Putting Midlothian on the map update

Putting Midlothian on the map update

Posted in the Dixmoor Forum

anonymous

Chicago, IL

#1 Jan 11, 2014
As this was a favorite phrase of Murawski in a variety of village publications, Midlothian as a village in Illinois had been on "The Map" since May 2, 1927 and hasn't gone anywhere since then. Hell! "The Map" still show Goeselville, Illinois and that's been gone for well over 100 years after Goeselville sold his property...Some of which went to the Midlothian Country Club. So unless someone has a Master Eraser or Master Delete Button...Midlothian, illinois is still located on the same spot it has occupied since 1927.

Perhaps there are a few that believe the names of Rexford or DuPont might make a surprise comeback and insist on a name change...? Of course there is also the Washington identity assigned by Illinois Central Railroad back in the 1860's to worry about I guess...
Really

Midlothian, IL

#2 Jan 12, 2014
Can you share more on what DuPont had to do with the area? I've only seen maps with that name of it.
anonymous

Chicago, IL

#3 Jan 12, 2014
DuPont came to town in 1894 and set up the world's largest gunpowder magazine at the time, as well as setting up the first factory for smokeless gunpowder cartridges here. Newspapers were referring to the location as DuPont, Illinois as they had their own spur by 159th and Cicero. Their property was identified as DuPont Farm and Ammunition storage and was on both sides of the track according to a 1900 Homesteaders map. Some records try to tie in the mass explosion in Lake, Illinois on August 29, 1886 in which lightening struck the Laflin magazine causing the 10+ other magazines to collapse, including DuPont's facility as the reason for DuPont coming to town, but the 6 year gap suggests other motive. In November 1906 an explosion leveled the facility leaving one dead and several injured. By 1907, C. I. Busse had acquired the property across 159th from John Schultz and John Ott and sold it to Cook County so the Oak Forest Infirmary could be built in 1908. Records suggest patients from the hospital were seen cleaning up the mess left behind from the explosion. DuPont never rebuilt and eventually the county took control of the property. Hence, no more DuPont, Illinois.
Really

Midlothian, IL

#4 Jan 12, 2014
Thank you very much. When I was younger I read a story about a explosion at a poweder mill. Was in Midlothian Meadows. The only info I could come up with is that DuPont owned property east of 159th. Thanks again you've been a big help.

Since: Dec 13

Location hidden

#5 Jan 12, 2014
Interesting bit of history. Enjoyed learning about it so thanks.
Really

Midlothian, IL

#6 Jan 12, 2014
There are some foundations in the Medows I've found the don't correspond with a 1939 aerial photos for farmhouses that where there.
anonymous

Chicago, IL

#7 Jan 12, 2014
In the Los Angeles Herald July 6, 1902:

Train Robbers Boot Found

Watches, knives, spoons and jewelry supplies, part of the plunder secured by bandits who robbed the express safe in the Rock Island train at DuPont Thursday night have been found and the indications are that the robbers are near Chicago. A sack containing the plunder was discovered on the farm of Henry Schultz four miles north of Tinley Park.
---------
Schultz's property was next to Charles Ettinger's off of 14th and Central, which isn't 4 miles from DuPont Farm, but the papers didn't always have their measurements provided by gps back then...
Really

Midlothian, IL

#8 Jan 12, 2014
Man I'm finding nothing. Thanks.
anonymous

Chicago, IL

#9 Jan 12, 2014
Keep in mind when searching this far back, both Oak Forest and Midlothian did not exist. Frequently I find Midlothian Country Club being listed as being in Blue Island. Midlothian was 1927 and Oak Forest wasn't until 1947 despite the hospital being built in 1908

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BIue Island Snow Plow Tracker 1 min Midlowatchdog 4
George Schleyer, Promises kept. (May '13) 29 min The Skirt 31
Domingo Vargas next Democratic Mayor of Blue Is... (Apr '09) 2 hr Sydney 279
Rita when does jail start? 3 hr Digger ____70 2
feds in chicago heights (Sep '12) 5 hr Joe Lombardo 7
Code Red... Powered by Topix 6 hr BIIP Results 43
Snow removal, 2014 (Feb '14) 6 hr Resident 246

Dixmoor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance