I-Team: Bridges of Blue Island

I-Team: Bridges of Blue Island

There are 43 comments on the ABC7 Chicago story from Mar 27, 2014, titled I-Team: Bridges of Blue Island. In it, ABC7 Chicago reports that:

The I-Team investigates a bridge problem that has residents fuming, the state of Illinois scrambling and a new mayor dealing with a transportation nightmare.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC7 Chicago.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jason

Blue Island, IL

#49 Jul 12, 2014
Fix the Bridges First wrote:
Blue Island eyes rowing center, larger marina
By Nick Swedberg Correspondent July 11, 2014 7:22PM
A shout-out from Gov. Pat Quinn’s office has drawn attention to a developing project along the Calumet Sag Channel in Blue Island.
Building on the success of rowing events in years past, Blue Island officials are examining the feasibility of building a rowing center to serve Division I collegiate competition and expanding an existing marina along the shipping canal.
A report from Quinn’s office on the Millennium Reserve project named Blue Island’s proposed Intercollegiate Rowing Center and Marina as a high priority. The Millennium Reserve initiative stretches from south of Lake Shore Drive through Chicago’s South Side into the Southland.
The project is intended to help boost projects that foster economic growth, restore the environment and promote healthy communities within a 210-square mile area. It also will expand green space in the Chicago area by 140,000 acres.
Mayor Domingo Vargas believes the proposed projects will spur the local economy and continue a trend he has seen in recent years of the city becoming a “destination place.”
In 2007 and 2008, Blue Island hosted several rowing competitions, including the Cochrane Cup and the Southland Regatta. The Cal-Sag Channel also was used for rowing during the 1959 Pan American Games.
“We’ve wanted to try and find a way to make (such events) more sustainable … and create an economic opportunity for the entire Southland region,” said Jason Berry, Blue Island’s deputy director of planning and building.
Berry said the city is studying the feasibility of the rowing center and marina expansion through a grant from the Chicago Community Trust. Until that’s done, the city won’t know the demand, how large the facilities should be and how much they would cost, he said.
Blue Island’s privately owned marina has 88 boat slips on Fay’s Point, a peninsula that juts into the Cal-Sag Channel. The city is looking to purchase the marina from developer Mack Cos.
Within the marina, a new boathouse would serve a range of functions, such as storage, meeting space or possibly a restaurant, city officials said.
By next year, Blue Island’s portion of the 26-mile Cal-Sag Trail will be complete and will run through the marina. The trail, now under construction, will run from Illinois 83 near Lemont to the Burnham Greenway near the Indiana border
“I think it’s really important to show people that these waterways are an asset,” Berry said.
It is more and more obvious. Attorney Mayor Vargas, does not know what he is doing.

Open the bridges, rebuild the infrastructure. Develop the Uptown Business District. Reduce the crime rate, improve school test scores.

It seems like the Rita family is not managing Blue Island very good. Does It?
Big Dummy

Maywood, IL

#50 Jul 12, 2014
Fix the Bridges First wrote:
Blue Island eyes rowing center, larger marina
By Nick Swedberg Correspondent July 11, 2014 7:22PM
A shout-out from Gov. Pat Quinn’s office has drawn attention to a developing project along the Calumet Sag Channel in Blue Island.
Building on the success of rowing events in years past, Blue Island officials are examining the feasibility of building a rowing center to serve Division I collegiate competition and expanding an existing marina along the shipping canal.
A report from Quinn’s office on the Millennium Reserve project named Blue Island’s proposed Intercollegiate Rowing Center and Marina as a high priority. The Millennium Reserve initiative stretches from south of Lake Shore Drive through Chicago’s South Side into the Southland.
The project is intended to help boost projects that foster economic growth, restore the environment and promote healthy communities within a 210-square mile area. It also will expand green space in the Chicago area by 140,000 acres.
Mayor Domingo Vargas believes the proposed projects will spur the local economy and continue a trend he has seen in recent years of the city becoming a “destination place.”
In 2007 and 2008, Blue Island hosted several rowing competitions, including the Cochrane Cup and the Southland Regatta. The Cal-Sag Channel also was used for rowing during the 1959 Pan American Games.
“We’ve wanted to try and find a way to make (such events) more sustainable … and create an economic opportunity for the entire Southland region,” said Jason Berry, Blue Island’s deputy director of planning and building.
Berry said the city is studying the feasibility of the rowing center and marina expansion through a grant from the Chicago Community Trust. Until that’s done, the city won’t know the demand, how large the facilities should be and how much they would cost, he said.
Blue Island’s privately owned marina has 88 boat slips on Fay’s Point, a peninsula that juts into the Cal-Sag Channel. The city is looking to purchase the marina from developer Mack Cos.
Within the marina, a new boathouse would serve a range of functions, such as storage, meeting space or possibly a restaurant, city officials said.
By next year, Blue Island’s portion of the 26-mile Cal-Sag Trail will be complete and will run through the marina. The trail, now under construction, will run from Illinois 83 near Lemont to the Burnham Greenway near the Indiana border
“I think it’s really important to show people that these waterways are an asset,” Berry said.
If persons can not walk or drive across the closed bridges due to their dangerous level of disrepair; it is probably not a good idea for water craft of any kind to be under the bridges either.
Brilliant

Maywood, IL

#51 Jul 12, 2014
People hurt and property damaged from debris falling from the deteriorating bridges will provide countless crippling lawsuits for the municipality of Blue Island.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Open Letter to All Veteran's 3 hr Joe Taxpayer 15
Open Meeting Violation BI Park 4 hr Ben Dover 8
Could Officer Frank Podbielniak be the next BI ... (May '10) 4 hr Joe Taxpayer 244
Oak Forest taxpayers consider abandoned annexat... 5 hr Kuspa Douche 1
John Kasparek New City Auditor Addresses City C... (Oct '15) 6 hr Joe Taxpayer 51
Solve the Robbie Silva Case (Dec '12) 6 hr CASA 177
News Man Fatally Shot In South Suburban Harvey (Apr '06) Jun 27 A Lloyd 119

Dixmoor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dixmoor Mortgages