Why Kurtz? A for profit company

Why Kurtz? A for profit company

Posted in the Dixmoor Forum

Fire department

Tinley Park, IL

#1 Jul 16, 2014
I just heard that ANOTHER for profit company will be " protecting" our families here in Tinley.

I don't care about all the crap about Fulltime vs Parttime firefighters here, so keep your whining down.

I care that most of us living in Tinley are paying taxes in the same amount as Orland, but we only have a part time fire department with a for profit company doing our medical calls.

Orland has at least 6 stations and about 100 firefighters. Why are we not protected like they are? Since we pay close to the same to our town as they do? Are our loved ones and our possessions not as important as Orland Park or Frankfort residents?

My family is more important to me than a for profit company. All they care about is the money, not the patient. And how fast they can get back in town from taking our loved ones to the hospital so they can go to the next money making call.

Plus, Kurtz was the lowest bidder. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the lowest bidder doing our EMS.if we were building decks then sure, the lowest bidder is great. But not when it comes to life saving skills.

Plus, mark my words, they WILL approach the Village about taking over firefighting very soon. That is the reason they are in Tinley now and are doing it for so much cheaper than Trace. There is a motive behind this.

So then, the house fires and auto accidents will be handled by the lowest bidder, not the best for the job.

I am a career firefighter that works in this area, so my facts are correct. but I'm not arguing the career vs part time thing here, so leave those comments out!!

I'm just saying that for the money we pay this town, we deserve and should demand better than a for profit company protecting our most prised possessions, our loved ones!!

I understand that in business, you should try to save money, but not at the expense of people's lives.

Please, look at this situation as adults. Don't reply with childish statements about career vs Parttime, as I didn't go there. It's not my focus.

Please research the Kurtz/Trace companies and their history. Research the bitter battle between the Vanderburg family members and how they undercut each other at every turn because they do not like each other.

The Vandenburgs, by the way, own, operate or have stakes in the majority of private ambulance companies in this area and Kurtz.

I'm just asking for clarity on when our safety will be taken seriously for the money we pay this town?
Thank you
Career Guy

United States

#3 Jul 17, 2014
Very well said. I am also career in the area and went to the village board meeting. They don't care at all. Didn't even bat an eye. I agree 100 percent that Kurtz will try and take over the fire department. It happened in New Lenox and will happen in Tinley. Tommy Vanna will do whatever it takes to line his own pockets. One of his advertising points was "We're gonna Put Tinley Park on the side of the ambulance" I am whole heartedly against privatization of EMS service but they got rid of trace to save 200 thousand a year. They kicked the same medics who know the side streets and short cuts of this Town like the back of their hand right outta here. We are going to have disgruntled paramedics making 10 dollars an hour taking care of ourselves and loved ones. That place is a revolving door. Thank god I live close enough to Mokena station 3. I'll drive there before helping Kurtz line their pockets.
concerned

Midlothian, IL

#4 Jul 17, 2014
I am perplexed. Does Kurtz take a different paramedic test or is there con ed different from any other paramedic in the state? Don't they have GPS in their ambulances to help guide them? Is every paramedic on Trace a resident of Tinley? How did they learn the town? It seems to me people are basing their opinions on a lot of assumptions. Maybe Trace was over billing Tinley. I asked a friend and he said Kurtz provides paramedic services to a lot of communities.
Fire Department

Chicago, IL

#5 Jul 18, 2014
Its not about GPS or medic tests. But no they don't have GPS, and yes, they take the same test. My concern is that for the taxes I pay to Tinley, why is my Fire Department not staffed with career fire/medics?

A private company that is the lowest bidder has been chosen to protect my family. Now, don't go telling me to move, that is a stupid reply. And yes, I knew the staffing situation when I moved here. I just don't agree with a private company for MY money.

Also, I am a firefighter, so I have first hand knowledge of these private companies.If you are not in this field, please do not make un-educated comments on this subject.

Trace was over-billing. That is a fact. All the for profit companies do. Their recovery rate they charge patients is MUCH more than career departments bill. Mine is one of them. But having a for profit company in the field of life saving is crazy. Some of these companies give their crews bonus pay per each ambulance call they run in a shift. So that means they will hurry to the scene, hurry through an assessment, hurry to the hospital, then hurry back so they can get another call and get the bonus. My family is more important to me than that.

Also, Tinley does get a lot of back-to back-to back ambulance calls. As of now, Trace can handle this call volume because their base is in Tinley. Kurtz is going to need Mutual aid help from other towns like; Oak Forest, Frankfort, Orland and Mokena. Oh, who by the way are all career fire departments. Not that I am pro Trace, they can just handle the call volume. Trust me, I would much rather have an ambulance from Orland station 4 any day take care of my family.

I have a friend who works for Trace. They say there has been multiple times this summer that there have been 7 ambulance calls going on at one time, where will Kurtz get the ambulances to go to those calls? Oh, I forgot, the surrounding career departments.

Long story short here is this; I pay a shit load in taxes to this town. Why can't my family be as protected as other towns who pay just as much as I do? Why are the residents of Tinley not as important as those other towns?This is the question I want answered.
Bookkeeper

Orland Park, IL

#6 Jul 19, 2014
Look at the Park District portion of your tax bill. Also the school district covering west of Harlem Ave has a ton of children to educate and a relatively small commercial tax base. In addition the school district was quite ambitious a number of years ago with school construction. Hope this helps you figure out where your tax dollars are being spent. The long and short of it is you can' have everything and low taxes to boot.
Facts

Maywood, IL

#7 Jul 23, 2014
What I find shameful is on both ends. You are a career firefighter. Great. But everyone had to get their start somewhere. Some people are lucky enough to get a dept position off the bat when they start their career. Many people have to work the privates; some positions being a contract position. I sure hope your beef isn't with the medics themselves. A job is a job in this day and age and their education and dedication to their job and patients shouldn't be correlated to the company they work for you. You can't sit here and tell everyone exactly how they feel (being disgruntled, chasing money, etc). This seems like it comes down to a career vs. private issue and a firefighter vs. EMS issue. But do understand, I am not down playing the concern you show about where your taxes go. The issue you should have is with the village. They are making the choices to act in this fashion (having a part time dept and looking for private EMS). Also, Kurtz doesn't provide call bonuses for the contract side so your argument there is irrelevant. They do provide GPS in all contracted rigs as well so that is also something you may have been misinformed on. I am not against your concerns here but I think you have some misdirected anger. It shouldn't be a huge division in public service of career vs. private, etc but it is a needlessly created separation. Again, everyone is on the same team. Most people are in the Fire/EMS field because they have a genuine love for what they do. Don't cut short the medics just because of who they work for. Tinley made this choice...not anyone else.
Fire Department

Tinley Park, IL

#8 Jul 25, 2014
Facts wrote:
What I find shameful is on both ends. You are a career firefighter. Great. But everyone had to get their start somewhere. Some people are lucky enough to get a dept position off the bat when they start their career. Many people have to work the privates; some positions being a contract position. I sure hope your beef isn't with the medics themselves. A job is a job in this day and age and their education and dedication to their job and patients shouldn't be correlated to the company they work for you. You can't sit here and tell everyone exactly how they feel (being disgruntled, chasing money, etc). This seems like it comes down to a career vs. private issue and a firefighter vs. EMS issue. But do understand, I am not down playing the concern you show about where your taxes go. The issue you should have is with the village. They are making the choices to act in this fashion (having a part time dept and looking for private EMS). Also, Kurtz doesn't provide call bonuses for the contract side so your argument there is irrelevant. They do provide GPS in all contracted rigs as well so that is also something you may have been misinformed on. I am not against your concerns here but I think you have some misdirected anger. It shouldn't be a huge division in public service of career vs. private, etc but it is a needlessly created separation. Again, everyone is on the same team. Most people are in the Fire/EMS field because they have a genuine love for what they do. Don't cut short the medics just because of who they work for. Tinley made this choice...not anyone else.
I agree with you on all your points. My concern is for sure not on those that will be doing the work. I myself started as a part time firefighter until getting a career job. My beef is for sure with Tinley and the choice it has made to out source our protection to a for profit company. As for the schools, that is a moot point with me, since my kids do not go to public schools.
Part Time FD

Midlothian, IL

#9 Jul 25, 2014
Fire Department wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you on all your points. My concern is for sure not on those that will be doing the work. I myself started as a part time firefighter until getting a career job. My beef is for sure with Tinley and the choice it has made to out source our protection to a for profit company. As for the schools, that is a moot point with me, since my kids do not go to public schools.
Ist he company who collects Tinleys garbage a for profit company? Yes they are. I am going to stop you in your tracks before you start. Why doesn't Tinley hire their own garbagemen. After all it is a very big health and safety issue. After all how many people use the fire/ems services in Tinley? I would bet less than 10%. Everyone creates and garbage and needs the services of the garbage collection service. If they did not collect the garbage it would be a very serious health and safety issue. By the way the medics who work for Buds have wsy more experience than most suburban fire/medics because of the area they work in the seriousness of their calls and the volume. And one last point if Oak Forest or Orland had 7 calls in a roll what would they do after all they could not handle that amount of calls in a roll? Oh that is right they would call in others townsvto assist. You have not one valid point.
Facts

Maywood, IL

#10 Jul 28, 2014
And word has it around the field that Tinley is going to treat these new medics like crap simply because they are unhappy that they will now be housed in quarters with them? Wow...definitely a separation of a brotherhood there. So those medics are "crap" and deserve (purported) bad treatment when they are on the clock with a private, but when they are at their part time FD job they are awesome? Seems like there is some serious animosity being misdirected on all ends. I used to be a private medic. No need for this behavior. Everyone on all ends needs to grow up, realize the situation at hand, and work with each other. These medics are going to be lambasted for no reason.
Dont you worry

Elwood, IL

#11 Aug 4, 2014
Have no concern people, you have 12 deputy assistant fire chiefs with 40 thousand dollar tahoes. They are all management wizards. They will handle this great dilemna!

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!
Vulcan

Joliet, IL

#12 Aug 15, 2014
Facts wrote:
And word has it around the field that Tinley is going to treat these new medics like crap simply because they are unhappy that they will now be housed in quarters with them? Wow...definitely a separation of a brotherhood there. So those medics are "crap" and deserve (purported) bad treatment when they are on the clock with a private, but when they are at their part time FD job they are awesome? Seems like there is some serious animosity being misdirected on all ends. I used to be a private medic. No need for this behavior. Everyone on all ends needs to grow up, realize the situation at hand, and work with each other. These medics are going to be lambasted for no reason.
Another typical response on these forums! "word is" "purported" are you serious??? You haven't a clue what you are talking about. These medics will be treated with the same respect that any private contractor in a firehouse doing work would. Why even comment when you have know knowledge of anything that is going on?? Oh wait you used to be a private medic!!!! That must qualify you to comment on this! Give me a break!!! It's people like you that screw it up for the good ones. How bout before spouting off you actually get the facts!
Facts

Chicago, IL

#13 Aug 18, 2014
Vulcan wrote:
<quoted text>
Another typical response on these forums! "word is" "purported" are you serious??? You haven't a clue what you are talking about. These medics will be treated with the same respect that any private contractor in a firehouse doing work would. Why even comment when you have know knowledge of anything that is going on?? Oh wait you used to be a private medic!!!! That must qualify you to comment on this! Give me a break!!! It's people like you that screw it up for the good ones. How bout before spouting off you actually get the facts!
Look who's calling the kettle black. And what gives you the authority to comment on conditions if you aren't there? What qualifies you? You honestly sound like an unintelligent angry tool. Where are your facts then? Lay them out by all means! Show us all the error of our ways. Puh-lease.
Vulcan

Joliet, IL

#14 Aug 21, 2014
Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Look who's calling the kettle black. And what gives you the authority to comment on conditions if you aren't there? What qualifies you? You honestly sound like an unintelligent angry tool. Where are your facts then? Lay them out by all means! Show us all the error of our ways. Puh-lease.
Authority?? Well the fact that I am a citizen of the U.S.A. gives me the right to speak as it does you. However the difference between you and I is that I actually have the facts and knowledge to back up my claim where as you are relaying on "purported" facts, which is dangerous and a sign of someone who is ill informed and uneducated regarding this topic. I am neither angry nor a tool, again a sign of an uneducated individual, reverting to name calling, I am however amazed that you actually are trying to justify your post. I did share the facts with you, these medics will be treated just like any other private contractor that would be working in one of the firehouses. I am sorry if you have had bad experiences in the past or whatever else might be your issue regarding this topic, but to just say that's what you heard is just plain wrong. If you knew for a fact that these medics were being treated poorly and presented those then we could have an intelligent is discussion, to date that has yet to happen, you would rather revert to name calling and supposing, well good luck with whatever it is you may be looking for and I truly hope you can see this for what it is. Have wonderful day.
Nobody

Palos Hills, IL

#15 Aug 21, 2014
I have heard that the Kurtz medics have, indeed, been treated very poorly since they've been in quarters. Midnight drills, extra chores, & general work hostility. However, I have also heard of the idea that Kurtz may try to take over Fire/EMS altogether, so discord may very well be understood (but NOT excused). What matters most is the PEOPLE that serve Tinley, or any town for that matter. Contract, union, part-time, volunteer.... these are PEOPLE that set aside their own families, at times, to serve other PEOPLE. Once we see that, perhaps the Village (or, perhaps, Chief Dunn?) & the residents will come together to find a workable solution.
Vulcan

Joliet, IL

#16 Aug 22, 2014
Nobody wrote:
I have heard that the Kurtz medics have, indeed, been treated very poorly since they've been in quarters. Midnight drills, extra chores, & general work hostility. However, I have also heard of the idea that Kurtz may try to take over Fire/EMS altogether, so discord may very well be understood (but NOT excused). What matters most is the PEOPLE that serve Tinley, or any town for that matter. Contract, union, part-time, volunteer.... these are PEOPLE that set aside their own families, at times, to serve other PEOPLE. Once we see that, perhaps the Village (or, perhaps, Chief Dunn?) & the residents will come together to find a workable solution.
Again with the "I heard" unless you know, which obviously you don't then please refrain from commenting. What are you looking to do? or what are you trying to accomplish by bringing up things you "heard"? I can assure that there are no midnight drills and no chores have been assigned to them by fire department personnel. There is no discord other than perhaps the uncomfortably of something new, and it is agreed that what is best for the residents should be at the forefront of anything the village or department does. I again am just confused as to why people who on their own omission have no knowledge of what is going on but take to this forum to spout off. As I have stated many times previously, if you have actual facts and can present them in an educated matter then perhaps a healthy debate can ensue. But to just go off what you "hear" is just not right. Many people have dedicated a fair amount of their lives to making the Tinley Park Fire Department what it is and for people to make blanket statements about it's members without any facts is disrespectful to say the least. Have a good weekend.
Anonymous

Glen Ellyn, IL

#17 Jan 27, 2015
Fire Department wrote:
Its not about GPS or medic tests. But no they don't have GPS, and yes, they take the same test. My concern is that for the taxes I pay to Tinley, why is my Fire Department not staffed with career fire/medics?
A private company that is the lowest bidder has been chosen to protect my family. Now, don't go telling me to move, that is a stupid reply. And yes, I knew the staffing situation when I moved here. I just don't agree with a private company for MY money.
Also, I am a firefighter, so I have first hand knowledge of these private companies.If you are not in this field, please do not make un-educated comments on this subject.
Trace was over-billing. That is a fact. All the for profit companies do. Their recovery rate they charge patients is MUCH more than career departments bill. Mine is one of them. But having a for profit company in the field of life saving is crazy. Some of these companies give their crews bonus pay per each ambulance call they run in a shift. So that means they will hurry to the scene, hurry through an assessment, hurry to the hospital, then hurry back so they can get another call and get the bonus. My family is more important to me than that.
Also, Tinley does get a lot of back-to back-to back ambulance calls. As of now, Trace can handle this call volume because their base is in Tinley. Kurtz is going to need Mutual aid help from other towns like; Oak Forest, Frankfort, Orland and Mokena. Oh, who by the way are all career fire departments. Not that I am pro Trace, they can just handle the call volume. Trust me, I would much rather have an ambulance from Orland station 4 any day take care of my family.
I have a friend who works for Trace. They say there has been multiple times this summer that there have been 7 ambulance calls going on at one time, where will Kurtz get the ambulances to go to those calls? Oh, I forgot, the surrounding career departments.
Long story short here is this; I pay a shit load in taxes to this town. Why can't my family be as protected as other towns who pay just as much as I do? Why are the residents of Tinley not as important as those other towns?This is the question I want answered.
Trust me, working at Kurtz the call bonus is no where worth rushing for. The medics themselves will do their jobs as well as they can for your families. The bigger issue is how Kurtz the company will use those resources, and how much stress the medics are under from being underpaid/overworked. Also, just fyi, all the medics on Tinley contract do have to have at least 2 years of experience. I hope this is helpful as facts, you are damn right though about kurtz being a revolving door.
Anonymous

Tinley Park, IL

#18 Friday Aug 14
Actually the fire dept guys have been very friendly to the kurtz medics. I havent had any problems working with them

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blue Island needs a Alderman like this 3 hr another disapoint... 3
Jewel to close third week of June (Apr '09) 3 hr Wake up call 465
Water usage 6 hr trumbull 135
tough guy trumbull 6 hr trumbull 10
Robert Barillo 9 hr Not Racist 1
26 years ago today Jaclyn Dowaliby disappeared... (Sep '14) 9 hr Tracker Backer 19
City Attorney ShawnTe Raines has No Municipal A... (Jan '14) 10 hr billable hours 122
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dixmoor Mortgages