Parks in midlo
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

5yr Midlo Resident

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian, IL

#1 May 12, 2009
Has anyone taken a stroll through their local park lately? I have to wonder if yours is as bad as mine is.

I admit, I don't frequent the parks. I have no kids playing ball or anything.

I just took my dogs for a walk, and the park just west of Raday Lodge was decrepit. There is no grass. It's just weeds and more weeds. Purple flower weeds. Huge dandelions. Huge patches of mud.

The place where you pull a glove to pick up dog doo is empty as usual, and the garbage cans are tipped over.

What? I mean doesn't chemlawn give discounts to towns because of how many parks and grassy areas they have? Could we spring for a little weed n feed for 10 bucks from Menards? Seriously. I know they have to be careful of children and animals, but this is just ridiculous.

Go ahead. I dare you to find one blade of grass at that park.
mr midlopk

Midlothian, IL

#2 May 12, 2009
yep and as much as I try to keep it off my lawn it seems to be impossible, I am lucky to have shrubs (trimmed) to keep the weeds over there. I put winterizer on my lawn, then reapply scotts turfbuilder in the spring, but the crap from across the street is always getting in my lawn. Not only that, but they can play music as loud as they want with their PA system speakers facing inn our home direction instead of 294, and I can do nothing about it, I make a call and noting happens. I have gone as far as pulling my own PA system out and blasting them with Freebird at full blast. Then the garbage they leave behind ends up blowing in my driveway and stuck in my shrubs. Also during winter they do not rake up the leaves from the trees, so I have a bundle which I have to deal with every year. Let the dog crap stay it needs the fertilzer.

5yr Midlo Resident

Midlothian, IL

#3 May 12, 2009
I bet I passed your house then MrMidlopk. I was so irritated that I told my husband I was getting on Topix to post about it.

I admit, my lawn is has many dandelions. Part of that is our fault because we didn't think we needed Scott Turf+Weed Control. It wasn't until 2 years here we even put regular Scotts down. But now I bought the + and put it out twice already in the hopes of killing the dreaded, vile plants. Our neighbors lawns started getting bad, and they spread to ours. Have I mentioned how much I hate dandelions?
mr midlopk

Midlothian, IL

#4 May 12, 2009
no doubt, its a pain I believe the purple ones are called creeping clovers or something like that, Beyers concentrate for the sprayer is supposed to get them, but I do not want to burn the lawn so will try it in a week or so.
Park Distrct Circus

Blue Island, IL

#5 May 12, 2009
Common...weeds! That is your complaint? It is that time of year..OK.

The district tried to waste tax payers money expanding the building at Brement heights. i was soooo happy to see that it was defeated. If that was upgraded, there would have been much overhead with staff and maintainance for the building and lappool. There is already a REAL pool nearby Kostner park. How many people would have actually used a lap pool. When it first opened, there were many activities. For the longest time though, the main event has been being the Bingo parlot the the VFW!

Now the park has two holes that fill with water and are now a potencial drowning danger with heavy rains. The walking path is nice, but walking through the park could have been accomplished on the grass. There are many paths in the nearby Forest Preserves already.

Typical government agencies. Expansion for expansion sakes. I like to see the open park areas. Why does everything need to have a walking path? Walk on the grass and that does not cost anything else.

I really do like the new playground equipment for the kids. I see a lot of parents there with their kids and that is nice to see.
mr midlopk

Midlothian, IL

#6 May 13, 2009
well from my experiance most park district aerate their larger grass areas each year, I have yet to see this done at Memorial Park. Aeration of the lawn would let grass come back and the weed would get drowned out by the grass (healthy). The small bike path is nice to let the kids ride bikes on safely, and gives others a place to walk without falling into a hole uneven land (like a rabbit hole), also some with disabilities use it everyday to get out in their wheelchairs, It was a nice addition when considering the cost. My little ones love the playlot, even try to run to it everytime we are out n front of our house, as long as I or they dont step on some kid chewing gum.

5yr Midlo Resident

Midlothian, IL

#7 May 13, 2009
PDC I'm complaining about a dilapidated park. Duh.

And we don't have "new" playground equipment at our park so add that to my complaint too.

5yr Midlo Resident

Midlothian, IL

#8 May 13, 2009
MrMidloPk please post back if that Beyer works. I was debating that last year but was afraid to use it with the dogs....I will use it on the front if it works.
mr midlp park

Midlothian, IL

#9 May 13, 2009
ok no problem accordig to their web site it does,

its a mix of all these but the creeping charlie looks like the main culprit

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/weed-identifier....

Midlothian,Il

#10 May 13, 2009
mr midlp park wrote:
ok no problem accordig to their web site it does,
its a mix of all these but the creeping charlie looks like the main culprit
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/weed-identifier....
Bayer has good products. I use the weed control. I don't care for Chemicals though. I think Dandelions are a pretty flower( I know, call me weird) don't like the seeds though. They make me sneeze and as far as Creeping Charlie goes, I read where if you mix Boraxo and water it will get rid of them.
mr midlp park

Midlothian, IL

#11 May 13, 2009
tried it I think midlo is overrun with them, whatever I put on them, they shrivel a bit but just come back.

“26 year Midlo resident”

Since: Feb 09

Wichita, Kansas

#12 May 13, 2009
I know the park they redid near the park district building which I drive by all the time has been really busy on weekends. It looks really nice. Good job better then when they tried the skateboard fiasco.
Midlo Dog walker

Midlothian, IL

#13 May 13, 2009
Creeping charlie(the purple flowers) will die with just plain old weed-b-gone..the kind you hook you your hose, I know because my neighbors gets into my yard every Spring and thats how I get rid of it.
mr midlp park

Midlothian, IL

#14 May 14, 2009
mine just takes over the whole yard, and wed-b-gone does not work for me, it just shrivels a bit but then in a week or so comes back. willl try bayers next week.

“26 year Midlo resident”

Wichita, Kansas

#15 May 14, 2009
mr midlp park wrote:
mine just takes over the whole yard, and wed-b-gone does not work for me, it just shrivels a bit but then in a week or so comes back. willl try bayers next week.
I get that purple crap trying to get from my neigbor's and I use that term very loosely yard. I do keep it out with weed b gone. I just keep it at the fence line. Although I would not mind applying a little Triox to his yard.
bill

Midlothian, IL

#16 May 14, 2009
the parks look like they do because the idiot you voted in as trustee was in charge of them. I hope you are all happy blue team because now the villiage will look like the parks full of weeds.

5yr Midlo Resident

Midlothian, IL

#17 May 14, 2009
Bill you don't need to get rude. One single person isn't the total cause of this. I'm quite sure that it's been going on for years because frankly, when I moved here that park was only marginally better.

And for the record, you don't know whom I voted for so leave the slinging hash to the short order cooks at Dennys.

Midlothian

#18 May 14, 2009
bill wrote:
the parks look like they do because the idiot you voted in as trustee was in charge of them. I hope you are all happy blue team because now the villiage will look like the parks full of weeds.
Yes, thank you. We are very happy. No, the village will not look like the park. People are going to have a lot more pride in this town than they have had in years. I believe that residents will go the extra steps to ensure that their town comes together nicely. Don't speak ill of our newest trustee. He has been sworn in for less than 24 hours and it's not fair to not give him a chance to do good things for the community. He is a very nice guy who would like to see good things happen here. The blue team are very proud. Nothing you can say will change that.

Midlothian,Il

#19 May 14, 2009
bill wrote:
Get over it Black/Orange. YOU LOST!!! Grow up!!! Now WE as a Village with PRIDE can move forward !!! Maybe you should have Pouted on Wednesday night and left abruptly the way What's His Name did.
your serious

Chicago, IL

#20 May 15, 2009
We must be in good shape as a village now since our main concern is the amount of weeds in the parks. It is good we used to have a lot more serious issues. Progress.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Josh Deabel going down (Mar '15) 1 hr Dahts 21
Mayor Domingo Vargas Contrite at July 12, 2016 ... 1 hr BIIPED 79
Stevo at the City Council meeting 2 hr Change is needed 11
Any Experiences With Former Blue Island Police ... 3 hr waller off 14
The corruption continues at Bloom Trail... 5 hr Little Joe 17
Open Letter to All Veteran's 6 hr Rest in Peace 41
Beat them at there own game 6 hr tommy 2

Dixmoor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance