St. Christopher School

Posted in the Dolton Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Midlothian Info

Midlothian, IL

#1 Jan 9, 2014
St. Christopher School to close in June of this year. The village continues to decline at a rapid rate!
Not Good

Midlothian, IL

#2 Jan 9, 2014
I agree this is a death sentence for this town. There are a lot of good people at that school.
Really

Midlothian, IL

#3 Jan 9, 2014
I seen this coming when St.Stans closed.
Fran

Tinley Park, IL

#4 Jan 9, 2014
They were supposed to close a few years back. Is it really happening this time?
Not Good

Midlothian, IL

#5 Jan 9, 2014
Unless someone comes up with a lot of money yes. I believe the amount is $300,000.
IBelieveInMidlo

Midlothian, IL

#6 Jan 9, 2014
Yes our school is closing down but we as St.Chris parents are not giving up !!! So please help us keep this school open. Let's not be negative about this in this post let's get together as a community and help this school stay open .
Not Good

Midlothian, IL

#7 Jan 9, 2014
I agree 100%. If there is something to do as a community let's do it. There are a lot of great kids at that school and a lot of active families.
Southside1968

Tinley Park, IL

#8 Jan 9, 2014
Are there any fundraisers/ upcoming events? Would like to donate. Just curious but why are they having such a hard time staying open? Our relatives attended and there have been closing rumors almost every year
MidloResident

Midlothian, IL

#9 Jan 9, 2014
Wow, not good.
IBelieveInMidlo

Midlothian, IL

#10 Jan 9, 2014
A lot of great kids and great teachers and staff !!! We will have more information as the parents will get together to discuss what we can do ! Please look out for any upcoming fundraising post for st. Chris.
Not Good

Midlothian, IL

#11 Jan 9, 2014
Enrollment wasn't high enough. It started getting better this year and I have no doubt it was only going to get better with time. As of now, I don't know of any fundraising. I would recommend maybe calling the school or church itself to inquire. I know there are a lot of families who would be greatful to have the school remain open. To the families that attend there the school is home & an extension of family. That's the one thing people don't realize it's a family.
Incarnation Grad

Tinley Park, IL

#12 Jan 9, 2014
Sad to see this. Always enjoyed playing St.Chris in basketball you were our biggest rivals but always a good atmosphere. Don't give up hope!
Not Good

Midlothian, IL

#13 Jan 9, 2014
I wonder if St. Chris can run the school without the Archdioces like Noonan Academy in Mokena.
Mike

Tinley Park, IL

#14 Jan 10, 2014
Sorry to hear about the school. Is the church next to go?
Not Good

Midlothian, IL

#15 Jan 10, 2014
Let's brain storm & keep this school open. It's too important to let go.
unreal

Chicago, IL

#16 Jan 10, 2014
Terry wouldn't have let this happen....going to get some popcorn
ALittleHistory

Amsterdam, Netherlands

#17 Jan 10, 2014
The last time St. Chris was looking for money to stay open mayor Strancik ponied up about $250K to cover business manager Nelson and company's malfeasance. I always wondered if this donation got him any leniency with the state's attorney? Chester was involved in a water scandal at the time, poisoning the citizens on a more personal level. Last I heard Chester is playing "Joey the Clown Lombardo" down in Fla. Maybe Sopka over in OF could donate $300k to St. Chris and then he can move to Fla. with Chester.

If St. Chris does close it would certainly be a sad turning point for Midlothian.

Apparently Cardinal George hasn't heard Pope Francis's message about serving those less fortunate. Tell me again why he has to live in such opulence...
Not Good

Midlothian, IL

#18 Jan 10, 2014
Please flood the Mayor with calls. We have to stop this.
Justabigkid

Matteson, IL

#19 Jan 10, 2014
I am sorry to see St. Chris close but there are other options for the children of Midlothian to obtain a Catholic school education. I live right down the street from St Chris but send my daughter to St George in Tinley Park. I did this because I knew a couple of teachers from other catholic schools and they said to stay away from schools run by the Archdiocese.
Bob Habel

Chicago, IL

#20 Jan 10, 2014
Not Good wrote:
I wonder if St. Chris can run the school without the Archdioces like Noonan Academy in Mokena.
That is our only possible solution going forward. The Archdiocese told us last night that they will no longer support us with a $300,000/yr subsidy. We can continue operating as long as we can submit a plan closing this yearly deficit. However, the Archidiocese gave us a very difficult task as we only have until January 30th to submit this plan which has to be funded.

The amount of vocal support we have received from St. Chris Parents, Alumni, Faculty Parishoners, and the community has been tremendous. Fundraisers suggested are excellent ideas and will need to be a large part of any plan going forward. But we were only given 20 days for a funded solution. Unfortunately it gives very little time to fundraise and we need to continue to explore alternative ideas.

We have a large group committed to exhausting every last resource to keep this school going. Please continue to offer up any thoughts/suggestions as every possible solution needs to be considered at this point.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dolton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Open Meeting Violation BI Park 1 hr Correction 3
Open Letter to All Veteran's 2 hr Vray sad realy 10
Solve the Robbie Silva Case (Dec '12) 2 hr The Unthinking CA... 173
library discontent 5 hr BARRY O 3
Very Interesting 5 hr funny 2
Thunder over Midlothian 9 hr a joke 12
Blue Island Park District Woes 14 hr Life Changing 21

Dolton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance