What's happening in 228?
finance minutes

Alsip, IL

#63 Aug 1, 2013
TeachingLearning

Alsip, IL

#64 Aug 1, 2013
http://bhsd228.schoolwires.net/cms/lib6/IL010...
Sharon can't make this one ...but it does seem crowded with Mr. Canning and Mr. Williams present. Nice to see the interest.
http://www.edgenuity.com/Curriculum-Research
Edgenuity looks like a big deal....
It would be nice to see the Super let the community know what 228 is up to.
SirKenRobinson

Alsip, IL

#65 Aug 1, 2013
SirKenRobinson

Alsip, IL

#66 Aug 2, 2013
ChildHoodCreativ ity

Alsip, IL

#67 Aug 3, 2013
D228ReportCard

Alsip, IL

#68 Aug 4, 2013
D228ReportCard

Alsip, IL

#69 Aug 4, 2013
The states report card...

http://webprod.isbe.net/ereportcard/publicsit...

The written portion of the ACT is no longer part of the states ACT test. This was due to budget cuts.
Current Events

Forest Park, IL

#70 Aug 6, 2013
The reason there are committee meetings and board meetings is so that the community knows what's going on. They hold these and apparently post this information, if you want to know something else why don't you attend a meeting and ask.
TeachingLearning wrote:
http://bhsd228.schoolwires.net /cms/lib6/IL01001099/Centricit y/Domain/18/Minutes%20from%207 -9-13.pdf
Sharon can't make this one ...but it does seem crowded with Mr. Canning and Mr. Williams present. Nice to see the interest.
http://www.edgenuity.com/Curriculum-Research
Edgenuity looks like a big deal....
It would be nice to see the Super let the community know what 228 is up to.
PSA

Alsip, IL

#73 Aug 7, 2013
Current Events wrote:
The reason there are committee meetings and board meetings is so that the community knows what's going on. They hold these and apparently post this information, if you want to know something else why don't you attend a meeting and ask.
<quoted text>
Thank you for your reply. I myself work for a living and cannot make these meetings. Many people cannot find these obscure minutes ans so I make it easy for them by posting them here. It would be nice if the minutes contained more actual dialog but I found 228 restricts as much real info as they can. Like what are their plans moving forward with Physics First and Common Core, are we looking at STEM curricula? Parents would like to know more about what's going on in their kids school but don't have the time. Let me apologize in advance if this upsets you.
PSA

Alsip, IL

#74 Aug 9, 2013
228 updates it's policy in regards to "Communication With the Public".

Makes me wonder why they post their emails online if you have to drive to a high school and sit through their dog and pony show just to ask a simple question. This doesn't strike me as a way to improve communication.
Buddha

Alsip, IL

#75 Aug 10, 2013
BELIEVE NOTHING, No matter where you read it or who said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
Current Events

Forest Park, IL

#76 Aug 12, 2013
You don't have to "sit through their dog and pony show just to ask a simple question". It states if you want to speak during a meeting they request you fill out a paper. Doesn't stop you from emailing or calling anyone.
PSA wrote:
228 updates it's policy in regards to "Communication With the Public".
Makes me wonder why they post their emails online if you have to drive to a high school and sit through their dog and pony show just to ask a simple question. This doesn't strike me as a way to improve communication.
Current Events

Forest Park, IL

#77 Aug 12, 2013
You didn't upset me, thanks for the concern. I have no difficulty finding the minutes, the link is on the home page.

As for the minutes being a summary and not verbatim, if you were to look at other minutes you might be surprised to find they are recorded the same way, say your elementary district, community college, village.

What are you looking for in regards to plans for Physics First and Common Core?
PSA wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your reply. I myself work for a living and cannot make these meetings. Many people cannot find these obscure minutes ans so I make it easy for them by posting them here. It would be nice if the minutes contained more actual dialog but I found 228 restricts as much real info as they can. Like what are their plans moving forward with Physics First and Common Core, are we looking at STEM curricula? Parents would like to know more about what's going on in their kids school but don't have the time. Let me apologize in advance if this upsets you.
Class Act

Alsip, IL

#78 Aug 12, 2013
I emailed the admin in regards to AP classes running and they did not respond. I filed a FOIA and it had conflicts from what I was promised would run after I filed a grievance last February. I again emailed them and they did not respond. These are the professionals that run 228.

Is the Physics First improving our scores...It seems AP classes are suffering as a result of this program. They need kids to take their physics course so they cancel AP chem. Is there any other district that will not be running an AP Chem course???

What is this admins/board position on Common Core. How will it effect our English dept. I've heard it said it may cause school districts to drop the classics as Common Core requires more writing in line with technical manuals.

Also the minutes from 228 are skimpy compared to the BTTS and Midlo village minutes.
Questions

Alsip, IL

#79 Aug 15, 2013
Should any student in BHSD 228 be denied access to any resource within BHSD 228 ?

Why did BHSD 228 administration allow two interns to bully students into a physics course they did not want ??

...and why was I not allowed to talk to them ???

Why does this Board not follow their own Board of Education Manual 2.70 Item 9. "Acceptance of a second incompatible public office" ?
{Because I am holding a letter from AG Madigan's office that says they are in fact incompatible ???}

Can this board fail to follow it's own policies with impunity ???

I'm just wondering....
Butt out

Midlothian, IL

#80 Aug 16, 2013
Questions wrote:
Should any student in BHSD 228 be denied access to any resource within BHSD 228 ?
Why did BHSD 228 administration allow two interns to bully students into a physics course they did not want ??
Why does this Board not follow their own Board of Education Manual 2.70 Item 9. "Acceptance of a second incompatible public office" ?
{Because I am holding a letter from AG Madigan's office that says they are in fact incompatible ???}
I'm just wondering....
What do you mean by bully maybe encourage is a better word.Kids need to be pushed their young minds are capable of things beyond their realm parents should butt out when their students reach high school.
Current Events

Forest Park, IL

#81 Aug 16, 2013
I'm not sure i understand your first couple of sentences. Are you saying that you were told a class would be offered and it was not? You inquired in Feb what would be offered the following year? You state that AP Chem was cancelled, according to their class offerings, AP Chem has been offered for the last four years. Do all districts offer AP Chem?
In regards to Common Core, please expand. It is my understanding that this is something they must comply with per the State. According to the State's site, this requirement will determine what they teach, so if there is any "dropping the classics" would this not be State's fault? I was unable to find anything on the State's site that indicated that Common Core would require writing more "in line with technical manuals" however it did say that it would place emphasis on real world situations that enable students to learn skills that can be used in the workplace as well as in higher education.
Class Act wrote:
I emailed the admin in regards to AP classes running and they did not respond. I filed a FOIA and it had conflicts from what I was promised would run after I filed a grievance last February. I again emailed them and they did not respond. These are the professionals that run 228.
Is the Physics First improving our scores...It seems AP classes are suffering as a result of this program. They need kids to take their physics course so they cancel AP chem. Is there any other district that will not be running an AP Chem course???
What is this admins/board position on Common Core. How will it effect our English dept. I've heard it said it may cause school districts to drop the classics as Common Core requires more writing in line with technical manuals.
Also the minutes from 228 are skimpy compared to the BTTS and Midlo village minutes.
Current Events

Forest Park, IL

#82 Aug 16, 2013
You know, it would be nice if the meetings were taped and put on cable like other meetings are. At least the regular meetings, if not the committee meetings. I asked the one lady about this sometime ago and she said she was for it but others weren't. I always wondered about that. Have you asked about that? Are the BTTS meetings taped?
PSA wrote:
<quoted text>
Anonymous

Blue Island, IL

#83 Aug 16, 2013
Current Events wrote:
<quoted text>
Not everyone's employment schedule accommodates the scheduling of public meetings, public hearings etc. In fact, someone was video taping Midlothian's board meeting this past Wednesday but I haven't seen it on the Internet yet, but it would definitely be a first for the Village.

In my public school system far, far away and 20+ years ago, we had a strong A/V Club and along with other community-based programs encouraging recording and broadcasting, I was busy writing scripts, acting, directing, editing, etc. by the time I was a tween (7th and 8th grade).

I've been beside myself with wonderment why the student's at the local high schools haven't been invited to participate in producing this type of content for broadcast purposes. Whether its simple college/work resume credit or perhaps some measure of grade on a report card, each community has different learning opportunities.

For example, Oak Forest runs 2 channels while Robbins runs 3 and Midlothian can claim at least 2 I am aware of. The idea of a group of high school students being cut loose and along with adult supervision, being the human beings who then provide a critical connection currently dismissed for a variety of reasons can fill empty air space in Midlothian, for example.

Whether its dollars or logistical sense, it costs virtually nothing for someone to record these meetings. Troubles can quickly grow from storage...but can't that be a worry for the youth to figure out, right?
Current Events

Forest Park, IL

#84 Aug 16, 2013
I apologize, I don't understand. "Denied access to any resource within BHSD 228" does this mean they wanted access to the pool and were denied? Wanted to use a computer in the IMC? Does this have something to do with your next statement regarding interns? I wasn't aware they used interns. In what way do they use them? Where are they from?
If the class sequence requires physics why would a student not be expected to take the class? I don't know if you can classify that as bullying. I did not expect my child to take Algebra 2 ahead of Geometry. This would be no different than the sequence in any other discipline, would it? Am I understanding you correctly?
Who were you not allowed to speak to? The interns or your student? I had an opportunity to speak to a counselor, I called and made an appointment. My child informed me they requested an elective I did not want them to take. It was fixed rather easily.
Have you directed any of your comments regarding Policy to the Board? I know you said you work, therefore are unable to attend meetings, but you could email the president and ask. Would be interesting actually to see if you receive a response.
Questions wrote:
I'm just wondering....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Punk hangouts 32 min Dopey Lobes 1
School board meeting 4/20/17 (Apr '17) 3 hr ManHole Rham 48
Harvey Trailer park shooting (Sep '08) 4 hr Harveys a funny name 27
Crestwood Soccer Club Bans 12 Year Old Honor St... (Apr '11) 4 hr Scoots94 19
Antonio Manrique - $1 Million Dollar Settlement. (Jun '10) 4 hr so wrong 28
union Lou 4 hr Scoots94 40
Degenerates Post Here 4 hr Scoots94 5

Dixmoor Jobs

Personal Finance

Dixmoor Mortgages