Dobson Man Dies in Fall From Cliff at Va. Resort

There are 15 comments on the Fox 8 WGHP story from Apr 16, 2010, titled Dobson Man Dies in Fall From Cliff at Va. Resort. In it, Fox 8 WGHP reports that:

Police say a North Carolina man who fell 80 feet off a cliff at a Virginia resort apparently lost his footing while preparing to have his photograph taken.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 8 WGHP.

Jenny

Charlotte, NC

#1 Apr 16, 2010
I hope it was that idiot opec.
Charley

Winston Salem, NC

#2 Apr 16, 2010
Idiot opec? This man was someones father, grandfather, uncle, and husband you fool. Hoe rude! Fox8, please double check and verify the name of the deceased.
rian

New York, NY

#3 Apr 16, 2010
Jenny wrote:
I hope it was that idiot opec.
Have some respect. What if your grandfather was an "idiot" or your father, Prayers go out to whomever it was
FOX 8 VIEWER

Salisbury, NC

#4 Apr 16, 2010
Fred McKinley Sidden is the gentleman's name accoring to the article in the Martinsville Bulletin.
Agree

Mocksville, NC

#5 Apr 16, 2010
Charley wrote:
Idiot opec? This man was someones father, grandfather, uncle, and husband you fool.**** rude! Fox8, please double check and verify the name of the deceased.
Charley,

Jennifer is missing several bricks out of her stack, you need to look at her comments on the five year old giving his eight year old brother oral sex on a school bus in Charlotte on the Fox8 Forum. She also claims to have a brother who is a lawyer. May be he will tell her to lighten up and/or go for mental health counseling if she asks his advice.

Agree
Stephen Winks

Richmond, VA

#6 Apr 16, 2010
Fred Mckinley Sidden was my uncle, a very able man of great character who enjoys the respect of a great many and spent his last day on a holiday in the company of his loving children and grand children sharing the wonderful bucolic beauty of North Carolina.

SCW
firedad

Kernersville, NC

#7 Apr 16, 2010
There are guard rails in place for a reason. It's unfortunate, but the man was clearly at fault.
Charley

Winston Salem, NC

#8 Apr 16, 2010
Fred was also a member of my family, extendedly, and fault is not the question, nor should be the point of this tragedy. The only point should be that he was a wonderful man who had lived a long and full life, and as Stephen said, spent his last day among his children and grandchildren, and in a place that he loved dearly. There is no need to point fingers or lay blame firedad. This is an unfortunate tragedy that happened, and that is that. Instead of laying the blame, just let the family celebrate in his life.
ddc

Benson, NC

#9 Apr 17, 2010
I am also a family member and it was a horrific tragedy that I hope no one else ever has to experience.
As a family, we choose to celebrate what a wonderful man he was and what a great life he had.
Those who choose to make heartless, thoughtless comments because of the anonymity of the internet should be truly ashamed of themselves.
Jenny

Charlotte, NC

#10 Apr 17, 2010
Agree wrote:
<quoted text>
Charley,
Jennifer is missing several bricks out of her stack, you need to look at her comments on the five year old giving his eight year old brother oral sex on a school bus in Charlotte on the Fox8 Forum. She also claims to have a brother who is a lawyer. May be he will tell her to lighten up and/or go for mental health counseling if she asks his advice.
Agree
opec is a regular poster on this board from Dobson. He is an idiot and very opionated. If you do not agree with him then he bullies you. That is why, I posted my comment. So all of you can kiss my a^^
Charley

Winston Salem, NC

#11 Apr 17, 2010
I can almost guarantee you Fred was not your poster opec. He was an 82 year old calm and soft spoken man. I don't think I have ever heard him speak a cross word. Make sure you are clear next time Jenny when you are referring to a regular poster, before it offends friends and family, especially of a deceased person.
Terri

Winston Salem, NC

#12 Apr 18, 2010
Thanks to several of you posters who apparently have some compassion for a family's great loss. This man is my father. The news account of what happened is not even accurate about how he fell. He was not standing on a ledge. But yes, he was trying to get to a spot for a great view that he shouldn't have been trying to get to at his age.

We love him very much and will miss him greatly. However those of us who know him well know that he died happy. He was having a great day. We are not particularly surprised that he fell off something as he was often on roofs, in trees, or walking on mountain trails and places that made us nervous.

For those of you who like to make judgment on a man you never knew. Think about what you say. As you judge so you may be judged one day. I only hope for you that you can have as long and wonderful life as my father had. That you are able to climb mountains when you are 82. And that you die as quickly and happily as he did.
Terri

Winston Salem, NC

#13 Apr 18, 2010
Jenny wrote:
<quoted text>opec is a regular poster on this board from Dobson. He is an idiot and very opionated. If you do not agree with him then he bullies you. That is why, I posted my comment. So all of you can kiss my a^^
Jenny, just because you don't agree with someone don't assume they are an idiot. Your comment was hurtful to me and I am sure to opec, whoever he is. He is also someone's beloved family member as I am sure you are too. And when either of you die there will be loved ones mourning who do not need to read or hear such nasty comments.
Agree

Mocksville, NC

#14 Apr 18, 2010
Charley, Terri, and family

We apologize for Jennifer Russell's two comments on this blog, the last one was just as off base as the first one. She claims to have two degrees, one from Clemson University and one for UNC Chapel Hill. But has not enough common sense and decency to come in out of the rain.

You have my sympathy on the passing of a good man. Who left behind a legacy of friends and family to cherish pleasant memories of him including his last day on earth. Not many of us are so lucky.

Agree
Jenny R

Mocksville, NC

#15 Apr 18, 2010
He lost his foot?? How'd his foot come off?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dobson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chatham Woods Senior Apts: A Nightmare On Elm S... 18 hr Tarnished 10
News Surry County's most wanted (Aug '08) May 3 melissabvrly 12
Local Politics Do you approve of Paul Johnson as Commissioner? (Apr '12) Apr 26 Summer Resident 4
Debate: Gay Marriage - Dobson, NC (Apr '12) Apr 13 greg 9
Video gambling operation raided Apr 8 charlotte 1
News Arrests made in shooting, additional suspect wa... Apr '15 Anonymous 2
Childs Roadside Memorial Mar '15 Shane 1
More from around the web

Dobson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]