Remembering Old Time Harvey
Jacqueline bleimehl- lutz

Salt Lake City, UT

#164 Aug 15, 2013
My husband (Wendell Martin) and I used to skate at Arts for years. We met in 1984 at Arts thru a friend of his and have been married almost 57 years now. We really missed Arts when it closed. We now live in Utah.
Bill Graff

Delray Beach, FL

#165 Aug 23, 2013
Old Times in Harvey wrote:
Remember the:
4th of July Parades held every year on 154th Street.
the old movie theater in Downtown Harvey,
Downtown Harvey was thrivng with shoe stores, clothing stores, dime stores, drug stores, Dr. & Dentist offices and so much more,
the old A&P Grocery Store. Wally's Grocers on 147th Street, along with Dairy Queen and Jack in the Box near there.
The BPOE (Elk's Club) and the seafood dinners (& the grand old building that it had, now long gone),
all the high dollar residences on 155th Street, before the Dixie Square Mall there was the Dixie high Golf Course,
the drive-in theater in Posen,
canoeing on the Little Calumet River,
the Moose Lodge on Dixie Hwy,
before I-57 was built (you had Bremen Hwy.),
Community, Dog n' Suds (on 147th),
there were jobs galore with various industries such as Wyman Gordon, Buda, Allied Tube, etc.,etc.,
There's so much more!
The optomist club would sponser those parades and my Dad was a member so I would work the parade and sell cracker jacks, baloons and flags in 1959 and for a few years after. I grew up living on paulina and went to Ascension Catholic grade school. I have very fond memories of those days.
jon f

United States

#166 Aug 29, 2013
Rich wrote:
I lived next to Bradshaw Ford at 154th and Ashland. After graduating from Ascension, TTHS and TJC, I went away to attend college, and never moved back. Looking back, Harvey was a great place to grow up. It was safe, fun, and diverse enough to be real. I miss the old days in my home town.
and remember when your dog bit me????
Bill Graff

Delray Beach, FL

#167 Aug 29, 2013
Fred A wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I remember him. I graduated in 1967, I loved when they had Hot lunches, with hot dogs, hambergers, and sloppy Joes.sometimes I went to the little grocer at 154th between Myrtle, and vine, and stopped sometimes on the way home at the drug store at 154 one block west of Ashland. My brother was always making me drive to the drive in at 154th, and wood to buy Hamburgers, 15 cents each.
I also graduated from Ascension in 1967 and I also remember the janitor but I didn't remember his name. Does anybody remember Graff's Poultry. My family had the store on Morgan St in the 40's and 50's and then moved to 154th St. My cousin became the chief of police in Harvey some time back and I have many relatives that grew up in Harvey a great place to grow up in then.
carl3615

Chicago Heights, IL

#168 Sep 2, 2013
Just uploaded a new photo album--now a library--of some 3000 photos of Harvey, Riverdale, Dolton and the area--including the 1957 Harvey phone book, and two Harvey history books. Take a ride back:

VINTAGE PHOTOALBUM:

http://carl3615.smugmug.com/

VIDEO ALBUM:

http://www.youtube.com/tthscarl

One asked about "Bum's Castle"(aka "Hobo Castle"--originally was a grain tower that loaded the stuff onto trains. It's name arose as a need of parents to try to keep kids out of the abandoned structure, thus the stories about bums using it to sleep in--might have been true in part. Mayor Graves told me he tried to demolish the structure, but it was built so well that it laughed at bulldozing attempts, so they left it up--now a landmark of sorts. Used to have a Dixie Dairy sign atop in the '50's era. Today it's completely empty inside.

And Art's Roll Aire Rink was in Harvey--the border of Dolton is a block east. Now a parking lot, of course, and next to it is Beggar's Pizza, which is owned by famed Thornton grad and retired NFL star, Napoleon Harris--also now a state senator--a credit to the community.
carl3615

Chicago Heights, IL

#169 Sep 2, 2013
HARVEY DAZE 2013

Saturday, September 7
Noon to Midnight

Hammond Fraternal Order of Police Hall
175th & J.F.Mahoney Drive, Hammond, IN
(Exit I-80/94 at Kennedy Ave North)
http://harveydaze.com/index.htm

Last year we had about 500. Tom Dreesen stopped by.$8 admission, includes all you can eat--cash bar, pop/water. Indoor hall and superb outdoor picnic grounds with pavillion and playground for kids.
Angelo

Chicago Heights, IL

#170 Sep 17, 2013
The suger bowl would be 100 years old this year. It is gone now--
carl3615

Chicago Heights, IL

#171 Sep 22, 2013
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4oO7-3qb15c3...

I just uploaded about two hours of home movies of Rube's Sportmans Club from 1961-77--at the link above. Includes clips inside Rubes and a trip to Comisky Park in 1962--and picnics, bowling, baseball and golf outings. Via the Walczyk family
cy gaffney

Chicago, IL

#172 Sep 24, 2013
I recall a costume and novelty shop in town in the early sixties an I=I belve it was called 'Ed's Doll House.'
Terry Abraham

San Francisco, CA

#173 Oct 12, 2013
Remember Mark's Toggery, Helen's Dresshop, Jean's Bakery, John and Sons Meat Market, Bryant School,
Ms. Sexauer, Ms. Hance, Mrs. Benson, Mr Umbaugh,Ms. Wilson, Drs. Hansen and Logsdon. It was a great place to thrive and grow
Peter Melonas

Suffern, NY

#174 Oct 22, 2013
We lived at 15635 Lexington in a three story six flat owned by my Grandparents. It was across the street from Lowel Longfellow ( Later Holmes too ) school. I remember when District 152 put up metal fire escapes from the top floor of the school to the side yard. When we had fire drills we used to have to jump into the round covered escape and slide down. We moved in 1955 to a new home Dad built on 150th Street across from TTHS. I wrote a column in the newspaper called "The Honker Speaks '.
Anyone remember when the Junior College brought a huge boulder on Thornton's campus? They hauled it along 150th Street. That night 40 of us guys gathered at my house and went out and buried it.
Dr Logsdon was furious. Remember the quarry in Thornton, IL. We'd cut clas and go swimming there.
My dad, Gus Miller ( Melonas ) was President of the Optimist and Governor of the Moose Lodge. Mom was in the Women's Club. I had always heard that Mayor Kane was the culprit who started the decline of Harbey when he had some low income housing built on the west side. Apparently that started a huge influx of really poor black people from south Chicago. That rumor was never proved that I know of.
Today Grandpa Melonas' two story home on 154th Street is one of the few buildings remaing. It had a diner on the street floor run by my Uncle Pete Lambert called The Harveyette. Jim Fraggos' house on 154th Street to the west still stands too.
Marian Kopay

Rogers, AR

#175 Nov 9, 2013
Peter Melonas wrote:
We lived at 15635 Lexington in a three story six flat owned by my Grandparents. It was across the street from Lowel Longfellow ( Later Holmes too ) school. I remember when District 152 put up metal fire escapes from the top floor of the school to the side yard. When we had fire drills we used to have to jump into the round covered escape and slide down. We moved in 1955 to a new home Dad built on 150th Street across from TTHS. I wrote a column in the newspaper called "The Honker Speaks '.
Anyone remember when the Junior College brought a huge boulder on Thornton's campus? They hauled it along 150th Street. That night 40 of us guys gathered at my house and went out and buried it.
Dr Logsdon was furious. Remember the quarry in Thornton, IL. We'd cut clas and go swimming there.
My dad, Gus Miller ( Melonas ) was President of the Optimist and Governor of the Moose Lodge. Mom was in the Women's Club. I had always heard that Mayor Kane was the culprit who started the decline of Harbey when he had some low income housing built on the west side. Apparently that started a huge influx of really poor black people from south Chicago. That rumor was never proved that I know of.
Today Grandpa Melonas' two story home on 154th Street is one of the few buildings remaing. It had a diner on the street floor run by my Uncle Pete Lambert called The Harveyette. Jim Fraggos' house on 154th Street to the west still stands too.
Are you the Pete Melonas I know? If so, Never knew you grew up in Harvey, too. Did you attend TTHS?
Peter Melonas

Bronx, NY

#176 Nov 12, 2013
Marian Kopay wrote:
<quoted text> Are you the Pete Melonas I know? If so, Never knew you grew up in Harvey, too. Did you attend TTHS?
Yes I did. I went to Lowell, then TTHS. Tell me about you
tths alum

Elgin, IL

#177 Nov 14, 2013
Does anybody remember Tri City Raceway? The slot car track that was on Halstead.
local 1957

Homewood, IL

#178 Nov 22, 2013
I think Phil's Polka Club was actually in Specialville, now named Dixmoor. If I remember what I was told right, before Specialville Police had a police station, they would bring their prisoners there to house them. It was the only place in town that someone there 24 hours a day.
Dusty

West Chicago, IL

#179 Dec 2, 2013
tths alum wrote:
Does anybody remember Tri City Raceway? The slot car track that was on Halstead.
Where and when was it on Halsted St.? There was the Tri City slot car tracks on 144th ST and Indiana Ave in Riverdale around 1966-1968. It later became the Dolton Elks than the building was demolished around 10 years ago to make room for an assisted living complex for seniors citizens.
Nickie

Blue Island, IL

#180 Dec 20, 2013
Earl wrote:
Not so much a fixed in my mind memory, but there was a restaurant on Halsted around 147th which was shaped like a shoe or a boat. At least I think it was. Does anyone know the name of the place and was it a shoe or a boat. I was in it once and my only recollection is that it was really small.
It was a Mexican restaurant called Taquitos. I'm trying to find a photo of it and not having much luck.
Nickie

Blue Island, IL

#181 Dec 20, 2013
Earl wrote:
Not so much a fixed in my mind memory, but there was a restaurant on Halsted around 147th which was shaped like a shoe or a boat. At least I think it was. Does anyone know the name of the place and was it a shoe or a boat. I was in it once and my only recollection is that it was really small.
It was a shoe.
Nickie

Blue Island, IL

#182 Dec 20, 2013
Skip Groeneveld wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a boot...can't remember the name of it though. It was next to the gas station on the corner of 144th and Halsted.
It was called Taquitos.
Anonymous

Park Forest, IL

#183 Dec 28, 2013
Please go on Facebook and Join The Group "Harvey Outreach" so that we can have similar conversations there. We are attempting to build it to become a medium where WE can voice our opinions, create relationships among one another, and take action. THANK YOU.

TEAM MC

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
blue island city budget 1 hr Change is needed 7
property taxes and theives (Nov '09) 3 hr Resident 172
Blue Island Police need hires? 16 hr Bodine 16
South Suburban Library District 17 hr Buford T Justice 11
Prostitutes on 147 (Jan '12) 21 hr PleaseGoLieDown 30
Are we trying to hide a shady past Arty? (Mar '17) 23 hr Shadow hitman 40
Degenerates Post Here Thu Crackills 6

Dixmoor Jobs

Personal Finance

Dixmoor Mortgages