Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

Judged:

I recently was shocked when a member of the village finance committee told me that a recent audit showed millions of dollars were missing and/or misappropriated. Specifically they were talking about the bond fund for the proposed water tower.

Three years ago the village borrowed almost $8 million to do sewer repairs and build a water tower. A monthly assessment was placed on our water bills to cover the bond. Now, apparently there is less than $200,000 left in this fund and the multi-million dollar water tower is still but a pipe dream.

I think our new mayor and her trustees need to start coming clean on what they are uncovering from the previous administration.
answerman

Oak Lawn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

Judged:

That suprises you? I agrre that Sharon should start naming names, dates and places. Maybe she should call in the Feds and get the investigation going on the previous and in some cases, 2 current sitting trustees. Funny how Stephens got everyone in a frenzy and scammed them as he went along. Speaking of Investigations, how's the one on Zamiar going?
Dissapointed

Buffalo Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

Judged:

Why is she waiting on something this important. I feel she is incapable of acting on issues like this. She has done nothing so far which is disgusting

Since: Apr 09

Orland Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

Judged:

Just curious disappointed, how do you know what she is or isn't acting on?
internal investigation

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2013

Judged:

The Cook County Sherriff has offered to look into problems with other towns. I know the village can't afford to have an audit completed but obviously something has to be done.
Dissapointed

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

Judged:

5yr Midlo Resident wrote:
I do not know. What I do know is that if the water tax is unnecesary and she has been in office for 8 months or so why hasn't she repealed it
Dissapointed

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

Judged:

I retread your response again and may have misunderstood what you were asking. I don't what she is or isn't doing because I haven't heard of anything she has done. I don't think the new businesses in town were a result of her hard work and the corner of 147th and Cicero appears to have no movement. I know you pay more attention than I do at meetings and such and would appreciate if you could mention any positives that have occurred.

“Stay Thirsty my Friends”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

Judged:

Dissapointed wrote:
<quoted text>I do not know. What I do know is that if the water tax is unnecesary and she has been in office for 8 months or so why hasn't she repealed it
The water tax enacted by Stephens is specifically pledged to repay the water bonds, just like the gas tax is pledged to the street bonds. Neither can be repealed.
cant beleive it

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

Jonathan Goldsmith wrote:
I recently was shocked when a member of the village finance committee told me that a recent audit showed millions of dollars were missing and/or misappropriated. Specifically they were talking about the bond fund for the proposed water tower.
Three years ago the village borrowed almost $8 million to do sewer repairs and build a water tower. A monthly assessment was placed on our water bills to cover the bond. Now, apparently there is less than $200,000 left in this fund and the multi-million dollar water tower is still but a pipe dream.
I think our new mayor and her trustees need to start coming clean on what they are uncovering from the previous administration.
Don't be shocked this is Midlothian the village of smoke and mirrors.I bet some of the money is going to the christmas party at raday lodge on dec. 12th all the village employees will be there with there kids and grand kids.Maybe all the residents should drop in and ask why,why a party when we are in such a mess,what a village,but its christmas and a party is just what you need to take your mind off the important matters of running midlothian into the ground.Missing money don't worry about it just think of the great time the employees will be having on our dime.

Orland Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

Dissappointed, my point was that there are a lot of things the public doesn't know and may not know that happen behind the scenes. You're right, I do try to pay attention, but even I am not privy to as much as I would like.

As Jonathan stated, she can't repeal that so you're out of luck on that one.

And the mayor and board release information as they are able to. If we haven't heard about something yet you can be damn sure there's a reason for it, and that doesn't mean it's a nefarious one. Btw, she inherited a mess from the previous administrations so 7 months (it's not yeat 8) isn't that long of a time to still be working on cleanup.

My point to you is was how the heck can you call her incapable when you yourself admit you don't know what she has/has not done and are basing it on information on the internet that hasn't yet been substantiated? Just don't dismiss someone like that.
Know It All

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

why

Alsip, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

Judged:

Instead of bitchin on some message board why doesn't anyone send the complaint to Lisa Madigans' office--its' not like they are NOT aware of the corruption in the southwest suburbs?
Anonymous

Oak Forest, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

Judged:

cant beleive it wrote:
<quoted text>Don't be shocked this is Midlothian the village of smoke and mirrors.I bet some of the money is going to the christmas party at raday lodge on dec. 12th all the village employees will be there with there kids and grand kids.Maybe all the residents should drop in and ask why,why a party when we are in such a mess,what a village,but its christmas and a party is just what you need to take your mind off the important matters of running midlothian into the ground.Missing money don't worry about it just think of the great time the employees will be having on our dime.
How stupid are you? You sound like a complete idiot. Go get your free food stamps and while you're at it get the facts straight. My buddy serves on the board and he tells me what's going on in Midlothian. I'm a former resident, so why don't you just move if Midlo is so bad.
really

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

Judged:

cant beleive it wrote:
<quoted text>Don't be shocked this is Midlothian the village of smoke and mirrors.I bet some of the money is going to the christmas party at raday lodge on dec. 12th all the village employees will be there with there kids and grand kids.Maybe all the residents should drop in and ask why,why a party when we are in such a mess,what a village,but its christmas and a party is just what you need to take your mind off the important matters of running midlothian into the ground.Missing money don't worry about it just think of the great time the employees will be having on our dime.
Really John? I had no idea you loved terry Stephens so much! I thought a change in administration would get you off your abusive, sassy, harass everyone high horse. I guess some people are never happy.
Now, as far as the Christmas party, I don't remember hearing that everyone and their mother was invited. Boy, you must have some sixth sense there buddy. Most people haven't received an invitation at all yet. If they have a holiday party at raday, the fact is that the lodge, being owned by the village, is free for them to use. NO village money, do you see this John? NO village money will be used to pay for a party. You must have mistaken Sharon for Tom or Terry.
Hey here's a thought, instead of just coming on here and spewing crap, why don't you get involved in something so that once, just once, you know what you are talking about.
Dissapointed

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

Dissappointed, my point was that there are a lot of things the public doesn't know and may not know that happen behind the scenes. You're right, I do try to pay attention, but even I am not privy to as much as I would like.
As Jonathan stated, she can't repeal that so you're out of luck on that one.
And the mayor and board release information as they are able to. If we haven't heard about something yet you can be damn sure there's a reason for it, and that doesn't mean it's a nefarious one. Btw, she inherited a mess from the previous administrations so 7 months (it's not yeat 8) isn't that long of a time to still be working on cleanup.
My point to you is was how the heck can you call her incapable when you yourself admit you don't know what she has/has not done and are basing it on information on the internet that hasn't yet been substantiated? Just don't dismiss someone like that.
I get your point. She will be incapable if there is something wrong and nothing is done. I admit I am not up to speed as I should be but it just seems as if Sharon came in with the hope of change and no one I have spoken to vould think of anything positive she has done since the election not withstanding all the dead weight leaving on their own
hold on

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

Judged:

Dissapointed wrote:
<quoted text>I get your point. She will be incapable if there is something wrong and nothing is done. I admit I am not up to speed as I should be but it just seems as if Sharon came in with the hope of change and no one I have spoken to vould think of anything positive she has done since the election not withstanding all the dead weight leaving on their own
The dead weight didn't exactly leave on their own. Burke was asked to leave. The building department was cut to part time so they quit but that was truly the intention with the cut in hours don't ya think? There will be more. Some of the employees have been written up and steps are being taken to get rid of others. So again, without really knowing what she's doing, it's best for you not to comment.
Dissapointed

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

hold on wrote:
<quoted text>
The dead weight didn't exactly leave on their own. Burke was asked to leave. The building department was cut to part time so they quit but that was truly the intention with the cut in hours don't ya think? There will be more. Some of the employees have been written up and steps are being taken to get rid of others. So again, without really knowing what she's doing, it's best for you not to comment.
OK I will play your game since you are a know it all. Can you let us ignorant folk know exactly what she is doing instead of implying she is doing something so people like me do not stay ignorant?

Orland Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

I think hold one has a good point. We have posted over and over again disappointed about Sharon getting rid of dead weight in the village hall and bringing in business by making it easier and more desirable for businesses to setup shop here, yet you said "no one" you talked to could think of anything positive she did? Clearly you're very UNDERinformed.

And please understand that I do not say that meanly. I just think that you can't make the comments you're making about her because you've admitted you know very little of what is going on. You should register and keep coming back. As information is available it generally gets posted here and debated to death, but usually there are a few tidbits that are right/helpful and worth reading.

Also, KIA thank you for that link. I hadn't seen that article come out. Interesting read.

Orland Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

Judged:

Disappointed, "hold on" did tell you several things.

She asked Burke to leave.
She is writing up employees (And I'll add to this, implementing/enforcing HR/village policies).
She cut the bldg department to part time as was needed (And yes, they "quit"/retired when they heard.)

One of our businesses wanted to leave town under the old mayor and had a heck of time even opening up here, but since Sharon came in things went more orderly and smoothly, and now they are expanding instead of leaving. And yes, she is helping bring business in. She is meeting with other towns and associations and making connections.

She is also getting out in the community too. She was at National Night Out to support the Community Policing Committee's efforts to raise awareness about crime and to get neighbors to look out for each other. She's been on several of their walks too and talks with any resident that wants to.

She gives her PERSONAL cell # to anyone that asks for it and actually had it printed on her mayor business cards so they can call her with questions. Did the last few mayors do that? I think not.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, so let's just say that took me about 5 minutes to rattle off (with help from 'hold on') so there is probably a lot more if I gave it more time.
Dissapointed

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

Judged:

Disappointed, "hold on" did tell you several things.
She asked Burke to leave.
She is writing up employees (And I'll add to this, implementing/enforcing HR/village policies).
She cut the bldg department to part time as was needed (And yes, they "quit"/retired when they heard.)
One of our businesses wanted to leave town under the old mayor and had a heck of time even opening up here, but since Sharon came in things went more orderly and smoothly, and now they are expanding instead of leaving. And yes, she is helping bring business in. She is meeting with other towns and associations and making connections.
She is also getting out in the community too. She was at National Night Out to support the Community Policing Committee's efforts to raise awareness about crime and to get neighbors to look out for each other. She's been on several of their walks too and talks with any resident that wants to.
She gives her PERSONAL cell # to anyone that asks for it and actually had it printed on her mayor business cards so they can call her with questions. Did the last few mayors do that? I think not.
I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, so let's just say that took me about 5 minutes to rattle off (with help from 'hold on') so there is probably a lot more if I gave it more time.
Thanks for the reply. I hope she gets something going on Cicero soon.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Dixmoor Discussions

Search the Dixmoor Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 55 min Nono 3,894
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr whatitis 49,234
Mayor Vargas Reneges No Bid Contracts (Sep '13) 1 hr Steamy 134
IL Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in I... (Oct '10) 1 hr Weneedchange 147
I grew up in Midlothian Facebook Page (Jul '13) 1 hr Someone over the ... 228
odd tasting water 1 hr not only you 15
City Attorney ShawnTe Raines has No Municipal A... (Jan '14) 1 hr Redirect the Funds 50
•••
•••
•••
•••

Dixmoor Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Dixmoor People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••