Jack Hille- the worst school in Oak F...
Hille student

Tinley Park, IL

#42 Jul 31, 2013
As a Hille student I disagree that Hille is a bad school. Yes, some of the students are poorly behaived but, it's not the schools fault it's the parents fault and how they let their children act. Sorry there's not a "How to Behaive" class. Also, the teachers don't just throw work at you and make you memorize it by yourself. They help you try and understand the things you are stuck on. I've had experience. St. Damien and other Oak Forest schools don't exactly have the best behaived children in the world either. Hille isn't all that bad. If your new maybe you should tell your child to speak up to other kids. The other students would be sure to welcome them into their " social groups". Gosh....if all you people have time for is too complain about other kids who don't talk about your kids "Beaiverol issues" then you have problems. Hille is a great school.
State

Forest Park, IL

#43 Aug 6, 2013
Alot of the things you have problems with are coming down from the State. It still isn't right, but that's where it comes from.
Blueeyes is right wrote:
I've subbed at Hillie (and other schools in other districts) and my kid went there too.
The problem is the same all over: No discipline from either the parents outside the school or the teachers/administrators inside the school. The teachers blame the parents and the parents blame the teachers. Both are so busy pointing fingers at each other that a simple problem never gets fixed.
Yes parents are the root of the problem, but regardless of whether parents are doing their jobs at home teachers still have to do theirs while they have the kids in their classrooms. "But but but the parents ... " is just a poor excuse for many teachers and admins to not do their jobs either. If you let kids get away with more and expect less and less, the entire education system will continue to fail these kids.
I had the female principal at Fieldcrest school in the Prairie Hills district tell me that she didn't want kids sent down to her (she didn't want to be inconvenienced with DOING HER JOB). The best part? She told me that in the hall right in front of the two punk kids that she was bringing back to me.
Brilliant! Now could tell the two kids were thinking: "Wait ... we WON'T get sent down if we keep disrupting the class now?"
But about Hillie ...
The teachers there allow kids to get credit for test corrections they turn in after they already mess up the tests!
What do you think that teaches kids about the importance of knowing material for their T-E-S-T-S? That they can just blow the tests off and do something later to make up for it maybe?
Nothing like positively reinforcing negative behavior!
And then there's the "extra credit" to bring grades up because kids blew off the material month after month and now need to quickly do something so they don't get sent home with D's or F's.
I used extra credit as a way to get from a B-plus to an A - not to barely pass with a D.
Again, what do you think this teaches kids about the importance of studying, doing homework, and taking tests on material they're supposed to know to advance to the next grade level?
Again, nothing like positively reinforcing negative behavior!
Here's a simple idea: Make the kids responsible for learning the subject matter or fail them! And you wonder why so many kids need extra courses over the summer to get into high school and then extra courses to get into college now? Because they've been passed right along year after year ... with the aid of post-test corrections and extra credit ... to the next grade level without ever actually learning the material.
seriously

Chicago, IL

#44 Aug 11, 2013
Hille student wrote:
As a Hille student I disagree that Hille is a bad school. Yes, some of the students are poorly behaived but, it's not the schools fault it's the parents fault and how they let their children act. Sorry there's not a "How to Behaive" class. Also, the teachers don't just throw work at you and make you memorize it by yourself. They help you try and understand the things you are stuck on. I've had experience. St. Damien and other Oak Forest schools don't exactly have the best behaived children in the world either. Hille isn't all that bad. If your new maybe you should tell your child to speak up to other kids. The other students would be sure to welcome them into their " social groups". Gosh....if all you people have time for is too complain about other kids who don't talk about your kids "Beaiverol issues" then you have problems. Hille is a great school.
Haha. Either you are a parent pretending to be a student( which I believe is the case)..... Or you are a student which Hille has failed

Either way..... Get a dictionary
Blueeyes33510

Troy, MI

#45 Dec 12, 2013
Oak Forest forever wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you basing this on? come on do your home work we have above state average test scores, above state average ranking. face it your kid just doesn't make! Come on quit blaming others and do your homework.... Start working with your kids.. it not the teachers or curriculum. it you and yours...
I am basing it on, I watch the school cook their books to make their tests and homework scores look good (have a years worth of chaging of grades and extra credit given to a child when they didn't even have their normal homework turned in on time). Just because a child can do good on substandard state testing during one time of the season, doesn't mean that the child understands the material! Instead of making the children accountable and sending the children to catch up club and taking the kids out of extra curricular activities based off of testing and GPA's from one class, they look at the GPA as a whole with gym and choir mixed in. This will inflate anyone's grades. Thus making their report card look good.
marco

Chicago, IL

#46 Dec 13, 2013
Homework Scores??? There is NO credit given for homework.
Blueeyes33510 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am basing it on, I watch the school cook their books to make their tests and homework scores look good (have a years worth of chaging of grades and extra credit given to a child when they didn't even have their normal homework turned in on time). Just because a child can do good on substandard state testing during one time of the season, doesn't mean that the child understands the material! Instead of making the children accountable and sending the children to catch up club and taking the kids out of extra curricular activities based off of testing and GPA's from one class, they look at the GPA as a whole with gym and choir mixed in. This will inflate anyone's grades. Thus making their report card look good.
holy cats

Chicago, IL

#47 Dec 18, 2013
It's always the same kids, usually the popular kids boys and girls who bully others. Mr. Orth has a conflict of interest with the boys, he should not be discipling and coaching. My child had several run in with certain boys and you would think they would stop the kids from playing volleyball or basketball, heck no. Mr. Orth gives a song and dance. Well I called his parents and I know he won't do it again. He was very scared and apologetic. No that kid won't, but his friend will and it goes down the line. I'm so glad my kid is out of Hille and attending a private HS for 2 years and has zero problems with any kids.
former student

Chicago, IL

#48 Dec 18, 2013
To be honest there's bullying going on and it's not just Hille it's everywhere. What gets me is the schools has all these people come in and talk to us. Some kids take it to heart and others they laugh or make jokes about it, it's sick. I'm in the middle crowd, I'm cool with the "popular kids" and I'm cool with the so called, "geeks, nerds, unpopular, goths" I hate how they are titled. You never want to burn bridges so it's good to be cool with everyone. actually the popular kids are the ones who's on volleyball, basketball, cheer. I say about 45% are nice the rest plan mean. the popular girls and guys go around asking someone who is not in there crowd or lunch table if they want to date. So you have this person happy and telling there friends they are dating so and so. Then maybe half way through school they tell them it was a joke. They do mean things like that, take there food, locker slam them, if they leave the gym locker set they will hide there clothes and rub the persons clothes with there privates, spit in there hair, push them around during gym activities and say it's an accident, I can go on and onÂ… Is anything done, nah. I was called into the vice principles office got a slap on the wrist, and my Mom was called, did I get in trouble yes. If it happen to my friend would he have gotten in trouble nope his dad would laugh it off. I think the teachers should watch and listen more. they should take bullying seriously.
unbelievable

Chicago, IL

#49 Dec 18, 2013
DancingPants wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I don't think so. With only three minutes between classes, the kids don't even have time to go into the bathrooms to pee, let alone fight. And it's a great school.
Well I hear it from my 2 nephews and their friends. don't believe me I don't care.
hotdog

Chicago, IL

#50 Dec 18, 2013
OF Concerned Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Really. Can we please not let this turn into "my kid/school is better than yours"? There are problem kids in every school and there are great kids in every school. We should really focus on doing what we can to make our chosen schools better. Thank you.
my kids school is better then yours. Why? I live in a better neighborhood then you, Oak Forest is a bunch of wanta bees, white trash. you get what you pay for, you want a better school send your kid to a private school and pay for it. Or move and pay more in taxes. there's a school board you think you can run it better, run for office. Do you go to the meetings? are you involved in the PTA? If not stop hiding get involve if your stuck where you live. go to the village meetings. Or home school
marco

Chicago, IL

#51 Dec 19, 2013
hotdog wrote:
<quoted text>
my kids school is better then yours. Why? I live in a better neighborhood then you, Oak Forest is a bunch of wanta bees, white trash. you get what you pay for, you want a better school send your kid to a private school and pay for it. Or move and pay more in taxes. there's a school board you think you can run it better, run for office. Do you go to the meetings? are you involved in the PTA? If not stop hiding get involve if your stuck where you live. go to the village meetings. Or home school
First off private school is definately NOT the answer.... Just because you pay extra for something doesnt make it better..... secondly MOST of the people of Oak Forest are NOT white trash or the such most are just hard working people. As far as white trash or bitcher and moaner try looking in the mirror.
wellduh

Oak Forest, IL

#52 Dec 19, 2013
Bullying from a 6th grader just started on my child. I will nip it right away.

Since: Dec 13

Oak Lawn, IL

#53 Dec 19, 2013
Hillie lacks discipline wrote:
The lack of discipline at Hillie is absolutely frightening.
I've worked as a sub there and sent kids to the office for disrupting the class (after repeated warnings) only to have the same kids act up even worse the very next day in class. They walked into the class strutting their stuff the next day like being sent to the office a day prior was a badge of honor for them.
Checking with the teacher afterward, he told me: "Oh so-and-so? Yeah! He's always a problem."
Ummm, "always"?
I'm not sure what goes on in the office there but apparently it isn't much to deter future flair-ups. I know I was scared to death when I was a kid when the possibility of being sent to the office was mentioned - but apparently kids nowadays don't care.
Mr. Orth (who looks like a linebacker) at Hillie does little other than damn near plead with the kids to behave. "Now c'mon! You can't be acting like that guys."
When our kid had a problem we had to tell him to put him in detention to teach him a lesson and even then it was "Well, we usually let the child decide when it's best for him to serve it out."
My wife said "WHAT? No ... you tell HIM when he's gonna serve his detention, not the other way around."
And this is besides the severe cases of weapons being brought to school, child's heads being lit on fire, etc. The school has a pretty shaky record recently.
I'd complain to the principle and take it up with Dr. Longo (the superintendent) if you have to.
Resident is right: It's YOUR money and YOUR KIDS. You have a right to complain.
My grandmother was a bus driver for the school and chose to retire early because the kids were so rude and disrespectful. They knew there were no consequences so they constantly pushed the envelope. She report some of the children only to have them back the next day even worse than they were before.
Magdalena

United States

#56 Dec 20, 2013
Hillie lacks discipline wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't doubt that for a second.
I'm surprised teachers didn't come ON HER BUS, stick up for the misbehaving kids and undercut her authority right in front of the discipline cases in question.
Maybe she just didn't stick around long enough for that to happen?
I call B.S. On you and rosey..... When there is a bus problem it is handled swiftly and fairly. Its not always the kids that are the problem have you seen some of these bus drivers
Newbee

Chicago, IL

#58 Dec 20, 2013
marco wrote:
<quoted text>
First off private school is definately NOT the answer.... Just because you pay extra for something doesnt make it better..... secondly MOST of the people of Oak Forest are NOT white trash or the such most are just hard working people. As far as white trash or bitcher and moaner try looking in the mirror.
Yes private is better not talking about St. Damian's that's a dump and a different story. My children go to a christain school they have the same morals as my husband and I, which are reinforced at school daily. Well now look who's is being trashy with the laugage you're tossing around. I'm looking in the mirror sweetie, smiling and feel sorry for you the less fortunate one. I'll keep you in my prayers...
Marcos

Forest Park, IL

#59 Dec 20, 2013
Newbee wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes private is better not talking about St. Damian's that's a dump and a different story. My children go to a christain school they have the same morals as my husband and I, which are reinforced at school daily. Well now look who's is being trashy with the laugage you're tossing around. I'm looking in the mirror sweetie, smiling and feel sorry for you the less fortunate one. I'll keep you in my prayers...
Actually im the smiling one.... My children arebt being brainwashed
burned

Carol Stream, IL

#60 Dec 23, 2013
I had two children that graduated from Hille. They went on to graduate from Oak Forest high school in the top three percent of their class . I currently have a student in Hille. They are great. The office staff and teachers we deal with are wonderful. The best thing that has happened is Dr. Orzel is out of there, the new principal is great. All we have to do now is get Orzel out of our district.
Frankie

Chicago, IL

#61 Dec 31, 2013
It's not the school's or teacher's fault that kids are a discipline problem!
Badly behaved kids come from homes that are too liberal and lack consistant adult supervision.
Age isn't the determining factor of adulthood, behavior is !(it's caught not taught)!
When a parent blames the school for the kid's behavior, you've got the answer right there, the parent is incompetent and blames others for their own failure to raise a properly socialized kid !
I'll bet their dog(if they have one) has a discipline problem too !LOL!
Frankie
Past worker

Forest Park, IL

#63 Jan 1, 2014
If the students don't behave, right next to Hille school is BRAUN.
A SCHOOL FOR BEHAVIORAL AND EMOTIONAL students. If the student was sent there for a few days, their attitude just may change I have worked there in the past also and I've seen students really try, despite the fighting and disrespect of their teachers really really try to get back to their home schools. A good option for out of controllable students that are unsafe to others and staff.

Since: Dec 13

Oak Lawn, IL

#64 Jan 26, 2014
NoseyRosey0927 wrote:
<quoted text>
She wasn't going to put up with children behaving that way. After the administration did nothing, she no longer had respect for them. On her last day she said "I've worked long enough to not have to put up with this from a bunch of little @ssholes.
My grandmother worked for over 30 years as a bus driver. She bused disabled children, children with behavior/conduct disorders to alternative schools and to Hille. Never in all that time did she ever have a bad thing to say about children's behavior until she bused to Hille. You can call BS all you want to defend, cover up or pretend a problem doesn't exist but that doesn't make it real. My grandmother was honest to a fault. She told it like it was whether you liked it or not. She didn't candy coat anything. Barring mental or neurological disorders, behavior like that is caused by lack of discipline and respect. Think about who you're churning out to the world. The kind of child that thinks they are entitled to speak to an adult in any manner they choose. They lack boundaries and carries a sense of entitlement. These are the same individuals that will grow up to be your neighbors and even possible city officials.

Now I am not saying all children from the school behave like this but there are definitely a group of bad apples and the only ones to blame are those in a position to give consequences to their actions.
of mom

Chicago, IL

#65 Sep 26, 2014
Hillie lacks discipline wrote:
The lack of discipline at Hillie is absolutely frightening.
I've worked as a sub there and sent kids to the office for disrupting the class (after repeated warnings) only to have the same kids act up even worse the very next day in class. They walked into the class strutting their stuff the next day like being sent to the office a day prior was a badge of honor for them.
Checking with the teacher afterward, he told me: "Oh so-and-so? Yeah! He's always a problem."
Ummm, "always"?
I'm not sure what goes on in the office there but apparently it isn't much to deter future flair-ups. I know I was scared to death when I was a kid when the possibility of being sent to the office was mentioned - but apparently kids nowadays don't care.
Mr. Orth (who looks like a linebacker) at Hillie does little other than damn near plead with the kids to behave. "Now c'mon! You can't be acting like that guys."
When our kid had a problem we had to tell him to put him in detention to teach him a lesson and even then it was "Well, we usually let the child decide when it's best for him to serve it out."
My wife said "WHAT? No ... you tell HIM when he's gonna serve his detention, not the other way around."
And this is besides the severe cases of weapons being brought to school, child's heads being lit on fire, etc. The school has a pretty shaky record recently.
I'd complain to the principle and take it up with Dr. Longo (the superintendent) if you have to.
Resident is right: It's YOUR money and YOUR KIDS. You have a right to complain.
Right on! Mr. Orth does crap! If the students is on a sports team you can forget about him calling the parents up, that just does not happen. You would think they would pull the kid from playing, no way Mr. Orth keeps them on the team and of course they are in the game. Last year there were so many bullies on the basketball team and Mr. Orth did nothing! Those same kids played! He protects those kids, glad he does not disciple them anymore hopefully Mr. Adelman will change things around.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Arrest Warrants: Wanted in Tinley Park (Feb '12) 18 min c woody 3
Mayor Domingo Vargas Contrite at July 12, 2016 ... 5 hr Impressive 70
No Confidence in the BI Independent Party 5 hr We Go High 27
flooding reported in the 7th (Dec '15) 5 hr We Go High 33
What happened to Beautiful Mexican mural @ olde... (May '09) 5 hr Another BIIP Dive... 399
Main bangers in blue island (Dec '11) 5 hr Just A BIIP Diver... 38
Mexican Drugs a Scourge on Blue Island (Mar '14) 6 hr Pepe 100

Dixmoor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dixmoor Mortgages