Does anybody agree that this is the greatest Pope in our lifetime

Posted in the Dolton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Catholics

Chicago, IL

#1 Sep 19, 2013
I have never really thought much about the words or actions of the Pope. Maybe I am just getting old but the way he presents himself, the words and deeds make me proud to call myself Catholic. He is one of us. I think he may very well be a saint.
wow

United States

#2 Sep 21, 2013
If only the pope was your salvation. This pope is taking Catholics down a terrible road. I find that most Catholics rarely open a Bible. I don't believe the pope has either. His latest statement, saying that anyone can get to heaven, as long as they are a "good person", is incredibly ignorant!! Good luck with your eternity.
Catholics

United States

#3 Sep 21, 2013
How do you think we are allowed into heaven? What does the Bible say? Jesus is my salvation. Do you question my eternity?
Catholics

United States

#4 Sep 21, 2013
wow wrote:
If only the pope was your salvation. This pope is taking Catholics down a terrible road. I find that most Catholics rarely open a Bible. I don't believe the pope has either. His latest statement, saying that anyone can get to heaven, as long as they are a "good person", is incredibly ignorant!! Good luck with your eternity.
I find it incredible that you believe our Pope has not opened a Bible. I will pray for you as you seem to have much conflict in your soul.
wow

United States

#5 Sep 21, 2013
I find it disturbing that you are asking how you get to heaven, and then ask what the bible says about it. This again shows me that the bible is not something most Catholics read much of. Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is a gift from God, NOT of works, lest anyone should boast." I did not comment to start an argument. I am a Christian and don't want to see ANYONE spend eternity in Hell, however, if you believe the Pope, and think you will get into Heaven by being a good person, then I pray you let Jesus Christ into your heart, so you may know the truth, and spend eternity in Heaven with me.
Catholics

United States

#6 Sep 21, 2013
wow wrote:
I find it disturbing that you are asking how you get to heaven, and then ask what the bible says about it. This again shows me that the bible is not something most Catholics read much of. Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is a gift from God, NOT of works, lest anyone should boast." I did not comment to start an argument. I am a Christian and don't want to see ANYONE spend eternity in Hell, however, if you believe the Pope, and think you will get into Heaven by being a good person, then I pray you let Jesus Christ into your heart, so you may know the truth, and spend eternity in Heaven with me.
I thank you for your comments and have to agree that most Catholics have not read the Bible, including myself. However, when you comment that the Pope has not read the Bible that is an argumentative statement. I do not look to the Pope for my salvation. I simply stated he is the greatest Pope of our lifetime. He walks among us and has taken a different approach. His words and deeds have had a profound effect on me.
wow

Chicago, IL

#7 Sep 21, 2013
Catholics wrote:
<quoted text>I thank you for your comments and have to agree that most Catholics have not read the Bible, including myself. However, when you comment that the Pope has not read the Bible that is an argumentative statement. I do not look to the Pope for my salvation. I simply stated he is the greatest Pope of our lifetime. He walks among us and has taken a different approach. His words and deeds have had a profound effect on me.
That's fine, but I only said that it doesn't seem like the pope reads the bible, when the bible very clearly says how one gets to heaven. It bothers me greatly that someone like the pope can simply say that you can go to heaven by being a "good person". To me that is very dangerous! Giving people a false sense of security, especially when it pertains to their salvation is something that I can only see Satan doing. So maybe you can understand my concern about the pope making such a statement. I was raised catholic, but I have been saved and I have been baptized as an adult. I know what salvation consists of, and I know it because I read the bible. I don't know where the pope is getting his information. My mother is catholic and has told me she doesn't read the bible. I asked her once, if she knows she is going to heaven... She said "I sure hope so". That is a sad statement. I am sure of where I am going in the next life. Jesus Christ promises that. John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, so that whosoever that believes in him, shall not perish, but have eternal life".
discontent

United States

#8 Sep 21, 2013
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
That's fine, but I only said that it doesn't seem like the pope reads the bible, when the bible very clearly says how one gets to heaven. It bothers me greatly that someone like the pope can simply say that you can go to heaven by being a "good person". To me that is very dangerous! Giving people a false sense of security, especially when it pertains to their salvation is something that I can only see Satan doing. So maybe you can understand my concern about the pope making such a statement. I was raised catholic, but I have been saved and I have been baptized as an adult. I know what salvation consists of, and I know it because I read the bible. I don't know where the pope is getting his information. My mother is catholic and has told me she doesn't read the bible. I asked her once, if she knows she is going to heaven... She said "I sure hope so". That is a sad statement. I am sure of where I am going in the next life. Jesus Christ promises that. John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, so that whosoever that believes in him, shall not perish, but have eternal life".
Again I thank you and understand your concern. I have always believed that Jesus is my salvation. It is good to hear others views. My point is this if it weren't for this Pope we would not be having this conversation. That is what makes him great in my opinion, he got me thinking and us talking.
wow

United States

#9 Sep 21, 2013
And I agree with you 100%. Because of the pope we had this conversation and I hope and pray that it is because of this conversation it may educate just one person and get them believing in Christ. Everything happens for a reason. :)
just me

United States

#10 Sep 21, 2013
wow wrote:
And I agree with you 100%. Because of the pope we had this conversation and I hope and pray that it is because of this conversation it may educate just one person and get them believing in Christ. Everything happens for a reason.:)
It most certainly does.
Unbelievable

Palos Heights, IL

#11 Sep 21, 2013
So what all of you are saying is that unless you believe in Jesus you will not get to heaven? That means all followers of Islam Hinduism Buddhism Taoism Confucianism Shinto Sikhism Judaism and all the other religions of the world will not go to heaven. Even if they are good people?
I worked with a Muslim years ago and they also believe that you will not go to heaven unless you believe in Islam. I asked him if Mother Theresa is in hell and he answered Yes! You people are as ignorant as he is.
wow

Alsip, IL

#12 Sep 21, 2013
Unbelievable wrote:
So what all of you are saying is that unless you believe in Jesus you will not get to heaven? That means all followers of Islam Hinduism Buddhism Taoism Confucianism Shinto Sikhism Judaism and all the other religions of the world will not go to heaven. Even if they are good people?
I worked with a Muslim years ago and they also believe that you will not go to heaven unless you believe in Islam. I asked him if Mother Theresa is in hell and he answered Yes! You people are as ignorant as he is.
According to the Bible, Jesus Christ, the son of God, is the only path to heaven. He paid the debt of all our sins by dying on the cross. That is the gift that God gave EVERYONE! To accept that gift, and accept Christ into your heart, will give you everlasting life, with him in heaven. To not accept that gift, is to reject Christ. Rejecting Christ, you fail to be washed of your sin, thus, not allowing you into heaven. You see, it's not that God sends people to hell if you don't believe in Christ... God wants EVERYONE to be with him in heaven, but sin cannot exist in Heaven, so in order for people to get to heaven, they must be righteous. God sent Christ to pay the debt owed by our sins, in the hope that people would accept that and be allowed in heaven. I don't push anything on anyone. I don't judge people based on their beliefs. I certainly don't think I'm better then anyone, because I know I'm a sinner, like we all are, however I do Love God and like God, I don't ever want someone to be denied the opportunity to accept The Lord and be saved. I do hope that you think about that.
wow

Alsip, IL

#13 Sep 21, 2013
Unbelievable wrote:
The other thing... When it comes to being a "good person", it's not based on what we think is a good person. The bible says if you commit one sin, it's the same as committing ALL of them, and since we ALL are sinners and fall short of righteousness, none of us are "good people". Even the pope himself is a sinner, by God's definition, which is why we ALL need Christ.
Unbelievable

Palos Heights, IL

#14 Sep 21, 2013
So if there is a person as good as Mother Theresa. Does exactly the same things Mother Theresa has done. But does not believe in Jesus. That person will not got to heaven!
wow

Alsip, IL

#15 Sep 22, 2013
Unbelievable wrote:
So if there is a person as good as Mother Theresa. Does exactly the same things Mother Theresa has done. But does not believe in Jesus. That person will not got to heaven!
According to the Bible, yes. The reason, is because God created man to be sinless and righteous, like God is, but God also gave man free will. Well when Adam and Eve took the forbidden fruit, that sealed the deal for all of man. That allowed sin into their hearts, and since then, sin is in everyone's heart. As small as the sin may be, it's there. I'm not saying Mother Teresa was a bad person, certainly not, but she was not perfect. Jesus Christ was the ONLY righteous, sinless, perfect man.
There have been people that have been very close to the mark of righteousness, but everyone of us falls short and that's ok. Because our savior Jesus Christ came and paid the price for our sin. All you need to do is believe in him and repent of your sin, and you will be accepted into the kingdom of heaven.:)
Unbelievable

Palos Heights, IL

#16 Sep 22, 2013
That means all the people who lived before Jesus are in hell. Including Abraham, Moses, and Joseph, Jesus' human father and Mary his mother.
You ARE sick.
wow

Alsip, IL

#17 Sep 22, 2013
Unbelievable wrote:
That means all the people who lived before Jesus are in hell. Including Abraham, Moses, and Joseph, Jesus' human father and Mary his mother.
You ARE sick.
First of all Jesus' Mother and human father didn't die before Jesus. They were there when he died on the cross, but to answer your question, before Christ came, you had to follow the Ten Commandments and when you sinned, you had to perform sacrifices and other things. Everyone that died went to Hades, but Hades had two halves, one was Torment (Hell) and the other was Paradise. When people that obeyed God, died, they went to the paradise side of Hades, those that didn't went to the torment side. When Christ died, he went to Hades and brought everyone that was in Paradise, to Heaven with him. The rest remain in Torment. So, Moses and Abraham did eventually go to heaven, but had to wait for Christ, in Paradise.

I had a long period in my life, where I was not a believer and thought people who talk like I do now, where a bit crazy. I understand your skepticism. I'm not being condescending; I am just trying to make you think about all this. It may sound very trivial or even meaningless to you, but this life is very short and can be taken away at ANY MOMENT! I would hate for someone to go to Hell when they have an opportunity to be saved.
Unbelievable

Palos Heights, IL

#18 Sep 22, 2013
Joseph was not at the cross. He Died while Jesus was a teenager. Look it up and learn something.
What you are saying is that God showed mercy to all who died before Jesus but said to hell with everyone else who lived after Jesus but did not believe. 1/3 of the world believes in Jesus so 2/3 of the world will go to hell. Talk about an unmerciful God.
And what about those who never heard of Jesus???
wow

Alsip, IL

#19 Sep 22, 2013
Unbelievable wrote:
Joseph was not at the cross. He Died while Jesus was a teenager. Look it up and learn something.
What you are saying is that God showed mercy to all who died before Jesus but said to hell with everyone else who lived after Jesus but did not believe. 1/3 of the world believes in Jesus so 2/3 of the world will go to hell. Talk about an unmerciful God.
And what about those who never heard of Jesus???
Ok, I stand corrected about Joseph. My mistake. See, I'm not perfect, nor do I claim to be. As far as God being unmerciful, that's the misconception. God doesn't SEND anyone to hell. God allows everyone to make their own decision. God is JUST! He is the ultimate judge. For example, think of a judge in our judicial system... To be a GOOD judge, he must follow the law and not make exceptions for his own feelings. He must follow the law. If a judges "friend" broke the law, you would expect a good judge to subject his friend to the law just as he would a stranger, no matter how upsetting it would be to that judge. Now think of God. God, is the epitome of righteousness. He cannot even be in the presence of sin. Sin CANNOT exist in heaven, therefore sinners cannot be in heaven. It's not that God says "Go to hell!!" Go says "Come to heaven, but you can't be here if you're a sinner" so God being extremely MERCIFUL, sent his own son, Jesus Christ! Jesus WAS sinless! Jesus never sinned and yet was beaten, torchered, and nailed to a cross and left to die a horrific death. That is how much God loves you! Can you imagine loving something so much that you would be willing to sacrifice your own child for it.

Everyone, at some point in there life, is given the truth about salvation and can either accept or reject it. Only God knows who has and who has not had the opportunity yet. I imagine that if they have not yet had the opportunity, then they would be in Heaven. For example, small children... Obviously an infant cannot make a decision like that, so there is an "age of accountability", I believe it is around the age of 12 or so.
But I'm not God. I do not know everything, and I know that I don't need to know everything. I know The Lord and I know what I am supposed to do and I know I will be with him in Heaven one day. I hope you will be there too
Unbelievable

Palos Heights, IL

#20 Sep 22, 2013
Now we are getting to the nitty gritty. If God will let people who never heard of Jesus and small children than why not that good "Mother Theresa" like person. I like you do not know everything, but I would hope God has enough mercy to let people in who tried to lead a good life. You like to quote the bible, but what you do not understand is, God did not write the bible. Man wrote the bible. And most of what is written in the New Testament was written many many years after Jesus was gone. Jesus did not start a new religion. He was a Jew and a Rabbi. He was trying to fix his own religion. Man started a new religion. Like the old saying goes. If Jesus were to come back he would not be a Christian.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dolton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crumbling BIIP 20 min How It Works 57
Removed Why? For being TRUE? 1 hr MikeOnLawndale 1
Dumbingo's Boyfriend! 10 hr Youdo 23
UnRest in Blue Island 18 hr More BIIP Failure 19
Free Chicago Southland Outdoor Summer Concerts ... 22 hr zephyrgarten 1
alsip election 2015 - alsip loses 23 hr Lamon Lemon 5
Solve the Robbie Silva Case (Dec '12) Sat Justice for Robbie 130
More from around the web

Dolton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE