Lane Bryant Killer
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tinley Park

Midlothian, IL

#1 Aug 3, 2008
Six months after terror struck Lane Bryant, the Tinley Park store's doors remain locked and its windows draped in paper. A memorial of aging flowers and rosaries that once spilled onto the driveway in front of Lane Bryant is gone.
Police continue to hunt for the killer.
And families still mourn.
Rhoda McFarland's family plans to celebrate her life today at her grave in Joliet. McFarland is the 42-year-old store manager who made the brave 911 call that led police to the clothing store.
"It's not as hard as one might think 'cause she lived her life to the fullest, and every day was a blessing to have her around," Maurice Hamilton said of his sister, one of five women gunned down Feb. 2 at Lane Bryant, 191st Street and Harlem Avenue. "We know what she stood for, what she done for people, how she felt about her family and friends. She was an angel on Earth that we had here.
"And all we can do is keep up the good memories. That's all we have."
McFarland's life returned to the headlines last week as the SouthtownStar and other news outlets widely reported that Tinley Park police are interviewing friends who worshiped with her as members of a Crest Hill church. Eleven investigators with the South Suburban Major Crimes Task Force were dispatched last week to Texas, where the pastor and other congregants moved a few years ago.
Adding to the intrigue and speculation to the recent developments is the fact the church experienced a schism, with McFarland and others leaving over suspicions of financial misconduct among church leadership.
Traveling detectives
Texas is but one of several places - and the farthest - investigators have traveled to to help solve the Lane Bryant murders, Tinley Park police Chief Michael O'Connell said Friday.
Add to the list Kentucky, Indiana and western Illinois.
O'Connell said the task force of about 60 investigators charged with solving the murders has known for months about McFarland's former church, which relocated to Austin, Texas. Eleven investigators, assisted by Austin police, combed the area for clues, but the chief described the trip as just one more on a long list of efforts to talk to as many people as possible.
But why go now, six months after the killings?
"It's a cost and efficiency issue," O'Connell said, stressing that police have no suspects and no definitive leads. "If we think we've got to go, we'll wait until the timing is right.... There's no red flag that went up (about the church). It was like,'We'll get to it when we get to it.' "
McFarland used to minister at Embassy Christian Center in Crest Hill before the church's leadership, including pastor George Aja, and some of the congregation moved to Texas to start a new church, now called Embassy Nation. Records show Colorado-based Word of Life Christian Center bought the Embassy property, 1500 Cedarwood Drive, in 2007 from Aja.
Aja could not be reached for comment by the SouthtownStar. Aja told Texas television stations, however, that he's hurt by the speculation.
The sketch bears some resemblance to an accused thief and killer - Michael King. Another theory garnering attention is that King may be tied to the Lane Bryant killings. King is one of three people charged in the April 23 slayings of five people in a South Side home. He and two others are accused of targeting the home for expensive jewelry and cash. The Lane Bryant killings bear some similarities.
O'Connell said that is part of the investigation but not a high priority.
"He's just another person. Period," the chief said. "We know where he's at. We have his fingerprints."

Since: Sep 08

Tinley Park, IL

#2 Sep 15, 2008
Bless all there souls in Heaven! I,hope they catch that guy.We cant have him walking around and
shooting at people.This man is physco if you ask me.I,hears in the news paper theres a Big Man hunt out for him and his arrest...Go Get him and
lock him up for life...
christopher pope

Takoma Park, MD

#3 Oct 30, 2011
its been 3 years seends this man has not got been seen when he shot 5 women in lane bryant store in tinley park IL.
oldtimer

Highland, IN

#4 Oct 30, 2011
I can tell you a goof up in that case from the start. I'm keeping my mouth shut about it at present. I don't want to meddle into it and destroy some police work. I thought the guy would hit again somewhere else like the Honey Bee killer did. Maybe he just wanted to kill one person and the others got in his way? Ever think of that.
Doubt it

Midlothian, IL

#5 Oct 30, 2011
Really Oldtimer, if you've got something on this, please share it. You allude to knowing a lot, but then don't put it out there. I think you're a bag of wind. TIme to add some credibility to this latest claim of yours.
oldtimer

Highland, IN

#7 Oct 31, 2011
Think what you want. I do know what I'm talking about this case and a few others. The authorities are aware of what I know. It's what they didn't do. I'm in a position to hear and know a lot of other things. So if you don't believe me. "So be it". Just don't read what I post and your little world can continue.
Tyrone

Chicago, IL

#8 Oct 31, 2011
This was NOT a black man that did this. Lets not race bate
who said it was

Midlothian, IL

#9 Oct 31, 2011
Did anyone on this thread say it was a black man?? Something sure does seem to be missed on this case though.

“Always willing to lend a hand”

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#10 Oct 31, 2011
oldtimer wrote:
I can tell you a goof up in that case from the start. I'm keeping my mouth shut about it at present. I don't want to meddle into it and destroy some police work. I thought the guy would hit again somewhere else like the Honey Bee killer did. Maybe he just wanted to kill one person and the others got in his way? Ever think of that.
This is an outrage!!! Do you have any idea who you are speaking too?! Oldtimer is a well respected member of this blog, and I can personally assure you that he has many friends in law enforcement. Therefore, you had best tread carefully my friend. Otherwise, you may find yourself on the wrong side of an investigation:(:(:(

“Always willing to lend a hand”

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#11 Oct 31, 2011
Midlothian Man wrote:
<quoted text>This is an outrage!!! Do you have any idea who you are speaking too?! Oldtimer is a well respected member of this blog, and I can personally assure you that he has many friends in law enforcement. Therefore, you had best tread carefully my friend. Otherwise, you may find yourself on the wrong side of an investigation:(:(:(
Oh deer:( It appears that I have some egg on my face. Oldtimer, I must formally apologize. I inadvertently responded to you when I intended to respond your detractor, "Doubt It". I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive.

Humbly yours,

Midlothian Man
oldtimer

Fort Wayne, IN

#12 Oct 31, 2011
Thanks for the respect you have given me MM. To prove a point to "doubt it" I have within 3 feet of me a picture of one of the women that was slaughtered with the other ladies as she drove into a drive thru several minutes before she was killed. I also have other pictures related to this killing of the 5.They were not given to me. It involves my line of work. So now "doubt it" I like the green stuff, if you want to put your money where your mouth is say 200 bucks and I'll do the same, if I prove to be correct, I get your 200 bucks, if I can't produce, you get my 200 bucks. Now on another posting such as yours I gave the same challenge, funny thing, that person never hit the board again. Now you could be the same poster under a different name couldn't you?
Tyrone

Garden City, MI

#13 Nov 1, 2011
oldtimer wrote:
Thanks for the respect you have given me MM. To prove a point to "doubt it" I have within 3 feet of me a picture of one of the women that was slaughtered with the other ladies as she drove into a drive thru several minutes before she was killed. I also have other pictures related to this killing of the 5.They were not given to me. It involves my line of work. So now "doubt it" I like the green stuff, if you want to put your money where your mouth is say 200 bucks and I'll do the same, if I prove to be correct, I get your 200 bucks, if I can't produce, you get my 200 bucks. Now on another posting such as yours I gave the same challenge, funny thing, that person never hit the board again. Now you could be the same poster under a different name couldn't you?
you dont get my respect you spew black hate!
oldtimer

Fort Wayne, IN

#14 Nov 1, 2011
First of all, I gave you Tyronne, several questions to answer. You couldn't answer a single one. I don't believe your a black man and all you want to do is stir up trouble. Name one time that I and several others on this board characterized anyone as being black. As for the Elaine Bryant killings the witness said the shooter was black.
So if I say anything about Obama am I a racist? I know a man of your stature never complained about George Bush not giving you enough food stamps because you didn't want to be called a racist. Am I correct? Tyronne and any other poster that wants to get into this racist thing, had better wise up, instead of worrying what we are saying, start cleaning up the communities that the black man has destroyed. That ain't racist, it's a fact.I speak of what is evident,

Since: Jul 13

Tinley Park, IL

#15 Jul 26, 2013
OLDTIMER, how in the hell would you know anything about this case from Fort Wayne, Indiana. I'd be more than happy to put my money on the line against yours. Prove it ole man!
oldtimer wrote:
First of all, I gave you Tyronne, several questions to answer. You couldn't answer a single one. I don't believe your a black man and all you want to do is stir up trouble. Name one time that I and several others on this board characterized anyone as being black. As for the Elaine Bryant killings the witness said the shooter was black.
So if I say anything about Obama am I a racist? I know a man of your stature never complained about George Bush not giving you enough food stamps because you didn't want to be called a racist. Am I correct? Tyronne and any other poster that wants to get into this racist thing, had better wise up, instead of worrying what we are saying, start cleaning up the communities that the black man has destroyed. That ain't racist, it's a fact.I speak of what is evident,

Tinley Park, IL

#16 Aug 2, 2013
Just as I thought, all talk oletimer. Seriously, if you knew more about this case, wouldn't you go to the police since there's like some major reward in finding the killer? I'm callin B/S!
Midlo Resident

Orland Park, IL

#17 Aug 2, 2013
brotherlove23 wrote:
Just as I thought, all talk oletimer. Seriously, if you knew more about this case, wouldn't you go to the police since there's like some major reward in finding the killer? I'm callin B/S!
Considering this post is from two years ago, I doubt the poster is even following the thread anymore.
Interested

Lockport, IL

#18 Aug 2, 2013
Hahaha....ya just wonder if people even pay attention to the time/date stamp on the posts - so many of these posts being resurrected out of nowhere because people are bored.

LOL

Tinley Park, IL

#19 Aug 2, 2013
Well based upon the topic which is basically the worst crime committed in the southwest suburbs, this thread needs to be active. I'm sure Tinley Park would love to finally have some solice in solving that case. You people are just stupid idiots.
Kildare Kid

Highland, IN

#20 Aug 2, 2013
I just happen to run across this thread. For Mr BrotherLove. The evidence I know of was bungled by the crime task force. This happened at the very start of the investigation. It might of involved the topic of money. Can't prove it, but the subject is in my book I'm writing. I'll give full details there. O'h yes I was formally known as oldtimer, but some rather stupid individuals were using my name tag.

Tinley Park, IL

#21 Aug 2, 2013
Greetings Kildare Kid. Thank you for the reply. So let me get this correct, you've known tons of information regarding this Lane Bryant incident, and you've known this obviously for years, and it's taken you this long to write about it or describe specific facts? Just not buying it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Happy Memorial Day 2 hr Trumpeteers 1
Val Desperate for Attention 4 hr Trumbull 16
Red Light Enforcement Program (Sep '10) 13 hr Concerned 41
DCFS Failures 13 hr No Question 1
Results Now Party led by Fran Broke Topix 16 hr Taxpayer Second 15
Was Chicago Ridge Election Rigged?? 18 hr Wonder 49
City 911 center closing 11/2017 Sun HUH 22

Dixmoor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance