#1 May 17, 2013
Know it all

Midlothian, IL

#2 May 17, 2013
Oh boy this should be good!
Concerned

Blue Island, IL

#3 May 17, 2013
And yet she tends to "make a difference". I don't think so. Another political person out for their own self.

5yr Midlo Resident

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian, IL

#4 May 17, 2013
Actually I have been wondering this since she was announcing her candidacy. I (apparently wrongly) assumed she would resign the conflicting role as in my opinion, the mayor position will take a huge chunk of her time.

Terry held two jobs as well, but no one called that into question. Being a teacher isn't quite the same, but the fact that the article brings into question how the village provides services to the schools and may engage in various contracts doesn't completely preclude a teacher from having bias.

So I guess this could be a good debate! Sharon's is a little different situation but not entirely unrelated. Would love to hear some thoughts.
koolaid

Naperville, IL

#5 May 17, 2013
What a greedy women. This is exactly the kind of Mayor this town needed. Selfish. So While us lower life forms are struggling to put food on the table our new Mayor is living the good life not willing to part ways with a position in order to give another a opportunity. 1 term and done? I think so Rybak!
Fact Check

Midlothian, IL

#6 May 17, 2013
Being a teacher is your paid profession, not an elected position. This is why no conflict existed with Terry there as your job and your elected job are separate and not under the conflict of interest/incompatible offices purview. However, the law is clear, being a Village President/Mayor and a School Board Member is not allowed, and actually by law Sharon Rybak ceased to be a School Board Member in 228 on May 8th when she was sworn in as Mayor, and did not have legal authority as a School Board Member on May 14th. She does not have to resign as she removed herself by taking the mayoral oath of office.

5yr Midlo Resident

Midlothian, IL

#7 May 18, 2013
Fact Check I read that in the article too, but that is their interpretation of the law. It's not black and white.

And paid profession isn't the question here. He worked in the school where his mayoral influence could have made differences. That was what the author of the article was trying to convey. Not that it was elected versus paid. The point was that as someone on the board for the school and as a mayor she would have the ability to even more influence contracts in their favor. In a way, the same could be said about Terry being a teacher.(Note: I'm not saying he did. Just making the point he could have as anyone in his position could have.)

I guess we shall see what happens though I suspect that interpretation is correct that she in fact resigned by being sworn in.
No Rybak

Midlothian, IL

#8 May 18, 2013
This woman is not fit for any of these positions .
hahaha

Chicago, IL

#9 May 18, 2013
No Rybak wrote:
This woman is not fit for any of these positions .
Oh is that why Terry keeps showing up at everything? Trying to get his position back?? Not gonna happen. He has been hanging around INSIDE village hall when Sharon isn't there. Still trying to run things. Here's what will happen terry.,, you will piss her off to the point that she fires all of them for allowing you in to hang out there. You aren't doing anyone any favors.
details please

Midlothian, IL

#10 May 18, 2013
hahaha wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh is that why Terry keeps showing up at everything? Trying to get his position back?? Not gonna happen. He has been hanging around INSIDE village hall when Sharon isn't there. Still trying to run things. Here's what will happen terry.,, you will piss her off to the point that she fires all of them for allowing you in to hang out there. You aren't doing anyone any favors.
oh and thats the kind of leader we want? a heavy handed power flaunting hot head? i hope u are wrong about her.
Idiotic

Midlothian, IL

#11 May 18, 2013
hahaha wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you realize how idiotic you sound.Terry is ok not being Mayor he has more time with family and doesn't have to deal with morons like you .Youre saying Sharon would fire people because Terry visits ,shows how unfit this woman is for this job .She really should resign.Her improprieties are surfacing she's double dipping with the boards Sharon's always been status hungry but just not capable to succeed in any of her positions.
LawyerUp

Alsip, IL

#12 May 18, 2013
She will fight this using her favorite law firm and hand us the bill...
Powerhungry

Blue Island, IL

#13 May 18, 2013
As of today's date and according to the school board, she is still on the board. And to prove it, here's the website.

http://bhsd228.schoolwires.net/Page/146
OMG

Alsip, IL

#14 May 19, 2013
Seriously? She's been mayor for what? A week? Let her get her bearings. Sounds like terry can't let go to me. And his little followers are just stirring stuff up. The women in front deserve to be fired if they are allowing people that don't work there into the building. Also they treat residents very poorly. There is no dipping double, triple or otherwise. She didn't earn a pension as a school board member and won't as mayor either. The board talked last week about rescinding the ordinance for the mayor to receive a pension. It should be voted on soon. Cut the crap people! Lets get this town running right!
Fact Check

Midlothian, IL

#15 May 19, 2013
OMG wrote:
Seriously? She's been mayor for what? A week? Let her get her bearings. Sounds like terry can't let go to me. And his little followers are just stirring stuff up. The women in front deserve to be fired if they are allowing people that don't work there into the building. Also they treat residents very poorly. There is no dipping double, triple or otherwise. She didn't earn a pension as a school board member and won't as mayor either. The board talked last week about rescinding the ordinance for the mayor to receive a pension. It should be voted on soon. Cut the crap people! Lets get this town running right!
Pensions or no pensions are not the point. This thread was poorly worded. Regardless of any personal feelings either way on the issue, Mrs. Rybak is currently sitting in 2 incompatible elected offices. Actually, to be completely correct, she is acting as a school board member while having legally given up the authority to do so as of May 8th when she was sworn in as Mayor. The law is clear on this. Acceptance of one incompatible office constitutes an immediate and automatic resignation from the other. The attorney general issued an opinion, which is legally binding, in 1980 that a Mayor cannot also be a school board member. Whether Mrs. Rybak or the 228 school board likes it or not, she is no longer legally a member of that board. Just stating facts based on the laws on the books in this state.

“Stay Thirsty my Friends”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#16 May 19, 2013
Fact Check wrote:
<quoted text>Pensions or no pensions are not the point. This thread was poorly worded. Regardless of any personal feelings either way on the issue, Mrs. Rybak is currently sitting in 2 incompatible elected offices. Actually, to be completely correct, she is acting as a school board member while having legally given up the authority to do so as of May 8th when she was sworn in as Mayor. The law is clear on this. Acceptance of one incompatible office constitutes an immediate and automatic resignation from the other. The attorney general issued an opinion, which is legally binding, in 1980 that a Mayor cannot also be a school board member. Whether Mrs. Rybak or the 228 school board likes it or not, she is no longer legally a member of that board. Just stating facts based on the laws on the books in this state.
An opinion from the Attorney General is not a law, it is merely a legal opinion. Its meant for guidance. If the matter went to court, this opinion would be considered in rendering of a decision.

This is all moot however, as Mayor Rybak will soon be formally resigning from the 228 board.
No tubal

Midlothian, IL

#17 May 19, 2013
Jonathan Goldsmith wrote:
<quoted text>
An opinion from the Attorney General is not a law, it is merely a legal opinion. Its meant for guidance. If the matter went to court, this opinion would be considered in rendering of a decision.
This is all moot however, as Mayor Rybak will soon be formally resigning from the 228 board.
awe can't she resign the Mayors position instead

5yr Midlo Resident

Midlothian, IL

#18 May 19, 2013
No tubal I have to admit your post gave me a chuckle, but think about what that would mean. That's not good either. She needs a chance just like the predecessors got. Perhaps you'll be impressed.

Jonathan thank you. That was my point too that it was perception (legal opinion) not necessarily law.

It's good that she is resigning though. She'll run herself ragged trying to do it all, and I think she might be realizing that now.
whatever

Loganville, GA

#19 May 20, 2013
It was never her intention to remain on the school board.
Fact Check

Midlothian, IL

#20 May 20, 2013
Actually it is law, because the law is that taking an incompatible office means you automatically resign the first. That part is law at least that is what I have been told by the Attorney General's office when I have asked in the past. The opinion part of it is when the Attorney General's office renders an opinion on which offices are incompatible. So the situation is one part law (what happens when incompatible offices are held) and one part opinion (AG deciding incompatibility). Also, I will point out that Sharon stated in her Southtown interview that she intended to keep both offices, so yes that was her intention. It could have been taken to court, however, the same case was just adjudicated with Keith Price in Harvey...who was Alderman, Library Trustee, Park Commissioner, and School Board Member....in that case the Attorney General opinion was upheld and he was removed from all but the last one he won (Library), he just won his Alderman seat again two weeks after the ruling which is why he is still Alderman. Sharon would have lost if she had tried to hold on to both. The smart thing is to resign, since she will have her hands full enough as Mayor when she is not working her full time job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dixmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fire Chief to retire 11/30/17 34 min Concerned 6
What would YOU do? 1 hr Tipping Point 13
Water Rate Increase Some Basic Questions 1 hr Cujo 32
Modern Drop Forge to move its Blue Island opera... (Aug '11) 8 hr Wheres BIs Bid 57
stamps 18 hr unionon 1
Shitstain 22 hr lol 31
She Gone 23 hr Be Gone 12

Dixmoor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dixmoor Mortgages