What's happening in 228?
Hypocrisy

Alsip, IL

#129 Sep 26, 2013
The taxpayers should stop at nothing to ensure good government. She couldn't use W. Gleason as a pro bono lawyer to fight the States Attorney as he (W. Gleason)also represents D228 and Midlo. That would certainly raise red flags. So if Mayor and Board Member are incompatible ipso facto, having the same law firm represent both entities would also be incompatible, would it not ???

LilJoe

Alsip, IL

#130 Oct 4, 2013
Braves Win, Braves Win !
228 Finances

Alsip, IL

#131 Nov 6, 2013
SD 228 considers bond sale

By Mike Nolan [email protected] November 5, 2013 7:08PM

Updated: November 6, 2013 2:15AM

Bremen High School District 228 may sell up to $34.5 million in bonds to offset expected budget deficits in coming years.

Decisions about how much in bonds will be sold and when won’t be made by the school board for a few more weeks, according to Tom O’Malley, District 228’s assistant superintendent for finance.

Less state funding, lower property values in the district and a cap limiting how much the district can raise its tax levy (the amount it expects to bring in via the property tax) are contributing to operating revenue shortfalls, prompting the need for the bond issue, O’Malley said.

He said District 228 has been financially prudent and not spending beyond its means. The district consists of Bremen, Hillcrest, Oak Forest and Tinley Park high schools.

“We’re doing a very good job controlling costs,” he said.

Along with the bond issue, the district plans to refinance $6.5 million in outstanding bond debt to take advantage of lower interest rates, saving at least $300,000, O’Malley said.

He said if the full $34.5 million in bonds were to be sold, it would enable District 228 to maintain positive operating fund balances for five years, and the district would expect to pay off the bonds within 41/2 to 5 years.

O’Malley said an 11 percent drop over the past two school years in funding from the state — a decline expected to increase to 15 percent next year — has reduced district revenue, along with a steep drop in the assessed values of homes and businesses in the district.

Any increase in the district’s property tax levy is tied to changes in the Consumer Price Index, the federal government’s main measure of inflation. O’Malley said any increase in next year’s levy would be capped at 1.7 percent more than the current levy.

Because of the reduced revenue, District 228 is projecting annual operating deficits in the neighborhood of $6 million over the next couple of school years, he said.

The district can assess a separate levy to pay the principal and interest on bonds. O’Malley said the total dollar amount levied for paying debt, about $9.5 million a year, would remain unchanged because of the refinancing and paying off some existing bond debt this school year.
What

Alsip, IL

#132 Nov 6, 2013
I don't understand how O'Malley can say he's doing a good job controlling costs. He must not have any kids in 228, as all the cuts seem to be on the backs of the students. It was reported to me that last night's NHS was quite sparse and poorly attended by the admin. The principle couldn't even make it. The students see this and draw their own conclusions that this is not important. O'Malley says we're paying $9.5 million a year for debt. How much do we have sitting in the Bremen Township Treasures office? an office which if eliminated would save over half a million dollars every year just in personal costs. This patronage office can no longer be supported by 228.

One way to raise more money is to improve their product. If 228 would focus more on educating the kids(as much as they do on their salaries/careers) it would draw more people to the district and improve property values thus more taxes.

Old person

Midlothian, IL

#133 Nov 6, 2013
what happened to that little white school house where my Greatgrandmother taught , where there were no cost problems only teaching , recess and lunch why is money so involved and so many people who draw such large salaries .....we need to really take a step back and reassess our costs are they really proficient.
Carpet Baggers

Alsip, IL

#134 Nov 6, 2013
Most (not all) of the people involved in 228 don't give a damn about the kids. It's all money and power that's why they live elsewhere. Our money is good enough (actually better than many other districts) but they're too good to live here.

As a resident I can't understand where many of these folks get their better than you attitude when they just seem to take our money and run.

Maybe the board should push for a residency requirement. If they had to pay for these bond issues maybe they would work a little harder at balancing the budget. We have way too many administrators.
Annoyed by complainers

United States

#135 Nov 6, 2013
It was "reported" to you that the NHS induction was sparse and poorly attended by the admins? Who are you that others are "reporting" to you? It was a very nice ceremony if you ask me. How can you say cuts are on the backs of the students? We haven't seen any programs be cut. Are you even involved in the school community or do you just like to misstate and misconstrue facts to suit your purpose? If you were involved with the school you would know why the principal wasn't there. Since you are so dissatisfied I am sure you were one of the individuals that applied to replace Rybak right? You may be correct that eliminating the treasurer's office would save salaries but what would it cost? Much more than that in the monies the district receives from investments. I'm not even going to address your comments about property values and taxes, wouldn't waste my time since you obviously don't understand and want to blame 228 on the state of affairs of real estate in Illinois.
What wrote:
I don't understand how O'Malley can say he's doing a good job controlling costs. He must not have any kids in 228, as all the cuts seem to be on the backs of the students. It was reported to me that last night's NHS was quite sparse and poorly attended by the admin. The principle couldn't even make it. The students see this and draw their own conclusions that this is not important. O'Malley says we're paying $9.5 million a year for debt. How much do we have sitting in the Bremen Township Treasures office? an office which if eliminated would save over half a million dollars every year just in personal costs. This patronage office can no longer be supported by 228.
One way to raise more money is to improve their product. If 228 would focus more on educating the kids(as much as they do on their salaries/careers) it would draw more people to the district and improve property values thus more taxes.
TaxPayer

Alsip, IL

#136 Nov 6, 2013
I am one of the remaining taxpayers still paying your salary. The date of the ceremony was changed at the last minute due to scheduling problems, apparently the principal was free on the first date and they changed it to a day he couldn't make??? I am a parent that works hard at paying their bills and trying to educate our kids in this cruel world were people like you, who probably don't even live in the district feel you can criticize taxpayers that work in the real world.

The cuts have been realized in the lack of quality courses and paltry extracurricular activities to include sports banquets, just to name a couple off the top of my head. What happened to Scarecrow fest?

They push more and more things to the web but haven't eliminated any admin positions.

You sound like a toady of the admin. How many kids do you have in 228 ???

How is it that O'Malley earning $169K a year can't even reply to an email. From what I can find on the web BTTO hardly covers their own existence and has been the center of much political shenanigans costing a lot of money and energy that is not focused on education.

Everyone in the admin starting at the Community Relations Coordinator on up earns $100k or better. We don't need all this admin and we can't afford their inflated salaries in the mist of the worst economic downturn since the great depression. We need teachers that know how to teach, and I doubt your one of them.
Resident

Midlothian, IL

#137 Nov 9, 2013
TaxPayer wrote:
Everyone in the admin starting at the Community Relations Coordinator on up earns $100k or better. We don't need all this admin and we can't afford their inflated salaries in the mist of the worst economic downturn since the great depression. We need teachers that know how to teach, and I doubt your one of them.
Which admins should they be cutting? 228 has 9 district admins. For reference, 230 and 218 each have 10 (I'm not counting the dept chairs at 218, which they list as admins.)

D218:
http://chsd218.org/modules/cms/pages.phtml...

D230:
http://d230.org/administration/

So what is it that you want 228 to cut exactly?
Taxpayer

Alsip, IL

#138 Nov 11, 2013
http://bhsd228.schoolwires.net/cms/lib6/IL010...

Pupil to admin ratio shows dist 228 vs. state 119.

Also state average salaries are lower than our administration while the scores as a district are slightly below average.

I don't believe our salaries include the bonuses our admin gets, perhaps you could elaborate on these bonuses.
Taxpayer

Alsip, IL

#139 Nov 11, 2013
My bad...205 vs. 119 is the pupil to admin ratio when comparing the dist vs. state.

ReportCards

Alsip, IL

#140 Nov 12, 2013
Resident

Midlothian, IL

#141 Nov 16, 2013
I don't believe our salaries include the bonuses our admin gets, perhaps you could elaborate on these bonuses.
What bonuses? Those people don't get any "bonuses". This isn't a car dealership.

Also, you still haven't answered my question. Which admins do you think should be cut exactly?
Taxpayer

Alsip, IL

#142 Nov 19, 2013
I was shocked to hear about bonuses myself, I am trying to find out more but the admin isn't very forth coming with regards to it's finances.

http://bhsd228.schoolwires.net/domain/36

To answer your question I would re-evaluate the need for all the Assistant/Associate Principals (three per school?), Deans, Dean's Secretary's, Assistant A/D. How many Deans and Executive Secretaries do we really need ? How many people do we need to operate the Finance Department.

When you consider that the Bremen Township Treasurer has his own staff/office that cost about $800K to handle some of the finances for the township to include payroll, why does 228 need it's own Asst. Superintendent of Finance and three of it's own bookkeepers?? These functions could be combined at significant savings to the district.

The taxpayers also have to pay for the reimbursement of the administrations further education Where they can then leave for another district.

I still have a hard time believing we pay the Superintendent of Teaching/Learning what we do when she totally screwed up the curriculum. Why can't we hire someone that knows something about education in this position?

There is a lot of waste in the 228 admin and before we take out a $34.5 Million loan shouldn't we make sure we're not wasting what money we do have?

My fear is that this admin is going to abandon ship in the next 4-5 years and leave 228 a financial and academic disaster.
Finance Mtg

Alsip, IL

#143 Dec 5, 2013
It looks like 228 has approved a $41Million bond issue. This bond issue was reported to be for the "working cash fund". It seems ironic to see 228 claim that their finances are in good shape and then take out a loan for $34.5 million ($6.5 is a refinance) for working cash ??? They have not publicly stated why we need this money or how they expect to pay it back. At least it will give the treasurer something to do.

It would be good to see this administration spend more effort on education instead of all the overhead used to manage money in a failing district.

Reading the Labor/Management committee summary notes it appears A/Superintendent of Finance T. O'Malley doesn't have to answer to anyone. The arrogance of this administration may prove to be
it's downfall.

In other news Bremen A/D Daigler is leaving. It seems like he was just hired last year. This position seems like a revolving door at Bremen. Perhaps Daigler expects more out of his athletes than others in the admin. Word on the street is the Assistant A/D will get the job.
Another DUI

Alsip, IL

#144 Dec 11, 2013
http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/24298064-52...

Makes me wonder why he left the A/D position at Bremen.
My Opinion

Midlothian, IL

#145 Dec 11, 2013
Another DUI wrote:
http://southtownstar.suntimes. com/24298064-522/hillcrest-hig h-school-drivers-ed-teacher-qu itting-after-dui-charge.html
Makes me wonder why he left the A/D position at Bremen.
Two words can answer that in my opinion.... DAVE KIBELKIS.

The position has been a revolving door since Rybarczyk was promoted to Associate Principal to replace Kibelkis when he was made principal at Tinley for a year before moving back to Bremen to replace Mendenhall as principal. Kibelkis has now been principal since the 2007-08 school year and has been through 3 athletic directors (Vince Kasley, Jim Matlon, and now Mike Daigler) and is now going to be on his 4th on at least an interim basis in less than 7 years as principal. If a different person is hired for next year it will be his 5th in 8 years. Just my opinion but the turnover rate at a position in a District that pays well could have a lot to do with the big boss in the building. Again, just my opinion.
Yesser

Midlothian, IL

#146 Dec 12, 2013
100 percent correct..well over 15 employees with hundreds of years of experience have directly left because of you know who..pull up the state report card and read the teachers answers about him...u might find it interesting.
Do tell

Blue Island, IL

#147 Dec 12, 2013
Yesser wrote:
100 percent correct..well over 15 employees with hundreds of years of experience have directly left because of you know who..pull up the state report card and read the teachers answers about him...u might find it interesting.
Can you post a link or copy and paste the answers?
Yesser

Midlothian, IL

#148 Dec 13, 2013
http://iirc.niu.edu/Documents/surveyoflearnin...

Over half the staff disagrees strongly...not good

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Concerned Citizens 10 min digger_70 2
Stevo at the City Council meeting 40 min Clown control 3
Any Experiences With Former Blue Island Police ... 44 min mud wallering 9
Frances Street 1 hr Vote 13
Blue Islands Information Signage 2 hr oh my goodness 20
How can TJ Somers be allowed to run his private... (Sep '11) 3 hr Innocent Bystander 17
Ralph the ex-Heights fireman 6 hr digger_70 15

Dixmoor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dixmoor Mortgages