Oak Lawn fire chief to also run Chicago Ridge FD

Tuesday Jul 8 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Southtown Star

Under an agreement unanimously approved Tuesday night by the village board, Sheets will remain as chief while also overseeing the Chicago Ridge Fire Department through 2016.

Comments
1 - 20 of 22 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
By George

Evergreen Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Friday Jul 11
 
Oak Lawn Fire Chief George Sheets is getting a new job, but he’s not leaving his current one. Under an agreement unanimously approved Tuesday night by the Oak Lawn village board, Sheets will remain as chief while also overseeing the Chicago Ridge Fire Department through 2016.
The Chicago Ridge Village Board is expected to approve the agreement at its July 15 meeting, Oak Lawn Village Manager Larry Deetjen said.
Deetjen said Chicago Ridge Mayor Chuck Tokar approached Oak Lawn with the idea of Sheets becoming fire chief in both villages. Tokar could not be reached Tuesday night regarding Sheets taking over as the village’s fire chief.
Sheets left the village board meeting before it was over and declined to comment on taking over the neighboring fire department.
The move comes a few weeks after Chicago Ridge Fire Chief Robert Muszynski resigned; citing “personal differences” with the village’s elected officials, specifically Tokar, over possible changes the village is considering for the fire department.
His resignation came at the urging of Tokar, several Chicago Ridge trustees have said, but the board accepted Muszynski’s letter of resignation last month.
Muszynski’s resignation occurred several weeks after the village board encouraged Tokar to look at whether firefighting and/or ambulance service could be provided more efficiently — a move that has Chicago Ridge firefighters worried about losing their jobs.
The changes under consideration could include hiring a private ambulance service or eliminating the fire department and joining a fire protection district, Tokar has said.
Last month, firefighter/paramedic Christ Schmelzer, president of Chicago Ridge Professional Firefighters Local 3098, said there was a “lot of tension in the firehouse” with Muszynski’s departure and the potential changes to the department.
Deetjen had no comment about Chicago Ridge exploring other firefighting or ambulance options but did say “there’s ample opportunity to run fire departments more efficiently.” He said he expects Sheets to hit the ground running, saying he will soon meet with Chicago Ridge’s 13 firefighters to “get to know them better.”
“He’s a good public safety manager, a good firefighter. I think they’re going to like George very much. The men and women of our department like George,” Deetjen said.
anonnymus

Oak Lawn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Saturday Jul 12
 
By George wrote:
Oak Lawn Fire Chief George Sheets is getting a new job, but he’s not leaving his current one. Under an agreement unanimously approved Tuesday night by the Oak Lawn village board, Sheets will remain as chief while also overseeing the Chicago Ridge Fire Department through 2016.
The Chicago Ridge Village Board is expected to approve the agreement at its July 15 meeting, Oak Lawn Village Manager Larry Deetjen said.
Deetjen said Chicago Ridge Mayor Chuck Tokar approached Oak Lawn with the idea of Sheets becoming fire chief in both villages. Tokar could not be reached Tuesday night regarding Sheets taking over as the village’s fire chief.
Sheets left the village board meeting before it was over and declined to comment on taking over the neighboring fire department.
The move comes a few weeks after Chicago Ridge Fire Chief Robert Muszynski resigned; citing “personal differences” with the village’s elected officials, specifically Tokar, over possible changes the village is considering for the fire department.
His resignation came at the urging of Tokar, several Chicago Ridge trustees have said, but the board accepted Muszynski’s letter of resignation last month.
Muszynski’s resignation occurred several weeks after the village board encouraged Tokar to look at whether firefighting and/or ambulance service could be provided more efficiently — a move that has Chicago Ridge firefighters worried about losing their jobs.
The changes under consideration could include hiring a private ambulance service or eliminating the fire department and joining a fire protection district, Tokar has said.
Last month, firefighter/paramedic Christ Schmelzer, president of Chicago Ridge Professional Firefighters Local 3098, said there was a “lot of tension in the firehouse” with Muszynski’s departure and the potential changes to the department.
Deetjen had no comment about Chicago Ridge exploring other firefighting or ambulance options but did say “there’s ample opportunity to run fire departments more efficiently.” He said he expects Sheets to hit the ground running, saying he will soon meet with Chicago Ridge’s 13 firefighters to “get to know them better.”
“He’s a good public safety manager, a good firefighter. I think they’re going to like George very much. The men and women of our department like George,” Deetjen said.
remember the chief of oak lawn fire dept lives in Michigan he stay in a oak lawn provided apartment 5 days a week and lives in mi the rest what happenedto the residency law
Brianm

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Saturday Jul 12
 
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS HAVE BEEN OUT THE WINDOW. HAVENT YOU NOTICED? MICHIGAN? TEXAS? WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS BEGIN AT THE TOP.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Saturday Jul 12
 
Oak Lawn FD is a mess....are you double dipping Mr Sheets???
Disadvantage Ridge

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Monday Jul 14
 
The Ridge gives up control of their department in this deal. No matter what they say, in Oak Lawn the Ridge's goose is cooked. Once this hatchet man dismantles the CRFD, there will be no going back. Out of sight, out of mind. This is truly a great deal for Oak Lawn. The locations of the two Chicago Ridge Stations is optimal for Oak Lawn. Sheets has already started to shed equipment in OL because he is going to use the CRFD apparatus in Oak Lawn. After all he is the Chief. That is the rural Michigan way...the whole state has fire districts. This is one slimy deal.
Ant ony

Evergreen Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Monday Jul 14
 
Disadvantage Ridge wrote:
The Ridge gives up control of their department in this deal. No matter what they say, in Oak Lawn the Ridge's goose is cooked. Once this hatchet man dismantles the CRFD, there will be no going back. Out of sight, out of mind. This is truly a great deal for Oak Lawn. The locations of the two Chicago Ridge Stations is optimal for Oak Lawn. Sheets has already started to shed equipment in OL because he is going to use the CRFD apparatus in Oak Lawn. After all he is the Chief. That is the rural Michigan way...the whole state has fire districts. This is one slimy deal.
Hey Ant ony you need to go to the board meeting tomorrow and let them have it! Oh, all you can do is open your yap on topix. I forgot what a woose you are Ant ony.
Big Meeting Tonight

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Tuesday Jul 15
 
There are many people in CR who can't ignore the uselessness and clueless behavior of the board. Tonight they can change that. But tonight they need to do the RIGHT thing.

Board: Wake up and says NO to the Oak Lawn Invasion.
Bert

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Tuesday Jul 15
 
If Ridgers really want to save some $$ tonight they should start to question the millions of dollars in no bid contracts being given to mike Davies customer Alsterda Construction.
Slug

Gilman, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Tuesday Jul 15
 
Bert wrote:
If Ridgers really want to save some $$ tonight they should start to question the millions of dollars in no bid contracts being given to mike Davies customer Alsterda Construction.
Do you really think this Board cares about a silly conflict of interest? They don't care about those.
Chuck1

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Tuesday Jul 15
 
I'm glad the board voted to hire the OakLawn Fire Cheif to oversee our fire department! Finally we will have a fresh set of eyes to look at our operations and hopefully improveservice and save money. Good job Mayor
ChiRidge

Vienna, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Wednesday Jul 16
 
Question..... over the last several years CR has taken the following actions in this order as I recall. First they bought a million dollar plus fire engine which to their surprise didn't fight in their fire house. Apparently no one measured it before they bought it. Now this Fire engine would certainly come in handy for all the high rise buildings in CR, if their were any. So what to do about the fire engine that was too chubby. I know let's build a huge multi million dollar fire house because we not only have a chubby fire engine but we also have cramped living space for our beloved firemen. So off we go, hammer to nail and we build a shiny new firehouse so we can house our chubby fire engine and our dedicated firemen . I know we have a shiny new fire engine and a shiny new fire house let's just give them to our neighbor Oak Lawn and blame it on those dedicated firemen. Who needs dedicated firemen anyway when we have so many lawyers in town. I hate to say it as a proud resident of Chgo Ridge but this whole FD thing has been a scam from the start and a disgrace on our village. I like this ton but this has been bungled badly and the wrong people(firemen) have the bullseye on their backs
Brew

Lombard, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Wednesday Jul 16
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Lets just build a firehouse in Texas. That way the chubby firetruck and chubby trustee have a place to go.
JJACK

Joliet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Thursday Jul 17
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I yam wud I yam. I fight to the finich when I eats my spinach
By George

Evergreen Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Thursday Jul 17
 
PROMOTED FIREMEN "BOYCOTT" VILLAGE BOARD MEETING

Residents attending the July 8th
Village Board Meeting may have been
stunned when all nine firemen, of
various ranks, failed to show at the
"show" to receive "congratulations" on
their promotions to various ranks
including Captain and Lieutenant. The
Mayor and the Board Majority have
been backing Village Manager Larry
Deetjen's attack upon the firefighters
that began when he came to town and
continues to this day. The firefighters
apparently were tired of being used as
props for the camera.
Freddy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Friday Jul 18
 
Chubby trustee got his vengeance
JJACK

Joliet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Friday Jul 18
 
I yam wud I yam
Ridge 2015

Evergreen Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Sunday Jul 20
 
By George wrote:
Oak Lawn Fire Chief George Sheets is getting a new job, but he’s not leaving his current one. Under an agreement unanimously approved Tuesday night by the Oak Lawn village board, Sheets will remain as chief while also overseeing the Chicago Ridge Fire Department through 2016.
The Chicago Ridge Village Board is expected to approve the agreement at its July 15 meeting, Oak Lawn Village Manager Larry Deetjen said.
Deetjen said Chicago Ridge Mayor Chuck Tokar approached Oak Lawn with the idea of Sheets becoming fire chief in both villages. Tokar could not be reached Tuesday night regarding Sheets taking over as the village’s fire chief.
Sheets left the village board meeting before it was over and declined to comment on taking over the neighboring fire department.
The move comes a few weeks after Chicago Ridge Fire Chief Robert Muszynski resigned; citing “personal differences” with the village’s elected officials, specifically Tokar, over possible changes the village is considering for the fire department.
His resignation came at the urging of Tokar, several Chicago Ridge trustees have said, but the board accepted Muszynski’s letter of resignation last month.
Muszynski’s resignation occurred several weeks after the village board encouraged Tokar to look at whether firefighting and/or ambulance service could be provided more efficiently — a move that has Chicago Ridge firefighters worried about losing their jobs.
The changes under consideration could include hiring a private ambulance service or eliminating the fire department and joining a fire protection district, Tokar has said.
Last month, firefighter/paramedic Christ Schmelzer, president of Chicago Ridge Professional Firefighters Local 3098, said there was a “lot of tension in the firehouse” with Muszynski’s departure and the potential changes to the department.
Deetjen had no comment about Chicago Ridge exploring other firefighting or ambulance options but did say “there’s ample opportunity to run fire departments more efficiently.” He said he expects Sheets to hit the ground running, saying he will soon meet with Chicago Ridge’s 13 firefighters to “get to know them better.”
“He’s a good public safety manager, a good firefighter. I think they’re going to like George very much. The men and women of our department like George,” Deetjen said.
The Contract will be changed as soon as the Incumbent Trustees that are sitting on the board are gone. New Blood. Get rid of these losers.
Ridge Watch

Evergreen Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Sunday Jul 20
 
I hope and await an investigation into Chief Baldermans pension scams. It is a travesty how he has taken advantage of the system & taxpayers. I truly believe that if this is investigated there will be more officials from Chicago Ridge under Federal indictment.
The Truth

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Yesterday
 
Heres how the scam worked.

Burt Odelson was the lawyer for the police pension fund and was on the board of directors at New City Bank. For some reason Baldy wanted to quit as police chief. He goes to Burt to make a deal. Burt goes to Baldy's father who just happens to be President of New City Bank. They come up with a plan. Next thing Baldy is hurt and has to go off on disability. Davies will sell his fellow trustees on the deal in return for all of the New City Bank legal business from Baldys father. Davies rammed it through and history was made.

6 months later Baldy is working as a school custodian in Will county and Davies has all the legal business he can handle. The pension fund went through the motion of suing Burt but the charges are sticking so far.

The problem is that Burt's legal representation was not negligent. It was intentional. A intentional criminal act that Ridgelanders will have to pay for decades.

The Feds know about this and launched an investigation 2 months ago. These guys are going away. Anytime about now they will begin to wear a wire, so be careful what you say to them.

One last thing. New City bank failed in 2011. The bailout cost taxpayers $125,000,000.
Part Time FD

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
23 hrs ago
 
We dont need a full time fire department. Look around people. Several towns in our area rum more calls and provide just as good as service as does CRFD oh and a couple of the towns actually run more calls. So ho we can they do it and we can not? It would save us a lot of money. We don't need full time firefighters.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Dixmoor Discussions

Search the Dixmoor Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
I grew up in Midlothian Facebook Page (Jul '13) 21 min Laura 87
4th of July flags 58 min ALI 35
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Joe Rock Extreme Auto 48,920
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr Joe Rock Extreme Auto 3,831
State Rep 28th Bob Rita is not addressing the ... 2 hr Oahin 7
City Attorney ShawnTe Raines has No Municipal A... (Jan '14) 2 hr Fest 47
Hog Wild Restaurant 3 hr WTF 27
•••
•••
•••
•••

Dixmoor Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Dixmoor People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Dixmoor News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Dixmoor
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••