Chuck Cavallini's-Putting Midlothian ...

Chuck Cavallini's-Putting Midlothian on the Map

Posted in the Dixmoor Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Did I Just Say That Out Loud?”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#1 May 22, 2011
Everyone knew where Chuck Cavallini's was! I remember the "chuck wagon" was the big thing. I attended a wedding there in the 80s not long before it closed. And then the building was not razed for several years, because pigeons had taken up residence and they were "protected." I'm not sure how they convinced those birds to relocate so we could one day build a gazebo. ;)
Pictures

Chicago, IL

#2 May 22, 2011
Some pictures of the place would be nice. Guess I'll have to go to the midlothian history museum for that.
Memories

Oak Lawn, IL

#3 May 22, 2011
We had our wedding reception there. Great food way back then.

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian,Il

#4 May 23, 2011
aka lurker wrote:
Everyone knew where Chuck Cavallini's was! I remember the "chuck wagon" was the big thing. I attended a wedding there in the 80s not long before it closed. And then the building was not razed for several years, because pigeons had taken up residence and they were "protected." I'm not sure how they convinced those birds to relocate so we could one day build a gazebo. ;)
Remember the Valet they used to have at the door? Now, that was style:):) Go to Cav's, have a Valet park your car and see some of the local "politicos" back then hobnob:):)
Millard

United States

#5 May 23, 2011
Had my first wedding reception there. Also met the gal who caused me to have a 2nd wedding.

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian,Il

#7 May 25, 2011
Millard wrote:
Had my first wedding reception there. Also met the gal who caused me to have a 2nd wedding.
:):):) You little devil you:):):)
Posenboy

Dearborn Heights, MI

#8 Jan 14, 2012
I used to work there when I was younger... Went back to IL a few years ago and seen it was gone, that was a sad sight, I had so many memories there.
oldtimer

Munster, IN

#9 Jan 15, 2012
I worked the soda fountain at the Sweet Shop which was the name prior to Chuck's or Cavalinni's. The post office was in the back section and they had a small kitchen in between. Years later Chuck, opened the bar and restaurant after the Post Office moved. The sweet Shop had a counter on the west wall, a row of booths in the center and booths along the east wall. The Chef was Nick when the kitchen opened and was the chef for many years after that. The State Police Station was at 139th and Cicero and the police were always in the place.
Many romances started at the sweet shop and later continued with weddings. I can still remember the BBQ sandwiches Nick would dish out.Chuck was married at the time and a new manager came to work named Bobbie. A short time later she became the new Mrs Cavalinni. The village had a small office at the west end of the building, the Royal Blue Store owned by Henry Berlin was next to Chuck's and for the life of me, I can't remember the store between the Royal blue and the Village office.
Chucks nephew

Midlothian, IL

#10 Jan 15, 2012
oldtimer wrote:
I worked the soda fountain at the Sweet Shop which was the name prior to Chuck's or Cavalinni's. The post office was in the back section and they had a small kitchen in between. Years later Chuck, opened the bar and restaurant after the Post Office moved. The sweet Shop had a counter on the west wall, a row of booths in the center and booths along the east wall. The Chef was Nick when the kitchen opened and was the chef for many years after that. The State Police Station was at 139th and Cicero and the police were always in the place.
Many romances started at the sweet shop and later continued with weddings. I can still remember the BBQ sandwiches Nick would dish out.Chuck was married at the time and a new manager came to work named Bobbie. A short time later she became the new Mrs Cavalinni. The village had a small office at the west end of the building, the Royal Blue Store owned by Henry Berlin was next to Chuck's and for the life of me, I can't remember the store between the Royal blue and the Village office.
Chuck was my Uncle and I really don't appreciate that you imply he had an affair With Bobbie and left his wife for her .You shouldn't spread rumors you know nothing about.
orkin

Midlothian, IL

#11 Jan 15, 2012
aka lurker wrote:
i think you meant cockroachs and mice .
Oldtimer

Crown Point, IN

#12 Jan 15, 2012
Nephew ..Sorry you took things wrong. Not at any time did I say anything about an affair. Your the one that mentioned that, if it did happen. Chuck got a divorce and didn't marry Bobbie until a later date. As for you being related, you can be proud of Chuck, he kept Midlothian on the map and was one of the best businesmen in the restaurant business. I'm speaking of the entire country at the time.After Chuck retired he moved over here to Indiana. If you were a nephew, your father might of had the restaurant in Dolton. So once again, if I offended you, that wasn't my intension.
Kilbourne

Blue Island, IL

#13 Jan 30, 2012
Wondering Why1 wrote:
<quoted text> Remember the Valet they used to have at the door? Now, that was style:):) Go to Cav's, have a Valet park your car and see some of the local "politicos" back then hobnob:):)
The valets name was Warren. He was a really great guy.
Kilbourne

Blue Island, IL

#14 Jan 30, 2012
Chucks nephew wrote:
<quoted text>Chuck was my Uncle and I really don't appreciate that you imply he had an affair With Bobbie and left his wife for her .You shouldn't spread rumors you know nothing about.
Chuck and Bobbie were Husband and wife. I worked there in 1964-66. They were married for a long time. with a daughter Shirley.

Warren was the Valet. A really great guy.
Scarlettt

Schaumburg, IL

#15 Apr 23, 2012
We went there for all you could eat crablegs in the early 70's......for ten dollars !
Scarlettt

Schaumburg, IL

#16 Apr 23, 2012
We LOVED it......went there for their all you could eat ten dollar crablegs in the early 70s...
kildare kid

Munster, IN

#17 Apr 28, 2012
Funny how a business like Chuck's still keeps Midlothian on the map like "lurker" said.
I wonder if another attraction will ever hit the town and be as much interest as Chuck's. I'm not suggesting another restaurant, there are many other things to attract people. The popularity of suburban restaurants has come and gone to some extent. The majority have converted to pancake houses if you notice. In general, they close at 3 or 4 pm. Todays night life is at a all time low.
Many say it's too much crime out there to take a chance, plus the present economy is killing eateries. But if you take a close look at the problem, restaurants started taking a nosedive many years back.
Midlo History Buff

Orland Park, IL

#18 May 9, 2012
A little additional history of Chuck Cavallini's --
The Midlothian building that later housed the famous restaurant was originally owned by R.K.Cumming, a famous Midlothian figure in his own right. The 'Sweet Shop' and the post office were located there. It was on the corner of Prairie and 147th.(Yes, the little north-south section of street had that name). The building first shows up in photos dated 1930. Chuck Cavallini bought the building in 1932 and started the restaurant. Clark Gable and Joan Crawford were among the notable patrons. The building was torn down in 1996.
Chuck's father, Pietro "Papa" Cavallini came to the US in 1901 at age 22. Papa worked at an ice cream parlor in Chicago Heights, later bought an ice cream parlor in Blue Island with his brother Dewey, then later opened a second ice cream parlor and "Sweet Shop" at the corner of Western and Vermont. Many older Midlothianites remember that place. The shops expanded to other south suburbs including Dolton and Oak Forest. They started the Cavallini Ice Cream Company on Walnut Street in the 1920's in Blue Island.
A small photo of the inside of that ice cream plant is displayed in the new Metra train station near Oak Park avenue in Tinley Park -- which houses a restaurant for commuters and a small banquet facility called Cavallini's -- this time not run by any Cavallini, but serving quite good food in my opinion. The use of the name was authorized by one of the downstate Cavallini family members.
A more complete history and some old photos are on display at the Midlothian Historical Society.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#19 May 10, 2012
Last weekend my daughters bridal shower was at the train station. We didn't know if the people there were members of the Cavalini family or not. The people there were very nice and helpful. The women all said the food was exceptionally good and I've seen many pictures of the place, not just the people at the party, which tells me that everyone thought it was very nice. If these people are not Cavalinis at least the family should know that they are trying to make good on the use of the name.
Insider

Midlothian, IL

#20 Jun 24, 2012
I hear a family member is looking to re-establish the family restaurant back in Midlothian, anyone hear anything?
Kevin

Warrenville, IL

#21 Feb 11, 2013
Many fond memories eating great food at the Chuck Wagon during the 1970's. The lobster tails were awesome! Those were the days my friends!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Public Hearing on the water rate increase 9 hr Bernie 10
Stop the Soda Tax in Cook County 12 hr Wheres Eddie Been... 72
Commander Sisk New Chief Sun Glug Glug 22
John Kasparek New City Auditor Addresses City C... (Oct '15) Sun Issues 65
She Gone Sun Question 2
Liquor store cruise night Sun Larry 3
Bengals... Sun TheTaxMan 7

Dixmoor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance