Comments
201 - 220 of 252 Comments Last updated Jan 17, 2014
Home Rule

Chicago, IL

#212 Oct 13, 2013
No Doubt wrote:
<quoted text>
Our elected officials are proving why they are unfit to hold public office.
Home Rule is for cowards.!
ride

Chicago, IL

#213 Oct 13, 2013
Home Rule wrote:
<quoted text>
Home Rule is for cowards.!
so we got your vote. That's awesome. Go home rule.
Dynomite

Chicago, IL

#214 Oct 13, 2013
ride wrote:
<quoted text>so we got your vote. That's awesome. Go home rule.
Dynomite, and Term Limits!
Good Stuff

Chicago, IL

#215 Oct 13, 2013
Dynomite wrote:
<quoted text>
Dynomite, and Term Limits!
No Doubt!
Evil Won

Chicago, IL

#216 Oct 13, 2013
HAVE NOTHING TO SAY wrote:
YES, NOTHING IS GOING TO GET DONE.
THE ROADS WILL REMAIN THE SAME!
THE BRIDGES WILL BE CLOSED!
THE 16 MILLION DOLLARS THAT IS PAID
WILL GO INTO A GENERAL FUND FOR THE MAYOR
AND HIS PUPPETS TO DO WHAT THEY WANT!!!!
BLUE ISLAND WILL TURN INTO A BAD AREA AND WE HAVE
NO ONE TO BLAME BUT OURSELVES!!!!!
EVIL HAS WON AGAIN!!!
I AM HERE TO TELL YOU KARMA IS WITCH.
IT IS THERE AND IT WILL HAVE THE LAST WORD.
I JUST HOPE I AM AROUND TO HEAR ABOUT IT!!!!
Evil won in a record short time.
No Information Provided

Chicago, IL

#217 Oct 13, 2013
Rita, who said his House district includes “most of Robbins,” was more circumspect.

“I would not sponsor any legislation for quick-take unless there were public hearings or meetings, and everyone impacted by this plan had a chance to ask questions and get answers,” he said.“With the veto session beginning in about two weeks, I don’t think there’s enough time to do that.”

Rita said Robbins officials had briefed him on the plan and talked about the need for quick-take legislation but had not described how many homes would be taken or the plan’s wide-ranging impact on the village and beyond.

“With a project of this size, there would likely be an impact on traffic on neighboring suburbs, and we ought to consider that and any other impacts,” Rita said.“Everyone, including the bordering suburbs, should have a chance to speak out on the plan.”

But Rita and Davis emphasized that they understood Robbins’ financial predicament and the history of the incinerator project, which sparked opposition by neighboring towns that eventually resulted in the state withdrawing financial incentives, undermining the original developer of the incinerator.

While environmental activists and political leaders outside Robbins fear pollution, as one of the poorest suburbs in the nation Robbins needs money to pay its police officers and firefighters.

Gloria Scott, who owns a home in Robbins, has different concerns.

“They’re going to be blasting underground to make tunnels under people who are living in their houses,” Scott said.“What happens if the ground collapses? What happens if the blast breaks windows or causes other damage to those homes?

“Robbins is a historic community, one of the first black suburbs in the country, and no one is concerned about the people who live there. There was one meeting about this called by the village, and very few people knew about it.”

This is a much larger project, much more complex, and would directly impact thousands of people, inside and outside of Robbins.

Davis noted that before any quick-take legislation could be passed, the corporation needs to comply with a House rule requiring details about its plans.

I’m not satisfied with that. Davis is to be commended for meeting with local residents opposed to the project, but ALM needs to be accountable to the public.

Its agreement with Robbins has a clause saying that documents involved in this deal are not subject to the Illinois Freedom of Information Act.

Davis noted that as a home-rule municipality, Robbins could use its power of eminent domain to take the land needed for public benefit but for some reason has chosen to go through the state.

All I know for sure is that no one seems to know enough about this plan to answer questions.
BGA

Chicago, IL

#218 Oct 14, 2013
No Information Provided wrote:
Rita, who said his House district includes “most of Robbins,” was more circumspect.
“I would not sponsor any legislation for quick-take unless there were public hearings or meetings, and everyone impacted by this plan had a chance to ask questions and get answers,” he said.“With the veto session beginning in about two weeks, I don’t think there’s enough time to do that.”
Rita said Robbins officials had briefed him on the plan and talked about the need for quick-take legislation but had not described how many homes would be taken or the plan’s wide-ranging impact on the village and beyond.
“With a project of this size, there would likely be an impact on traffic on neighboring suburbs, and we ought to consider that and any other impacts,” Rita said.“Everyone, including the bordering suburbs, should have a chance to speak out on the plan.”
But Rita and Davis emphasized that they understood Robbins’ financial predicament and the history of the incinerator project, which sparked opposition by neighboring towns that eventually resulted in the state withdrawing financial incentives, undermining the original developer of the incinerator.
While environmental activists and political leaders outside Robbins fear pollution, as one of the poorest suburbs in the nation Robbins needs money to pay its police officers and firefighters.
Gloria Scott, who owns a home in Robbins, has different concerns.
“They’re going to be blasting underground to make tunnels under people who are living in their houses,” Scott said.“What happens if the ground collapses? What happens if the blast breaks windows or causes other damage to those homes?
“Robbins is a historic community, one of the first black suburbs in the country, and no one is concerned about the people who live there. There was one meeting about this called by the village, and very few people knew about it.”
This is a much larger project, much more complex, and would directly impact thousands of people, inside and outside of Robbins.
Davis noted that before any quick-take legislation could be passed, the corporation needs to comply with a House rule requiring details about its plans.
I’m not satisfied with that. Davis is to be commended for meeting with local residents opposed to the project, but ALM needs to be accountable to the public.
Its agreement with Robbins has a clause saying that documents involved in this deal are not subject to the Illinois Freedom of Information Act.
Davis noted that as a home-rule municipality, Robbins could use its power of eminent domain to take the land needed for public benefit but for some reason has chosen to go through the state.
All I know for sure is that no one seems to know enough about this plan to answer questions.
SHINE A BRIGHT LIGHT!
Good to see you step up Phil.
Answers are always in the details. In this case there are NONE.
Just Follow the Money

Chicago, IL

#219 Oct 14, 2013
BGA wrote:
<quoted text>
SHINE A BRIGHT LIGHT!
Good to see you step up Phil.
Answers are always in the details. In this case there are NONE.
When you can't get answers follow the money.....and see who is behind the curtain.
The truth

Midlothian, IL

#220 Oct 15, 2013
ride wrote:
<quoted text>so we got your vote. That's awesome. Go home rule.
This Vargas supporter proves with this comment that Vargas ran under the guise of being associated with Peloquin. He never showed transparency of being aligned with the Rita's and their plan to double dip or control our town. All without are vote to elect them. Yes poster you won but not for long. Continue to tell everyone you know about Topix.
ride

Chicago, IL

#221 Oct 16, 2013
What shall I tell them, this time?
Keep Reading

Chicago, IL

#222 Oct 16, 2013
ride wrote:
What shall I tell them, this time?
Stay informed.
End of Report

Chicago, IL

#223 Nov 1, 2013
Low voter turnout generally favors incumbents who have the ability to get their voters to the polls, if only out of self-interest — a job or contract or necessary service — and the muscle to knock challengers off the ballot, outspend them, or outhustle them on election day.

So the challengers usually lose, and so do the residents, but it’s hard to feel too sorry for people who tolerate business as usual by failing to pay attention or vote.
No Doubt

Chicago, IL

#224 Nov 2, 2013
End of Report wrote:
Low voter turnout generally favors incumbents who have the ability to get their voters to the polls, if only out of self-interest — a job or contract or necessary service — and the muscle to knock challengers off the ballot, outspend them, or outhustle them on election day.
So the challengers usually lose, and so do the residents, but it’s hard to feel too sorry for people who tolerate business as usual by failing to pay attention or vote.
It appears the system of expanded services, perks and employment rewards isn’t a government function but a government-funded voter bribery system designed to keep 10 percent of the population under control.

Blue Island has about 21,000 residents, but with low voter turnout it only takes less than 2,500 votes to win, which is generally 1,500 families.

Between the city, high school, college, park district and grammar school there are approximately 2,000 jobs and tens of millions in government contracts.
Really Powerful Stuff

Chicago, IL

#225 Nov 2, 2013
No Doubt wrote:
<quoted text>
It appears the system of expanded services, perks and employment rewards isn’t a government function but a government-funded voter bribery system designed to keep 10 percent of the population under control.
Blue Island has about 21,000 residents, but with low voter turnout it only takes less than 2,500 votes to win, which is generally 1,500 families.
Between the city, high school, college, park district and grammar school there are approximately 2,000 jobs and tens of millions in government contracts.
http://www.bettergov.org/payroll/
Epic Failure

Chicago, IL

#226 Nov 3, 2013
No Doubt wrote:
<quoted text>
Our elected officials are proving why they are unfit to hold public office.
Nothing has been accomplished for the good of the community of the people, Vargas does not have a single thoughtful answer for anything. He is as useless a mayor as he was mayor pro tem and alderman.
Bullpen

Oak Lawn, IL

#227 Nov 3, 2013
Epic Failure wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing has been accomplished for the good of the community of the people, Vargas does not have a single thoughtful answer for anything. He is as useless a mayor as he was mayor pro tem and alderman.
Vargas is keeping chair warm for Rita's real candidate in the next election.
Please

Roscoe, IL

#228 Nov 3, 2013
Bullpen wrote:
<quoted text>Vargas is keeping chair warm for Rita's real candidate in the next election.
Is it true thatVargas has a bodyguard? Please say its a joke!!!!
No Concern

Chicago, IL

#229 Nov 3, 2013
Body Guards are not the greatest concern for him or his failures. Jeopardizing his law license should be.
Paid Position

Chicago, IL

#230 Nov 4, 2013
&#9670; Hiring Vargas campaign volunteer Don Marchbanks as director of the Blue Island Emergency Management Agency, which handles traffic and crowd control at public events. This previously was an unpaid position. Marchbanks was given a $12,000-a-year salary.
Peddling Influence

Chicago, IL

#231 Nov 4, 2013
No Doubt wrote:
<quoted text>
Not public service self service.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bremen 228 Launches Facebook page 1 hr Fritz 8
Chicago Ridge Village Board 2015 1 hr Artful Dodger 50
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr I Hate You 49,487
Parks in midlo (May '09) 2 hr screw this 40
RR track closing 3 hr The 111th Street ... 1
Finley Jr. High School (Nov '09) 3 hr Extra money 19
One hurt in shooting near Oak Forest; person in... 4 hr Resident Extreme 2
•••
•••
•••

Dixmoor Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••