First Prev
of 3
Next Last
kcc

Blue Island, IL

#1 Nov 22, 2013
Robbins police chief fired
November 21, 2013
Robbins Police Chief Mel Davis was fired Wednesday night amid a state investigation into the apparently phony law enforcement history of a part-time police captain who quit this week.
Davis said he was made the scapegoat for the controversy over the hiring of Douglas J. Smith to head the police department’s internal affairs bureau.
“I’m disappointed, sad, frustrated and angry at the same time,” Davis said.“I did due diligence when I did my job. I got trampled over.”
The SouthtownStar reported that a state regulatory agency sent a letter to Davis and Mayor Tyrone Ward on Nov. 14, threatening to pursue charges against Smith for impersonating a police officer and unlawful use of weapons if he stayed on the job.
If Smith were not removed immediately, Davis and Ward could be charged with official misconduct, according to the letter from Kevin McClain, executive director of the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board.
Smith, 61, of South Holland, carried a handgun throughout his three months as a Robbins police captain, even though he did not complete mandatory firearm training as required under state law.
Davis said he sent an email to village officials Nov. 14, asking permission to fire Smith and saying he had Smith’s termination papers drawn up. No one got back to him, he said.
“At this point, I’m at a loss for words,” Davis said, adding that he learned of his firing through a letter mailed to his house.
He declined to say who sent him the letter, saying only that it came from “village officials.”
Davis said he believes the department is now being run by Deputy Chief Hashi Jaco, who introduced him to Smith.
But Jaco said Thursday night that he has not been appointed acting police chief and is unaware of who’s in charge of the police force now that Davis has been dismissed.
Ward could not be reached for comment Thursday.
Ward tapped Davis to be police chief in May, five months after about 200 rape kits, some nearly 30 years old, had languished untested in a police department evidence room. Davis’ salary was set at $50,000.
Davis and Smith were among the police officers whom Ward pledged during an August news conference would clean up the department.
Authorities in Los Angeles, New Jersey and Georgia, where Smith claims to have worked in law enforcement, told investigators for the state training board that their records did not indicate that Smith ever worked for them, according to documents obtained by the SouthtownStar.
Those documents also show that Smith submitted to investigators as proof of his past employment with the Los Angeles Police Department a photocopy of an LAPD badge bearing the number 714 — the badge number of the fictional character Sgt. Joe Friday from the old TV show,“Dragnet.”
Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart announced this week that he wants his department to take over the Robbins police force, citing mismanagement and serious problems within the department, including the hiring of Smith.
Sheriff’s police have been assisting Robbins police with murder investigations, rape cases and patrols since February.
Cara Smith, Dart’s chief of policy and communications, said Thursday evening that Davis’ firing makes the sheriff’s proposal all the more necessary.
“There’s no one running the ship,” she said.“There’s an absence of leadership in the police department, and that’s as close to a crisis as you can get.”
While welcoming the sheriff’s police assistance, Ward has rejected the idea of them taking over the police department.
Credentials

Chicago, IL

#2 Nov 22, 2013
Credentials are essential for the job.
Not Just Any Credential

Chicago, IL

#3 Nov 22, 2013
Credentials wrote:
Credentials are essential for the job.
Very Specific Credentials are Required for the job.
WTH

Chicago, IL

#4 Nov 22, 2013
is this the same idiot from Calumet Park or CPD????
Christopher Irving

Orland Park, IL

#5 Nov 22, 2013
When Blue Island corruption is exposed, It still continues.
When people are appointed to higher positions in Blue Island with no qualifications,the city will send them to school to be certified for the position.
They are paid to go to school.
They are paid their salary.
The city pays for school.
Their heads swell beyond scientific capabilities.
Wait til summer to see the new part time sworn
officers that we paid for.....
Res

Oak Forest, IL

#6 Nov 22, 2013
"I did due diligence". Really? Numbnutts, due diligence would have been to check his employment history by doing a "background" before you hire him, like everyone else. Disband that roving band of cowboys.
Risky Business

Chicago, IL

#7 Nov 22, 2013
ZZZZZZZZ, The people in charge of many communities are substituting their own brand of "APPROVED" push it through; he/she has plenty of working knowledge, that state regulatory agencies would have a problem with.
ha ha ha

Orland Park, IL

#8 Nov 23, 2013
Christopher Irving wrote:
When Blue Island corruption is exposed, It still continues.
When people are appointed to higher positions in Blue Island with no qualifications,the city will send them to school to be certified for the position.
They are paid to go to school.
They are paid their salary.
The city pays for school.
Their heads swell beyond scientific capabilities.
Wait til summer to see the new part time sworn
officers that we paid for.....
Ha ha ha, you're killing me, Ha ha ha, you are dead right! I wish Tom Dart would take the time to investigate B.I. like he is with Robbins. Maybe Lisa Madigan should look into the B.I. circus.
Duh Oh

Orland Park, IL

#9 Nov 23, 2013
here is an idea, Find a chief that has no connections to B.I or the Ritas. Do NOT appoint from within. The whole group who has been sent to school to be a chief,and has the credentials for the job, was hand picked by the former chief, in effect, keeping the same school of thought, and owing the same people who have run the place into the ground. The former chief sent his favorites to the Staff and Command School, and he promoted them in ranks to assure that when it came time for a new chief, his group was the only qualified candidates, so, same administration, just a different face at the top. It's political poker. If you want change, you have to look beyond the obvious candidates. Ask the administration for a list of people who have been to that school, you will see the pattern, if they even give you the list. While you are at it, ask who paid for the old chief, deputy chief and others to attend the Calumet College of St. Joseph's to obtain their degrees ? I'll bet you don't get an answer about that either.
Lynn Duh

Blue Island, IL

#10 Nov 23, 2013
Duh Oh wrote:
here is an idea, Find a chief that has no connections to B.I or the Ritas. Do NOT appoint from within. The whole group who has been sent to school to be a chief,and has the credentials for the job, was hand picked by the former chief, in effect, keeping the same school of thought, and owing the same people who have run the place into the ground. The former chief sent his favorites to the Staff and Command School, and he promoted them in ranks to assure that when it came time for a new chief, his group was the only qualified candidates, so, same administration, just a different face at the top. It's political poker. If you want change, you have to look beyond the obvious candidates. Ask the administration for a list of people who have been to that school, you will see the pattern, if they even give you the list. While you are at it, ask who paid for the old chief, deputy chief and others to attend the Calumet College of St. Joseph's to obtain their degrees ? I'll bet you don't get an answer about that either.
Thank You for the Great Information. Do you have any more?
Wild Guess

Chicago, IL

#11 Nov 23, 2013
Duh Oh wrote:
The Underappreciated Blue Island Taxpayers PAID for those DEGREES; just as they have PAID for
EVERYTHING Tooth Picks and Beyond.
At All Times

Chicago, IL

#12 Nov 23, 2013
Starting Friday, four Cook County sheriff’s police officers and a sergeant will be working the streets of Robbins at all times, a sheriff’s department official said.

Cara Smith, Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart’s chief of communication and policy, announced the change and said Robbins officials didn’t respond to Dart’s earlier plan to take over the village’s troubled police department. She called the department’s staffing “less than skeletal.”

“It is significantly expanding our presence and I think we would be better knowing there is more support in that community than they previously have had,” Smith said.

During an earlier interview with the SouthtownStar, Jaco said the sheriff’s police is “not there to be my friend, for sure.”
Commander Obvious

New Lenox, IL

#13 Nov 24, 2013
Lynn Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank You for the Great Information. Do you have any more?
Just look at who's praised by the current administration and who's not, that should let you know who's part of the inner circle. Birds of a feather, I'll scratch your back...etc.
Chain of Command

Midlothian, IL

#14 Nov 24, 2013
Commander Obvious wrote:
<quoted text>
Just look at who's praised by the current administration and who's not, that should let you know who's part of the inner circle. Birds of a feather, I'll scratch your back...etc.
Who can you trust with workplace conflicts when there is no Chief? Rita- Vargas's BFF? This is a no win situation for our force.
Titanic

New Lenox, IL

#15 Nov 24, 2013
“There’s no one running the ship,” she said.“There’s an absence of leadership in the police department, and that’s as close to a crisis as you can get.”
Life On the Edge

Chicago, IL

#16 Nov 24, 2013
Titanic wrote:
There is no government official or city employee in Blue Island who’s willing to comment about anything on record. Given the poor financial health, sad political climate; it is quite understandable.
Chain of Command

Midlothian, IL

#17 Nov 24, 2013
Life On the Edge wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no government official or city employee in Blue Island who’s willing to comment about anything on record. Given the poor financial health, sad political climate; it is quite understandable.
Frustrated citizens, no outlet for discourse for employees, substandard authority figures. This can become very stressful for those directly involved with this administration. We need change and soon!
Ceviche

Chicago, IL

#18 Nov 24, 2013
Chain of Command wrote:
<quoted text>
Frustrated citizens, no outlet for discourse for employees, substandard authority figures. This can become very stressful for those directly involved with this administration. We need change and soon!
Wilted and withering, Blue Island is more unhealthy today than the day Vargas was sworn in as mayor. He is clueless.
We believe

Midlothian, IL

#19 Nov 24, 2013
Chain of Command wrote:
<quoted text>
What then could possibly be the reason,why the small local paper supports the inappropriate actions of Vargas and crew? It makes you wonder what or who is controlling the paper. Keep spreading the word about Topix.
Systematically Dismantled

Chicago, IL

#20 Nov 24, 2013
Mayor Vargas continues to systematicallly dismantled and drain Blue Island of any and all assets.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Merry Christmas (Dec '11) 21 min Mike 25
Disco Dave Conrad Mayors choice 2 hr Thanks for Thinki... 8
Administrative leave is a must for Michael Corn... 3 hr Just a Hunch 29
December 2015 Vargas 3 hr We Believe 10
At least 3 wounded in Chicago shootings 6 hr reality is a crutch 1
Former Midlothian cop convicted striking man wi... 8 hr Civil servant 23
Long Whistles 9 hr concenedworried c... 3
Dixmoor Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web