Inaccurate credit?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Midlo History Buff

Orland Park, IL

#21 Feb 5, 2014
According to a Blue Island history book published in 1935, Franz Schwartz, grandfather of the 1935 Blue Island city clerk, bought land on Crawford ave. near 147th Street, planning to farm it. In attempting to dig a well, he found that, six or eight feet underground was a solid layer of limestone which was found to be of superior quality for building purposes. Mr. Schwartz scrapped the idea of farming and opened a stone quarry. "Stone from this quarry were used in many of the earlier buildings of (Blue Island) and considerable quantities were also shipped to Chicago by way of the feeder and Illinois & Michigan Canal. The first lighthouse in the South Chicago harbor was built of stone from the Schwartz quarry, being transported there by means of barges on the Calumet River. For several years Schwartz maintained a "stone yard" ... on Vermont Street (in Blue Island).
Really

Midlothian, IL

#22 Feb 5, 2014
When they replaced the bridges between St. Chris and Keystone,you could see the limestone when they were digging.
Midlo History

Lansing, IL

#23 Feb 5, 2014
Midlo History Buff wrote:
According to a Blue Island history book published in 1935, Franz Schwartz, grandfather of the 1935 Blue Island city clerk, bought land on Crawford ave. near 147th Street, planning to farm it. In attempting to dig a well, he found that, six or eight feet underground was a solid layer of limestone which was found to be of superior quality for building purposes. Mr. Schwartz scrapped the idea of farming and opened a stone quarry. "Stone from this quarry were used in many of the earlier buildings of (Blue Island) and considerable quantities were also shipped to Chicago by way of the feeder and Illinois & Michigan Canal. The first lighthouse in the South Chicago harbor was built of stone from the Schwartz quarry, being transported there by means of barges on the Calumet River. For several years Schwartz maintained a "stone yard" ... on Vermont Street (in Blue Island).
I wonder if the Stone Yard could have been right before the Tracks going East on Vermont,St on the North side of the street. When I was a kid, I remember it being a Coal Yard and Stone yard. Name is on the tip of my tongue but can't remember it.
Midlo History Buff

Orland Park, IL

#24 Feb 5, 2014
In that book (Blue Island Historical Review "The First 100 Years") on page 50, the author states that Schwartz "maintained a 'stone yard' in the west half of the block on Vermont street where the Savings and Loan is now located" That's all that is said about that. About when did you see the stone yard?
The book goes on to describe another stone quarry and lime kiln opened at 135th and Claire Blvd in the early 1850's which later produced good quality limestone, which was used to build the First Lutheran Church at Grove and Ann Streets in 1863 in Blue Island at a cost of $2.50 a cord (of limestone).
Midlo History

Lansing, IL

#25 Feb 5, 2014
I want to say the yard was there about the late 50's to early 60's. I think if I'm not mistaken, it became Geo. Roll coal yard.If there was a Quarry at 135th and Kedzie back then, why all the fuss about it now? Do you think that a lot of the Limestone was used to shore up the Cal-Sag Channel or was that dug through the Limestone? Also, any idea when the Cal-Sag was dug and how deep it is?
Really

Midlothian, IL

#26 Feb 5, 2014
Midlo History wrote:
I want to say the yard was there about the late 50's to early 60's. I think if I'm not mistaken, it became Geo. Roll coal yard.If there was a Quarry at 135th and Kedzie back then, why all the fuss about it now? Do you think that a lot of the Limestone was used to shore up the Cal-Sag Channel or was that dug through the Limestone? Also, any idea when the Cal-Sag was dug and how deep it is?
max depth of the canal is 22 feet. There is a nice YouTube video on the history of the Cal Sag.
anonymous

Chicago, IL

#27 Feb 5, 2014
Thanks for the quarry info! Have referenced the Blue Island History book a few times to follow the Stephen Rexford trail. Interesting point of whether or not lime was used from Schwartz/Shedd quarry with the Call Sag Channel, but I haven't seen any trails suggesting Shedd actually operated the quarry.

I thought the Cal Sag was actually worked on twice - once in the early 1800's when they were building the Illinois Michigan Canal and needed water flow and then a second time in the 1920's when they drained the Saganashkee Swamp area that eventually became part of Crestwood in 1928 (where the Howell airport used to be located comes to mind)? Any thoughts?

I do think we're coming up with at least a few individuals who were influential in founding the village: Schwartz, Woerhide, Cummings, Shedd...curious to see what else we come up with!
Midlo History

Lansing, IL

#28 Feb 6, 2014
Really wrote:
<quoted text>max depth of the canal is 22 feet. There is a nice YouTube video on the history of the Cal Sag.
Thanks for the tip on the YouTube video. That was quite interesting.
Really

Midlothian, IL

#29 Feb 6, 2014
Midlo History wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for the tip on the YouTube video. That was quite interesting.
I thought it was quite interesting myself.
anonymous

Chicago, IL

#30 Feb 14, 2014
Found someone who has a scrapbook containing both news clippings and actual letters from both the Village and Bremen Heights that suggests annexation of Bremen Heights properties actually happened in stages that began around 1962. Also, there was an undated letter from President Harry Raday suggesting the last of the wave of petitions happened in October 1964.

Also, seems as though the Park District/Village Board double duty isn't new to the Village either. Apparently Charles E.R. Boye was both Village Clerk and Park District President in the early 1960's.

In addition, found a picture of Ollie Yates (President of Midlothian' s Business Association), President Henry J. Milen and Albert Stolz (Light Committee Chairman) flipping the switch to the newly installed Mercury Vapor lights in the business district just south of 147th on Crawford late February 1956.

Also, found confirmation the Midlothian Lions Club was founded on December 29, 1930.

Lastly, found in the Village Newsletter cited as Volume 1,#3 June 1965 that two trustees (Fred Massat and Leonard Meyer) had a vote of no confidence for the Village Attorney at the time, Elbert F. Elmore, but I couldn't find out if Elmore stayed or not. Anyone know if he stayed or went?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Great new business! 53 min trumbull 13
News Lincoln-Way Board to Weigh Options for Future o... 2 hr Olga 97
Oak Fest 15 5 hr dude 5
District 228 Athletic Directors 5 hr Coach Joebie 3
Edward Moody (Jul '12) 6 hr MovdtoTexas 97
Bob Rita 28th District Hosts Chicago's 1st homi... (Jan '14) 9 hr low turnout rules 39
july 4 th 2014 parade and fireworks (Jun '13) 21 hr Nutbag 27
More from around the web

Dixmoor People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Dixmoor Mortgages