Anonymous

Midlothian, IL

#85 Aug 16, 2013
P.S. After reading newest comment from "Current Events," part of the struggle of "recording" a meeting on a regular basis stems from transmission/distribution/stor age issues that never come with simple, 100% guaranteed connection of materials.

For example, what is the difference between someone being able to DVR a meeting as they can with XFinity while AT&T will not permit recording of the government channel? If the governing body is doing their part of broadcasting the material in some manner, who is to be held accountable for lack of distribution?

Now while AT&T is quite lousy for locking down public domain content (its a very questionable act), but what of those who have tried to store a home video on their computer? One hour of movie can eat up a gig of drive and despite expansion into 100gig+ drives, eventually even services such as YouTube would be looking at disturbing logistics to consistently store and broadcast all public domain audio/video materials from all local governments...

Which is the ideal objective...?
Class Act

Midlothian, IL

#86 Aug 16, 2013
Last year after the first semester we inquired if AP chem was running and were told many conflicting answers. "it is running, it is not running , it might run if enough kids signed up, and then it's not running anywhere in the district". Then we had kids called down to the IMC where two unnamed interns tried to bully kids into taking a Physics First curriculum class, AP physics...we don't want to waste any more of our time on this curriculum. I believe any self-respecting school district would have an AP chem course that all kids in the district would be allowed to take.

This district is implementing a Physics First curriculum with little fan fare. Dr Williams graduated out of Aurora U. as did Kendall and they are working to push this curriculum as it is a pet project of Aurora U. and Illinois Math and Science Academy (IMSA) They are using our district to test their theories on this curriculum. But I don't hear them talk about it much. When Kendall and Williams get in our way ( by forcing our kids into a class they don't want ) of educating our kids to pad their resume with those in Aurora, Il. we will stand our ground.

As for common Core it is a federal program were the Gates Foundation along with many others (Governor's Association) are advocating the entire country be educated to a similar level knowing similar criteria. I would like to hear what 228 admin has to say about this. Are we above or below level in regards to (common core) the rest of the country.

just google "what is common core" you should get all kinds of hits...
ofcl

United States

#87 Aug 17, 2013
Class Act wrote:
Last year after the first semester we inquired if AP chem was running and were told many conflicting answers. "it is running, it is not running , it might run if enough kids signed up, and then it's not running anywhere in the district". Then we had kids called down to the IMC where two unnamed interns tried to bully kids into taking a Physics First curriculum class, AP physics...we don't want to waste any more of our time on this curriculum. I believe any self-respecting school district would have an AP chem course that all kids in the district would be allowed to take.

This district is implementing a Physics First curriculum with little fan fare. Dr Williams graduated out of Aurora U. as did Kendall and they are working to push this curriculum as it is a pet project of Aurora U. and Illinois Math and Science Academy (IMSA) They are using our district to test their theories on this curriculum. But I don't hear them talk about it much. When Kendall and Williams get in our way ( by forcing our kids into a class they don't want ) of educating our kids to pad their resume with those in Aurora, Il. we will stand our ground.

As for common Core it is a federal program were the Gates Foundation along with many others (Governor's Association) are advocating the entire country be educated to a similar level knowing similar criteria. I would like to hear what 228 admin has to say about this. Are we above or below level in regards to (common core) the rest of the country.

Aurora University is a glorified high school
Current Events

United States

#88 Aug 17, 2013
You are absolutely right. We do have a tv production program in the district. I have seen the program on cable. The kids do a good job. Which makes it even more curious that they don't tape the meetings.
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Not everyone's employment schedule accommodates the scheduling of public meetings, public hearings etc. In fact, someone was video taping Midlothian's board meeting this past Wednesday but I haven't seen it on the Internet yet, but it would definitely be a first for the Village.
In my public school system far, far away and 20+ years ago, we had a strong A/V Club and along with other community-based programs encouraging recording and broadcasting, I was busy writing scripts, acting, directing, editing, etc. by the time I was a tween (7th and 8th grade).
I've been beside myself with wonderment why the student's at the local high schools haven't been invited to participate in producing this type of content for broadcast purposes. Whether its simple college/work resume credit or perhaps some measure of grade on a report card, each community has different learning opportunities.
For example, Oak Forest runs 2 channels while Robbins runs 3 and Midlothian can claim at least 2 I am aware of. The idea of a group of high school students being cut loose and along with adult supervision, being the human beings who then provide a critical connection currently dismissed for a variety of reasons can fill empty air space in Midlothian, for example.
Whether its dollars or logistical sense, it costs virtually nothing for someone to record these meetings. Troubles can quickly grow from storage...but can't that be a worry for the youth to figure out, right?
of parent

United States

#89 Aug 17, 2013
ofcl wrote:
<quoted text>Aurora University is a glorified high school
Yes, wouldn't send my dog to that school. Couple hundred kids playing D3 sports You know- the kids that cant move on from high school sports- think they are athletes but real schools didn't make them offers
I know several that were not good in high school but play at aurora. Officially they are given an academic scholarship but Nobody would go there if wasn't for sports. Not known for academics.
Current Events

United States

#90 Aug 17, 2013
So they didn't offer AP Chem? I could understand if you said they didn't have it in each building because of lack of interest, but it isn't ok if they didn't offer it at all. I remember hearing about some kid that they were sending someplace else because he was a genius and had gone through all the math they could offer him. If your child was able to take AP Chem and denied that us wrong. What else did they take to fill the requirement for graduation?

I think I understand now regarding Common Core, you want to know if they agree or disagree with it. Interesting. What is your opinion? I'm not sure how exactly I feel about it. I'm not happy with the government and what they did with NCLB. In my opinion, schools dumbed down their programs. Everything changed. It was all about the kids that was floundering and the advanced kids were tossed aside. Not that kids shouldn't get more help if needed but not at the risk of stifling others. You know what I mean?
Class Act wrote:
Class Act

Midlothian, IL

#92 Aug 17, 2013
If I want a class and it's only running at TPHS and I attend another school in the district, should I be able to take that class?(like the curriculum book says?)

If a student seeks an AP class other than AP physics why bully them into your test course?(AP physics) Is this in the student's interest ? NO It's in the interest of self-serving educators looking for students to fill their data set.
Current Events

Oak Forest, IL

#93 Aug 19, 2013
You absolutely should be able to take the class. So they didn't let your child? That's crazy and I understand now. I'm sorry it took me awhile. How did that end up? Which class did your child take? I don't like that there isn't parent involvement when courses are selected. I have had to make an appointment to change my child courses and they were very accommodating. Just think it would be easier if they had a parent sign off on it. Would have saved us all some time. I don't understand why the school would care if your child took one over the other, like I said, unless it is a sequence issue, which doesn't seem to be the issue here. Do you mind if I ask which school this is? Is it possible, while not an excuse for "bullying", that the school wanted to host the class and wanted to ensure they had the numbers to do so?
I don't understand your comment about AP Physics being a "test" course though. All AP classes, you can say, were "test" courses at one time or another. I am glad that they offer so many AP courses. I thought you did not agree with the switch to taking Physics before Biology, not the AP course. What reasoning did the school try to use?
Class Act wrote:
If I want a class and it's only running at TPHS and I attend another school in the district, should I be able to take that class?(like the curriculum book says?)
If a student seeks an AP class other than AP physics why bully them into your test course?(AP physics) Is this in the student's interest ? NO It's in the interest of self-serving educators looking for students to fill their data set.
Current Events

Oak Forest, IL

#94 Aug 19, 2013
Class Act - if you had this issue, wondering how many others may have too. Have you spoken to the board about it? I wonder if they always here from the admin about what's going on.
TL committee

Midlothian, IL

#95 Aug 19, 2013
http://bhsd228.schoolwires.net/cms/lib6/IL010...

Not only does TPHS get the only AP chem course Ms. Williams just gave them a couple of more sections, while Bremen can't even get an AP chem...we have no representation on this board...Why isn't Mayor Rybak standing up for her alma mater.

Why doesn't this admin inform the people of this teacher evaluation procedures ?

We are paying the bills, the least they can do is tell us what we're paying for.

Who evaluates the administration? I would dismiss some of them for their arrogance alone.
Current Events

Oak Forest, IL

#96 Aug 19, 2013
How many students does Bremen have for the class? You can't say TPHS has the only class because any student from the district can take it. Maybe Rybak is too busy? What about Gleason? Thought she was from their too? Have you contacted any of them?

There hasn't been information about the evaluation process you are right. From what I heard they are working it out now. Regarding the administration are you talking school or ad center? I don't think it matters, it is probably the superintendent. Really sounds like you need to reach out to the superintendent or the board.
TL committee wrote:
http://bhsd228.schoolwires.net /cms/lib6/IL01001099/Centricit y/Domain/18/Minutes%20from%208 -13-13.pdf
Not only does TPHS get the only AP chem course Ms. Williams just gave them a couple of more sections, while Bremen can't even get an AP chem...we have no representation on this board...Why isn't Mayor Rybak standing up for her alma mater.
Why doesn't this admin inform the people of this teacher evaluation procedures ?
We are paying the bills, the least they can do is tell us what we're paying for.
Who evaluates the administration? I would dismiss some of them for their arrogance alone.
TL committee

Midlothian, IL

#97 Aug 19, 2013
Between Bremen and OFHS they had 15 kids. TPHS is not accepting any kids to their AP chem class or so the admin told me. They seem to have given up on Bremen. 15 kids justifies a class from what I hear. But they are pushing Physics First and are going to fill this class at all costs. AP physics needed these kids, not just for the numbers but they were good academically. The stats for 228 and more so Bremen do not seem to be going up. This reflects poorly on the Physics First program.
ClassAct

Midlothian, IL

#98 Aug 19, 2013
http://osd.wednet.edu/community/community

This looks like a good school web site.
Current Events

United States

#99 Aug 20, 2013
But one is not the same as the other. Physics First is a freshman level class. I doubt the numbers would be in for that though. When you posted about this soma time ago. I did ask if they had data to prove that this was beneficial. I don't recall the numbers given to me, but they said it had been tested at TPHS for like 6 years so that they could ensure it did what they had hoped; allow students to grasp later concepts easier.
TL committee wrote:
Between Bremen and OFHS they had 15 kids. TPHS is not accepting any kids to their AP chem class or so the admin told me. They seem to have given up on Bremen. 15 kids justifies a class from what I hear. But they are pushing Physics First and are going to fill this class at all costs. AP physics needed these kids, not just for the numbers but they were good academically. The stats for 228 and more so Bremen do not seem to be going up. This reflects poorly on the Physics First program.
ClassAct

Midlothian, IL

#101 Aug 20, 2013
I believe it was AP physics B. It's a part of their Physics First curriculum and I'm told every school has one of these classes. This program came from Dr. Williams dissertation on TPHS I did read it and it was not very convincing. But again the folks that evaluated it at Aurora U. work with IMSA and this is their project ( It's almost a religious movement). Yes IMSA has quite a reputation but you never hear the whole story unless you talk to the students. TPHS report card does not show this has worked their. Also this is a diverse district we are not Naperville (A lot of the kids at IMSA are from Naperville) Naperville has excellent feeder schools. This program Williams is running has our own teachers writing this course as there were no text books for this course. they won a grant and gave the money to Aurora U. to train our teachers. This is how I understand it. D228 lack of community info doesn't help. From what I understand Gleason pushed for federal funds used to improve the low income areas to accommodate the Williams plan. If this info is not correct I haven't heard any other reason for the canceling of the very successful courses they used to have for incoming freshmen.
First Day

Midlothian, IL

#102 Aug 21, 2013
Early reports on Bremen's classes say they are crowded. Over crowded classes area a factor in low scores. Once again it appears Kendall and Co have no regard for the kids in this school.
Animal

Midlothian, IL

#103 Aug 21, 2013
First Day wrote:
Early reports on Bremen's classes say they are crowded. Over crowded classes area a factor in low scores. Once again it appears Kendall and Co have no regard for the kids in this school.
What they need to do is get a handle on those animals that walk the halls .
Current Events

United States

#104 Aug 21, 2013
I don't know why we started this program but it does seem that it goes beyond Dr. Williams and AU. There seems to have been calls to reform the Science curriculum across the country due to the fact that our students fail miserably compared to international students. A Physics First program is also pushed by Fermi Lab and has been since 1998. According to them it allows for a more thorough chemistry education because the teacher doesn't have to incorporate physics into the lessons. The American Association of Physics Teachers, the American Physical Society, Cornell University and many more support it too. It seems a lot of schools have implemented this since the turn of the century, private schools even earlier. I don't understand your comment that this isn't Naperville, are you suggesting that our kids can't handle the rigorous curriculum those in Naperville can? I haven't checked all the neighboring districts, but Argo is one that follows this as well. They aren't Naperville either. After seeing how long this has been around I am now questioning what took us so long.
ClassAct wrote:
I believe it was AP physics B. It's a part of their Physics First curriculum and I'm told every school has one of these classes. This program came from Dr. Williams dissertation on TPHS I did read it and it was not very convincing. But again the folks that evaluated it at Aurora U. work with IMSA and this is their project ( It's almost a religious movement). Yes IMSA has quite a reputation but you never hear the whole story unless you talk to the students. TPHS report card does not show this has worked their. Also this is a diverse district we are not Naperville (A lot of the kids at IMSA are from Naperville) Naperville has excellent feeder schools. This program Williams is running has our own teachers writing this course as there were no text books for this course. they won a grant and gave the money to Aurora U. to train our teachers. This is how I understand it. D228 lack of community info doesn't help. From what I understand Gleason pushed for federal funds used to improve the low income areas to accommodate the Williams plan. If this info is not correct I haven't heard any other reason for the canceling of the very successful courses they used to have for incoming freshmen.
Class Act

Midlothian, IL

#105 Aug 21, 2013
Fermi Lab is out west like the other places (AU IMSA), these are all the same folks. You seem to have a better pitch for this program than this admin. The latest call for change nationwide is STEM not Physics First. Like you said this has been going on for maybe a hundred years. I haven't checked ARGO they never cited it when I asked. I have been told that Naperville kids can actually take an Calc III class in their high school. Bremen didn't even run a Calc class last year...We are not on the same level as Naperville by any means, the income level alone is a bridge too far. We have to admit THAT if we want have an honest conversation. With this world changing so fast this program seems about thirty years too late. The admin is being led by Dr. williams , I believe she wants this to work but she needs to respect the community and get feedback from the parents and students which should be considered in this huge change in the curriculum.

I heard an interview on the radio today that said the biggest factor in educating kids was great teachers from great universities. Apparently that's what Finland did and they're No. 1.... link:http://www.theworld.org/2 013/08/schooling-finland-south -korea-poland/
Class Act

Midlothian, IL

#106 Aug 21, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 15 min KiMare 49,843
Blue Island water bills. 4 hr harvey 20
Time to sock retired city workers 4 hr Really 37
B.I.P.D. needs leadership now 4 hr Who Cares 41
Obey Mike Davies (May '11) 4 hr true_I want to know 11
crestwood 5 hr question 1
Will Davies resign tonite or will he try to han... (Jul '13) 5 hr Really wondering 62
•••
•••
•••

Dixmoor Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Dixmoor People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Dixmoor News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Dixmoor