Chuck Cavallini's-Putting Midlothian ...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LOW CLASS ELIMINATOR

Thornton, IL

#22 Jun 19, 2013
orkin wrote:
<quoted text>i think you meant cockroachs and mice .
I believe you were talking about some restaurant in Robbins weren't you? Or don't they have restaurants in Robbins?
pontoni

Milford, MI

#23 Oct 4, 2013
My father Dominick worked for Papa Cavellini at the old ice Cream Co. Back in 1921. I have a pict. Of a Cavellini Icream Truck in front of the old factory. Its a 2 story brick building circa 1920. I took my fater back to see Mr. Cavellini ad round 1970 at the restarant. Always wondered whst happened to the fsmily. Many memories sitting back and speaking Italian stories.
chicago ken Knoxville TN

Knoxville, TN

#24 Nov 17, 2013
My folks use to go there all the time as Chuck's was extremely popular after WW II. Food was great, as was the bar and entertainment. A long time waitress was named Pearl and had a loyal following as did many of the waitresses. My folks had their wedding reception there in 1954 Vera and stepfather RO Williams.
They knew Chuck and Bobbie really well and thought highly of them. I think my Dad sold them a Kirby one time.
Cavallinis relative

Midlothian, IL

#25 Nov 17, 2013
pontoni wrote:
My father Dominick worked for Papa Cavellini at the old ice Cream Co. Back in 1921. I have a pict. Of a Cavellini Icream Truck in front of the old factory. Its a 2 story brick building circa 1920. I took my fater back to see Mr. Cavellini ad round 1970 at the restarant. Always wondered whst happened to the fsmily. Many memories sitting back and speaking Italian stories.
My husbands mother was related to cavallinis ,Angelo moved to Lexington il to live with son Don and died at the age of 96 a few Years back .i think Chuck finished his life in sunny Florida .Cavallinis was a great place to gather ,good food and nice people having grown up in Midlothian Ihad plenty meals and celebrated many occasions there.after I was married I had many holidays and special moments with the Cavallinis and my husbands family nothing like a n Italian holididayI
Deb

Tinley Park, IL

#26 Nov 17, 2013
Cavallinis was a great place. thanks for the memories....
In the know

Chicago, IL

#27 Nov 17, 2013
The place was run into the ground by Paul and Tommy. How it never "caught fire" still amazes me!
Midlo History Buff

Orland Park, IL

#28 Nov 17, 2013
pontoni wrote:
Hi Pontini. It was good of you to share your story. The Midl. Hist. Society has a collection of mementos from Cavallini's. I'm sure they'd like to expand it by posting that photo in their display area (I know, the factory was in Blue Island, but that's ok.) They can computer-copy it and send the original back to you. If so, drop them a line or call them during their hours of operation (1st & 3rd Sat of month 11am - 2 pm).
Midlo History Buff

Orland Park, IL

#29 Nov 17, 2013
Whoops, sorry Pontoni, not pontini
Terry Abraham

San Francisco, CA

#30 Jan 6, 2014
My Dad belonged to the Harvey Area Optimist Club with a lot of other
businessmen in the area. They had their monthly meeting at Cavalini's. It was great fun when the fathers brought their sons for "father - son" night out at Cavalini's. We often ate there as a family, also. Great memories. I live in San Francisco where we have alot of family-owned restaurants even today. I miss Harvey, the people and the area, as I am sure many of the readers do.
Chuck D

Raleigh, NC

#31 Feb 10, 2014
Does anyone remember "All you could eat, rock lobster tails?"
Kat

Geneva, IL

#32 Jun 6, 2014
frequented Cavallini's in the 50's and 60's with the family, had an uncle who belonged to the country club in Midlothian as well. My long deceased father loved Cavallini's and I am enjoying reading about the visits to the restaurant in the 70's, etc.
A real memory for me!!!
sowhat

Midlothian, IL

#33 Jun 24, 2014
Miss Chuck Cavallini's. Now the only fine dining in Midlothian is um....ummm.......ummmmmmmmmmmm ....does Hardees count?
TomG

Edinburg, TX

#34 Apr 30, 2015
Kevin wrote:
Many fond memories eating great food at the Chuck Wagon during the 1970's. The lobster tails were awesome! Those were the days my friends!
In 1961-62 I was a busboy at Cavallini's and still have a menu from the place. There is a small typewritten notice stapled inside which reads "Temporary Increase - On FRIDAY, Chuck Wagon $3,75, due to the cost of LOBSTER TAILS". Alternately, you could order dinners: Broiled African Rock Lobster Tails for $4,75, or a Whole Maine Lobster with Shrimp Stuffing for $5.95.(Dinners included your choice of Spaghetti or Mostaccioli PLUS your choice of potato.)
Betty Howell

Naples, FL

#35 May 9, 2015
aka lurker wrote:
Everyone knew where Chuck Cavallini's was! I remember the "chuck wagon" was the big thing. I attended a wedding there in the 80s not long before it closed. And then the building was not razed for several years, because pigeons had taken up residence and they were "protected." I'm not sure how they convinced those birds to relocate so we could one day build a gazebo. ;)

My dad used to take us to Cavallini's thru the years I was growing up until adulthood. We had a small business the nearby - an airport, so cooking was not a convenience we enjoyed. Business first. I do remember Jean at the organ, the place was a 2nd home to us.
Joestyle

Chicago, IL

#36 May 10, 2015
One of the chefs is now working for the Mannheim auction in Tinley Park. Super nice guy.8043
Becky727

Smartt, TN

#37 Jun 11, 2015
I never went to Chuck Cavallinis, never even been to Midlothian. But I've heard many stories from my SO, who was an entertainer there. He speaks very highly of Chuck and loved playing there. Not sure if that was 70's or early 80's but I'm leaning toward 70's. Anyone remember hearing a Tennessee entertainer there named Jerry Pierce?
Johnny B

North Chicago, IL

#38 Oct 26, 2015
I worked as a Bus Boy at Cavallini's from 1968-70. By then, Chuck had sold the restaurant to a bunch of Greeks. I had a great time growing up in that place. I dated the Pam, the Dessert Girl. I loved working in the bar so I could listen to the "4 Gents" perform. I got to fill the glass of Jack Nicklaus when he came to eat there during the Western Open. I also got to meet Dick Butkis and Ron Santo when they ate there. So many wonderful memories for a teenage boy.
Elyne Strauss

Bloomington, IN

#39 Oct 26, 2016
[We rented the apt. above a shop at the west end of Chuck's around 1973. A parking lot separated us from the nearby bar to the west. Our landlady was Mrs. Corsi. I believe we were there January thru November of 1973. That was the same year they were advertising land for sale in Florida; which my father-in-law thought to capitalize on then withdrew to the promotion of Galena, Illinois acreage. Those were difficult times; yet, compared to the current economy, very similar. Word to the wise. If you find a job, work hard to be the best you can be and God will get the glory.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
City 911 center closing 11/2017 1 hr CASA 19
City Council 5/23/17 Mayor Vargas says " WE are... 2 hr Zoom Zoom 9
Stop the Cook County Tax Increase com 3 hr Denise 8
News 2 poodles dropped from 5th floor of Oak Lawn pa... 4 hr Poodle poop 7
CR School Board Election Results 13 hr Cheeto Santino 13
School board meeting 4/20/17 16 hr LOL 24
Results Now Party led by Fran Broke Topix 17 hr Your Gone 14

Dixmoor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance