Patch does it again
do right

United States

#1 Jul 27, 2013
So, there's a fire in Oak Forest. Too bad for Patch that no one died, because we already know how much they get off on people dying!!! Anyhoooo, they've manage to plaster their web and FB pages with insanely repetitive posts by different folks trying to get you and me to comment on them. This is the bull crap that drives readers crazy, but since these pinheads are SO DESPERATE for any type of feedback they resort to these tactics over and over.

Watch out in the days ahead for the old " a number of readers asked me about this story so we are reposting it" schtick, even though not a single person requested it.
Patch writer

Lawrence, MA

#2 Jul 27, 2013
Shut the F$$K up!!!!!
do right wrote:
So, there's a fire in Oak Forest. Too bad for Patch that no one died, because we already know how much they get off on people dying!!! Anyhoooo, they've manage to plaster their web and FB pages with insanely repetitive posts by different folks trying to get you and me to comment on them. This is the bull crap that drives readers crazy, but since these pinheads are SO DESPERATE for any type of feedback they resort to these tactics over and over.
Watch out in the days ahead for the old " a number of readers asked me about this story so we are reposting it" schtick, even though not a single person requested it.
And now

United States

#3 Jul 27, 2013
Patch is now demanding that instead of calling the police to ask a question, that you register your name and email address so that you can "ask a cop a question?"

How stupid and demeaning of citizens. And, of course, we all know that you won't take ALL the questions to the police, only the stupid ones, the ones that we all know the answer to.

Hey dimwits, go play in the sandbox and let adults run the site. You are now a mockery of all things journalistic. Mommy is getting impatient and needs you all to move out of the basement already! Tick tock, tick tock, the end of patch is coming!
Comment from reader

Chicago, IL

#4 Jul 29, 2013
Copied from a recent article on why Patch continues to fail.

""""I asked Patch why my local site was no longer covering the community in its name and was told by an editor that Patch was "go[ing] through some staffing changes" and "I'd like to seek your help in fixing that, if possible." She then offered me an opportunity (which has always existed) to blog for the site. When I responded that she did not mention compensation, she said, "Our bloggers are unpaid but are able to re-post existing items and use our platform to further their causes and agendas, and hopefully get the community talking about the issues! Oy."""" "

Pretty much sums it up. Gone by next year.
OFR

Jefferson, GA

#5 Jul 29, 2013
This is what you get when you hire people with no journalistic experience, poor writing skills, absolutely zero marketing skills, and little ethical balance to act as "editors" of a news site. AOL bought into Armstrongs promise, and this is what happened. Patch as an entity has lost hundreds of millions for AOL. All the folks with the ability to get hired elsewhere have already jumped ship. Now all you have left are the rats.
Even Better

Oak Forest, IL

#6 Jul 29, 2013
NO Journalistic experience...

Not quite, they did (at least when I checked around 2010) require a bachelors degree in journalism or a related field). In looking thru the bios of many local editors you will see that many have worked for other rags before, and graduated with degrees in journalism. This isn't to defend them, quite the contrary. For people who have degrees in this field, the vast majority of writing put out is deplorable.

I was really excited when a hyper-local concept took off, and that Oak Forest would finally be getting some decent coverage, usually only reserved for northern/western suburbs. In the beginning the coverage from Lauren was pretty good, same thing with Carrie over at the TP Site. Then things changed to Nick, when Lauren got a promotion. That is when I saw a huge decline in the coverage. People asking for information about police activity or hard news never got reply's, or were brushed off saying "I didn't see any alerts" about something. Here they are with people giving them story leads, and they won't lift a finger to check it out. People who did respond to other users with information, have been told that they shouldn't post unconfirmed information. They seemed to be more about posting cutesy stories on dogs, local sports coverage, feel good news, and national hot topics. What is the point in a local site, if local NEWS fails to get covered?

I think this problem is much deeper than Patch itself. AOL has a reputation for turning everything it touches to .... They probably won't fund it correctly, seeing as I believe the average editor is making in the low $30k range. You can make more in tips at a decent restaurant full time. I think that determines the quality of what we are seeing on a daily basis.

Well I seem to be ranting now, but wanted to get an honest opinion off my chest. I believe these people given their backgrounds should have no problem in putting out quality news for our area, it's not like there is a steady barrage of stories. Ignoring real news when it comes across your desk is downright horrible. They should relish the rights granted to them as press under the first amendment, and exercise it to the fullest extent. I would love to see an investigative piece done on local government. File some damn FOIA's with the little budget you have, instead of passing out swag at parades.(Save the don't bite the hand that feeds response, as I have kept up on this discussion before)

I'm not the one who keeps starting these discussions almost daily (which are really annoying to sift through, btw), but do think something needs to be done to get a serious discussion going about local news coverage. We are really close to not having any local news coverage in this town.

/rant
OFR

Jefferson, GA

#7 Jul 29, 2013
Good points. I would add that these editors were and still are over their heads. When they had a longer leash, they refused to do a single FOIA or ask any hard questions of local officials. It's been fluff from day one, and since they changed their posting requirements the feedback has been nearly non existent. Early promises made about digging deep into local events never came true, and they made no apologies about the bait and switch they engaged in. They were really a mouthpiece for local governments, and to question those entities was something the editors were afraid to do.

Advertisers are aware that they can use AOLs own advertising arm to reach more eyes then what Patch charges local businesses for the same space. This is the main reason that the sites will close shop sooner than later. If these folks had any cajones they would start their own site and put their money where their mouth is.
RES1

Chicago, IL

#8 Jul 29, 2013
It's all about the money, not the towns, or the citizens, or the bloggers. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. No advertising revenue, no Patch. And every Wall Street analyst has agreed that Patch is a drag on AOLs balance sheet, which means ding dong, the patch is dead.
why

Chicago, IL

#9 Jul 30, 2013
RES1 wrote:
It's all about the money, not the towns, or the citizens, or the bloggers. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. No advertising revenue, no Patch. And every Wall Street analyst has agreed that Patch is a drag on AOLs balance sheet, which means ding dong, the patch is dead.
Why are you so down on the patch? The Southtown and Tribune no longer report on Oak Forest news either. No advertising revenue in this town - no editorial coverage. It's all about the money with every news source.
another thing

Chicago, IL

#10 Jul 30, 2013
RES1 wrote:
And the standard is not as high as you think it is at newspapers. They hire "stringers" to report stories and pay them per article. It's cheaper for them than hiring employees and offering benefits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Red Light Enforcement Program (Sep '10) 2 hr Welfare Country 42
Val Desperate for Attention 4 hr Trumbull 18
Happy Memorial Day 4 hr Freespeech4all 2
Are we trying to hide a shady past Arty? 8 hr Lighten 7
DCFS Failures Sun No Question 1
Results Now Party led by Fran Broke Topix Sun Taxpayer Second 15
Was Chicago Ridge Election Rigged?? Sun Wonder 49

Dixmoor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance