walking police patrol

walking police patrol

Posted in the Dolton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 10

Midlothian, IL

#1 May 7, 2013
On a positive note; I was happy to see two BIPD officers walking patrol up on the north side of Blue Island yesterday. I hope this expands to all the neighborhoods this summer.
here we go

New Lenox, IL

#2 May 7, 2013
Neighborhood parent wrote:
On a positive note; I was happy to see two BIPD officers walking patrol up on the north side of Blue Island yesterday. I hope this expands to all the neighborhoods this summer.
Ok, Mike...
BTW

United States

#3 May 7, 2013
Neighborhood parent wrote:
On a positive note; I was happy to see two BIPD officers walking patrol up on the north side of Blue Island yesterday. I hope this expands to all the neighborhoods this summer.
Walking around a residential neighborhood means when a hot call goes out...instead of riding in that direction to assist, you're running to your car, getting it started, THEN heading in that direction. If the offender was in a car and going the opposite direction...buh bye bad guy! He'll be outta BI by the time you get there. These are just things they don't teach you in PC Police Strategy Class (i.e. media sound bytes and press releases).
Lol

United States

#4 May 7, 2013
From the looks of most of them, I can't see them running for much of anything.
SSMCTF

Chicago, IL

#5 May 7, 2013
BTW wrote:
<quoted text>
Walking around a residential neighborhood means when a hot call goes out...instead of riding in that direction to assist, you're running to your car, getting it started, THEN heading in that direction. If the offender was in a car and going the opposite direction...buh bye bad guy! He'll be outta BI by the time you get there. These are just things they don't teach you in PC Police Strategy Class (i.e. media sound bytes and press releases).
Police work is not a strength that has been developed. The South Suburban Major Crime Task Foce is routinely called.
Greg 121

Chicago, IL

#6 May 8, 2013
Having the officers walk the beat allows then to do somthing they can't do riding around in a vehicle. Get to know the residents, and neighborhood. And the residents get to to meet officers. A great program glad to see it return.! As far response times THEY ARE NOT THE ONLY OFFICERS PATROLING........HELLO !
The Optimist

Elmhurst, IL

#7 May 8, 2013
BTW wrote:
<quoted text>
Walking around a residential neighborhood means when a hot call goes out...instead of riding in that direction to assist, you're running to your car, getting it started, THEN heading in that direction. If the offender was in a car and going the opposite direction...buh bye bad guy! He'll be outta BI by the time you get there. These are just things they don't teach you in PC Police Strategy Class (i.e. media sound bytes and press releases).
The officers walking the beat do not have cars they have radios. You stupid Sob.
BTW

Chicago, IL

#8 May 8, 2013
The Optimist wrote:
<quoted text>The officers walking the beat do not have cars they have radios. You stupid Sob.
I'm a stupid SOB? I worked for a PD where we had two foot patrol beats. Everyday we DROVE to those beats and parked. We walked in short distances from where we parked, usually only within 2 blocks in either direction from the car. If a hot call came out somewhere in that beat we DROVE to the call. We had radios and we had CARS. Think everybody does it the same do you? smh
BTW

Chicago, IL

#9 May 8, 2013
SSMCTF wrote:
<quoted text>
Police work is not a strength that has been developed. The South Suburban Major Crime Task Foce is routinely called.
I don't understand what you're trying to say. I'm talking about neighborhood patrols not SSMCTF call outs. It's not a point of contention I just really am not sure what point you're trying to convey to me.
BTW

Chicago, IL

#10 May 8, 2013
Greg 121 wrote:
Having the officers walk the beat allows then to do somthing they can't do riding around in a vehicle. Get to know the residents, and neighborhood. And the residents get to to meet officers. A great program glad to see it return.! As far response times THEY ARE NOT THE ONLY OFFICERS PATROLING........HELLO !
I don't know exactly what I said to upset some of you guys..I really don't but I'll explain myself. I have worked a walking beat and I have worked a patrol beat. In both cases, we got out and went to businesses, schools... knew residents/business owners and the neighborhood. So from my personal work experience, it doesn't go far for people to tell me that you cannot do those things unless you only walk a beat. Foot officers do have to respond to calls as well. In the walking beat we split up the beat into sections. We moved the car throughout the shift across sections and did foot patrol within that area. That allowed us to have visibility across the entire beat without being too far away from our car if we needed it. There were times where calls went out and we were the closest to the call but due to being on foot it took longer to get there. This was especially true for fights when everyone split up and took off in different directions. On patrol we got out and went to businesses especially when there were reoccurring problems in their area. We also regularly were at schools and the library so again...some of you guys aren't feeling me but I did exactly what you're saying isn't/can't be done both in walking beats and out of walking beats. It's not rocket science. Either the officer wants to get out of the car or doesn't. Either the department makes him or doesn't. They wanted us out of the car and talking and hand shaking so we did.
Just a ruse

United States

#11 May 8, 2013
I'm not sure where you walked a beat, but I'm pretty sure these guys are auxiliary and aren't even allowed to drive cars or answer calls. They're just there to give an appearance of police being out there. The best they are is people walking around looking for crime to call the regular officers.
BTW

Chicago, IL

#12 May 8, 2013
Just a ruse wrote:
I'm not sure where you walked a beat, but I'm pretty sure these guys are auxiliary and aren't even allowed to drive cars or answer calls. They're just there to give an appearance of police being out there. The best they are is people walking around looking for crime to call the regular officers.
Gotcha..that would explain the testy attitude. It's crazy when guys jump on you like they know something about a field that obviously they are lacking experience in.
Fooled again

Blue Island, IL

#13 May 8, 2013
The Optimist wrote:
<quoted text>The officers walking the beat do not have cars they have radios. You stupid Sob.
They are the eyes and ears and their only responsibilities should be to RADIO for a "certified" officer.
Good Police Work Needed

Chicago, IL

#14 May 8, 2013
BTW wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand what you're trying to say. I'm talking about neighborhood patrols not SSMCTF call outs. It's not a point of contention I just really am not sure what point you're trying to convey to me.
Has anyone or you seen any good police work?
wrong shift

Midlothian, IL

#15 May 8, 2013
Thorton's robbed 5/7/13 at 11:30 p.m. send the flat foot up there, seems that they only walk the taco stands and nail , hair salons.
Too late

New Lenox, IL

#16 May 9, 2013
wrong shift wrote:
Thorton's robbed 5/7/13 at 11:30 p.m. send the flat foot up there, seems that they only walk the taco stands and nail , hair salons.
I dont think they're out that late.
Blue Island man charged

Chicago, IL

#17 May 11, 2013
http://www.wlsam.com/common/page.php...

89 WLS - Blue Island man charged with child pornography, weapons offenses

Story by 89 WLS Web Writer Kim Rasmussen
(CHICAGO) A 56-year-old south suburban man has been charged with multiple counts of child pornography and weapons offenses.
The charges came after Kirk Watson's Blue Island home was searched as part of an investigation by the Cook County State's Attorney's Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force.
He was arrested by the Blue Island Police Department Thursday and appeared in bond court Friday, where bond was set at $250,000 by Judge James Rhodes.
Watson was priorly convicted for aggrivated criminal sexual assault and has been charged with two counts of child pornography and two counts of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon by a felon.
According to prosecutors, an investigation of individuals searching for and downloading suspected child pornography led officers to Watson.
Officers recovered four desktop computers, a laptop and several DVDs from Watson's home. A forensic analysis of the laptop revealed numerous files containing depictions of child pornography.
Investigators also discovered a .22-caliber revolver with 200 live rounds of ammunition as well as 10 live rounds of .45-caliber ammunition in Watson's home.
Watson's next court date is May 31.
Island Blues

Chicago, IL

#18 May 14, 2013
Blue Island man charged wrote:
http://www.wlsam.com/common/page.php...
89 WLS - Blue Island man charged with child pornography, weapons offenses
Story by 89 WLS Web Writer Kim Rasmussen
(CHICAGO) A 56-year-old south suburban man has been charged with multiple counts of child pornography and weapons offenses.
The charges came after Kirk Watson's Blue Island home was searched as part of an investigation by the Cook County State's Attorney's Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force.
He was arrested by the Blue Island Police Department Thursday and appeared in bond court Friday, where bond was set at $250,000 by Judge James Rhodes.
Watson was priorly convicted for aggrivated criminal sexual assault and has been charged with two counts of child pornography and two counts of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon by a felon.
According to prosecutors, an investigation of individuals searching for and downloading suspected child pornography led officers to Watson.
Officers recovered four desktop computers, a laptop and several DVDs from Watson's home. A forensic analysis of the laptop revealed numerous files containing depictions of child pornography.
Investigators also discovered a .22-caliber revolver with 200 live rounds of ammunition as well as 10 live rounds of .45-caliber ammunition in Watson's home.
Watson's next court date is May 31.
Good Forensic Police training would elevate the lagging department.
BILib

Chicago, IL

#19 May 14, 2013
Such disrespect for the folks who protect us. I don't see any of you commenters volunteering (or applying) for the job. When I've had need of police the response has been prompt, courteous, and effective. Keep your negative, hateful opinions to yourselves, troll to troll.
Fatso

Decatur, GA

#20 May 14, 2013
When was that last time the police chief was under 300lbs?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dolton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Seretse Robinson and Leon Robinson murder in Ch... 1 hr woulfie5758 1
property taxes and theives (Nov '09) 1 hr Illinios policy 86
Blue Island Gravy Train 3 hr Happy Holidays 25
wondering (Mar '17) 7 hr Who cares 7
B.I. has part time mayor 17 hr Times Up 57
Woman hit by Train 19 hr CSpencer 2
Midlothian police Mon Trumbull 50

Dolton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dolton Mortgages