moving to Essex
Nikki

Mokena, IL

#1 Jul 12, 2014
Trying to get a grasp of essex IL and if its a good town to move to with 2 children? Why such low ratings for the grade schools?
What

Ashburn, VA

#2 Jul 12, 2014
I thought they went to Reed Custer?
Baseball mom

Joliet, IL

#3 Jul 12, 2014
http://www.mccolly.com/IL/Essex

Don't know about Braceville, etc, but Reed-Custer is a good district ... no?
Nikki

Mokena, IL

#4 Jul 12, 2014
What wrote:
I thought they went to Reed Custer?
They do but I'm seeing a rating of 4 and 6 for the lower grade. The high school is an 8 which isn't bad. I'm more worried about the grade schools. But is the environment a good place for a family? Are the schools locked out from unknown people coming in like Channahon and Minooka schools?
Nikki

Mokena, IL

#5 Jul 12, 2014
http://www.greatschools.org/illinois/braidwoo...

See middle schools are 4 and 5 out of 10.
What

Ashburn, VA

#6 Jul 12, 2014
If by that you mean "be accepted" then I would say yes they will be fine. My kids all are having great educational and social experiences at Reed Custer. I can't speak for everyone though. I would chose RC over Coal City or Gardner-South Wilmington and Braceville. Involvement in school activities right away will help too.
Nikki

Mokena, IL

#7 Jul 13, 2014
Why would you choose RC over coal city? Just trying to get a full grasp of it. Based on school reviews coal city seems to have better school system. I'm gonna have to take a drive through Braidwood and essex today.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#8 Jul 13, 2014
I would pick Reed Custer over Wilmo and Coal City but no chance over Herscher. Especially for sports.
What

San Jose, CA

#9 Jul 13, 2014
Nikki wrote:
Why would you choose RC over coal city? Just trying to get a full grasp of it. Based on school reviews coal city seems to have better school system. I'm gonna have to take a drive through Braidwood and essex today.
Nikki, I believe you have to deal with so much more uppity, click, back stabbing people in Coal City. It's one thing for the parents to handle it but a lot of the kids have a hard time fitting in. I think kindergarten through grades 4 are a little more innocent, it would be easier. After that it's dog eat dog. Depends on how the kids handle it. Mine all went to Reed Custer , we now live in Coal City, our grandkids go to school and live in Coal City. There is social issues no matter where you are. There is gossip and cruelty no matter where you are. It is pretty bad in CC.

“The blessings of liberty”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#10 Jul 13, 2014
Essex is a nice quiet little town. The school district has it's share of problems but as a whole it's very good. We have had great success with our kids here. I don't think you will be sorry if you move to Essex. I'm interested in the school rating though. Where did you get those numbers? Was it rated by parents, students, or teachers? Sometimes those numbers can be inaccurate depending on where they came from.
Deployed 13yrs of service

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#11 Jul 13, 2014
Nikki,
Essex is a relaxed town, it has ups and downs. I recently moved my family to Essex before I deployed. We have had no problems. People look out for each other and the little ones would be ok. In the winter it's a little sketchy driving out of town with the heavy snow on Essex road. My fiancÚ is home schooling our girls, but the RC schools are not bad. The Essex club is always fun for the family, a beach, decent spots for fishing, and a campground. If you like fire arms you can shoot and not be bothered by pesky police over stepping their powers and stripping your civil liberties. The golf course is ok, its not Cinder Ridge.$20 for a cart and 18 holes of golf, I wont complain.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Post Office 38 min Employee 2
Elected the Independents 4/4/2017 1 hr Independents 1
Blacks and Uneducated Whites 1 hr Huh 2
Rita-Vargas Patronage Island 1 hr next sign 67
Back door deals 5.0 2 hr no fran 30
Domingo Vargas next Democratic Mayor of Blue Is... (Apr '09) 2 hr Race Card 484
Joe Gatrell has family ties to Peloquin regime?! 2 hr Breaking News 56

Dixmoor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance