What's happening in 228?
Yesser

Midlothian, IL

#149 Dec 13, 2013
http://iirc.niu.edu/Documents/surveyoflearnin...

This is oak forest..scroll down to question 14...compare the two...see any difference?
Yesser

Midlothian, IL

#150 Dec 13, 2013
Now...what could be the difference between sikora and kibelkis...funny for those in the know...and the data shows it.
joe

Alsip, IL

#151 Dec 13, 2013
This survey is very refreshing, I can only hope the board listens to these responses. If it' not working its their job to fix it.
LessIsLess

Alsip, IL

#152 Dec 22, 2013
AP chem and other 2 hour courses are said to be reduced to one hour. If this is true it continues the slide in quality courses offered by 228. http://bhsd228.schoolwires.net/cms/lib6/IL010...
PublicNotice

Alsip, IL

#153 Dec 29, 2013
228 financials are posted in the Messenger...This mandated notice serves to in form the public of this organizations actions. It takes a lot of time to decipher this report. One early question I heard was did the $5K paid to Maker - Bot get Bremen a new 3-D printer ???
Henry

Alsip, IL

#154 Dec 31, 2013
I wonder how well midlo's political hacks are affiliated with the crooks in OF. All of these politicos seem to enjoy multiple positions ; park district, school board, local government, fire dept. I can only hope the investigation reveals all of their misdeeds.
CrimeIsDown

Alsip, IL

#155 Jan 14, 2014
Thefts if gym class have gotten so bad at Bremen the kids no longer report them. I'm sure the boss at Bremen would cite the stats but when it goes unreported ???
BremenFan

Midlothian, IL

#156 Jan 14, 2014
Finance Mtg wrote:
It looks like 228 has approved a $41Million bond issue. This bond issue was reported to be for the "working cash fund". It seems ironic to see 228 claim that their finances are in good shape and then take out a loan for $34.5 million ($6.5 is a refinance) for working cash ??? They have not publicly stated why we need this money or how they expect to pay it back. At least it will give the treasurer something to do.
It would be good to see this administration spend more effort on education instead of all the overhead used to manage money in a failing district.
Reading the Labor/Management committee summary notes it appears A/Superintendent of Finance T. O'Malley doesn't have to answer to anyone. The arrogance of this administration may prove to be
it's downfall.
In other news Bremen A/D Daigler is leaving. It seems like he was just hired last year. This position seems like a revolving door at Bremen. Perhaps Daigler expects more out of his athletes than others in the admin. Word on the street is the Assistant A/D will get the job.
Daigler Left because he didn't fit in and supposedly got a better offer elsewhere..
Expect more from athletes?? Conference win football, Conference win soccer, Swimming, golf and Cross country had awesome seasons. Daigler leaving had nothing to do with the Athletes performance..
liljoe

Chicago, IL

#157 Jan 14, 2014
BremenFan wrote:
<quoted text>
Daigler Left because he didn't fit in and supposedly got a better offer elsewhere..
Expect more from athletes?? Conference win football, Conference win soccer, Swimming, golf and Cross country had awesome seasons. Daigler leaving had nothing to do with the Athletes performance..
I believe he expected more from them off the field, not only from the kids but also his boss. The last football game was a disaster as far as athlete behavior was concerned. Also I heard at least one player had a court date for beating up his girlfriend and was still playing. Crosscountry did not have their best year. I heard he went back to his old job. Maybe The board could do an exit interview. But I agree athletic performance was not an issue. Soccer had a great year.
BremenFan

Midlothian, IL

#158 Jan 15, 2014
liljoe wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe he expected more from them off the field, not only from the kids but also his boss. The last football game was a disaster as far as athlete behavior was concerned. Also I heard at least one player had a court date for beating up his girlfriend and was still playing. Crosscountry did not have their best year. I heard he went back to his old job. Maybe The board could do an exit interview. But I agree athletic performance was not an issue. Soccer had a great year.
I stand corrected, very sad and embarressing the way the football season ended after a stellar season. I agree the bad eggs should NOT have been playing. haven't heard of the girlfriend beating.
I still believe Daigler was on his way out before conflicts were occurring, Hopefully the new AD , and others will set an example and get along.
AKADEMIKS

Alsip, IL

#160 Feb 2, 2014
Word on the street is that 228 is getting rid of top ten class rankings and GPA. I don't know all of the ramifications of this bit I wonder if they.feel the same about the sports. Will we have a number one iin the conference for foottball, soccer, golf, do we throw the clocks out for track??? I know at Ms. Williams model IMSA they don' t. keep rankings. Everyone of the students at IMSA had to take the SAT to get into that school.

How many 228 kids take the SAT???

Is this another change this board is going to.male without any public notice???

The race to the bottom is going on right under our feet!
Daigler

Cape Coral, FL

#161 Feb 2, 2014
BremenFan wrote:
<quoted text>
I stand corrected, very sad and embarressing the way the football season ended after a stellar season. I agree the bad eggs should NOT have been playing. haven't heard of the girlfriend beating.
I still believe Daigler was on his way out before conflicts were occurring, Hopefully the new AD , and others will set an example and get along.
Daigler couldnt wait to get out of there.That place is a nightmare to work at,since a couple of the newer hirings at the AD Center
Active Parent

United States

#162 Feb 2, 2014
Sorry for once again correcting you, but you don't pay my salary. I don't work for the district, I'm a very involved parent to three children in the district, thank you very much. What's so hard to understand that the principal was available for the first date but not the second? Again, if you were involved you would know this.
I work hard to pay the bills too, that's why I'm involved. I don't "criticize taxpayers that work in the real world", I try to educate my fellow community members who comment on things but don't take the initiative to educate themselves so they know what they are talking about. Some who are fed inaccurate information from a disgruntled employee and are being used as a stooge.
What "quality" courses have been cut? None that I'm aware of. "The paltry extracurricular activities"? I would disagree with you, but also point out the fact that as the name suggests these are "extra" and the school's job is to educate, not provide a social atmosphere for the students. Sports Banquets? This just proves again how uninvolved you are in the school, you doubted whether I have students, this proves you don't or you don't have children involved in sports or you are equally as uninvolved with supporting the sports your child participates in as you are in supporting the school, how unfortunate for your child. The sports banquets are run by the individual sports booster program. If you have a problem with the banquet take it up with them, better yet, help out, they are always looking for help, the same parents end up doing all the work all the time because a lot of the other parents like to sit back and do nothing, then complain.
As for Scarecrow Fest, did you talk to the sponsor? No I'm sure you didn't.
In regards to BTTO, perhaps you need to have someone sit down and explain that to you. Your comment that "they hardly cover their own existence" just proves you don't understand. Find out when they are going to the school for their annual report and go. If I remember correctly from last year, this office brought MILLIONS into the districts. As for the. "shenanigans" in this office, that was from an elected official not from anyone that worked there. You are right, that office may not be involved in education, they are concerned with trying to make our tax dollars stretch.
I'm sorry you have a problem with the salary levels of the administrative staff, perhaps you should have chosen a different career or gotten more education.
Since you are trying to be such an ardent moniter of our tax dollars are you also contacting your state representatives and asking them why they keep reducing the amount of funds they give the schools? Are you asking where the money is being diverted to? Oh probably not, there isn't a topix page for them.
TaxPayer wrote:
I am one of the remaining taxpayers still paying your salary. The date of the ceremony was changed at the last minute due to scheduling problems, apparently the principal was free on the first date and they changed it to a day he couldn't make??? I am a parent that works hard at paying their bills and trying to educate our kids in this cruel world were people like you, who probably don't even live in the district feel you can criticize taxpayers that work in the real world.
The cuts have been realized in the lack of quality courses and paltry extracurricular activities to include sports banquets, just to name a couple off the top of my head. What happened to Scarecrow fest?
They push more and more things to the web but haven't eliminated any admin positions.
You sound like a toady of the admin. How many kids do you have in 228 ???
How is it that O'Malley earning $169K a year can't even reply to an email. From what I can find on the web BTTO hardly covers their own .
Active Parent

United States

#163 Feb 2, 2014
You aren't going to get an answer because that would involve him having to state an actual fact rather than what someone "reported " to him. Do you think the BGA (Better Government Association) would let this happen? If they were handing out bonuses, why wouldn't they just pay the administrators $50,000 then give them a $50,000 bonus? No one would complain they were getting paid too much. Personally, I think some teacher that didn't get promoted to an administrative position is using this guy, feeding him garbage because they know exactly what he will do. Starting to remind me of the joker that always complains about the Patch. Best thing to do is ignore him, which I've tried but sometimes the ignorance gets to me. We have an excellent school with people dedicated to educating our students .
Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
What bonuses? Those people don't get any "bonuses". This isn't a car dealership.
Also, you still haven't answered my question. Which admins do you think should be cut exactly?
Active Parent

United States

#164 Feb 2, 2014
It's obvious why the "little white schoolhouse" went extinct, it wasn't teaching punctuation, grammar or the proper use of the word "proficient". Which, by the way, means "well advanced, competent, expert".
Old person wrote:
what happened to that little white school house where my Greatgrandmother taught , where there were no cost problems only teaching , recess and lunch why is money so involved and so many people who draw such large salaries .....we need to really take a step back and reassess our costs are they really proficient.
Active Parent

United States

#165 Feb 2, 2014
I disagree with you. I find most if not all care deeply about our students. I haven't encountered anyone with the attitude that they are better than me. Have you done any research into how many neighboring districts have gone through tax increases? We haven't in something like 20 years. Did you know that? Do you know of any industry/business that is able to provide the same service/product at prices they were 20 years ago? Maybe what you are confusing with attitude is frustration. Maybe they have tried to explain to you the reason for things and you aren't comprehending it. I was going to recommend you attend a meeting or schedule a meeting with the administration so they could explain it, but I don't think it would help. Your talents could really be used better lobbying the state. Read your state constitution, the state is responsible for providing an education to our children, they have fallen down on the job. I am considering joining a group that is planning a bus trip to Springfield to address this issue, are you interested?
Carpet Baggers wrote:
Most (not all) of the people involved in 228 don't give a damn about the kids. It's all money and power that's why they live elsewhere. Our money is good enough (actually better than many other districts) but they're too good to live here.
As a resident I can't understand where many of these folks get their better than you attitude when they just seem to take our money and run.
Maybe the board should push for a residency requirement. If they had to pay for these bond issues maybe they would work a little harder at balancing the budget. We have way too many administrators.
HelpMeHere

Alsip, IL

#166 Feb 2, 2014
I'm not aware of any "new" hirings... Kendall and Co. have been there for a while. Not that I'm impressed with them. I did glance an email where Daiglers boss ridiculed him for a spelling error on a mobile device...which came across as very petty. Sometimes you can read so much in a simple sentence.

All the public can see how their over paid public servants perform their jobs as they document it in their emails ala SOPKA (see Southtown Star) or CHRISTIE (see Washington Post).
Simply ask for this info and they (BHSD228) are legally bound to give it to you , although they like to blow ppl off, be insistent. Their lawyers will love the billable hours.

Recently I had a piece of mail telling me one of my kids was no longer in a sport.... They have not been in that sport for years...Do these folks realize how unprofessional they appear when they do this? At the same time I was asking for other info and they wouldn't even respond...These folks are driving me crazy.

228 is out of control.

And So It Goes..........

Article on too much government.
http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/opinions/gu...
Active Parent

United States

#167 Feb 2, 2014
Again, I wish you would educate yourself. It was stated why they needed to do this. They are in good financial shape as far as schools go. Look into other schools, look at your elementary school.

You are referencing minutes of a meeting that happened over a year ago?

News flash the AD is leaving? Really? I don't know what to say about your comment that he expected more out of the athletes than other admins. I guess I'm not surprised, but I did expect something more along the lines of a conspiracy. Maybe he didn't like his "bonus".
Finance Mtg wrote:
It looks like 228 has approved a $41Million bond issue. This bond issue was reported to be for the "working cash fund". It seems ironic to see 228 claim that their finances are in good shape and then take out a loan for $34.5 million ($6.5 is a refinance) for working cash ??? They have not publicly stated why we need this money or how they expect to pay it back. At least it will give the treasurer something to do.
It would be good to see this administration spend more effort on education instead of all the overhead used to manage money in a failing district.
Reading the Labor/Management committee summary notes it appears A/Superintendent of Finance T. O'Malley doesn't have to answer to anyone. The arrogance of this administration may prove to be
it's downfall.
In other news Bremen A/D Daigler is leaving. It seems like he was just hired last year. This position seems like a revolving door at Bremen. Perhaps Daigler expects more out of his athletes than others in the admin. Word on the street is the Assistant A/D will get the job.
Active Parent

United States

#168 Feb 2, 2014
And there it is.
Another DUI wrote:
http://southtownstar.suntimes. com/24298064-522/hillcrest-hig h-school-drivers-ed-teacher-qu itting-after-dui-charge.html
Makes me wonder why he left the A/D position at Bremen.
Active Parent

United States

#169 Feb 2, 2014
You may be right, but I have found Dr. Kibelkis to be an asset to the school, perhaps these individuals just didn't measure up. It is fruitless to speculate though, the question should be asked to either Dr. Kibelkis or Dr. Kendall.
My Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Two words can answer that in my opinion.... DAVE KIBELKIS.
The position has been a revolving door since Rybarczyk was promoted to Associate Principal to replace Kibelkis when he was made principal at Tinley for a year before moving back to Bremen to replace Mendenhall as principal. Kibelkis has now been principal since the 2007-08 school year and has been through 3 athletic directors (Vince Kasley, Jim Matlon, and now Mike Daigler) and is now going to be on his 4th on at least an interim basis in less than 7 years as principal. If a different person is hired for next year it will be his 5th in 8 years. Just my opinion but the turnover rate at a position in a District that pays well could have a lot to do with the big boss in the building. Again, just my opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
We Need Leadership NOT Higher Taxes 2 hr Obstruction of Ju... 40
biip blue island a trainwreak 3 hr Command and control 9
Accountability .. it's all in the numbers 5 hr Plus Gouging 13
Public Hearing for Water Rate Increase 5 hr Price Gouging 76
BIIP Cost Cutting Ideas 7 hr Concerned 15
In its current state would you buy a home in Ha... 8 hr Lbh 2
How 'bout them Bears! 13 hr Fox 6

Dixmoor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance