Jack Hille- the worst school in Oak F...

Jack Hille- the worst school in Oak Forest

Posted in the Dixmoor Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Anonymous

Oak Forest, IL

#1 Oct 7, 2010
Can anyone else give me feedback on Hille that may or may not change my mind? We moved here a year ago and enrolled our kids....worst mistake we ever made. We are on the verge on transferring them mid-year. Teachers are horrible, curriculum is lax and the kids are so badly behaved it is frightening.

We expected better when we moved here. Talk about a rude awakening.
OF Concerned Parent

Oak Forest, IL

#2 Oct 7, 2010
Wow, I am so sorry to hear of your experience! We have a 7th grader at Hille this year and have been very, very happy. Most of the teachers have been exceptionally caring and interested in our student's progress. They call or email if there is any indication of a problem. The principal sends out communication emails all the time plus we have access to our students progress/grades through powerschool (online). We had a bit of an issue this year regarding another student and the staff could not have been more responsive. I am not sure of what difficulties you have experienced or what you have done to try and get resolution. If you haven't spoken with the principal, I would definitely give it a try. Of course, not everything or everyone is perfect anywhere but we are very happy with Hille and District 142.
resident

United States

#3 Oct 8, 2010
Sofia, speak up! That is your tax dollars being put to use. If there is something your not happy with, complain. Don't settle for less. Why are the Teachers so "Horrible"? The curriculum should be standard. If there is no discipline in the school the administration should be made aware. If they cant handle the students then they should be held accountable. If there's a bully, report it. If we all just accept a substandard system then we are failing our kids. How many others transferred without speaking out? They are paid for by US!

Since: Aug 09

Hoboken, NJ

#4 Oct 8, 2010
I have had all my kids through Hille (and Kerkstra before that) and I was and continue to be very happy with the school. All of the teachers I have dealt with have been very responsive to any inquiries and just this week we got a call from one of them who realized my child was not performing at the level she should be. If you have an issue bring it up to Mrs. Orzel or Mr. Orth. they both very approachable and in my experience very helpful!
Hillie lacks discipline

Forest Park, IL

#6 Oct 8, 2010
The lack of discipline at Hillie is absolutely frightening.

I've worked as a sub there and sent kids to the office for disrupting the class (after repeated warnings) only to have the same kids act up even worse the very next day in class. They walked into the class strutting their stuff the next day like being sent to the office a day prior was a badge of honor for them.

Checking with the teacher afterward, he told me: "Oh so-and-so? Yeah! He's always a problem."

Ummm, "always"?

I'm not sure what goes on in the office there but apparently it isn't much to deter future flair-ups. I know I was scared to death when I was a kid when the possibility of being sent to the office was mentioned - but apparently kids nowadays don't care.

Mr. Orth (who looks like a linebacker) at Hillie does little other than damn near plead with the kids to behave. "Now c'mon! You can't be acting like that guys."

When our kid had a problem we had to tell him to put him in detention to teach him a lesson and even then it was "Well, we usually let the child decide when it's best for him to serve it out."

My wife said "WHAT? No ... you tell HIM when he's gonna serve his detention, not the other way around."

And this is besides the severe cases of weapons being brought to school, child's heads being lit on fire, etc. The school has a pretty shaky record recently.

I'd complain to the principle and take it up with Dr. Longo (the superintendent) if you have to.

Resident is right: It's YOUR money and YOUR KIDS. You have a right to complain.
Finally

Munster, IN

#7 Oct 8, 2010
Hillie lacks discipline wrote:
The lack of discipline at Hillie is absolutely frightening.
I've worked as a sub there and sent kids to the office for disrupting the class (after repeated warnings) only to have the same kids act up even worse the very next day in class. They walked into the class strutting their stuff the next day like being sent to the office a day prior was a badge of honor for them.
Checking with the teacher afterward, he told me: "Oh so-and-so? Yeah! He's always a problem."
Ummm, "always"?
I'm not sure what goes on in the office there but apparently it isn't much to deter future flair-ups. I know I was scared to death when I was a kid when the possibility of being sent to the office was mentioned - but apparently kids nowadays don't care.
Mr. Orth (who looks like a linebacker) at Hillie does little other than damn near plead with the kids to behave. "Now c'mon! You can't be acting like that guys."
When our kid had a problem we had to tell him to put him in detention to teach him a lesson and even then it was "Well, we usually let the child decide when it's best for him to serve it out."
My wife said "WHAT? No ... you tell HIM when he's gonna serve his detention, not the other way around."
And this is besides the severe cases of weapons being brought to school, child's heads being lit on fire, etc. The school has a pretty shaky record recently.
I'd complain to the principle and take it up with Dr. Longo (the superintendent) if you have to.
Resident is right: It's YOUR money and YOUR KIDS. You have a right to complain.
Yes, it is their right to complain and they can certainly blow off steam on this message board, but to get real action they have to complain to the Board, only way to get real action I think.
Seriously

Chicago, IL

#8 Oct 10, 2010
Finally wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, it is their right to complain and they can certainly blow off steam on this message board, but to get real action they have to complain to the Board, only way to get real action I think.
You are probably correct, but the board would more than likely ask them if they followed the "appropriated" steps before coming to them, like going to the principal, the superintendent. Unless they have kids in the school, the board is probably not aware of all of this going on. The school certainly isn't going to tell them.
Finally

United States

#9 Oct 10, 2010
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
You are probably correct, but the board would more than likely ask them if they followed the "appropriated" steps before coming to them, like going to the principal, the superintendent. Unless they have kids in the school, the board is probably not aware of all of this going on. The school certainly isn't going to tell them.
Very good point...but if the Board isn't aware of what is happening in the schools they govern, that in itself is a problem. And I would go to the Board then for sure, to make them aware. They have a citizens participation part in the meeting so I think they should go for it! I surely would :)
They Wont

Forest Park, IL

#10 Oct 10, 2010
Is laughing because they won't go and do anything about it. It is easier to post on the internet, complain to neighbors, but go and actually seek a solution to your problem...ha! They won't. They will use the excuse I've tried, but they didn't. If your not willing to go and express your concerns and demand something to be done about it, quit complaining. You can blame others, but in the end you have no one else to blame but yourself for your unwillingness to take responsibility and do something about a problem that is bothering you.
OF Concerned Parent

Oak Forest, IL

#11 Oct 10, 2010
They Wont wrote:
Is laughing because they won't go and do anything about it. It is easier to post on the internet, complain to neighbors, but go and actually seek a solution to your problem...ha! They won't. They will use the excuse I've tried, but they didn't. If your not willing to go and express your concerns and demand something to be done about it, quit complaining. You can blame others, but in the end you have no one else to blame but yourself for your unwillingness to take responsibility and do something about a problem that is bothering you.
Yes, I sooo agree with you!!
Damian Parent

Oak Forest, IL

#12 Oct 12, 2010
We have several kids from Hille that live on our block and they are worst behaved in our neighborhood. I have strict orders for my kids that they are to have no contact with them. If I have my window open and they are outside, the F-Bombs fly, they fight and the girls talk about sex constantly.

While I am sure this is not the case with every child at the school, the examples I have on my street would lead me to believe EVERY WORD that the substitute teacher wrote in the prev post.
OF Concerned Parent

Oak Forest, IL

#13 Oct 12, 2010
They Wont wrote:
Yes, notice, while others have come on and made their opinions known, I don't believe the original poster has even bothered to respond here, let alone to address the issues with the school officials who could actually do something.
OF Concerned Parent

Oak Forest, IL

#14 Oct 12, 2010
Damian Parent wrote:
We have several kids from Hille that live on our block and they are worst behaved in our neighborhood. I have strict orders for my kids that they are to have no contact with them. If I have my window open and they are outside, the F-Bombs fly, they fight and the girls talk about sex constantly.
While I am sure this is not the case with every child at the school, the examples I have on my street would lead me to believe EVERY WORD that the substitute teacher wrote in the prev post.
Really. Can we please not let this turn into "my kid/school is better than yours"? There are problem kids in every school and there are great kids in every school. We should really focus on doing what we can to make our chosen schools better. Thank you.
Damian Parent

Oak Forest, IL

#15 Oct 12, 2010
Not sure if your post was directed at me (OF Concerned parent)but I never said my kids school is better than Jack Hille. I was honest in my post and wrote what I hear on almost a daily basis. I also stated that I am sure that not EVERY child behaved this way at the school.

Since my kids don't go there, I really don't see what I can do to make Hille "better"....and Thank you!
not my fault

Harvey, IL

#16 Oct 12, 2010
As a former sub at many area schools I must say that it isn't just Hille kids' that have bad behavior. I agree with the other sub that says there is a "boys will be boys" attitude, but it is at most schools. Girls are sometimes worse than boys because they have been shown by the media that helps portray "bad girls" as role models. I bet if they made parents come to sit with the troublemaker kids during classes it wouldn't be the "cool" thing get in trouble. Once again, parents must take responsibilty for not letting their kids run wild.
I do agree that curriculum isn't what it should be, but it is that way all over United States, with Illinois being one of the worst performing states after lowering testing standards to meet NCLB requirements. High school core classes aren't rigorous enough to impart college-level skills, knowledge, or readiness. Check out the website for illinoisloop.org to get more information if you really want to know what has been and is happening to testing in Illinois. Did you know that the writing part of the tests don't need correct spelling or complete sentences. Read about this and react accordingly. I just know that it keeps me employed as a tutor for kids that really do want to do better and there are quite a few!
interesting

United States

#17 Oct 12, 2010
Damian Parent wrote:
That is too bad, but still wrong to judge a whole school of 600 students on a handful that you know. I know students from district 142 and Damians and let me tell you in the whole lot of them there are some great kids from both schools and some real doozies from both too...schools don't make the students, PARENTS DO!
Damian Parent

Oak Forest, IL

#18 Oct 12, 2010
Ok, for the last time, I NEVER SAID ALL HILLE STUDENTS ACT AS THE PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED NEIGHBOR CHILDREN.

There are bad kids in every school district. We all know that. Again, I posted an honest observation based on my every day life. If you don't believe that some kids at Hille could possibly act this way, come over and sit on my porch and listen for 10 minutes & observe.

Based on the 6 0r 7 kids I know, what the substitute teacher said rings very true.

This is all because I have Damian parent as a name...never did I say that the kids at our school are perfect, however- when my wife & I chose a school, the bad apples on our street were certainly part of that decision. Sorry, it is true and it is what it is!
Seriously

Chicago, IL

#19 Oct 13, 2010
Finally wrote:
<quoted text>Very good point...but if the Board isn't aware of what is happening in the schools they govern, that in itself is a problem. And I would go to the Board then for sure, to make them aware. They have a citizens participation part in the meeting so I think they should go for it! I surely would :)
You are absolutely correct, I didn't mean to not go to the board, just that the board may want them to go through the channels. This is a way for the board to learn what is going on. The administration surely doesn't want them to know things may be bad.
Seriously

Chicago, IL

#20 Oct 13, 2010
not my fault wrote:
As a former sub at many area schools I must say that it isn't just Hille kids' that have bad behavior. I agree with the other sub that says there is a "boys will be boys" attitude, but it is at most schools. Girls are sometimes worse than boys because they have been shown by the media that helps portray "bad girls" as role models. I bet if they made parents come to sit with the troublemaker kids during classes it wouldn't be the "cool" thing get in trouble. Once again, parents must take responsibilty for not letting their kids run wild.
I do agree that curriculum isn't what it should be, but it is that way all over United States, with Illinois being one of the worst performing states after lowering testing standards to meet NCLB requirements. High school core classes aren't rigorous enough to impart college-level skills, knowledge, or readiness. Check out the website for illinoisloop.org to get more information if you really want to know what has been and is happening to testing in Illinois. Did you know that the writing part of the tests don't need correct spelling or complete sentences. Read about this and react accordingly. I just know that it keeps me employed as a tutor for kids that really do want to do better and there are quite a few!
I believe you hit the nail on the head. Parental responsibility. Seems like some parents aren't doing all that much parenting these days. I do agree that our educational process has suffered due to NCLB, seems we cater to those that aren't doing well, while advanced students at lower grade levels are suffering. I don't agree that our high schools, at least in this district don't offer challenging classes. My son was in honors classes and AP classes and he was challenged plenty. I don't know about the regular level courses though, you could be right there.

I visited the link you posted. I gather its intent is to gain support for charter schools. Here is a question for you, if the neighborhood school was able to hand select its students as charter schools do,rather than have to take any child that walks thru its doors, how do you think they would perform? If it didn't have to follow all the states guidelines, how would it do?
not my fault

Harvey, IL

#21 Oct 14, 2010
Thanks for your opinion on the website. I never thought there was a hidden agenda on the site, but will keep that thought in mind as I use it. I think there should be a Federal standard and not State standards. Now we compared test scores but not test content. It is an unfair comparison.

I think charter schools are generally filled with students that have motivated and involved adults in their lives and the students have a heightened level of intellectual curiousity; therefore, the school will be considered a success.

The facts are that educators are now responsible for teaching an entire class with students of different ability levels. Kids are "pulled out" of a class to go to a Resource class which should help them catch up to the others in their grade. It doesn't work. Let's say a kid is pulled out of an English class to go to a resource class for math. So now the kid is behind in English. Not fair to the student at all.

I think the entire concept of teaching should be revamped. Students shouldn't be placed in grades but moved according to their level of competence. There are always the "experts" giving the newest theory about learning and the best way to get kids to learn. Now it is "differential learning" and "Social Emotional Learning" which isn't much different than "Self-Esteem-based Learning" which was popular years ago. It sure keeps a bunch of blowhards employed by changing these theories every few years but I don't think it helps teachers that are dealing with kids that are not able to tell you what 4 X 8 equals by 8th grade!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
City Attorney ShawnTe Raines has No Municipal A... (Jan '14) 7 hr Messy 220
Squatters 8 hr CASA 3
Poll Should Crestwood residents pay for Chief T's cr... (Oct '11) 8 hr Lou 663
Should Cresrtwood Have Their Own Strip Club (Jul '14) 9 hr Louie P 11
Stranczeks houses (May '14) 9 hr LUNT JOKE 6
Passing of Frank Gassmere (Jul '14) 9 hr Why Dat Eye 8
Blue Island Rec Center newest employee (Mar '15) 9 hr Change is needed 137
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dixmoor Mortgages