, 2008
well this was entertaining...and to think i almost didn't read this one...
CurryMan

Perry, GA

#76 Jul 28, 2008
Ms_Hopson wrote:
One minute you are praising and praying and the next you are cussing everybody out. my what a fine christian you are.
Jester

Dana Point, CA

#77 Jul 28, 2008
it just keeps getting better!! i love it. LOL!!
seminole citizen

Fitzgerald, GA

#78 Aug 6, 2008
David Miller MN wrote:
What is the problem? You can move away for 20 years not much change at all. You can see a few new restarunt a couple dollars stores and that is about it. Not much industries at all. Look around you see that same damn hospital that has been falling in for years right downtown. You still have the same people managing city and the chamber. You know whenever you're in a postion for so long you get comfortable. You stop going that extra mile. Wake up! Let's not let this town become ghost town.
P.S I love the new sport complex.
But we don't have as many robberies and murders at other places. Maybe one in the past year. I agree we need more things in this town but why fix it, if it's not broke. I like my little town, so maybe that's why I stayed here. It's peaceful and comfortable. Just imagine in the next 20 years it may still be the same way, Bainbridge is getting bad since they put wal-mart and other places in, don't get me wrong,I enjoy going there and being able to shop but it is rediculous about the robberies, and other problems happening all around us.
seminole citizen

Fitzgerald, GA

#79 Aug 6, 2008
Voters be AWARE wrote:
To one of the posts above --- financial records for government offices are public record -- all you have to do is ask to see a copy.
Mr Marty has done good things for the city. Mr Marty has done good things for the county. However it is my personal opinion that the same person do NOT need to hold both positions. In the past I noticed that if there ever was a conflict between city and county - he would always promote city over county.
Now I don't know if he flys anyone around in his plane viewing the county or not -- and if so how much is he reimbursed for it. Never had a reason to check into it. And even if he does -- I don't see a problem. He's available during during the day to do so.
If your talking about Marty Shingler well I have to disagree on the county part, he's suppose to be the county commisioner in my district.... Well when I had an issue with the road I lived on, I notified him about it, he told me he would handle it, yeah right, I had another county commisioner in a different district do the job for me, and a good job I might add. It's ashame when we have to rely on other people to do the job he should have done.
Just K

Newton, AL

#80 Aug 6, 2008
Marty Shingler is not a county commissioner.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Donalsonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Spate of homicides puts Columbus in a season of... 2 hr Harvey 13
Columbus-Phenix City music scene (Jun '15) 8 hr Victor Hugo 897
Poll Is the Columbus music scene legitimate (Jul '12) 8 hr Victor Hugo 7,005
Advertising 8 hr Victor Hugo 24
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (May '15) 9 hr Victor Hugo 2,354
Word Association (May '15) 9 hr Victor Hugo 1,665
Foxy 10 hr Jealous 10

Donalsonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance