First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Concerned Parent

Princeton, KY

#1 Apr 12, 2012
Can I ask why Webster Co Schools is ran by asocial morons that can't manage money, and obviously do not put children at the top of their priority list? Slaughters Elementary will be closed, the high school will be turned into a 7-12 school, and they will be going back to a 5-day school week. Didn't they go 4 days to save $400,000 a year? Are they going to lose $400,000 a year going back to 5 day? They are fools, led by fools, who elect fools, that hire fools, that make these foolish decisions!!! Why won't the right people stand up (that's a challenge!!!!)
wwwhhhhaaatt

Morganfield, KY

#2 Apr 12, 2012
omg, if thats the case im moving schools. i said the exact samething about the 5 day weeks!
imo

Belton, KY

#3 Apr 12, 2012
Concerned Parent wrote:
Can I ask why Webster Co Schools is ran by asocial morons that can't manage money, and obviously do not put children at the top of their priority list? Slaughters Elementary will be closed, the high school will be turned into a 7-12 school, and they will be going back to a 5-day school week. Didn't they go 4 days to save $400,000 a year? Are they going to lose $400,000 a year going back to 5 day? They are fools, led by fools, who elect fools, that hire fools, that make these foolish decisions!!! Why won't the right people stand up (that's a challenge!!!!)
pros & cons to five day week. Lots of unsupervised kids running around on Monday's while parents work. I wouldn't mind if go back full time. And it's foolish to call people fools when u don't know the whole story.
Mandate 4 day weeks

Washington, DC

#4 Apr 13, 2012
1. Student dropout rates decline
2. Student disciplinary referrals decrease
3. Student achievement is not negatively impacted and may actually increase
4. Student and teacher attendance improves which increases revenues and reduces costs
5. Students and teachers benefit from less interrupted class time as a result of longer class periods and fewer transitions at all grade levels. This increases the efficiency of instruction
6. Students and teachers share more positive attitudes about school. Consequently, there is a marked improvement in school morale
7. School faculty has more time for quality staff development (often the day off is used for this purpose)
8. There is more time for participation in extracurricular activities and for personal business, such as doctor appointments
9. Has significant savings on utility bills, substitute teacher pay, school buses, and building wear and tear
10. Can make up school days missed due to inclement weather on what would have been the fifth school day instead of at the end of the school year
11. Experiences fewer distractions; learning is less broken up by athletic events or other school activities
JMLM

United States

#5 Apr 13, 2012
I love the four day week. Parents already know about the four day week and should already have supervision set up for their children while they work. My kids enjoy school more knowing it is a four day week.
Parent of 3

Washington, DC

#6 Apr 14, 2012
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen" Churchill
Parents we have listened now it is time to speak up we own these schools. Keep our 4 day week and our quality teachers! Rally together it's now or never. One of the reasons we moved to Dixon was because it's a small town and has small class sizes with great teachers for our children!
Say NO to teacher layoffs! Say NO to larger class sizes! Say NO to cuts in education service delivery! As a parent, I'm concerned about how these budget will affect educational outcomes.
The fight that we’re fighting is for our children; the investment we’re making is for our children. To the degree that we can stand together and stick together, we can win.
floppy

Morganfield, KY

#7 Apr 14, 2012
Parent of 3 wrote:
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen" Churchill
Parents we have listened now it is time to speak up we own these schools. Keep our 4 day week and our quality teachers! Rally together it's now or never. One of the reasons we moved to Dixon was because it's a small town and has small class sizes with great teachers for our children!
Say NO to teacher layoffs! Say NO to larger class sizes! Say NO to cuts in education service delivery! As a parent, I'm concerned about how these budget will affect educational outcomes.
The fight that we’re fighting is for our children; the investment we’re making is for our children. To the degree that we can stand together and stick together, we can win.
Courage is giving your name.
Trooper

Manito, IL

#8 Apr 14, 2012
Parent of 3 wrote:
This fight needs to be taken to our state representatives and governor because this is out of Webster County's hands. I've written my first letter. I plan to start with one a week and will increase as more bad news comes down.
No 5 day weeks

Washington, DC

#9 Apr 14, 2012
During its first year, the four-day schedule saved Webster County schools more than $250,000, according to Kemp. That figure is expected to grow this year to more than $300,000. In addition to savings from fuel costs, the district spends less money to heat and cool school buildings, and hire substitute teachers. In addition to saving money, Kemp touts other benefits of the four-day school week, including higher attendance, increased morale and better performance on state achievement tests. Before the four- day school week, Webster County ranked 115th among Kentucky’s 174 districts on state test scores. The next year, the district improved to 61st. Kemp credits the calendar changes as one factor for Webster County's improvement. From http://www.csg.org/knowledgecenter/docs/sn081...
No 5 day weeks

Washington, DC

#10 Apr 14, 2012
Webster Co works well with what KY gives them. Proud of our teachers. Although the main funding formula for K-12 schools wouldn’t be cut, population growth means spending per student would decline. Also, education officials say the current year’s population estimate was low, resulting in a cut of more than $50 million to that funding formula. Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear's budget makes $286 million in cuts, which includes less spending on the Commonwealth's students and schools. Beshear said he had protected K-12 and higher education as long as he could. But next year, basic funding for K-12 students will revert to 2008 levels, while state universities could lose as much as $65 million. Beshear would not cut the K-12 schools' main funding formula, but because there is no new money and more students, spending per student will go down from the planned $3,903 in 2012 to $3,833 in 2013 and $3,827 in 2014. That doesn't count a proposed 4.5 percent cut in 2013 to other educational services, such as family resource centers, extended school services, professional development and technology.
Beshear complimented educators on doing good work, despite nearly 30 percent cuts to some services during the past four years. He cited a recent national study that raised Kentucky's educational ranking from 34th to 14th.
However, those gains will be erased quickly, said Stu Silberman, director of the Prichard Committee for Academic Excellence, which recently joined with other education groups to ask the General Assembly for $323 million to boost basic education funding. Wendell Ford said years ago: Education cuts don't heal.
Supporter

Washington, DC

#11 Apr 15, 2012
Proud of our county for working with the cards that they are given. It is hard to work with declining funding just look across the entire state. I for one am glad that I do not make the decisions. You can never make everyone happy.
Citizen

Mortons Gap, KY

#12 Apr 16, 2012
I disagree with the 7-8 graders going into the high school. That is not a good idea. The only thing about going back to a 5 day school week is that the kids do get a longer summer break and possibly different days off throught the year (I am not sure what the scedule will be like). The first and foremost thing that everyone should be worried about is the education factor this is going to play. The best interest for our kids should be the only thing on the agenda when these people are voting and making changes.
Trooper

Chicago, IL

#13 Apr 16, 2012
Citizen wrote:
I disagree with the 7-8 graders going into the high school. That is not a good idea. The only thing about going back to a 5 day school week is that the kids do get a longer summer break and possibly different days off throught the year (I am not sure what the scedule will be like). The first and foremost thing that everyone should be worried about is the education factor this is going to play. The best interest for our kids should be the only thing on the agenda when these people are voting and making changes.
What I was told is discussion has been made about making the old Math hall and old Library hall middle school classrooms, but this would be considered our middle school, not highschool. I'm sure they'll have a plan to keep them separated. As for the decisions that are voted on, don't you think everyone who has any input or a vote has our children's bet interest at heart? I mean, what else could they be working toward?? They're trying to uphold a village on a tight wire of dental floss....it's got to take some strategic planning and decisions that will not favor all. I hate it for everyone, our children especially. All I can do is continue volunteering and staying involved (our schools need that more than ever) and pray that my kids take what they get from here and better themselves in a prosperous and established community that doesn't have to struggle like we do.
floppy

Clifty, KY

#14 Apr 16, 2012
They need a separate middle school for the simple fact that the students are too old to be treated like little kids and too young to be treated as a teen.

They also should have teachers that were trained to teach students that are middle school age.

A class on morals should be mandatory for both students and teachers. Gossiping and bullying should not be allowed, by student or teacher.
Informed citizen

United States

#15 Apr 16, 2012
In Ky teachers must be highly qualified. If you would check your fact you would find that the current teachers have the proper education specialized in middle school. If they are not highly qualified schools must send a letter so you would be notified if they were not. Check facts before posting such question of teacher qualifications. Very few old K-8 teachers still exist in the state.
Hmmm

Huntingburg, IN

#16 Apr 16, 2012
If you have a question about any educator's creditials, go to EPSB website and you can pull up your childs teachers, principal, librarian,guidance counselor, etc and you can view their licensing. It's called "check educators creditials". Educators creditials are checked by the BOE and all teachers must be highly qualified in the area/grade level they are teaching/supervising.
Vixen

Slaughters, KY

#17 Apr 17, 2012
I agree with this stay at 4 days it is going to be the biggest mess you have ever seen and I agree 7th and 8th should not be at high school because there is too much stuff that goes on in that high school that 7th and 8th graders shouldn't deal with so many cops up there every day over drugs and different stuff the kids doesn't get enough teaching from the teachers as it is and if you have a special needs kid than you really are screwed trust me I know I think they are biting off more than they can chew please keep us inform please if there is meetings on this let us know o.k 7thand8th should be able to enjoy grade school years instead of being pit with high school
floppy

Morganfield, KY

#18 Apr 17, 2012
Actually, it's not the teachers' credentials that I question, but their sense of obligation to treat all students with respect and also their ability to not discriminate.
Vixen

Slaughters, KY

#19 Apr 17, 2012
Bullying plays a big role in Webster county high school and yes the teachers have there picks up there in school and most of the teachers up there are just as bad as some of the students and believe me they do discriminate it is very wrong
whats up

Morganfield, KY

#20 Apr 17, 2012
lets shut slaughters down cuz they have the best test scores in the county way to go teachers and kids see what u get for hard work a shut down school

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
questions about police encounter please give fa... 33 min shazam 2
jessica greer? (Jul '12) 5 hr stupid 28
scotts auto 5 hr Horn dog 7
138 s. 41 who lives there? 15 hr Pray 6
Black jeep pink trouble 20 hr kristina 13
b.m Sun Just wondering 2
people in this town Sun just some guy 3
More from around the web

Dixon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE