What's happening in 228?
Class Act

Alsip, IL

#107 Aug 22, 2013
A big problem with D228 curriculum changes has as much to do with how Kendall/Williams dumped it on us. They sought no public input and a lot of good teachers headed for the door as the admin saw no need to work with the teachers on improving the district. That seems to me to be very arrogant. The teachers are dealing with these kids every day, why would you not work hand in hand with them when deciding on these changes. They are also pushing kids into AP courses regardless of teacher input. Teachers used to have more of a say on what students were ready for AP classes, now the admin is pushing kids into classes they are not ready for. This holds the entire class back and hurts the kids that are ready to move forward. These classes are now over crowded.

In implementing these changes they thew earlier practices out the window along with ignoring current policies in the curriculum handbook. They are hell bent on pushing this plan through regardless of the scores go lower and lower. And what about the kids that were successful with the old curriculum and are now not allowed to follow their plan any longer, are they just collateral damage. Williams is using our kids to make a name for herself at many students expense. That is arrogance run a muck.

I have heard of school boards where they have students on the school board in some capacity. If 228 would do this they would get real time feedback on their changes and could adjust as needed. But these folks that have been on this board too long are more worried about the Treasures office and patronage and politics, and the kids be DAMNED.

BTTS just gave the Treasurer (an office we don't need, Orland got rid of theirs) a big raise, but money for real education can't be found.
Board Minutes

Alsip, IL

#108 Aug 23, 2013
http://bhsd228.schoolwires.net/cms/lib6/IL010...

Once again Mayor Rybak is absent...
WSJ

Alsip, IL

#110 Aug 27, 2013
Biggest Changes in a Decade Greet Students in Classroom
By Stephanie Banchero and Arian Campo-Flores
8/27/2013
The Wall Street Journal
English
(Copyright (c) 2013, Dow Jones & Company, Inc.)
Millions of students heading back to school are finding significant changes in the curriculum and battles over how teachers are evaluated, as the biggest revamps of U.S. public education in a decade work their way into classrooms.
Most states are implementing tougher math and reading standards known as Common Core, while teacher evaluations increasingly are linked to student test scores or other measures of achievement. Meantime, traditional public schools face unprecedented competition from charter and private schools.
Supporters say the overhauls will help make U.S. students more competitive with pupils abroad. But others worry that the sheer volume and far-reaching nature of the new policies is too much, too fast. Already, the changes have sparked pushback.
North Carolina teachers marched on the state capitol last month to protest lawmakers' efforts to end automatic pay increases for teachers who obtain master's degrees and plans to let children use tax dollars to attend private schools. In Texas, the birthplace of the student-testing movement, parents prodded legislators to scale back standardized testing of high schoolers. And some Indiana school boards passed resolutions opposing the state's policy of giving schools letter grades from A to F after media reports showed officials tinkered with the formula in part to boost a charter school's grade.
"This is the huge fulcrum moment for many of the reforms," said Rick Hess, director of education policy studies at the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative Washington think tank. "It's a lot messier than some might have thought."
Randi Weingarten, head of the American Federation of Teachers, the nation's second largest teachers union, predicted more turmoil as many states plan to roll out tougher standardized exams in 2015. Already, she said, the country has a "dispirited and demoralized teaching force at the very moment you need them to be at the top of their game."
The last few years have seen dramatic changes in the U.S. education system, chiefly spurred by Republican governors and President Barack Obama. The president's Race to the Top education initiative offered $4.35 billion to cash-starved states to adopt policies such as linking test scores to teacher evaluations and expanding charter schools, which are public schools run by outside groups.
Meantime, 45 states and the District of Columbia have adopted the Common Core math and language-arts standards, which lay out what students should know at each grade level.
More than 40 states have agreed to link teacher evaluations to test scores or other student-achievement measures, and four plan to rescind the licenses of some teachers who fail to make the grade.
Moreover, 14 states have passed laws allowing more charter schools and at least eight adopted or expanded voucher programs that let students use tax money for private schools. The number of charter schools grew to 5,997 last school year from 2,559 in the 2002-2003 year.
Now, many of these policies are taking root in the most striking remake of public education since President George W. Bush's No Child Left Behind, a bipartisan 2002 law that forces states to test students annually in math and reading and sanctions schools that fail to measure up.
Many of the current overhauls also shared rare bipartisan support and the blessing of some teacher unions when they were adopted. Ms. Weingarten, for example, has been one of the biggest champions of Common Core.
WSJ

Alsip, IL

#111 Aug 27, 2013
2nd page...

But similar to the history of No Child Left Behind, the cohesion is fraying as implementation kicks in. Common Core has come under attack from Tea Party activists who see it as an intrusion into states' rights. They helped convince at least three states to back out of the common exams linked to standards. And Ms. Weingarten helped pressure Education Secretary Arne Duncan to offer states a one-year reprieve on linking test results to teacher personnel decisions.
Mr. Duncan in an interview said that implementing the new education policies can be "challenging, complex and messy" and that he expects to see "midcourse corrections" along the way.
Chris Knez, a fifth-grade teacher in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools in North Carolina, received specialized training in his previous school district in Common Core math concepts. That helped him teach his students higher-level skills, such as understanding the process of converting mixed numbers to fractions. Still, he worries the new Common Core exams won't perfectly align with the standards, yet the results will be used against teachers. "You can't pin so many consequences on something that seems to have such a shaky grounding in the first place," he said.
In the Comsewogue School District on Long Island, N.Y., hundreds of parents, teachers and others rallied this month to criticize the state's new and more rigorous exams. About 31% of New York state elementary students were deemed proficient in math and reading this year, down from 65% in math and 55% in English on the 2012 exams.
The blowback has been especially rancorous in Florida, a state long at the forefront of reshaping education. Parents opposed to some of the changes have formed organizations, testified at legislative hearings and mounted social-media campaigns, helping torpedo a "parent trigger" bill that would have allowed parents to demand changes at struggling schools. The parents groups saw the bill as paving the way for more charter schools.
In May 2012, the Florida Board of Education acquiesced to widespread outcry and lowered the passing score on the state's standardized writing exam after a plunge in the number of students scoring at the proficient level. And last month, the state board voted to tinker with the A-to-F school-grading system to prevent schools from dropping by more than one letter grade.
Such modifications have "led to a lack of trust in this whole reform agenda," said Kathleen Oropeza, who has two kids in public school in Orlando and co-founded a parents group called FundEducationNow.org .
But Patricia Levesque, chief executive of the Foundation for Excellence in Education, defends Florida's standards. She said it is "really important for those of us who believe in high standards and accountability to do a better job of explaining what's really occurring."
BoardMeeting

Alsip, IL

#112 Sep 19, 2013

Once again Mayor Rybak is absent...
FinanceMtg

Alsip, IL

#113 Sep 19, 2013

Legal Budget...

Here the "committee asked a number of questions pertaining to fund balances and future finances..."

These minutes tell us nothing, just as the the powers that be like.
TLMtg

Alsip, IL

#114 Sep 19, 2013

AP report.

The numbers look impressive at first glance but really the biggest gain here is for College Board as they get about $80 a test. Sometimes I wonder if that's not the idea behind pushing these AP tests....make College Board rich...er
EnglishClass

Alsip, IL

#115 Sep 23, 2013
Last week Bremen had a substitute teacher that was talking to the girls in the class with a disturbing lack of respect. The students reported his actions to the powers that be and word is he won't teach that class again. Parents should be aware of this issue as it is not an isolated incident. There is a video of another incident at Bremen of a sub acting badly. These types of reports make us think D228 does not respect our kids.

Smartphones in class may disclose much that is wrong with this district.
Current Events

United States

#116 Sep 24, 2013
I think it shows just the opposite. The issue with the first sub was brought to their attention and they removed him, same thing with this one. Yes, it would be great if these people didn't get in, but you can't always tell who the crazy ones are.
EnglishClass wrote:
Last week Bremen had a substitute teacher that was talking to the girls in the class with a disturbing lack of respect. The students reported his actions to the powers that be and word is he won't teach that class again. Parents should be aware of this issue as it is not an isolated incident. There is a video of another incident at Bremen of a sub acting badly. These types of reports make us think D228 does not respect our kids.
why

Chicago, IL

#117 Sep 24, 2013
EnglishClass wrote:

Smartphones in Class??? If they are allowing students to have any kind of phone in class, then that in itself is a problem.

Students are there to pay attention and learn. Not to tweet and check text messages!

If you think it's ok to have phones in class, then don't ever complain about the quality of education your child is getting.
Not trying to be mean

Blue Island, IL

#118 Sep 24, 2013
why wrote:
<quoted text>
Smartphones in Class??? If they are allowing students to have any kind of phone in class, then that in itself is a problem.
Students are there to pay attention and learn. Not to tweet and check text messages!
If you think it's ok to have phones in class, then don't ever complain about the quality of education your child is getting.
Just how long have you been living under a rock?
I_Phone

Alsip, IL

#119 Sep 24, 2013
The board recently voted on a relaxed cell phone policy.
EnglishClass

Alsip, IL

#120 Sep 24, 2013
Current Events wrote:
I think it shows just the opposite. The issue with the first sub was brought to their attention and they removed him, same thing with this one. Yes, it would be great if these people didn't get in, but you can't always tell who the crazy ones are.
<quoted text>
The report I received said the school tried to buy off the kid with a gift card. I wouldn't call that being respectful. Who interviews these "crazy subs" any way ???
Cell phones

Oak Forest, IL

#121 Sep 25, 2013
I don't agree with students having their phones on their person during class. Why not leave them in the locker until after school, etc?

I graduated somewhere in the realm of just over 11 yrs ago from 228. There were a decent amount of students who had phones then. They were certainly not allowed in class, even if turned off.

I took a quick look and it seems that students are allowed to use the phones in class to look-up items, or play music during individual learning time? They are then also expected to keep them silenced/off in their pocket/bag during instructional times in class?

Granted phones are now basically computers, and do provide useful tools, laptops or cd players/radios weren't allowed in class.

Did I get the idea of what the policy is? Can anyone provide a link to meeting minutes or a written copy of the policy on the district site?

After considering common arguments citing Columbine type scenarios and even 9/11 (which were present during my years in 228), It seems too great of a temptation, and possibly furthers academic malfeasance and causes discipline issues. Put the darn thing down for 7hrs of your day.
I_Phone

Alsip, IL

#122 Sep 25, 2013
I don't have time to find it however the board recently posted their emails (finally) online @
http://bhsd228.schoolwires.net/Page/146 . I would email Kirkton he's the president. Also I thought I read Canning was the lone dissenter to approving this change, perhaps he could elaborate on it also.
Fact

United States

#123 Sep 26, 2013
Do any of you have children in school! The smartphones are used in many classes; not for texting but as part of the lesson. This generation has grown up using technology, things like this help keep them interested.
I_Phone wrote:
The board recently voted on a relaxed cell phone policy.
Current Events

United States

#124 Sep 26, 2013
I heard something different. The school may reward kids with gift cards for different things, such as reporting a bullying situation, kid with drugs, etc.
EnglishClass wrote:
<quoted text>
The report I received said the school tried to buy off the kid with a gift card. I wouldn't call that being respectful. Who interviews these "crazy subs" any way ???
I_Phone

Alsip, IL

#125 Sep 26, 2013
So what is the process for a "Crazy Sub" to access a Bremen classroom and insult our kids? I want to know who interviewed these substitutes. Also does any admin visit these subs during the class?
Hypocrisy

Alsip, IL

#127 Sep 26, 2013
http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/opinions/20...

http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/news/200893...

Mayor Rybak was forced to step down as a result of citizen complaints to the Attorney General's office. Even though it was common knowledge and publicized in newspapers she still had the hubris to stay on the board. People need to get involved and file complaints to every office that has an email if they want change. These boards and local government bodies control millions of dollars with little or no oversight.
haha

Loganville, GA

#128 Sep 26, 2013
Hypocrisy wrote:
http://southtownstar.suntimes. com/opinions/20256706-474/our- view-new-mayor-must-quit-schoo l-board.html

http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/news/200893...

Mayor Rybak was forced to step down as a result of citizen complaints to the Attorney General's office. Even though it was common knowledge and publicized in newspapers she still had the hubris to stay on the board. People need to get involved and file complaints to every office that has an email if they want change. These boards and local government bodies control millions of dollars with little or no oversight.
LOL. You guys will stop at nothing! The attorney general did NOT make her step down. Get over your loss now please.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dolton city sticker tickets given on private pr... (Jul '10) 5 min Resident 9
Will the Real Robert Rita Please Stand Up (Jan '16) 4 hr Change is needed 37
Oak Forest officials discuss video gambling reg... 4 hr Resident Confucious 2
Review; Jimmy's Gentlemen's Club (Jul '14) 5 hr Lol 24
svsa baseball field sex 9 hr Beefup 5
Mayor Gonzalez - 4 more years! (Jan '15) 9 hr Chapo 23
News 15 Wounded In Tuesday Shootings Across Chicago 10 hr BirF Control 3

Dixmoor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance