Blue Island eyes rowing center, larger marina

Jul 11, 2014 Full story: The Southtown Star 43

A shout-out from Gov. Pat Quinn's office has drawn attention to a developing project along the Calumet Sag Channel in Blue Island.

Full Story
Plan

Chicago, IL

#23 Jul 13, 2014
No Doubt wrote:
<quoted text>
Seller/ Developer/Contractor.
Fay's Point is and has been a bust.
All want out including seniors.
If this was in fact a good idea and a money maker the current owner would not be selling
he would keep it and reap from it.

Since: May 14

Frankfort, IL

#24 Jul 13, 2014
Water front property makes money. Even though it's the shitty canal, a marina type development consisting of homes condos or townhomes would fit well. Problem is everybody is to greedy. They want ridiculous profits and of course mismanagement once something is built usually kills the plan!!
the flood

Blue Island, IL

#25 Jul 13, 2014
Kevin Brown wrote:
<quoted text>
You really don't pay attention, do you? The bridges will be opened. And wasn't much of the flooding yesterday caused by a CSX mistake? That doesn't get the city completely off the hook, but come on man... Same old rhetoric that everybody else throws around on here.
You obviously do not reside in Blue Island. For twenty four years Attorney Mayor Vargas ,totally neglected the problems of the Thirteenth Precinct. One specific problem is the problem with flooding. This area is two miles from what you are referring to. And yesterday it had one of those hundred years flood.
Mike Mech

Chicago, IL

#26 Jul 13, 2014
Kevin Brown wrote:
<quoted text>
You really don't pay attention, do you? The bridges will be opened. And wasn't much of the flooding yesterday caused by a CSX mistake? That doesn't get the city completely off the hook, but come on man... Same old rhetoric that everybody else throws around on here.
Mr. Brown, I like the way you think! There could be positive growth from this. I'm also using my real name. We need to move forward, and plan for the future and the big picture.
Kevin Brown

Hobart, IN

#27 Jul 13, 2014
the flood wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously do not reside in Blue Island. For twenty four years Attorney Mayor Vargas ,totally neglected the problems of the Thirteenth Precinct. One specific problem is the problem with flooding. This area is two miles from what you are referring to. And yesterday it had one of those hundred years flood.
I can't argue against the flooding issues in the other areas, but that can be fixed along with other initiatives. Not just one or the other. I agree with you, though - The flooding issues absolutely need to be fixed. Hopefully they go in the same direction as the progress that is finally being made with the bridge situation.
When

Chicago, IL

#28 Jul 13, 2014
Kevin Brown wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't argue against the flooding issues in the other areas, but that can be fixed along with other initiatives. Not just one or the other. I agree with you, though - The flooding issues absolutely need to be fixed. Hopefully they go in the same direction as the progress that is finally being made with the bridge situation.
Is there a project manager and time table for the demolition of the Division St. Bridge?
If the project is to be completed before 12/31/2014, they need to get started.
Kevin Brown

Hobart, IN

#29 Jul 13, 2014
Mike Mech wrote:
<quoted text> Mr. Brown, I like the way you think! There could be positive growth from this. I'm also using my real name. We need to move forward, and plan for the future and the big picture.
Good for you, Mike! And thanks… I'm not surprised to see you on here as another voice of reason.

You're absolutely right. For the greater good of the future of Blue Island, the big picture is most important. For my tax dollars, if that means I have to deal with my street getting potholes patched for the next ten years - so be it. I only have to drive a few hundred feet on it everyday. And if that frees up money to do things that will make a bigger impact on the well-being of the city I love so much… I'm all for it. I can deal with the small inconvenience. Especially if those bigger-impact initiatives mean that someday the city will finally have the money coming in to address infrastructure issues like street paving and drainage and beautification. The rowing center, the Cal Sag Trail… These projects cost millions of dollars, but much of that money doesn't come from the city. It comes from the state, from fundraising, from grants, like the Millennium Reserve project. If we don't capitalize on these opportunities another city will. The money will be spent elsewhere and we'll be left with nothing. If we do capitalize on them it could lead to a self-sustaining Blue Island economy that has been gone for decades. But we're poised to bring it back.
Kevin Brown

Hobart, IN

#30 Jul 13, 2014
When wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there a project manager and time table for the demolition of the Division St. Bridge?
If the project is to be completed before 12/31/2014, they need to get started.
I don't know the exact dates, but I know from my sources that the bridge project is funded, and is currently in the engineering process with a letting date. I don't know that exact date, but from all accounts it looks like it will reopen in late 2015, early 2016. Not sure if they can repair the bridge or if it will need to be completely rebuilt…

The Chatham Street bridge is also completely funded as part of the Cal Sag Trail that is scheduled to open up through Blue Island next year.
Essentials First

Chicago, IL

#31 Jul 13, 2014
Kevin Brown wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know the exact dates, but I know from my sources that the bridge project is funded, and is currently in the engineering process with a letting date. I don't know that exact date, but from all accounts it looks like it will reopen in late 2015, early 2016. Not sure if they can repair the bridge or if it will need to be completely rebuilt…
The Chatham Street bridge is also completely funded as part of the Cal Sag Trail that is scheduled to open up through Blue Island next year.
The Chatham St. Bridge will be a walking bridge repairs funded through donations to Cal Sag.
Division St bridge to be demolished. The funding is there through IDOT.

Blue Island residents are not enjoying the MOAT and are tired of going around. Business has been harmed by this poor planning.

The council needs to eliminate non-essentials and fund essentials ie bridge, sewer, and water mains before winter.

We ALL know Blue Island is Broke and meeting payroll through the water bills. Get the the essential projects completed before winter or there will be more water main breaks, flooding will continue, and people will continue to endure the moat.
Get a clue

Midlothian, IL

#32 Jul 13, 2014
Kevin Brown wrote:
<quoted text>
Sir, while I understand your defensiveness about your community, I wholeheartedly disagree with you. There still is no capital to re-open the bridges. That is just a ploy by a certain political party to keep you engaged in their pipe dreams. I am more pragmatic than yourself and realize the reason that Borders Bookstore refused to take residence in Blue Island was for several reasons. Reasons why many other businesses have refused to locate here. A few being our economic and demographic population along with the right parcels to accommodate parking. How will a two lane street improve that? Now, while I appreciate your enthusiasm, I will respectfully disagree with you. When our infrastructure is strong and our deplorable roads, that most certainly flood, are repaired then we can focus on other agenda's. Perhaps, taking a walking tour down Western ave. to peruse the empty storefronts will wake you up to the real issues that are presented here on this forum. Cheerleading is good, but when you attend the next Council meeting you may want to open your eyes a little wider to the real deals going on underneath your nose.
Where the Money Goes

Chicago, IL

#33 Jul 13, 2014
Kevin Brown wrote:
Haha You people are so damn paranoid. If I was a part of city government, I definitely wouldn't even waste my time with you screwballs. If I stood to gain anything financially from a rowing center, I would care even less about what you fools think. As a parent, a husband, a proud Blue Islander, and a person who is just plain smarter than the rest of you... I just hope I'm part of a majority of people who get it, instead of the screaming minority of idiots - you people - who never will. I only care about what's best for Blue Island so my wife and I can raise our kids in fun, safe, and prosperous community.
Did you ever think... Hmmm, it is possible that even though there is no hotel in Blue Island, this influx of people could create a need for one? Or on a smaller scale, some bed and breakfast businesses could start to pop up? As it stands, even without a hotel, there are plenty of places where people can spend their money while visiting Blue Island. Restaurants, great craft beer bars, bakeries. And we could be even more economically diverse if the demand for these places increases with an influx of more visitors. This rowing center, combined with the Cal Sag Trail, the continued development of Olde Western Ave, and returning Western Ave to two-way traffic - as well as beautifying that stretch of road - will bring more visitors/money to the city, creating jobs in BI, and making more public works projects possible - Giving you people less and less to bitch about.
I'm pretty curious to see what you guys think of next since we're pulling out of the JAWA and the bridges will be reopened. Whatever it is, it will just continue to be baseless blather with no real reasoning or facts to back up your opinions.
Why don't you people go back to screaming at kids to get off your lawn? DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE, OR GET OUT OF THE WAY.
By the way, my real name is on this post. I don't have to hide behind the anonymity of a computer screen like you guys. I'm at every city council meeting... I'm always down for a healthy face to face debate. Come say hello.
Blue Island STILL has to be VOTED OUT of SSJAWA.
Either way; In or Out; Blue Island has to PAY 11% of $5.7 MILLION DOLLARS;
plus Interest and Fees for the Sale of BONDS for a FEASIBILITY STUDY that was NEVER, EVER, EVER; PRODUCED as AGREED.

Among the things increasing is;
Blue Island Municipal Debt exponentially;
with the worst part about it being the taxpayers;
have NOTHING to show for ALL that's been SPENT.
what a mess

Blue Island, IL

#34 Jul 13, 2014
Where the Money Goes wrote:
<quoted text>
plus Interest and Fees for the Sale of BONDS for a FEASIBILITY STUDY that was NEVER, EVER, EVER; PRODUCED as AGREED.
At the last council meeting July 8, 2014 City Treasurer Carmine Biloto when asked when is the next JAWA meeting announced. There is not one. He must attend the next JAWA meeting which is July 24, 2014 and vote to have Blue Island removed as a member. There is a chance that the remaining members will not permit Blue Island to so easily leave there scurrilous grip of JAWA. Thank you for the above information
Mr G

Midlothian, IL

#35 Jul 13, 2014
Kevin Brown wrote:
Haha You people are so damn paranoid. If I was a part of city government, I definitely wouldn't even waste my time with you screwballs. If I stood to gain anything financially from a rowing center, I would care even less about what you fools think. As a parent, a husband, a proud Blue Islander, and a person who is just plain smarter than the rest of you... I just hope I'm part of a majority of people who get it, instead of the screaming minority of idiots - you people - who never will. I only care about what's best for Blue Island so my wife and I can raise our kids in fun, safe, and prosperous community.
Did you ever think... Hmmm, it is possible that even though there is no hotel in Blue Island, this influx of people could create a need for one? Or on a smaller scale, some bed and breakfast businesses could start to pop up? As it stands, even without a hotel, there are plenty of places where people can spend their money while visiting Blue Island. Restaurants, great craft beer bars, bakeries. And we could be even more economically diverse if the demand for these places increases with an influx of more visitors. This rowing center, combined with the Cal Sag Trail, the continued development of Olde Western Ave, and returning Western Ave to two-way traffic - as well as beautifying that stretch of road - will bring more visitors/money to the city, creating jobs in BI, and making more public works projects possible - Giving you people less and less to bitch about.
I'm pretty curious to see what you guys think of next since we're pulling out of the JAWA and the bridges will be reopened. Whatever it is, it will just continue to be baseless blather with no real reasoning or facts to back up your opinions.
Why don't you people go back to screaming at kids to get off your lawn? DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE, OR GET OUT OF THE WAY.
By the way, my real name is on this post. I don't have to hide behind the anonymity of a computer screen like you guys. I'm at every city council meeting... I'm always down for a healthy face to face debate. Come say hello.
Mr. Brown, in America, individuals have the right to express their opinions, regardless of weather or not you agree with them. In this case, you have a different viewpoint than the majority of posters. But, to call those that you disagree with "screwballs, fools and idiots" proves that you are not plain smarter than the rest of us.
Like you, we also want to raise our kids in a fun, safe and prosperous community. Unfortunately, Blue Island is non of those. So we demand more of our elected officials and criticize their shortcomings. For that, you call us idiots? Baseless blather? Not very smart of you. If you want to believe that the proposed marina on the border of Calumet Park, far removed from our economic center (Western Avenue) will revitalize Blue Island, then go ahead and dream. We see far more important issues that demand attention NOW!
And finally, when you are feeling all high and mighty, floating around on your pie in the sky, be careful not to fall off. You just might land on the boarded up Klines building.
We believe

Midlothian, IL

#36 Jul 13, 2014
Mr G wrote:
<quoted text>Mr. Brown, in America, individuals have the right to express their opinions, regardless of weather or not you agree with them. In this case, you have a different viewpoint than the majority of posters. But, to call those that you disagree with "screwballs, fools and idiots" proves that you are not plain smarter than the rest of us.
Like you, we also want to raise our kids in a fun, safe and prosperous community. Unfortunately, Blue Island is non of those. So we demand more of our elected officials and criticize their shortcomings. For that, you call us idiots? Baseless blather? Not very smart of you. If you want to believe that the proposed marina on the border of Calumet Park, far removed from our economic center (Western Avenue) will revitalize Blue Island, then go ahead and dream. We see far more important issues that demand attention NOW!
And finally, when you are feeling all high and mighty, floating around on your pie in the sky, be careful not to fall off. You just might land on the boarded up Klines building.
Bravo!
Bob

Alsip, IL

#37 Jul 13, 2014
Better off opening a marijuana dispensary next to Iversons.
Moving Forward

Chicago, IL

#38 Jul 13, 2014
Now is the time to purchase salt, and make repairs to the infrastructure, water mains, streets, and get the Division St. bridge completed. In four months it will be November 13, 2014; it is possible to beat the snow fall and freezing temperatures.
Financial Difficulties

Chicago, IL

#39 Jul 13, 2014
Where the Money Goes wrote:
<quoted text>
Better to have "NO DEAL; THAN ANOTHER BAD DEAL."
Why would elected officials want to eliminate "property taxes" from a "money making marina?"
The marina project Makes No Sense; but probably a lot of "Cent$ for another select few."
Vote out the incumbents

Blue Island, IL

#40 Jul 13, 2014
Essentials First wrote:
<quoted text>
The Chatham St. Bridge will be a walking bridge repairs funded through donations to Cal Sag.
Division St bridge to be demolished. The funding is there through IDOT.
Blue Island residents are not enjoying the MOAT and are tired of going around. Business has been harmed by this poor planning.
The council needs to eliminate non-essentials and fund essentials ie bridge, sewer, and water mains before winter.
We ALL know Blue Island is Broke and meeting payroll through the water bills. Get the the essential projects completed before winter or there will be more water main breaks, flooding will continue, and people will continue to endure the moat.
Every Alderman needs to be replaced April 2015.
caraparrots

Midlothian, IL

#41 Jul 13, 2014
I vote 4 Bob.....
Kevin Brown

Hobart, IN

#42 Jul 13, 2014
I just can't waste my time on you people anymore. I shouldn't have started in the first place! I can't really understand why you people still choose to even live in or talk about Blue Island when it sounds like you'd clearly enjoy your lives living elsewhere. Thank god you're in the kicking, screaming minority. Enjoy your little message board where you all can pat each other on the backs for being a bunch of short-sighted complainers. I have no tolerance for you people, and don't even have the energy to keep making counterpoints when it really doesn't matter. I'll live a much happier, much more fulfilling life knowing I did all I could to impact my community in a positive manner, instead of sitting in the back of the room with my arms folded moaning and complaining.

I choose to spend my energy working with people to get things accomplished. Hopefully you'll all be long gone by the time things really turn around…

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hawley's meltdown. 1 hr Peggy 12
Hey Vargas 3 hr Andy 6
crestwood 4 hr Handcock 5
Kent brothers (Nov '13) 4 hr Ziggy 5
$2.5million to Park District? 4 hr DIggger__70 lies 5
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 5 hr Resident 49,907
So when is Chicago Heights going to can mike S... 5 hr DIggger__70 lies 5
•••
•••
•••

Dixmoor Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Dixmoor People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Dixmoor News, Events & Info