May 14, 2013 city council meeting

Posted in the Dixmoor Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ted

Blue Island, IL

#1 May 15, 2013
Mayor Vargas spoke about his Grand parents arriving in Blue Island 100 years ago. I really am not interested in that! We are interested in how you will correct the twenty years of the mismanagement of this city you took part in? You did not outline anything, your administration plan to accomplish over the next four years.
let the games begin

Orland Park, IL

#2 May 15, 2013
He showed us that he's starting off with using city workers to set up a stage for HIS "independent party" while they are on the taxpayer's dime and clock. He showed us that he had secretly set up his committee appointments with no input from the rest of the council, and put NEWBIES who have never even been to a council meeting in chair person positions. That shows his total lack of respect for people he has been working with for years on the council, and perhaps shows us to whom he owes favors. He had a crowd with him that more represented a Calumet township meeting than a BI city meeting. Who cares if Anita Alvarez is his friend? Maybe she should advise him how to prevent some of the ridiculous lawsuits this city seems to find itself in repeatedly. Maybe she should advise his township friends on the law and acceptable behavior. I am surprised she didn't think twice about appearing to be associated with some of these people. He musn't be a very good lawyer himself since he's been in an elected position for over 20 years, Mayor Pro Tem for many of them, and hasn't seemed to be able to help keep the city out of some of the mess it has seen. Last night he appeared to point an accusing finger at the previous administration as if he wasn't involved with it for the last 20 plus years. He was a useless, invisible alderman in his ward for all those years. He will be a puppet for the person who will REALLY be running this city.
Watchdog Watcher

Wilmette, IL

#3 May 15, 2013
May I inquire as to how insensitive the masses are going to be?
There was an election and Mr. Vargas won.
Contrary to popular belief, he at least is creating a management structure.
I'm interested in how YOU are going to heed Mr. Vargas call to action and help resolve the issues of the past 20 years.
Standing behind a keyboard and complaining about things yet to happen doesn't help any situation.
Get involved!!!

Lend a hand and please become part of the solution.

If one put 1/10th of the effort into helping find solutions as one has put into kvetching about the past, then we would all benefit from your expertise, whatever it may be!

Remember the words of the French philosopher Voltaire:
"Not even God can change the past."

It is up to you and I to make the future, please choose wisely, I do.

By the way, I am active in making Blue island a better place to live regardless of the city leadership, please join me in doing the same.
do tell

Orland Park, IL

#5 May 15, 2013
Please, tell us what the management structure is, and how you seem to know this. He's also had 20 years to help to create such a management structure, the same 20 years you talked about, so please do not act like he is suddenly a knight on a white horse. I wish him well, but do not expect a major change in his actions, or lack thereof. I think he has to earn a change of opinion by a change in his actions. I hope he CAN and DOES do something for a change.
Tyranny

Blue Island, IL

#6 May 16, 2013
The fact that the Cook County States Attorney was at Domingo Vargas first meeting, is a clear message. That all the hopes of any possible inquiry, into the past administration, will not happen. The cover up of the David Koschman, Carlos Salgado cases, is just another example. This is the tyranny, Thomas Jefferson warns us about.
seth

United States

#7 May 16, 2013
Mayor Vargas is a puppet. Bob Rita demands this of his associates .
Fooled again

Alsip, IL

#9 May 16, 2013
I heard Anita and Domingo chanting Mexican Power as they were leaving.
CASA

Calumet City, IL

#11 May 16, 2013
Fooled again wrote:
I heard Anita and Domingo chanting Mexican Power as they were leaving.
I hope they were chanting "Mexican power". Now all we have to do is to get them to re-open Manrique and Salgado cases.
BITaxpayer

United States

#12 May 16, 2013
CASA wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope they were chanting "Mexican power". Now all we have to do is to get them to re-open Manrique and Salgado cases.
Is this the same CASA that Alderman Johanson has a standing/existing complaint with David Orr about heinous Vote Fraud? Lisa Madigan from what I hear is talking to Mr. Orr if they should proceed with a criminal complaint against this outfit. The one Alan Stevo has
disavowed saying he had no idea what they were up too and they were not part of his organization?
Greg 121

United States

#13 May 16, 2013
BITaxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this the same CASA that Alderman Johanson has a standing/existing complaint with David Orr about heinous Vote Fraud? Lisa Madigan from what I hear is talking to Mr. Orr if they should proceed with a criminal complaint against this outfit. The one Alan Stevo has
disavowed saying he had no idea what they were up too and they were not part of his organization?
Same CASA that slammed the new mayor for not attending their event while running yet let those who attended blow smoke to us ?
Island Blues

Chicago, IL

#14 May 16, 2013
Tyranny wrote:
The fact that the Cook County States Attorney was at Domingo Vargas first meeting, is a clear message. That all the hopes of any possible inquiry, into the past administration, will not happen. The cover up of the David Koschman, Carlos Salgado cases, is just another example. This is the tyranny, Thomas Jefferson warns us about.
Unfortunately you are right on target. We can look forward to an increasing number of Sink Holes.
AClockwork seven

Blue Island, IL

#15 May 16, 2013
Tyranny wrote:
Ad the bright light of salvation Shines in dark and empty skies
follow the money

Blue Island, IL

#16 May 16, 2013
CASA wrote:
<quoted text>

Yeah, they need to have a new Alderman election in the third and Seventh ward. This time an honest and fair one.
Recall the gen assembly

Blue Island, IL

#17 May 16, 2013
Editorial: Want real elections? It's up to you
Take this power from the pols
When Illinois lawmakers sit down to draw new legislative maps, the two most important pieces of information are 1) how each precinct voted in the last election and 2) where the incumbents live.
Using that information, the majority party sorts voters into districts that assure its candidates can coast to victory, while the other party's incumbents are either outgunned or pitted against each other. If that means your neighborhood is parceled into two or three districts or your local lawmaker represents a spider-shaped district whose residents have little in common, well, too bad.
The constitutional purpose of redistricting is to adjust legislative boundaries to reflect population shifts as measured by the U.S. Census Bureau. One man, one vote. Remember? But for politicians, the object is to make sure the party in power remains in power. As long as they control the map, they can make sure some votes count more than others.
That explains how the Democratic Party, which drew the latest maps, ended up with supermajorities in both houses of the legislature. The makeup of the districts is so lopsided that in half of them, the winning candidate ran unopposed. Very few districts had truly competitive races.
Illinoisans aren't blind to this once-a-decade power grab. A 2012 poll by the Paul Simon Public Policy Institute found a whopping 70 percent of registered voters think the job should be taken away from the General Assembly and assigned to an independent commission. The institute's David Yepsen says it would be "the single most important ethical reform Illinois could undertake."
So why hasn't it happened? Because lawmakers like things the way they are. They've ignored pleas to reform the system themselves and sabotaged efforts by others to do so. The redistricting pen is clenched firmly in the iron fist of House Speaker Mike Madigan, who heads the majority Democratic Party, and Senate President John Cullerton.
Citizens of Illinois: You are going to have to wrestle it away.
On Wednesday, a coalition of businesses and civic organizations called CHANGE Illinois! launched a campaign to amend the state constitution to end this protection racket. They have their work cut out for them. They need to collect almost 300,000 signatures in less than a year to get the measure on the 2014 ballot. A similar effort in 2010 came up short.
CHANGE wants an independent commission to draw the legislative maps, with public input and in broad daylight.(Mapmaking for congressional districts would not change.) The panel would use census data to divide the state into districts of roughly the same population, taking care not to fracture communities and with special attention to protecting the voting strength of minorities.
That's exactly what the General Assembly is supposed to be doing, but never mind. The General Assembly is not going to fix this problem.
Gov. Pat Quinn isn't going to fix it, either. The blue-ribbon ethics panel he named in his very first executive order put redistricting at the top of its reform agenda. But Quinn never put any muscle behind the recommendation. He talked about calling a special session to deal with redistricting, but didn't. And when lawmakers presented him with a new batch of gerrymandered maps, he signed them.
The courts have been no help, either. A panel of federal judges called the state's new congressional map "a blatant political move to increase the number of Democratic seats," then upheld it anyway, saying redistricting is an inherently partisan exercise. The U.S. Supreme Court has hinted that there's a line that can't be crossed, but so far it hasn't found one.
So let's stop arguing about how far is too far. Let's take the job away from the politicians. Let's own the effort. And above all, let's not be distracted by lawmakers who pretend they want to help.
Recall the gen assembly

Blue Island, IL

#18 May 16, 2013
Recall that the General Assembly stuffed the ethics panel's proposal in committee in 2009. So CHANGE took up the cause under the Fair Map banner and sought to put the measure on the ballot. The minority Republicans tried to get a version of the Fair Map amendment on the ballot through the legislature. It got stuffed too.

Democrats teed up their own "reform" measure that left the pols firmly in charge of the process. The idea was to have a weaker measure to stick on the ballot to compete with the Fair Map amendment, if supporters collected the needed signatures. They didn't. So the Democrats' half-measure died too. Nothing changed. And nothing will, if voters don't take charge.

Forget the General Assembly. You want a fair map? It's up to you.
Fooled again

Alsip, IL

#19 May 17, 2013
Domingo has lifted the ban. 1 Live Goat and Rooster per residence is now allowed.
Just The Facts

Chicago, IL

#20 May 17, 2013
Tyranny wrote:
Fact Domingo has a lengthy history of failure as an alderman.
Fact Cook County States Attorney failed the public as a full participant in the cover up of the David Koschman case.
Failure Breeds Failure

Chicago, IL

#21 May 17, 2013
And birds of a feather flock together.
Justice needed

Chicago, IL

#22 May 17, 2013
CASA wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you have a body, and no one goes to prison. Only in cook county.
Wow

New Lenox, IL

#23 May 17, 2013
Justice needed wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you have a body, and no one goes to prison. Only in cook county.
That's the dumbest thing I've heard yet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
midlo tax hike 11 min Hood Winked 182
Bengal Football.., 5 hr TheTaxMan 45
Division Street Bridge Secretly scheduled to open 7 hr Clear Choice 20
The BIIPS Have REEKED HAVOC on the Lives of Blu... 7 hr Honestly 12
The smell of burning leaves 7 hr Same problem here 43
Blue Island Red Light Cameras Illegal (Apr '12) 8 hr Results 26
Governor Quinn are you Listening (Aug '13) 8 hr Reward Taxpayers 43
Dixmoor Dating
Find my Match

Dixmoor Jobs