Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-S...

Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions

There are 52074 comments on the CBS2 story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions. In it, CBS2 reports that:

The Illinois House has approved a measure to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS2.

Doomsday

Terre Haute, IN

#50751 Feb 11, 2014
Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!
You realize this is EXACTLY what they said before inter-racial marriage, don't you?
.....That is one of the reasons why people are so messed up in the head!
truth

Granite City, IL

#50752 Feb 12, 2014
wow wrote:
<quoted text>

And there is also the historical record of decadent societies that have embraced homosexuality. Ancient Greek and ancient Rome both embraced the homosexual lifestyle that St. Paul condemns in Romans 1. Both of these societies bit the dust, and if we go along to get along with homosexual marriage, then our society will crater as well.“Men doing shameful things with men,” Paul says in Romans 1:27. For the record, homosexuals insert their sex organs into another homosexual’s anus or mouth, and ejaculate. God does not like the spilling of the male seed (Genesis 38:9-10). This in NO WAY equates to the marriage act between a man and a woman, where the natural course of things is to procreate the human race. In fact, homosexual activities have just the opposite effect of procreation, because of VD and AIDS which can cause death to the participants. Homosexual activity is definitely NOT the survival of the fittest.
Seriously? You think the downfall of Rome or Greece was cause by homosexuality? Those empires didn't fall for a myriad of other reasons that people have written entire volumes about? You are so obsessed with the gay lifestyle that you are going to use tht screwed up, broken logic to try to castigate them?

Actually, homosexuality may very well be survival of the fittest. I don't expect one of you fundie wierdos to actually understand population genetics, but give this a try.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F1...

Here's the deal; your quaint little book of bronze age fairy tales is mythology. Nothing more. It is no different than the tales of Zeus, or Odin, or Zoroaster. I know that's hard for you to accept, but your mythology has no business trying to influence modern government. Keep your mythology to yourself.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#50753 Feb 12, 2014
wow wrote:
Relax..... why dont you see what this does to family values? Once family vlaues are tossed out the window the nation is in deep trouble.
Can you explain how gay people embracing family values and marrying to form loving families will harm another person's family values?

This just doesn't seem logical.

Why the double standard? Why are family values ONLY a threat if gay folks value them?

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#50754 Feb 12, 2014
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
The secular humanists among us don’t understand why anyone would invoke the teachings of the bible regarding homosexuality in the 21rst century..........
Actually, I would hope that no Christian would, either, since every Christian denomination interprets the Bible differently.

The Bible doesn't even mention folks who can only be attracted to the same gender, and certainly don't say a thing about them being banned from living in all the same ways that other good people live.

There are no teachings against being attracted to only the same gender. How could there be, since such things are the choice of the creator? It's not like people can choose to be gay, or change God's plan. We can only choose to live a good life, like everyone else.

You may believe that it's a good thing to stretch and twist the Bible to suit your own fears and beliefs, but you must acknowledge that those beliefs are YOURS, and cannot be forced on others simply to make you feel more secure.
Earth Angel

Racine, WI

#50755 Feb 12, 2014
relax wrote:
<quoted text> I didn't say if i do or don't follow a religion, that's an assumption you made. As far as stoneage I'm refering to views that I believe is outdated. Such as a lot of things that are in the bible. Let's go ask my wife on her view of how the bible says something along the lines of a woman is to obey the man. You're going to have to ask her though. I'm going to the garage out of fear.....lol jk.... I'm going to make an assumption here, which i don't like doing, but i believe you're probably for women's rights. If a woman is to obey the man and she's with a man that doesn't believe in womens rights then she has none. That's why I believe the bible is outdated in todays world If you believe that god created everything then good created homosexuals, if god made gays then he must be ok with them. If he's ok with them why would he care if they marry?.women fought for women's rights and got them, homosexuals are going to get theirs too, its inevitable. Marriage in a church, there will be churches that don't allow it, maybe that will be your church. States that have legalized gay marriage also have churches that won't allow it. It's the churches choice .Find one that won't except it if your church chooses to do so. This is why I believe the bible is outdated in todays world. There's lots of other things that don't make sence in the bible anymore.
as far as people that take the cheap shots....ignore them, its easy. I've already had to ignore 1 after my 1st post. Cheap shots are also reserved for insecure people. Trust me, back it the day I was king of the cheap shots, but I grew up.
I love your sense of humor. Its refreshing in here instead of the same old tired insults.
Women rights
first off God does say when a man and a woman join in marriage they become as one so God in that sense does give women equal rights. But lets not go tit4tat on it.
Rather think of it this way.there is nothing sinful in giving rights to women but homosexuality is a sin. And most churches do view it as wrong to allow gay marriages.
A bigger point here is will they ALWAYS be allowed to refuse gays. Look at how gays go after anyone or any organization that dares to refuse them. Gays certainly do not believe in turning the other cheek and going elsewhere. I don't see anywhere that gays are saying they'll be ok with churches that refuse them. Show me a gay spokes person saying that.
Earth Angel

Racine, WI

#50756 Feb 12, 2014
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
Romans 1:26-32:
. In fact, homosexual activities have just the opposite effect of procreation, because of VD and AIDS which can cause death to the participants. Homosexual activity is definitely NOT the survival of the fittest.
great point.
I do think homosexuality is dying out.
If you read history homosexuality was all too common in ancient times.
Yet today its just 3 - 4 percent of the population. I admit that's not conclusive scientific evidence.
But its something to consider. In just what 2000 - 4000 years we went from major known countries with homosexuality down to just 3 -4 percent.
Can the 3- 4 percent really hang on ?
Will AIDS finally do them in or will scientist come up a way to prevent babies from being born gay ?
Extinction is forever and 3 - 4 percent is not good odds.
Earth Angel

Racine, WI

#50757 Feb 12, 2014
Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!
You realize this is EXACTLY what they said before inter-racial marriage, don't you?
do you really want to go down that road ?
which group has the highest broken home ratio ?
which group has the highest crime stats ?
It seems to me that family values do count very much.
So lets keep this about gay marriage before we go down a different road none of us want to talk about honestly.
Earth Angel

Racine, WI

#50758 Feb 12, 2014
j wilkinson wrote:
I had my first gay experience as a young curious man with a guy that lived a few blocks away from me(dennis v aka bubba) was a hot young man and i don't think it's up to anyone to be able to judge me for what i like without giving me an opportunity to sue you for discrimination
you might want to look up discrimination laws and what the requirements are before you willy nilly say stuff like that.
Civil Unions blew that argument right out of the water.
relax

United States

#50760 Feb 12, 2014
Earth Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
I love your sense of humor. Its refreshing in here instead of the same old tired insults.
Women rights
first off God does say when a man and a woman join in marriage they become as one so God in that sense does give women equal rights. But lets not go tit4tat on it.
Rather think of it this way.there is nothing sinful in giving rights to women but homosexuality is a sin. And most churches do view it as wrong to allow gay marriages.
A bigger point here is will they ALWAYS be allowed to refuse gays. Look at how gays go after anyone or any organization that dares to refuse them. Gays certainly do not believe in turning the other cheek and going elsewhere. I don't see anywhere that gays are saying they'll be ok with churches that refuse them. Show me a gay spokes person saying that.
You can't say with absolute positevity how someone will act. In other states with legalized marriage there's some churches that refuse to recognize the marriages. I've never heard of anyone protesting at those churches. people can speculate what will happen, but that's it. Look, its coming to every state and I would much rather teach my children tolerance then have them grow up the way I did. Scars from my younger years may not heal for some of the victims I made. These days I just don't get how people say tolerate my beliefs but I don't have to tolerate yours. Trust me, from personal experience, more damage will be done to a child raised in an untolerable household then a child raised in a world being taught tolerance. As an american we have the right to live free. There is nothing in the constitution that says only these kind of people can live free. By that you may not like someone's beliefs but they still have the right to live free. I have my right to believe the bible is out dated, just like you have the right to believe its still relevant. So where do you draw the line with freedom? Either we are free or we are not. If i have the right to tell someone they can't marry, then others have the right to tell me how to live. I refuse to luve like that anymore. I do not have the right to tell people how to live and vice versa. I'm a carnivore/ omnivore, I have the right to hunt and fish, but there's others who believe I don't have that right, but regardless how they think I do. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness applies to all americans not just to a select group. As long as that pursuit doesn't harm or break someone else's right to pursue that dream, what harm is it going to do to me and my family? Its not going to do any harm. Family values are held in each household individualy, its not national values. Family values were thrown out of public affairs the day they started selling crack pipes at the neighborhood gas station, those little viles with the roses in them, a 5 year old can walk in and buy. I don't hear anyone protesting that. Ill teach my family values, you teach yours your family value, its our inalienable rights as americans. We always flew an american flag proudly, but it wasn't until I wad older that I understood what that flag meant....freedom. Understanding Freedom is what taught me my tolerance. I may not believe or personally understand gay marriage, but that's the great thing about freedom, I don't have too. We are all free to live our lives in the way we see fit, as long as we don't impead others pursuit of the same.
relax

United States

#50761 Feb 12, 2014
I didn't mean to come across going tit4tat. It was just a statement on where some of my own personal confussion with the bible lays. A lot of it just doesn't make since to me anymore in this world. It makes since to you, awsome. To me there's just to much time that has past since the bible was written for all of it to apply today. Things change, the world evolves. I always hear the very religous people talking about the next coming of god. Maybe if that's a real possibility he'll say hey look I was wrong, I made homosexuals, let them be happy.

Lets take care of the more desperate issues and let people live free. Our fore fathers stole this country from the american indian in search of freedom. Have your beliefs but allow others to have there's. If i can make that change anyone can if they are ready for it. If they are not ready for change, It will not effect our personal family value, because that's a personal per family value. No family has exactly the. same values, its just how the world is and has always been.

Well its off to work, have a nice day
Earth Angel

Racine, WI

#50762 Feb 12, 2014
relax wrote:
<quoted text> You can't say with absolute positevity how someone will act. In other states with legalized marriage there's some churches that refuse to recognize the marriages. I've never heard of anyone protesting at those churches. people can speculate what will happen, but that's it. Look, its coming to every state and I would much rather teach my children tolerance then have them grow up the way I did. Scars from my younger years may not heal for some of the victims I made. These days I just don't get how people say tolerate my beliefs but I don't have to tolerate yours. Trust me, from personal experience, more damage will be done to a child raised in an untolerable household then a child raised in a world being taught tolerance. As an american we have the right to live free. There is nothing in the constitution that says only these kind of people can live free. By that you may not like someone's beliefs but they still have the right to live free. I have my right to believe the bible is out dated, just like you have the right to believe its still relevant. So where do you draw the line with freedom? Either we are free or we are not. If i have the right to tell someone they can't marry, then others have the right to tell me how to live. I refuse to luve like that anymore. I do not have the right to tell people how to live and vice versa. I'm a carnivore/ omnivore, I have the right to hunt and fish, but there's others who believe I don't have that right, but regardless how they think I do. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness applies to all americans not just to a select group. As long as that pursuit doesn't harm or break someone else's right to pursue that dream, what harm is it going to do to me and my family? Its not going to do any harm. Family values are held in each household individualy, its not national values. Family values were thrown out of public affairs the day they started selling crack pipes at the neighborhood gas station, those little viles with the roses in them, a 5 year old can walk in and buy. I don't hear anyone protesting that. Ill teach my family values, you teach yours your family value, its our inalienable rights as americans. We always flew an american flag proudly, but it wasn't until I wad older that I understood what that flag meant....freedom. Understanding Freedom is what taught me my tolerance. I may not believe or personally understand gay marriage, but that's the great thing about freedom, I don't have too. We are all free to live our lives in the way we see fit, as long as we don't impead others pursuit of the same.
lets slow down a bit you're tackling too many items at once. Please pick one. Freedom ? gays marriage ? family values ? drugs ?
we live in the most free society in the world. But we are not totally free to do what we want. We do face restrictions in EVERYTHING we do. Hunt and fish yes after you buy the license. And follow the limits on catch.
Live where we want to do sure if you got the money to buy the land. Buy and sell what you want only if you follow commerce laws.

Right now churches can refuse gay marriage but seriously how long do you honestly think that will hold up. Some baker refuses to make a cake and the gays ran him into bankruptcy.
Even a church can run into bankruptcy. At some point churches will be forced into it or face a ton of expensive lawsuits.

Family values are everything. A child deserves a father and a mother. I was a single parent and not by choice so i know how important both genders are for raising a child. Gays cannot offer that no matter how loving they might be.

Drugs only an idiot would start using drugs.

Now please just one issue at a time otherwise this gets lengthy. I know you got a lot to say. And i'm willing to comply but lets be fair to others and limit it to just one topic.
relax

United States

#50763 Feb 12, 2014
One last thing the part about women's rights was to show how things do change. 100 years ago a woman didn't have much say in life and many people used the bible as their explanation as too why.
Poof

Madison, WI

#50764 Feb 12, 2014
Earth Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
lets slow down a bit you're tackling too many items at once. Please pick one. Freedom ? gays marriage ? family values ? drugs ?
we live in the most free society in the world. But we are not totally free to do what we want. We do face restrictions in EVERYTHING we do. Hunt and fish yes after you buy the license. And follow the limits on catch.
Live where we want to do sure if you got the money to buy the land. Buy and sell what you want only if you follow commerce laws.
Right now churches can refuse gay marriage but seriously how long do you honestly think that will hold up. Some baker refuses to make a cake and the gays ran him into bankruptcy.
Even a church can run into bankruptcy. At some point churches will be forced into it or face a ton of expensive lawsuits.
Family values are everything. A child deserves a father and a mother. I was a single parent and not by choice so i know how important both genders are for raising a child. Gays cannot offer that no matter how loving they might be.
Drugs only an idiot would start using drugs.
Now please just one issue at a time otherwise this gets lengthy. I know you got a lot to say. And i'm willing to comply but lets be fair to others and limit it to just one topic.
What would happen if a church refused to marry a mixed race couple, based on religion?

Why are gay/lesbian couples incapable of raising children ?
Earth Angel

Racine, WI

#50765 Feb 12, 2014
relax wrote:
One last thing the part about women's rights was to show how things do change. 100 years ago a woman didn't have much say in life and many people used the bible as their explanation as too why.
you'll learn in life the more things change the more they remain the same.
Earth Angel

Racine, WI

#50766 Feb 12, 2014
Poof wrote:
<quoted text>
What would happen if a church refused to marry a mixed race couple, based on religion?
Why are gay/lesbian couples incapable of raising children ?
when that happens you let me know. Post the link when it happens.

incapable ? is this your attempt at a trick question.?
you need a home school course from Dusty's school of twisting words.

i didn't use that word incapable that is not at all what i meant.
Go back and read what i wrote.
and here's a tip come up with your OWN thoughts and we can discuss those too.
Angel

Aurora, CO

#50767 Feb 12, 2014
Earth Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
do you really want to go down that road ?
which group has the highest crime stats ?
It seems to me that family values do count very much.
So lets keep this about gay marriage before we go down a different road none of us want to talk about honestly.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/12/divo...

Alaskan/Native American. Do research.
Earth Angel

Racine, WI

#50768 Feb 12, 2014
Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/12/divo...
Alaskan/Native American. Do research.
Dusty did you drop your registered name ?
Because my comments were to Dusty and it wasn't about divorce.
it was about being refused marriages based on race.
maybe you should go back to reading what Dusty said too.
Angel

Aurora, CO

#50769 Feb 12, 2014

^ you asked which group has the highest broken home ratio.
Angel

Aurora, CO

#50770 Feb 12, 2014
Btw, anyone can reply to anyone. It's a forum.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/for...
Earth Angel

Racine, WI

#50771 Feb 12, 2014
Angel wrote:
^ you asked which group has the highest broken home ratio.
broken homes do not always mean a divorce home
but again i was referring to Dusty's comment about being refused marriage based on race.
and my comment was you DON'T really want to go down that road because it would lead to talking about broken homes and that is NOT what i wanted to talk about

And if i didnt want to talk to Dusty about race marriages i dont and won't talk to you about it either.You're wasting your time. That is the point i was making to Dusty and to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
State Rep 28th Bob Rita is not addressing the ... (Jul '14) 2 min Unthinking Fools 140
Midlo.police (Mar '12) 2 hr trumbull 75
corruption 3 hr The wise old Socr... 15
Stevo at the City Council meeting 4 hr unthinking fools 62
Did you attend tonight's Flooding meeting at Pa... 6 hr People of free will 9
What happened to Beautiful Mexican mural @ olde... (May '09) 6 hr People of free will 404
Open Letter to All Veteran's 7 hr Thanks Again 43

Dixmoor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dixmoor Mortgages