Making car last will put you on the r...

Making car last will put you on the road to savings

There are 8 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 27, 2007, titled Making car last will put you on the road to savings. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

M y first car, a 9-year-old Ford I bought before my junior year in college, lasted me the two years I needed it to hold a part-time job until graduation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

David Lawn

Bremen, Germany

#1 Oct 27, 2007
Thank you. I heard from Eindhoven (Holland) taxi drivers that their Mercedes 200 would do 1 or more million kilometers (divide by 1.6 for miles). Mine has 200 000 and I'll believe you and do another year at least before buying again.
Vicki

Chicago, IL

#2 Oct 28, 2007
I own a 94 BMW convertible with 226,000 miles and the original clutch. I change the oil religiously every 3000 miles and she still purrs.
retiree

Addison, IL

#3 Oct 28, 2007
We own our cars for roughly ten years and around 125,000 miles per car before purchasing new ones.

A mechanic once told us that we would average about $100 per month in maintenance costs during the amount of time we owned each car, including basic maintenance such as LOFs and new tires. We have found that our maintenance costs are significantly lower than that estimate.

We have owned our oldest car for 22 years. Thus far, we have spent a little over $5,300 in maintenance costs, about $20 per month. The blue book value of the car is now $800.

Unfortunately, we have now reached a point with this car where a repair issue we now face may not be repairable. This would make selling the car, even when we have to, next to impossible. We may not even be able to donate the car to a charity.

We like keeping cars for ten years. It seems to take the auto makers that long just to make changes that make purchasing newer model cars worthwhile.
Jim from FWA

Fort Wayne, IN

#4 Oct 28, 2007
Pretty basic stuff...
William Fook yu

Canada

#5 Dec 6, 2007
me do not like this site.
William Fook yu

Canada

#6 Dec 6, 2007
there are no picture so boring me and me will never back to site here. If i were you i would leave
Simon Says

Downers Grove, IL

#7 Dec 6, 2007
Can we just have a section of the paper called 'DUH'. That way when I get my paper in the morning I can just give that section to my 18 year old common sense challenged son?
eric

Marshfield, WI

#8 Dec 6, 2007
LOL good one Simon Says, i take it he lacks in that catagory

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodgeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Gay Marriage - Dodgeville, WI (Jan '12) May '15 Anon 3
Review: Bigler Cleaning Services (Jan '15) Jan '15 Dave 1
News Life of pie (Feb '08) Nov '14 almadenmike 9
One Mans walk a thon. (Jun '09) Sep '14 Hardthens 2
News Verona-Cedar Grove Engagement Announcement: Gen... (Dec '13) Jul '14 Jaimie 3
Debate: Immigration - Mineral Point, WI (May '10) Apr '14 ChuckieCheese 9
Debate: Obama-Economy - Mineral Point, WI (Jun '12) Apr '14 James 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dodgeville Mortgages